Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. replaced transmission (95 reports)
  2. replace transmission (23 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 8)

Jan 132013

Accord EX 3.2L V6

The engine light turned on so I took it to the car shop to get it diagnosed. The technician said the transmission failed and the cost would be around $4,200. The car only had around 70,600 miles on it. It is a 2002 EX V6 2 door Coupe and I am still thinking whether I should fix it not that I am hearing it might fail in a few years. Might just get a new car instead.

- , Forest Hills, NY, USA

Jul 232011

Accord LX 2.3L

On way home on long road trip, the Transmission started slipping when shifting from 2nd to 3rd, eventually was not able to engage 3rd at all until warmed up. Fluid level was fine, transmission service at dealer had been performed 4 months prior.

Quote from dealer was $3800 for rebuilt transmission installed.

Called Honda of America to see if any warranty / customer loyalty assistance was available, (car had under 50k miles, 3rd accord owned by me, 5th in immediate family).

They covered $1500 of the cost, leaving me with the other $2300 of the bill.

Considering the car was 9 years old, and that Honda had no legal responsibility, I felt pretty good about the support given. I'm quite sure if the car were 5 yrs or newer, they would have covered the full cost.

Net: Honda customer support is good but Honda automatic transmissions are not.

- , Burlington, VT, USA

Oct 012012

Accord 4dr Ulev Lx At 4.0L

My mother gave me her Honda 2002. She's in her late 70s maybe even early 80s by now. Well When she gave me her Honda I was in tears!! I'm a single parent with a 5 year old son. The car had ONLY 53,050 miles on it. I was so grateful to have such a "reliable", car. I have not even had the car for 1 year. Next thing I know, its jumping at the stop sign, then I give it gas and it feels like I'm floating and not going anywhere. I check the tranny fluid its low so I buy the proper Honda Fluid, put some in ( not too much never) Next thing you know I'm driving my son to school and the check engine light comes on and the D4 is flashing. Thank you very much Honda. I need to replace the transmission. I'm soooo bummed I have not even told my Mother or my Brother who has the same make,model, and has over 1000,000 on his Honda. I'm in tears, and feel really bad. Thanks for listing, I mean reading. xoxoo

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 012012

We are going through hell with my daughter's 2002 Honda Accord. My daughter is going to fix the transmission in her piece of junk 2002 Honda Accord, and trade it in for a TOYOTA! She bought the car with only 40,000 miles, and was not aware of the widespread transmission problems with 2002 Honda Accords. She's a poor, struggling single mom who works at a hospital, and needs her car to get back and forth to her son's daycare, and to work. She does not have the money to fix this heap of junk, so we have to help her out at great personal sacrifice. A friend who is a mechanic is going to fix if for her, then she's going to trade it in. We estimate the cost will be about $2,000, and that's with a used transmission installed by a friend.

We want to spread the word far and wide to all U.S. consumers: STAY AWAY FROM 2002 HONDA ACCORDS, and, I'd be leery about investing in any Honda after our experience. The cutthroat dealer here in Denver told her that her warranty had expired, and he couldn't help her. They sold her a lemon knowing she was going to have problems! I hope other consumers heed our warnings, and stay away from Hondas. My husband and I have a 2003 Toyota Highlander, and, knock on wood, we've never had trouble with that car. How is it possible that my daughter has only had her car for two years and it needs such an expensive repair job? I can only conclude that Hondas are riding on the tails of Toyota's good reputation.

- , Denver, CO, USA

Jun 132012

Accord LX 3.2L

My car had been stalling and jerking a bit when I stepped on the gas, brought it to a few different mechanics, they said it was this and that, not the transmission. I read in the honda book that you are suppose to have your transmission flushed every 6 years or 110k miles. Well I did that, apparently it didn't help anything. When I brought it to AAMCO they said my transmission was shot, that when it shifs into 2nd and 3rd those gears were shot, there was so much damage I had to replace my transmission. The metal fragments were going through my whole transmission and the gears were black.

- , Beaverton, OR, USA

Jun 132012

Accord EX 4.0L

I had my 2002 Honda Accord brought in for transmission problems. Per Honda dealer "its safe to drive, drive it until it fails monitor and recontact if needed" As soon as I took the car back and got on the highway with children in the car, the cars transmission failed. Per Honda "my car was safe". I then had another opinion from a mechanic that is trusted in my area. As soon as he took my car around the block he came back and said I need a new transmission. I had bought Honda because they are supposed to be reliable cars and would last me a long time. I would like Honda to take care of this bill as there has been numerous problems with the transmissions in these cars.

- , Prospect Heights, IL, USA

Dec 012011

Never thought I'd have to replace transmission on a HONDA at just 110k miles. Apparently I purchased a Hyundai not a Honda. Shame on Honda for ignoring this issue.

- , Va Beach, VA, USA

Mar 122008

Accord ES 4 cyl

HONDA should man up and at least help with the defect

- , North Highlands, CA, USA

Dec 012011

Accord EX V6

I purchased this vehicle in 2007 from a local dealer who stated they had fixed the transmission, when the car was delivered to me I actually picked it up from the shop so I thought I did my due diligence with known the transmission issues. However, last month I noticed the transmission started leaking significant amounts of fluid, and shortly after it started having problems. When i go from a stop, it hesitates and does not want to move. The engine rev's up, but the car stands still. I am terrified of crossing into traffic, or making any turns as im afraid the car will not move and I will be hit. I do not have the money to replace the transmission. I have purchased 4 Honda's and this will be my last. The newer they are, the less dependable they have become. Poor quality for mass production.

- , Mustang, OK, USA

Jul 162008

Accord EX V6

this is a crummy car and Honda is a crummy company. This was my 3rd ACCORD. after checking into things, realized that the 02 V6 has numerous transmission problems, which were confirmed when I called Honda. However, they said "tough luck" (in nicer words) since it was out of warranty. So at around 75000 miles, had to put in a rebuilt transmission, 12k 12 month warranty, which of course failed at 20,000miles more. So by 96,000 miles, had been through 2 transmissions and didn't have the money or energy to fix again so car has been sitting for 2 years in driveway. Absolutely astounded that Honda did no recalls or at least will pay for parts. They know this is a faulty model. I understand if there are just a few problems being reported, but there are numerous. This is a safety issue. I'm afraid to fix transmission again and give car to my 16 year old, because he won't know what to do if transmission starts to hinder the car's driving. Honda will never sell me another car and I've told everyone how they were unwilling to do anything. It's really sad. My newest car is a Buick Lacrosse with a great factory warranty. They cover their transmission for 100,000 miles. BUY AMERICAN.

- , wilton, ct, USA

Jun 152011

Accord LX 4-cyl

As reported by many others, transmission failed around 110,000. All the regular maintenance performed, including timing belt and transmission fluid. Cost $3000 no warranty coverage. Battery cable also died. I spent nearly $5000 this year for all the repairs and maintenance. Definitely regretting to own this car now.

- , Lexington, MA, USA

Jan 112012

Accord VP V6

I am updating what I said last week when my transmission went out and I had car at dealer to be repaired on 1/12/12.

Well, I was surprised that I did get the car back the very next day. I hope what I am writing here posts again, bc I was not sure how to update what happened. The service adviser called on friday and said that the car was ready. He said Honda was going to help with the costs. I paid 1815 instead of over 3,000. I have to follow-up again on some details though. I signed something to pick up my car and asked for a copy, but the copy I got was just the normal printout of what was done. Transmission and torque converter and something about cleaning out or washing out..don't remember the exact wording there....the "transmission lines? coils? I would have to look at the copy to see what it said on it. I have to verify that was all I signed for bc it was only a few lines in writing. I signed and just asked to have a copy of what I signed to read later. Also there was nothing written about the 3 year warranty the rebuilt transmission would have. I called today and service advisor said it was "in their computer."

So I have to follow-up on a couple things here. Have to be sure I got a copy of whatever I signed to get car out. Also have to see about getting in writing there is a warranty. It helps me a lot, but to be honest I will be still badly hurt financially to have to pick up the 1815.

I was very happy to get the car the next day instead of bumming rides from Thurs til Mon or Tues. Very glad I did get some help, and that the service adviser said he talked to his supervision and they got this done. I just have to be sure I only signed to pick it up and find out what I signed if it was for more than just that. Still feel like Honda should have covered the whole cost since I maintained the car with them so well.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Dec 212011

Accord LX 2.2L

Sudden jerking and/or slipping, "check engine" light kicks on only after a few days.

Very dangerous when it happens during driving.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 182011

Accord LX V6

My Honda has been taken care of by a trusted Honda repair shop for 6 years. I called Roswell Honda dealer in Georgia and spoke to them about the issue. They proceeded to tell me that it didn't really matter what the problem was if I hadn't taken it to them for maintenance. They weren't helpful and seemed to accuse me of not taking care of my car, just because I hadn't taken it to them.

I do not think a Honda should have a faulty transmission after only 120K miles, and feel as if with reported issues from customers about transmission failure I should get some sort of customer service from Honda.

- , Norcross, GA, USA

Jul 202005

Accord LX V4

Transmission got bad just as the warranty expired. It was really very bad. I will never buy any Honda vehicles.

- , Snellville, GA, USA

Jul 072011

Accord EX 4 cyl

Disappointed after my family's loyalty to honda, that they won't recall this problem with the transmission. quoted me a repair at 3,796.00.. when the car is not even worth that much. I don't know what to do, I can't afford this. It's really making me depressed, I thought I was making a good decision when I purchased this car two years ago. I wish I had found this website before i bought the car for 7,000.

Please people- if you can help it- DO NOT BUY THIS CAR.... or any honda for that matter. They can't take responsibility.

- , Henderson, NV, USA

Jul 072011

Accord 2.3L 4 cyl

My Accord transmission died at 71,000 miles. I have several complaints documented while the car was still under warranty. The dealer ( Madison Honda, NJ ) told me back then that there was nothing wrong with the car. I could kick myself for not putting up more of a stink back then. So I put up with the drag and the occasional knock until the car just died.(Yes, I do see how stupid I must look to anyone reading this). Corporate is willing to help me with some of the cost of a re-built, but I feel that this was an inherent problem from the beginning and should have been corrected then. Also, I was told by Corporate that if there had been a problem with the transmission while the car was new, it would have died before now. I see from reading other postings that this isn't true. I also called Lee Myles, Aamco and an independent trans specialist . They all said that, yes, the car could have waited until now to crap out. I am thinking of fixing it at a place other than the Honda dealer and then suing in Small Claims.

- , Kenilworth, NJ, USA

Jun 242010

Accord V6

June 24, 2010 part #652C 72147-S84-A03 description-TRANSMITT, was put on. I was charged $92.51 but credited back so no charge. 09/11/10, car still leaking oil Russ Darrow ordered a part, TRANS SHIFT LINKAGE SEAL LEAKS. SOP. 09/18/10 Russ Darrow installed a new shift link seal and stated no leaks at this time and charged me $188.73 for repairs. 11/01/10 took car back still leaking oil. Russ Darrow checked seal that was installed not leaking. Cleaned area and test drove possible leak from the case. If leak persists may need a trans? 11/11/10 took car back still leaking oil. Now I was being told the car needs a new transmission $3400+TX. LEAKING AT LF AXLE AND TORQUE CONVERTER SEAL. I went to the Manager Gregg Lecher on 11/12/10 and picked up copies of prior invoices I asked him to make for me. Then I asked for my $188.73 refund since the part I paid for was not the problem. He ignored all the voice mail messages I left him. Gregg sent me an email on 08/11/11 thanking me for allowing Russ Darrow to service my car for an oil change. I replied asking about my refund of $188.83 again I got no straight answer from him except he couldn't find any oil problems associated with that part. I responded informing him I have invoices that states otherwise. He responded by offering a credit of $188.73 towards a new transmission. I responded to him by thanking him for finally taking the time to respond to my concern. Yes transmission oil has to be put into the car often to keep it running. What I don't understand is why does the 2002 Honda Accord NOT have the simple shift D for DRIVE. Why does it have only shift 3 and shift 4. The sales person said to drive the car in shift 4. Should it have been driven in shift 3 perhaps? Not sure what or why this Honda's were made the way it was but I will never buy another car unless the D (drive) appears on the gear shift box.

- , Milwaukee, WI, USA

Jul 012011

Accord LX V6

I bought the car new, kept is services as per the manual, on last service, they recommended that I change my transmission fluid. Car did not shift properly afterwards (Honda dealership service). I brought it to the mechanics attention and was told to bring it back in for checking. I did this and left the car for 2 days, they told me they did not detect any irregularity but within a month, the transmission failed. Called Honda US and they said sorry, not their problem due to age of car. I spent years babying this car, keeping it like new, garaging it, servicing it with the dealership, etc. only to have a major part fail without warning. I will now seek another manufacturer to buy my next car and want to warn others that Hondas talk a big talk, but beware of their low quality major parts and systems.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Sep 082011

Accord EX 3.0L V6

2002 Honda Accord 3.0L V6, automatic transmission, 135,700 miles

This 2002 Accord was my 3rd Honda. Had an 88 Civic (manual) - never had a problem.

Had a 2000 Accord. That tranny failed at 84,000 miles and was covered under extended

warranty. When the 2002 Accord tranny failed last week, I called the dealer who told me

$3500 plus tax for a remanufactured tranny. Offered no discounts. Said at 135,000 miles, what do I expect and to try American Honda. Well, I certainly had to pay more for a Honda because of their reputation and I certainly did not think I was buying a car that would have a major component failure. I could have bought any car and saved enough on the purchase price to pay for a new transmission. Called American Honda to tell them about another one of their now well-known transmission failure problems and see if loyalty to Honda counted for anything. Had read that some folks did get American Honda to pay for a remanufactured transmission and the customer pay for the labor. The American Honda rep said that American Honda would not help in any way even though I had bought Hondas for the last 23 years. That's what loyalty to Honda gets you - a $2,750 bill for a transmission rebuild and a corporation and dealership that turns their back on you. The transmission shop that did my work says that they see a steady stream of Hondas. I had to wait for them to finish rebuilding a 2005 Odyssey to start on mine. To anyone that has a Honda - you should seriously think about trading it in on a reliable vehicle or start saving for your transmission rebuild. Its not a question of if it will happen, because it will. Its just a matter of time. Honda does not stand behind its product.

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA