CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

9.1

$2,546.00

1. replaced transmission (95 reports)
  2. replace transmission (23 reports)
  4. sold the Accord (3 reports)
  5. traded in for new Accord (1 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 7 of 8)

Dec 222008

Accord SE 2.3L

A transmission going out after 70k miles - that's piece of crap. Honda customer service reps are fu* rude. I could have bought a Kia or hyundai and got 10yr/100K warranty.

- , louisville, KY, USA

Jan 022009

Accord EX V6

Will keep this short as possible. 61000 miles, two months after the extended warranty expired. The transmission failed. Waiting to see if the service manager at Carrs Honda in Chicago will be able to get any compensation on my behalf from Honda.

- , Chicago, IL, USA

May 012008

Accord EX 4 cyl

My transmission started to shift hard last May at 75,000 mi;les but has got worse during the last six months. I now have 80,000 miles and Honda will not fix it. My friend has a 2001 Honda Accord and has had three transmissions starting at 37,000 miles replaced by Honda under extended Warranty. The same Transmission is in the 2002. This is my second new Honda but I will not buy another. This is BS on Hondas part. They know they have a problem and are ignoring it. This will cost them a lot more than a recall would. I wonder if all the people having problems as me would be interested in an ad campaign against Honda in the major cities in America showing the public what Honda has done to us. If anybody has any other ideas please email me at

nedgecomb1@yahoo.com

Nick Edgecomb Taft CA 93268

- , Taft, CA, USA

Sep 102008

Accord LX 2.3L

I just bought a 2002 Accord. Before I bought it I checked Carfax. The car was bought and serviced regularly at Autowest Honda in Fremont Ca. Only 71k miles. Good enough for me. I bought it sight unseen. Turns out the transmission is bad. I took it to Autowest Honda. They confirmed it was shot. Would cost $4200 to fix. I couldn't believe it. I asked if there was anything they or Honda of America could do for me. No. Nothing. Sorry about your luck. After researching it, I found out that Honda was sued for faulty transmissions in 97-2001 Accords. They settled out of court. Never did anything to correct the problem. 2002 has the exact same transmission. Whats up with that? Seems like an automatic win for us 2002 owners. Whats happening out there?

- , FREMONT, CA, USA

Sep 112008

Accord EX V6

Man. Never wanna buy Honda cars anymore. I thought Honda was a reliable car makers when I bought my 2002 Honda accord v6 last year. I got it at 79000 and it drove good for a year. Last month, I went to do the maintenance and they told me that I have to change a new transmission for 2800. Eventually, I decided to sell it but not fix it.It is not worth to do that.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Apr 212008

Accord SE Coupe Vtec 4 cyl

I bought my car new, maintained it well...had some problems with it shifting hard and hesitating...was going to take it in shortly when the stupid thing died on me leaving me and my two year old in peril...I missed work without pay since I didn't have a ride and couldn't use emergency pay or anything. I managed to hobble it to the dealer and they quoted me $3300 for a used transmission and were not helpful. I had it repaired for less but was out of a car for over a week and had to spend over $200 on a rental. I got it replaced with a used transmission with 76k on it and it is starting to do the same thing within 6 months. I hate Honda. I paid $22k for a reliable vehicle which I didn't get, it has left me in a very sore spot because I had to charge the repairs....I will never buy another Honda and I let everyone know exactly how horrible they are. My managers sister had the same model and her transmission had to be replaced at 75k miles.

- , Cordova, TN, USA

Aug 122008

Accord EX V6

Ridiculous! This problem seems to be so well documented and yet nothing is being done. How they continue to offer little or no assistance is beyond belief, I have owned several Honda's but this will probably be my last. Beware to buyers, the tranny is a time bomb! I own a 2002 (last year of this model) and they have the same problems they did with the earlier models.

- , Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Jan 112007

Accord EX-L V6

At about 216,000 miles I had to replace my transmission. I had taken it to the dealership 3 months prior with complaint of it slipping. They had told me this was the way it was designed to take more time upshifting to warm up, but really it was the first sign of transmission failure... When it did fail they did replace it with just the cost of labor but even that was about $2700.

- , Goodyear, AZ, USA

Aug 012008

Accord EX V6

Just another V6 Accord automatic failure for the books. This one failed around 85k miles. Called the Honda rep, of course it isn't covered, its an 02, those are GREAT! (siiiiigh) Took it to the local dealer and, to my surprise, they started to work with me on it. Asking for service records to try and plead my case to Honda. Calls me back the next day and said they agreed to pay half, which would come out to be $1200.00 for a rebuilt with a 3 year/36k mile warranty on it.

Do not buy this car (from 98 to around 04) if you don't feel like wasting cash on it. Everything else in it has been great, but this is a costly repair that really nullifies the other reliability factors. Don't take our word for it here, feel free to search for it else where, you will get many hits on "V6 automatic transmission Honda failure"

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 072008

Accord SE V6

My 2002 Honda Accord with $60000 miles had transmission problem, It was slipping ans jerking and oil leaking.We have done all the maintenance properly. We though we did not need to change oil transmission by following instructions under normal weather conditions, but Honda said we have to change it last year under severe weather conditions. I spent CN$4000.00 to replace a rebuilt one, but Canada Honda refused to reimburse any cost.

The failure transmission was sent back to Honda right away when I got the replacement by Honda dealer service center, Honda has so many problems on this typical transmission, they are even short of supply, I have wait for a week to get my replacement , This typical

I requested to check the the reason of failure of the transmission, I was told by Honda customer service I need to pay for the checking and I also have to be responsible for all the cost no matter what reason it is. It was awful! absolutely the worst experience I never had before.

According to repost result, failure of transmission is absolutely the design defect for this typical car. it should be recalled by Honda.

- , Barrie, ON, Canada

May 052008

Accord SE V6

The transmission failure is a design defect.It should be recalled

- , Barrie, ON, Canada

Jun 272008

Accord EX-V6 3.0L V6

Apparently transmission failures are quite common on the 2002 Accord. I have read some reports that warranties were extended on these models due to such high failure rates and I plan to research before having any repairs.

- , Rowlett, TX, USA

Apr 182008

Accord

I bought my used 2002 Honda in 2003 with 15,000 miles because I heard Hondas were great cars. I did not have any major problems with the car other than the engine light coming on and needing a switch replaced. Over the last several months, I noticed the transmission slipping, but I thought this is a Honda with less than 100,000 and that the transmission could not possibly be going out. On April 18, 2008, the transmission began to slip badly and the check engine light came on. I took the car to my mechanic. He check the car and said that I needed a new transmission. Before he started the repair, he mentioned that his daughter also had a 2002 Honda with 66,000 miles and that Honda replaced her transmission at no charge. He also mentioned that many of the Honda manufactured during this period were having transmission failure because only one filter was placed on or in the transmission. This caused dirt to filter back into the transmission, which could lead to the transmission failing. He made a phone call to Honda and was told that they would not replace my transmission because the car had 96,000 miles. I wrote a letter to Honda and a customer service representative called me several days later and said that Honda would review my complaint and let me know if they would stand behind the transmission. A couple of days later, Honda called me back and said that they could not compensate me for my transmission repair. Since my transmission failed, I have talked to two other Honda owners that had to replace their transmissions. I believe that Honda should stand behind their cars and compensate individuals who had to replace their car's transmissions.

- , Katy, TX, USA

May 142008

Accord SE

I have had several Hondas over the years and have purchased them for their apparent reliability. Now, after hard shifting between 1st and 2nd gear, I took my wifes car to the local dealership and the transmission is shot. I have since read all the similar complaints and the issues with the recall of 1999-2001 vs no current recall of the 2002. A transmission failure on a Honda with 88K miles should be a rare occurrence, but it is obviously typical for all Honda vehicles with this transmission. My sister had a 2001 Odyssey and the transmission went out at 80K as well, and I am now sure it is the same transmission as the 2002 Accord. Honda should be an industry leader and cover all costs for the replacement. The dealership was as helpful as I could expect, based on all the other similar complaints and has agreed to split the cost. I will be out of pocket $1400 to receive a rebuilt transmission with a 36K warranty. I have no reason to believe that this will not occur again. I plan on selling the car and buying Toyota's in the future and telling everyone I know that my family's experience with Honda's will lead me to never buy one again.

- , Ringgold, GA, USA

May 072008

Accord 3.2L

First off, I just wanna say that this ordeal that I currently find myself in is the worst pain in the a** I've ever experienced with a vehicle, and to have it a happen to a HONDA of all things is just beyond my comprehension, since Hondas are supposed to "last forever." I was pulling out of a gas station with a used Accord which I purchased from a dealership 4 months ago when all of a sudden, my car refused to shift gears on its automatic transmission. After that, a rancid odor was coming from God knows where and all of a sudden, I find myself struggling to make it to 30 mph. Moreover, the check engine light went on and the "D4" light started blinking repeatedly. All this seemed to be happening for no apparent reason and I found myself in a dark alley calling for AAA.

I brought the car to a Honda dealership in hopes of maybe getting a "goodwill repair" since after all, the vehicle had no history of major repairs and the VIN came up clean when I asked about its history report. Just from reading other people's war stories with this model from the early 2000's, Honda should be held fully accountable for the manufacturing defects with their transmissions for the '02 Accords. The reason I wasn't granted a "goodwill repair" was because my car was an '02 and not an '01 which apparently had more complaints.

I am seriously considering selling or trading in this car since there is no guarantee that even if I receive a new transmission, it will last me a long time. I am EXTREMELY ANGRY and disappointed that Honda can't take responsibility for a manufacturing defect, regardless of what year the car came out.

- , Altadena, CA, USA

Feb 012008

Accord LX 2.3L

Auto transmission shift points off. Slow to shift from 1st to 2nd with a quick shift from 2nd to 3rd. Much worse as temps lower outside. Felt like slipping clutches between 1st and 2nd. Dealer said they could only replace the "whole unit"for just under $3000 but would give us a break and charge $1250.

This is the same thing that happened to my 1999 Honda Accord LX. I was told it was the torque converter on that car and it cost me $850.

Next to the engine, a transmission failure is inexcusable. Both cars received all scheduled maintenance and I even had the transmission fluid changed early on both cars. I like Honda's for many reasons but will start to look elsewhere now.

- , Brown Deer, WI, USA

Mar 102004

Accord LX 2.4L I4

Honda is the worst car company, I mean hell its nice that the small stuff never broke as it did in my 2000 dodge caravan (the brake master cylinder wore out, several window motors/regulators were replaced and the brake rotors warped every year, but hell at least the dodge has 110k miles on it on the original engine and transmission! and it still is running extremely well). I have replaced the transmission on my accord at ~50k miles and at ~80k miles, i traded it in for a Pontiac g6 just to get out of that god damn nightmare of a crap car. Its funny how Honda has one of the best reputations and Dodge has one of the worst, hell I don't mind the minor repairs here and there that the dodge needs, it sure beats the constant major repairs that the accord needed!!!

- , Edison, NJ, USA

Feb 272008

Accord VP

I bought my 2002 Honda Accord NEW because I believed Honda to be a reliable car company. With only 47,000 miles on the odometer the Transmission went .Honda wanted me to see a certified dealer. Too bad I had already had my car towed to a transmission repair shop not affiliated with Honda. So in their words I'd pay to have it towed to a certified Honda dealer so they can run diagnostic testing . And then bend over while the charge me their outlandish prices for their crappy service. So I had the transmission repaired outside of Honda because it was a total hassle to have my p.o.s car towed to their dealers. This company should be ashamed of their products. Please do your research when dealing with these money hungry giants.

- , Haverhill, MA, USA

Mar 032008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I also am having transmission problems with my 2002 Accord LX coupe. It started having trouble shifting gears a few weeks ago and one day last week shifted into neutral instead of into third gear and I was almost rear ended. I only have 71,000 miles on the car and it has been meticulously maintained. Thank God, I kept all my receipts to prove it to Honda. The initial quote to replace my transmission with a refurbished trans was 3800 dollars. Only when I balked and started asking questions as to how this could happen and why the extended warranty didn't cover my model did I get anywhere at the dealership and without the maintenance receipts I don't think anything would have happened. I'm still waiting to hear back from the regional customer service manager about goodwill assistance.

- , Ypsilanti, MI, USA

Feb 282008

Accord EX 3.0L V6

I was just informed by the dealer that my 2002 Honda Accord will need a new transmission and that this will cost around $3,300. WIth only 77K mi on the car this just didn't seem right so I began my web search for information and stumbled across this site - looks like I'm not alone and that is not just a random occurrence. Honda has a serious problem here.

The car is currently at the dealer and I'm trying to figure out what options I have.

- , Eden Prairie, MN, USA