Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. replaced transmission (95 reports)
  2. replace transmission (23 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 4 of 8)

Oct 202010

Accord EX

I purchased my Honda Accord believing that Honda produced a quality vehicle and based on the reputation that I could expect a good 200,000 or 300,000 miles out of it. In fact, when the car turned 100,000 miles I jokingly posted a picture of the odometer on my Facebook account with the note "My Accord just turned 100,000 miles. Time for a new car or just breaking it in?" The comments I received from friends, and fellow Honda owners, unanimously said "Just breaking it in", which is what I believed.

Given my research of the internet and the apparent ongoing problems with 2002 Honda Accord transmissions, and the fact that I have maintained this automobile in accordance with all of the manufacturer's guidelines and specifications, my transmission should not have failed at 102,000 miles. Consequently, I feel that I should incur no cost in correcting what appears to be a manufacturing problem.

- , Reynoldsburg, OH, USA

Aug 092010

2002 Honda Accord at 143,000 miles failed. Happened before my very last car payment after 5 years of paying. Thanks Honda, I now own a worthless pile of metal.

- , Greenville, SC, USA

Feb 022010

Accord EX 6 cyl

Called Honda, I Bought certifide from a dealer in 2004.they said they dont have service records and i am not orignal 100,000 5 YEARS WARRENTY EXPIRED IN 12/2009. I ALLWAYS BUY THE CERTIFIED ACCORDS .MY DAUGHTER DRIVES MY OLDER 1998 ONE . THE TRANSMISSION IS FINE .. this should be a recall/ i am 60 years old and handicapped ( CANT WALK MUCH) and getting stuck some place or nor being able to get on the freeway fast is a big danger. HONDA RECALL ....THIS .IS A DANGER...................

- , Olney, MD, USA

Dec 232008

Accord V6

This transmission was replaced approx Dec08. Recently the car started jolting and locking up. Would not move. Distinct burning smell coming from car. Have added a transmission cooler and changed out transmission fluid. Local mechanic suspects possible torque converter problem. Continual problems with this car with zero help from Honda.

- , Sarasota, FL, USA

Oct 012009

Accord LX V6

Ive purchased both of my honda's because their reputation used to mean something. However, after all the problems and defects that I've had with me 2002 accord I can honestly say I will NEVER in my life buy another Honda, or recommend Honda to my friends and family.

My car currently only has 79,000 miles on it. Not bad for being 8 years old. Last year, I had to replace the entire transmission $3000. I've need 4 alignments done in the last 2 years. my seat belts had to be replaced. my motor mounts were replaced. break disks replaced. air conditioning system had to be fixed. pollen filters replaced. entire front axle is broken and needs to be replaced ($2000), ball joints need to be replaced. wheel baring hub needs to be replaced.

This car is been the worse car I've ever owned in my entire life. I contacted Honda Customer service but was told there was nothing they can do. My Chevy truck from the same year has never had a problem... now i know..I'm buying American.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Feb 052009

Accord SE 3.2L

Just adding to the list of complaints - Bought from CarMax, as my transmission on another car had died, I chose Honda as I've had 2 in the past that were great. 2 months into owning it, the transmission died as well. Didn't buy their extended warranty - Had it replaced for $3900. Sigh.

- , Sacramento, CA, USA

Aug 072010

Accord EX V6

Transmission failed at 100k. I'm calling Honda USA to see if they will offer a good will repair. I'm not optimistic. I can't believe there hasn't been a recall.

- , Durham, NC, USA

Jul 132010

Accord EX

500 miles after my extended warranty I purchased along with the car ran out, I started having transmission problems. I have returned to the dealer on 3 occasions trying to get a good faith repair and all 3 times they told me that my vin number did not qualify for the repair. My neighbor has the same exact car I do and the dealer did a good faith repair for her. All I want is my car fixed by the dealer at their expense. I am a single mother of 3 who broke my back, had 8 surgeries, and still do not have a vehicle that I can drive. I have to depend on others and I live out in the country so it is inconvenient for others to help me.

Please help me get my car fixed, if I pay for it it will cost $3,500.00.

- , Redwood Valley, CA, USA

May 152010

Accord EX 3.2L V6

I have taken a used 2002 Honda accord Ex car from a private party and later on absorbed in few months that car had transmission issues and I don't know how much awful was that to buy a high priced car and later on within a month realizing that it has got some transmission issues.

- , Dublin, OH, USA

Jul 082010

Accord LX V6

The car overall is great. It has everything that you want if you like coupe style. The only thing is that the transmissions problems that occur are costly. I personally kept my car matienced on regular schdule and have receipts for proof, it dont matter. This car is prone for this. Bad Thing!!!!!! Plus when you are driving on the road and all the sudden the engine light comes on and you see the little green light that represents what gear your car is in that is next to your spedometer blinking ongoing( Park, Reverse, Drive, D3, etc.) it's like OMG what the hell am I gonna do? It's not a good feeling.

- , Bellevue, WA, USA

Jun 072010

Accord 2.3L

I took the vehicle to Honda to adjust the brakes they called me back, saying you have a transmission problem. They stated it was minor,upon picking up the vehicle. I drove150 feet it stalled, I nursed it back to the dealership service entrance. They checked the vehicle and stated the computer had failed and after replacing it, they also informed me the transmission also had failed they believe the transmission electronics damaged the cars computer. Honda of North America was contacted and they paid for part of the repairs.

- , Crown Point, IN, USA

Jun 132010

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

ive had my honda for almost 5 years now and just now when i go 2 get it inspected i have this problem. transmission is gone been flushed 3 times only 135k on it now and had only 50k when i bought it i feel like since there is so many complaints from people with a honda that honda dealership should fix the problem especially when they kept makin these models knowing there was a big tranny problem. I feel its very f*cked up u put so much money into a good car thats supposed to last atleast 200k and tranny gone at 135k dont make any since and honda should be responsible for it not the owner. Now that its paid for i have to go through this sh*t i should be saving 300$a month now tranny gone cant save any kind of money there for honda should and will fix the problem abd i will defnately be letting everyone that i know with a honda or plans on getting one not to get it its a waste of money. i spent about 18,000 on mine afetr interest now its like it all went down the drain now i have to deal with this problem. honda shouldnt brag on there vehicles if they have so many mechanical problems hell they mine as well stop making them. also vehicle inspection due cant take care of that casue of engine light and it will not go off until tranny is fixed.

- , Zebulon, NC, USA

Jun 152008

Accord EX 2.3L 4 cyl

I have bought Honda's for years. My transmission failed at 116,000. This may be acceptable for a Chrysler but I would never expect this from Honda. Of course it was out of warranty and I had to pay the full $2500.00. The replacement was a Honda factory reconditioned transmission with a 3yr/36000 mile warranty. Guess what, it completely failed 50,000 miles later. Typical Honda response was sorry it's out of warranty. The dealer, Victory Honda of Monroe, MI had the nerve to tell me I should have changed the oil at 30,000 miles (manual says 90,000). My families combined purchased Honda vehicles was 9. Our future Honda buys will be ZERO!!!.

- , Monroe, MI, USA

May 152010

Accord LX 4 cyl

Wow, purchase a Honda for reliability....what a joke. Transmission failed on a 2002 Accord with 92,000 miles. I expected much more from Honda. I will call to see if they will consider any compensation, but from reading the other coments I am not sure I will have much luck. My husband and I have been loyal Honda customers and Honda is the only make car we have driven. We have had a total of 5 Hondas. It looks like we will have to scrap this car. I WILL NOT EVER BUY ANOTHER HONDA.

- , Helena, AL, USA

May 102006

Accord SE 4

I estimated the date and mileage of our first transmission failure. Husband was out of town so the repairs were not done locally. We were greatly inconvienced. It was also a hassle ( with that dealership) to honor our extended warrenty. About a year and a half later the refurbished transmission thankfully under warrenty had to be replaced. I worry that it will eventually happen to our 2001 that we purchased before this happened to our 2002.

If we had known of such existing issues that Honda has had for years we would not have purchased a Honda. Way to go Consumer Reports. I am totally against Honda for any future purchase.

- , Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 012010

Accord LX

my 2002 Honda accord has 106000 miles on it and started shifting very hard and the check engine light came on. the rpm will shoot every time you start and rattle the car. the D4 light was blinking. took it to the Honda dealer and they said i will have to replace the transmission. i called Honda and they said they will try to help if i take to the dealer in 5 days and a case number was given. i took it to the dealer and the dealer said Honda is not ready to do any help.

it will take 2700+tax to fix it. will never buy an Honda again...........will sell this junk to some other dealer and buy another brand bit not a Honda....

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 122010

Accord EX V6

This car was serviced at each book interval at the dealer where the car was purchased. For about 3 days while driving there was a slight hesitation, racing of the engine and then the transmission would engage. I checked the fluids and all checked out in okay levels. I took the car in to have it checked out and got a call the same day saying a whole new [rebuilt] transmission was necessary. No service plan help would help cover the loss. I do not understand how at less than 70K miles you total a transmission.

Update from May 16, 2010: The date of the Honda Accord V6 is model year 2002 NOT 2005. Year mistake was mine.

- , Pittsfield, MA, USA

Mar 182010

Accord 4 cyl

So I hear Honda is a great vehicle! Maybe, but not the 2002 Honda Accord. Check engine lights on, transmission is completely gone. Should not be happening at 147K! I called Honda (nationwide) they said there may have been a recall on the transmission part to not allow it to fall apart but not a recall on the slipping of the transmission! I will never, ever purchase another one! It hydroplanes in the rain, the check engine light does not go off!! What a piece of crap! Save yourself some dough! Do not go Honda!

- , Mckinney, TX, USA

Mar 292010

Accord SE V4

I was given this 2002 Honda Accord as a gift in 2006. It had 28,000 miles on. Upon delivery of the car I took it to my mechanic to check it out and he gave it a clean bill of health. Said the car had been well maintained, Normally a car is just a mode of transportation for me. I want something reliable, safe and economical. But this car has very special meaning to me. Back in July of 06, my older brother, Pat, who was my guardian angel and best buddy, died of pancreatic cancer. The week before he died after a nice visit w/ him he walked me out to my car & made the comment that he wanted to help me get a new car. Something newer & more reliable than my 1992 Corolla, which had 180,000 miles & was a great car. He was worried at the high mileage stuff would be falling apart. (in hindsight I should have kept that car!! Person who has it says it is still running). A month later my sister-in-law took me to lunch & told me that Pat had talked w/her about getting me a newer car, one that was reliable. She discussed it with her four kids,they all agreed that they wanted to do this for me. 4 weeks later I got a call from my sister-in-law telling me she had bought me a car. She found a Honda 2002 with low mileage and in great shape & she knew the owners. She was so excited to have found an Accord as she had 3 later model Accords in her family & always believed they were reliable cars. WRONG on the reliable. I need a new transmission @ 68,600 miles! I maintained that car very well. It went in for its regular oil changes, tire rotations, scheduled maintenance. Any little unusual noise/movement & the car was at my mechanic.

I was driving on a windy, hilly road and the transmission went beserk, I was truly scared that I would get stranded out in the middle of nowhere.I did make it home... Took it to my mechanic the next day & he said I needed a new transmission but he suggested I take it to Tipton Honda in El Cajon, CA just to get a second opinion. Which I did and I asked them why was the tranny failing at 68,000 miles. Well cars just do that. I called American Honda Corp in Torrance, CA which began my added frustration with HONDA. Don't know if I can use names but I am going to... Sergio Suarez who took my case was never at his desk when I called and I called 12 times thru today's date. When I did talk to him it would be, I'll call you with our decision on Tues. No call on Tues. so I would call him back & of course he wasn't available and I'd tell the poor receptionist my plight and she would be kind enough to track him down. I asked him to explain to me why my 2002 with 68,000 miles should be needing a new transmission. Aren't Hondas built to last? He told me it was due to the age of the car, not so much the mileage. That the metal gets old and the wear and tear on it. But there isn't much wear and tear on it with 68,000 miles..... He was condescending and treated me like I was just some dumb girl. He finally agreed to give me 25% off a new transmission job. Unfortunately that was only good at a Honda dealership where they charge more than my own mechanic and I DO NOT TRUST DEALERSHIPS. I was at the dentist the afternoon that I dropped my car off at Tipton Honda and in that hour I heard from 2 people that they would never take their cars to Tipton again. My dentist said she had taken her car in to have them check the brakes and look it over as she was taking it on a road trio. They said everything looked fine and she wouldn't be needed brakes for a very long time. She came back from the trip and had the oil changed and lo and behold they told her she was in desperate need of new brakes. Then the receptionist told me her 89 year old mother took her Honda in to Tipton to have the oil changed and they told her she needed new brakes. She said she would have to come back for that as she didn't have time. She took the car home and had her mechanic grandson look at the brakes and they were fine. 2 stories like that in 1 hour about the dealership where my car was..... So I think I have vented enough. My word of advice: DO NOT BUY HONDA AS THEY DO NOT STAND BEHIND THEIR PRODUCT. My next car will be a Toyota. I do get to say that by telling people your story it does effect their purchasing choices! My sister was looking to buy a new SUV and a Honda Pilot was on her list. But after hearing what I have been thru she didn't even bother to go look at the Pilot. YEAH!!! And I will continue to tell my story.

- , La Mesa, CA, USA

Nov 132008

Accord SE 3.2L V4

A Clunk or hesitation occurred when shifting to R or D at 12,000. The deal said it was going and I would need a replacement, end of story. I did ask how long before the car stopped running and they said "Hard to say two months, two years, can't tell". So I drove it like, well sorry for any senior citizens, an old lady. Well on a Thursday evening en route to grocery shopping it felt like I was riding a Brahma Bull. It would buck and then not engage at all. Check engine and transmission light flashed I believe red. Don't remember for sure with everyone yelling and honking at me like I was stopping in the middle of the intersection on purpose. There was no questioning from the dealer it was out of warranty here is the bill.

In looking at other posters here it is obvious Honda has a problem with 02 Accords. I now know of other owners of 02's that haven't posted that have the same problem. Well anyway long story short I got a recond trans 5 days later and 2500.00 less in the wallet. This has halted me buying a new Honda and now with the Toyota problems I'm not buying anything new til I get the Warm and fuzzes again.

- , Fletcher, OK, USA