- June 10: U.S. Virgin Islands Sues Honda and Takata news | 16 days ago
- May 13: Hawaii Sues Honda and Takata Over Explosive Airbags news | 44 days ago
- May 8: Honda To Recall 21 Million Takata Airbag Inflators recalls | 49 days ago
- May 5: Two More Malaysian Deaths Possibly Caused by Takata Airbags news | 52 days ago
- April 13: Patricia Mincey: Possibly the 11th U.S. Takata Airbag Death news | 74 days ago
Transmission Slipping And Jerking
2002 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 18)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 90,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure has been a huge problem for the Accord & several other Honda models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accord as a class action lawsuit settlement, but owners of other Accord model years with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 94,478 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 349 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
- replace transmission (50 reports)
- not sure (44 reports)
- replaced transmission (32 reports)
- replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
- Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)