CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

8.0

$2,499.00

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (184 reports)
  2. replace transmission (49 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (31 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 18)

Mar 282015

Accord EX 4 cyl

I went online to see if others were having the same transmission problems and through this website saw that they were. I called Honda and was told that I would need to have a dealership confirm the issue before anything could be discussed. I took it to Walnut Creek Honda and they verified that the transmission would have to be replaced at a cost of $4,650. I then called Honda of America again and was told that, because of the mileage, it couldn't be sent along to even consider a "goodwill repair". They have lost all their goodwill from me despite the fact we own a 2010 Acura TL and recently sold a 2012 Honda Fit. No more Hondas or Acuras in our future.

- , Moraga, CA, USA

Nov 022014

Accord LX 4

Honda does not care if you get killed all they care about is getting MONEY from you . They should be sued and have to give anyone that bought a 2002 Honda Accord a new car !!!!!!!!!

- , Irvine, CA, USA

Feb 102015

Accord LX 4 cyl

2nd time with only an addition of 24K miles! They say that the last place didn't replace the Solenoid. I called Honda gave them my vin number since this is the 2nd time and all they said was take it to a Honda dealership. Why, so they can charge me even more and still not cover it?

- , Buckeye, AZ, USA

Aug 052008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

Was an O.K. car, other than getting stuck in the snow frequently. Before that could even occur, the transmission was jerking when moving out of 1st gear to 2nd. It's the reason I decided against a Honda when I was car shopping last year.

- , Bensenville, IL, USA

Feb 192015

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

AT 53,481 MILES The transmission was replaced under Tameron Honda (Birmingham, AL) extended warranty that I had purchased. At 75,000 miles Tameron did the 75,000 mile transmission service (even thought the transmission had only 21,519 miles of use.

I had Robeman's (a certified Honda Repair Service shop) do the 115,000 mile service (mileage on car 113,102) which included the transmission service. Now at 127,419 miles the transmission is slipping and the gears not working.

I have never had a car with this kind of problems.

- , Birmingham, AL, USA

Dec 162014

Accord EX 4 cyl

I purchased my car in August 2002, it was new but used as a demo, had 5,000 miles on it when I purchased the car.

I will have it 13 years in August and it only has 70,000 miles on it, all in all it's has been a good car. In July 2014, I changed the timing belt and thermostat and water pump cause Honda recommends to do that at 7 to 9 years and I didn't want the belt to break and than have to replace the engine, but this transmission problem came on all of a sudden without any warning.

- , Coral Springs, FL, USA

Aug 182014

Accord EX V6

I bought this Honda off a friend of mine. Never had issues till now. Had shop read code and came up wit p0780. Cost me 4k to fix and that was my savings I had built up. I think these Honda people should of paid for it since its a everlasting problem.

- , West Covina, CA, USA

Aug 012014

Accord EX V6

First indication of a problem was that the Check engine light came on.

Next (minutes later) there was noticeable jerking motion while decelerating.

Computer reports an issue with the transmission.

Was able to drive it 80+ miles back to a Honda service center for repair.

Diagnosis was that the car needs a whole new transmission.

Mileage on the car is 107000 miles... far too early for a Honda to have a major malfunction.

- , Portland, OR, USA

Oct 062010

Accord EX Coupe 3.0L V6

I have driven older Honda's for at least 10 years. So, when I came across this car I had to have it! (mistake) I bought this car,being the second owner. A few months after buying this car, the Transmission(automatic) started slipping, as time went on it had gotten worse. It started out slipping from a stop, then started slipping going into 2nd gear. It couldn't be driven anymore. So I brought it to the local dealership, for an estimate of almost $5000. They said no recall, no warranty.

About a year later the SRS light came on airbags? Just to track down this problem it could cost a few hundred dollars. One more thing some of the Black 2001 and 2002, Honda used cheap paint and clear coat. Therefore they fade quickly. Even way up in the North.

I see there are lots of these complaints, strange how they are the exact same ones huh?

COME ON HONDA BACK YOUR REPUTATION OF MAKING RELIABLE CARS Thanks, Pete

- , Duluth, MN, USA

Mar 172014

Accord LXI

I had the transmission in our 2002 Honda Accord replaced in 2009 when the car had 97,696 miles on it. Went to Honda to have it replaced. Now 4 years later (less than 33,000 miles later) the transmission needs to be replaced again. And Honda will not provide any assistance to replace what I believe was a bad transmission back in 2009 (let alone the original bad transmission). When I call their customer service line they said there is nothing they could do and said the car is 12 years old now -- insinuating that the car is not worth them investing money in or providing financial assistance to me for the repair. I think it is very interesting that they said they gave me a one time goodwill gesture when they sold me the first transmission -- I wonder if by goodwill gesture that is code for we are going to give you a used piece of crap that will last just a little longer than the warranty so that we don't have to cover any further repairs.

I also think it's terrible that Honda would bash the tenure of the car especially given the miles (now 131K) when Honda's are supposed to be such good cars. Seems like they say whatever they need to in order to help their argument. I will not be buying any more Honda's. And I thought I was doing the right thing using Honda parts and going exclusively to the dealership for repairs. I guess I was a fool for doing that.

Seems like there has been a history of Honda and poor transmissions. Seems like they still don't have it under control. Very dangerous and very unprofessional. I gave my son the car in 2011 so that he would have a safe reliable car to drive to and from school and then college. But this is not good. As a corporation they are not acting responsibly, otherwise they would have acknowledged the problem and poor history and would have done the right thing to replace the transmission without charging me yet another $2K+

- , Levittown, PA, USA

Mar 152014

Accord ES V6

Let me start off by saying, I purchased this vehicle in 2002 off the showroom floor, and in 12years it only has 84,000 miles on it. Oil changes every 3000 miles I have all paperwork I purchased a honda because I thought these vehicles we're suppose to be excellent cars,boy was I wrong. A transmission going with only 84,000 miles on it speaks for itself. I feel as if I've been robbed all I could do was cry I can't afford a car with a payment I don't have 2,500 to put into a vehicle right now. I feel honda needs to step up to the plate with this. I am not well off to purchase this vehicle took a lot for me but I went in thinking I wouldn't have to buy another vehicle because of the way I drive as u can tell by the mileage we are talking a vehicle that averaged 7,000 miles a year. I'm getting emotional again.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Sep 142013

Accord EX 4 cyllinder

We have owned seven Hondas over the past 30 years and have religiously had our vehicles serviced at Honda of El Cerrito. We have confidently recommended the Honda brand because of their vehicle's reliability, but no longer is the case.

We currently own a 2000 and 2002 Honda Accord. On 9/21/13 we took our 2002 Accord EX 4 cylinder into the Honda of El Cerrito dealership because we noticed the transmission slipping a week prior. After leaving the car with the dealership, they later called and said, we could not find any problem with the transmission, but recommended a tuneup ($700), which should fix the problem. We trusted the dealerships advice and agreed to the repairs. Unfortunately, the tune-up did nothing but put a hole in our pocket as the transmission continued to slip. And now a check engine light was on.

We returned the car once more to the dealership with the check engine light on. This time they ran a diagnostics test and determined there was a problem with the transmission. No sh*t!!! We asked why they didn't run a diagnostics when we first brought the car in and gave them an accurate description of the problem. The manager replied, we don't run the diagnostics test unless there is an error light showing. He offered no solutions and basically told us we were out of luck.

It's apathetic business practices like this that cause owners to change car manufacturers. Needless to say, we will never... I repeated NEVER purchase another Honda as long as We live. Had Honda taken responsibility for their workmanship... I wouldn't have felt compelled to post this comment.

We have now turned our attention towards Toyota and have steered our family and friends away from any future Honda purchases.

Update from Oct 14, 2013: I called Honda headquarters to see if they could assist in any way. Surprisingly, they didn't care any more than El Cerrito Honda. They said there was nothing they can do. At a minimum, I would have at least expected that they might offer to call El Cerrito Honda on our behalf, but no....they simply didn't care. Loyalty isn't a value to them any longer. They apparently only care about selling a car, and after that you're on your own.

I posted the issue on Yelp and received a response by Larry of El Cerrito Honda saying they cared and someone would call, but apparently that was just words, since it's been over a week and no one has called. It's easy to say you care, but if no action is taken, then you pretty much don't.

For those who plan to buy a new car, consider that loyalty no longer matters and it's just an issue of you getting bad service and no one will apparently care. The manufacturer doesn't care after they get their money. The dealer doesn't care after they get your money.

Honda of El Cerrito used to have good salesman and honest service, but that has obviously changed. Read the postings on Yelp and you'll see. They warrant the drive train for 100,000 miles or so many years, counting that years will pass first. Look at their records for transmissions. It's really bad and you don't find out until several years pass, but by then your car is worth zero dollars, even when the rest of the car should have another 150,000 miles left on it.

El Cerrito Honda wanted another %5,600+ dollars to fix the transmission, with no credit for their poor service guessing of $655.00 . When checking with other Honda dealerships, they only wanted $4,200 for the transmission plus alignment, which couldn't possibly take more that 4 hours of work, so that would be about a $4,600 job. Someone is getting rich and it isn't us.

- , Pinole, CA, USA

Jan 012009

Accord LE V6

jerks every time you go forward after idling

I'll have to get the VIN number when my car gets out of the shop.

Midlands Honda (Killian Road, Columbia SC near Blythewood) caused this problem, I believe. I had mistakenly thought that taking my Honda to a certified Honda Dealer, etc, for certain repairs would be a good thing. Instead they created a whole new issue. I really have to check the dates of the "repair" I don't have the paperwork with me. It's in the car.

Midlands Honda denied it even when I took it back. All they ever did was want to fix something else they "discovered." AND they mixed my auto records completely with someone else's. I don't know if they will even claim they worked on my 20002 Honda Accord now. Poor service, worse management there.

I'll probably try out Honda of Columbia (Columbia, SC) next. Right now, I'm having the brakes and bearings assessed.

They asked me about the transmission jerking and I told them: "compliments of Midlands Honda."

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 092013

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

I bought this Honda because it is very clean and well maintained. My Nissan Sentra has 190,000 trouble free miles with just normal maintenance. Honda is supposed to be a superior vehicle. What a shame to be having such a serious and expensive issue and to find out that Honda is aware of it and is not recalling these. I have spoken to others who own the same vehicle and they have had the same issue. This is too common. Come on Honda! Honda should at the very least offer the parts at cost. At the very least. I was hoping to put high miles on this car but now I fear that the new transmission will fail prematurely.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

Jan 012006

Accord VP 2.4L 4 cyl

This is the second one replaced. I have close to 200,000 miles on the car now. Fixing to give to my youngest son when he turns 16 in August. Other than the transmission this has been a great car. A/C still works, engine uses a little oil, but it gets you from A to B now with problems.

- , Chelsea, AL, USA

Sep 012009

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

I told honda that my transmission was bad within the factory warranty! It always shifted bad. Check engine light came on around 90k miles. I knew it would happen which is why I got an extended warranty. Cost me $2000!

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 192010

Accord DX SE 4 cyl

When taking off from a stop, shifting from 1st to 2nd the transmission slips then jerks. when attempting to accelerate to pass or change lanes the trans does not down shift smoothly at all. slips and jerks. I have spoken with 2 Honda dealerships' service depts in the Austin, Tx area, they acknowledge that the problem exists and still have refused to replace the trans at Honda's expense. My car has over 189K miles, I know the engine is good for over 300K but with the transmission having a manufacturer malfunction it won't last that long. I love my Honda. It has taken me over most of this country. It is my rolling sanctuary!

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jun 302007

Accord EX V4

the car transmission sucks!!! thats all i can says very desapointed wiht honda. this is my first and last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Feb 022013

Accord EX 2.3L L4

Transmission Problem. need to help for Recall i can't spend 2500$ for this problem. As i know from Honda service center its common problem for 2002 Honda accord cars. Please help me.

Thanks

Narendra

- , Middletown, NJ, USA

Jun 302013

Accord V6

first noticed issues at least a year ago, but keep checking the transmission fluid levels. Hesitated going into gear OR would just not engage into 1st or 2nd while engine revved. I drive only a few miles a day in my small town, so I only have 73K on my 2002 Accord. I didn't worry too much about it other than having it checked by my dealer repair a couple times (they gave me the P0780 code but could never duplicate the error in their shop); I specifically asked if it was roadworthy b/c I was taking a long trip to Odessa, and they said it was safe. I drove it 9 hrs into west texas (middle of nowhere) and we limped into town that evening, jerking & wondering if we were going to make it to my destination. We were VERY frightened. I took it to the Honda dealer in Odessa and paid for a complete diagnostic of the transmission the very next morning.. however, all that dealer told me was "yes, you need a new transmission" and "no, this is NOT typical for a vehicle with only 73K miles". 2 days later was so afraid to drive home, but hit the road, with the same problem after a few hours on the road (transmission had difficultly shifting into 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear). Most of the trip went alright because we could cruise over long stretches at 75 mph, but after so long on the road without being able to stop, by the time we returned to Houston the car could only shift into 2nd gear for the final mile or two of the trip, so we barely made it to my house.. went back to the Kingwood dealer I purchased this BRAND NEW car from (they also did 99% of the maint) and was told my VIN doesn't warrant any help whatsoever, they gave me a referral to a transmission repair shop. I'm just floored that my car is obviously defective, but I don't get any help with the repairs. I owned a Civic for 10 years that was a great car at 115K miles, but I could tell Honda cars are not what they used to be.. I'm not sure what to do, it drives ok for the moment in town, but I'm afraid not to repair since I don't want to end up dead.. can't drive out of town, won't drive it into the city of Houston; meanwhile, $3-$4 thousand dollars is a lot of money for a repair that I don't think I should be making on a car with relatively low mileage of now 74K. I bought this car because I'd known Honda to be quality and the dealer convinced me and my husband that these are the most reliable vehicles, but what a joke that is now! I probably will not ever buy Honda again after this!

- , Kingwood, TX, USA