CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

8.0

$2,499.00

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 2 of 18)

Jan 012009

Accord LE V6

jerks every time you go forward after idling

I'll have to get the VIN number when my car gets out of the shop.

Midlands Honda (Killian Road, Columbia SC near Blythewood) caused this problem, I believe. I had mistakenly thought that taking my Honda to a certified Honda Dealer, etc, for certain repairs would be a good thing. Instead they created a whole new issue. I really have to check the dates of the "repair" I don't have the paperwork with me. It's in the car.

Midlands Honda denied it even when I took it back. All they ever did was want to fix something else they "discovered." AND they mixed my auto records completely with someone else's. I don't know if they will even claim they worked on my 20002 Honda Accord now. Poor service, worse management there.

I'll probably try out Honda of Columbia (Columbia, SC) next. Right now, I'm having the brakes and bearings assessed.

They asked me about the transmission jerking and I told them: "compliments of Midlands Honda."

- , Columbia, SC, USA

Sep 092013

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

I bought this Honda because it is very clean and well maintained. My Nissan Sentra has 190,000 trouble free miles with just normal maintenance. Honda is supposed to be a superior vehicle. What a shame to be having such a serious and expensive issue and to find out that Honda is aware of it and is not recalling these. I have spoken to others who own the same vehicle and they have had the same issue. This is too common. Come on Honda! Honda should at the very least offer the parts at cost. At the very least. I was hoping to put high miles on this car but now I fear that the new transmission will fail prematurely.

- , Yuma, AZ, USA

Jan 012006

Accord VP 2.4L 4 cyl

This is the second one replaced. I have close to 200,000 miles on the car now. Fixing to give to my youngest son when he turns 16 in August. Other than the transmission this has been a great car. A/C still works, engine uses a little oil, but it gets you from A to B now with problems.

- , Chelsea, AL, USA

Sep 012009

Accord SE 2.3L 4 cyl

I told honda that my transmission was bad within the factory warranty! It always shifted bad. Check engine light came on around 90k miles. I knew it would happen which is why I got an extended warranty. Cost me $2000!

- , Cypress, TX, USA

Mar 192010

Accord DX SE 4 cyl

When taking off from a stop, shifting from 1st to 2nd the transmission slips then jerks. when attempting to accelerate to pass or change lanes the trans does not down shift smoothly at all. slips and jerks. I have spoken with 2 Honda dealerships' service depts in the Austin, Tx area, they acknowledge that the problem exists and still have refused to replace the trans at Honda's expense. My car has over 189K miles, I know the engine is good for over 300K but with the transmission having a manufacturer malfunction it won't last that long. I love my Honda. It has taken me over most of this country. It is my rolling sanctuary!

- , Austin, TX, USA

Jun 302007

Accord EX V4

the car transmission sucks!!! thats all i can says very desapointed wiht honda. this is my first and last!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Rancho Cucamonga, CA, USA

Feb 022013

Accord EX 2.3L L4

Transmission Problem. need to help for Recall i can't spend 2500$ for this problem. As i know from Honda service center its common problem for 2002 Honda accord cars. Please help me.

Thanks

Narendra

- , Middletown, NJ, USA

Jun 302013

Accord V6

first noticed issues at least a year ago, but keep checking the transmission fluid levels. Hesitated going into gear OR would just not engage into 1st or 2nd while engine revved. I drive only a few miles a day in my small town, so I only have 73K on my 2002 Accord. I didn't worry too much about it other than having it checked by my dealer repair a couple times (they gave me the P0780 code but could never duplicate the error in their shop); I specifically asked if it was roadworthy b/c I was taking a long trip to Odessa, and they said it was safe. I drove it 9 hrs into west texas (middle of nowhere) and we limped into town that evening, jerking & wondering if we were going to make it to my destination. We were VERY frightened. I took it to the Honda dealer in Odessa and paid for a complete diagnostic of the transmission the very next morning.. however, all that dealer told me was "yes, you need a new transmission" and "no, this is NOT typical for a vehicle with only 73K miles". 2 days later was so afraid to drive home, but hit the road, with the same problem after a few hours on the road (transmission had difficultly shifting into 1st, 2nd, & 3rd gear). Most of the trip went alright because we could cruise over long stretches at 75 mph, but after so long on the road without being able to stop, by the time we returned to Houston the car could only shift into 2nd gear for the final mile or two of the trip, so we barely made it to my house.. went back to the Kingwood dealer I purchased this BRAND NEW car from (they also did 99% of the maint) and was told my VIN doesn't warrant any help whatsoever, they gave me a referral to a transmission repair shop. I'm just floored that my car is obviously defective, but I don't get any help with the repairs. I owned a Civic for 10 years that was a great car at 115K miles, but I could tell Honda cars are not what they used to be.. I'm not sure what to do, it drives ok for the moment in town, but I'm afraid not to repair since I don't want to end up dead.. can't drive out of town, won't drive it into the city of Houston; meanwhile, $3-$4 thousand dollars is a lot of money for a repair that I don't think I should be making on a car with relatively low mileage of now 74K. I bought this car because I'd known Honda to be quality and the dealer convinced me and my husband that these are the most reliable vehicles, but what a joke that is now! I probably will not ever buy Honda again after this!

- , Kingwood, TX, USA

Sep 172011

Accord 3.0L V6

I heard this problem with the Accord transmission, was never fix and Honda knows about this common problem. Also a mechanic on youtube worked on these cars, said, " Honda spent the money on the robot and not on R&D". Which I totally agreed. WHY not fix the crap and make the customer happen. The new Honda are crap in my opinion comparing to the 80's. Say what you want about HONDA, its crap..even a HYUNDIA and Kia are getting better and better for the $$$, which I think are better vehicle, as where I work, I drive and do maintanence on a daily basis.

I am looking into a VW also had driven a few at work.. lol

Update from Aug 17, 2014: Engine light came on, would not upshift to 4th gear, running high rpm in 3rd gear. Checked all the solenoid and found Linear A was not clicking and lock up / shift solenoid with weak click. Cleared engine code and checked fluid. Drove over 1000 kms was ok with slow acceration / try to still under 3000rpm therefore vtec would not engage and no slip and jerk. If try accerate with fast rising rmp, would slip 2500 to 3000 rpm in a heart beat with a jerk. After changing the Linear A/B solenoid no slip or jerk with fast rising rpm to 3000/4000 rpm then gear upshift smoothly for now. But however when downshift from 3rd to 2nd gear there is a lag and a slight jerk and also from 2nd to 1st gear too. Not sure what is it, a downshift solenoid or worn out clutch plates ???

Update from Aug 19, 2014: Driving with engine light on for about week, the transmission is slipping from 3rd to 4th and its stuck in 3rd, would not shift to 4th. So running about 3000 - 4000 rpm on highways. After a few kms, parked vehicle for over an hour, restart vehicle- shifting from 3rd to 4th is back to normal. I have put in alot of work to maintenance the vehicle- timing belt and water pump, adjusted camshaft valves, new valve cover gaskets, upper control suspension components w/polyurethane bushings, lower ball joints, sway bar links and wheel bearings etc. Just 1 thing I don't want to touch is the damn piece of sh*t TRANSMISSION which can't live up to the honda reputation! NO buying HONDA or ACura for me period! EXtremely disappointed.

- , Calgary, Alberta, canada

Jan 012007

Accord Limited 4 cyl

I think honda needs to recall 2002 accord transmission,I've been having trouble since i had the

car.

I'll never buy any kind of honda again......

- , Bayou Vista, LA, USA

Aug 242012

Accord 2.4L

I am fan of Honda Accord. My first car in Canada was Honda Accord 1993. I was very happy. I upgraded the model and now I am feeling cheated. I always refer Honda Accord to my known. Now I have to think before referring. I think there should be recall according the reputation of Honda in the market. Nothing more to say.

Just frustrated with Accord 2002.

- , Windsor, Ontario, canada

Jan 012013

Accord EX V6

I am the original owner of this car. Though the mileage is high at 180K miles, I am a sales rep and have many road miles on the car. As the original owner, I have every service record and have always maintained the vehicle, changed the oil, etc as recommended. The transmission fluid has been flushed twice. My college age daughter drives the car now, and it started hesitating shifting from 1st to 2nd, then slipped into neutral (very dangerous) while she was driving the car. It is out obviously out of warranty. Looking at a $4,000 repair, which is the value of the car. As I have been a loyal honda owner for many years, I am now questioning my logic. I also owned a 98 Accord several years ago, and the transmission failed in that car at 40K miles. Honda did replace it at no charge to me. In addition to the 2002 Accord, I now drive a 2007 Accord, which is causing me to second guess whether or not I should keep it. I am very disheartened to read all these posts from so many people with the exact same problem. Since this is now my 2nd Accord to experience Transmission problems, I find it impossible to believe that Honda does not step up and do the right thing on this very obvious flaw in their transmissions. Never thought I'd say the words, but my next car won't be a Honda. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, I gotta figure I'm the fool and move on.

- , Madison, WI, USA

Feb 012012

Accord SE 2.3L

I've owned Honda(s) in the past and never had any issues.

However, my 2002 Honda SE 4-dr sedan which I bought brand new from the Honda dealership is now turning into an expensive proposition.

I never had any problems with this car. It all started when my car went over 100K. Transmission started jerking and slipping. Within a month or two I was having hard time driving it. Took it to the Honda Dealership to which they told me that I don't have any warranty and It will cost me around 4K to fix it.

I didn't want to invest that kind of money and took it to Aamco shop. They were able to fix it around $2100. This was back in early Feb-March of this year. Now it is happening again. I'll take it back to Aamco. Aamco do have a warranty on their repairs for a year. Hope fully I can get it fix. I will keep you all posted.

As for Honda dealership, I'm really disappointed with them. I hope and wish they can get this issue on their recall list. If not, I'm never buying a Honda again. This is highly unprofessional to own up your product and services.

- , Fullerton, CA, USA

Sep 152012

Accord EX 2.3L

Yet another story of a 2002 Accord having transmission problems. Its a 2002 with 104K miles. Took it to the dealer. Total estimate ~$4600. Honda is willing to pay ~$1500.00 and rest on me.

Transmission jerks when going from 1st to 2nd gear.

I've been the lone owner since Dec 2001.

Asking the same question almost everyone is. "Whys isn't there a recall for this generation of Accords"?

- , Austin, TX, USA

Aug 012012

Accord

Same problem! If not deep gas pedal the jerking will be not so strong

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Sep 132012

Accord EX 2.3L 4cy

IS MY LOCAL HONDA DEALER IS GOING TO SELL ME A HONDA I EXPECT IT TO INSPECT IT WELL SO ISSUES LIKE THIS WONT HAPPEN...COLLEGE STUDENT WITH PART TIME JOB HOW DO U EXPECT ME TO PAY $1,900.. JUST HOW??

Update from Feb 11, 2014: So I Got my Transmission Rebuild For $800 at 127,000 but I also found out that my uncle (previous car owner) swap The Original Honda Transmission for another honda transmission Because the original transmission Fail aT 68,000 Miles he Paid $2500.. And My current transmission After 1 Year Of Rebuilding it I recently Got another code P0700.. But no problems as of right now.. 141,000 I have to wait and see.. Just thinking of selling this one and buying a Chrysler 300.. Because I will not buy HONDA NEW OR USED..

- , Tustin, CA, USA

Jan 012012

Accord EX 4 cyl

My tranny started slipping right after I bought the car with 130K on it. the shop says "run it till it stops" then they will replace it. ...really expensive trans in these! $2800 for a rebuilt one and much more for a new one... not cool :( So I sold it as is, cut my losses and bought a 2003 Toyota Camry. So far so good.

- , Goshen, IN, USA

Jan 012012

Accord LX

Called Honda corporate was told I should have bought extended warranty. Asked me if they could help with anything else and I asked for the number of a Toyota dealer.

- , Stockbridge, GA, USA

May 072012

Accord SE V4

The same complaint as all the others. I have been a loyal honda driver for over twenty years. but if honda is not willing to own up to their obvious issue and recall or fix this transmission for free this will undoubtedly be my last one. Also, i will be just as enthusiastic in spreading the word about the downfall of a once reliable car company, steering people away from buying hondas, as i was about eschewing the virtues of owning a honda with all my friends and family. honda, "do the right thing!" don't let a little greed stop you from doing what's right and be the downfall of your once proud company. a displeased honda lifer!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Marietta, GA, USA

May 182012

Accord

click to see larger images

transmission slipping and jerking

I have a 2002 Honda Accord Sedan SE. in 2007, I had to have the transmission replaced by Honda Dealer. Indicator that transmission was busted was code PO740 torque converter came up w/ check engine light. I had only 39,000 mi. on the car.

Decent Honda dealer convinced district mgr to pay for part of repair after I showed evidence of the numerous complaints about these transmissions and class action suit. Got 3 yr warranty. Well, its now a bit over 3 1/2 years and transmission just started slipping; check engine light on; D4 flashing. Code PO700 Transmission Control System shows 26-01 third pressure switch malfunction; 45-01 shift malfunction; P1739 controlled transmission malfunction. Looks like the dealer rebuilt transmission now needs to be replaced. I have less than 77,000 miles on the car. I had the transmission fluid flushed & replaced less than 2 years and 20,000 miles ago.

Given all of the Honda transmission failures those years and Honda's ads highlighting their excellence, seems as if the NHTSB should do the right thing and get Honda to replace/fix the transmissions for free. Those of us who bought Honda's based on their advertisements have a good reason to have expected the transmissions to last at least 100,000 miles. Will complain to NHTSB ! Will see what Dealer does on Monday before I decide what kind of car I am buying next!

Update from May 22, 2012: Honda dealership called. They said that Honda said I would have to pay $2000 of the $5000 to replace the transmission (have less than 77,000 miles on the car. To me, sounded like he was saying that Honda thought they were being very helpful since they paid for most of the transmission that had to be replaced less than 4 years ago when I only had 39,000 miles on the car!!!

I reminded him that me and the hundreds of other who have had to replace the transmissions on low mileage well-maintained Honda Accords should never have had to pay anything in the first place - there should be a recall.

Looks like I will be spending lots of my time fighting this - for the second time. Will send in an official complaint to the NHTSA of course. And looks like Honda will be losing me as a customer forever. If my car is going to be a total loss, might be worth it to ride around with a sign on it that says: NO MORE HONDAs - Only 77,000 miles Yet Had to Replace Transmission 2x. Really sad - thought Honda had more integrity and better cars.

Update from Jun 1, 2012: Original Transmission failed at abt 37,200 miles. Honda Dealer installed remanufactured transmission failed at less than 40,000 miles later, at 77,000 miles.

Despite hundreds of complaints and dealers & repairmen acknowledging the problem with 2002 Honda transmissions, the NHSTA has apparently done nothing to help us consumers. Where are they?

Despite Rosenthal Landmark Honda's statement on the receipt for the remanufactured transmission that "Honda has very high goals and expectations for its products and services. Here at Landmark Honda we echo that sentiment of consumer satisfaction", I do not believe they did enough to provide an appropriate remedy. In the end, I did not feel well-treated and do not plan on recommending Landmark Honda.

In my opinion, American Honda's response was lacking too. The representative kept stating that Honda's "final outcome" was that I must pay $1500 to get Honda to replace the replaced transmission. When I inquired about applicability, neither the Landmark Honda Service Manager, located in Alexandria, VA or the American Honda rep who handles Virginia knew about Virginia's "Secret Warranties Law" VA code subsection 59.1-207.34 to .39. The Honda rep basically stated that it was not her job to know Virginia laws.

I still believe that American Honda and the dealership should have replaced the replacement transmission for free, and certainly for much less than $1500. Two transmissions should not have failed at less than 40,000 miles each. To me, and many others, that indicates a defective transmission. And the process was emotionally frustrating and time consuming.

But I needed my car, so I paid the $1500 + that Honda wouldn't budge from. Here are the charges: Total Labor = $580 ($116/hr for 5 hours I believe) Total Parts = $920 Regulatory compliance fee = $2; Diagnostic Equipment fee = $4.35; Shop Supplies = $30; Hazardous waste disposal = $5; tax extra for a total of $1589

Time to buy a new car - anything but a Honda or Acura. Too bad as I was leaning towards buying a new CRV...

- , Washington, DC, USA