Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2002 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.

The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad.

1. recall should be issued, replaced @ Honda's expense (187 reports)
  2. replace transmission (50 reports)
  4. replaced transmission (32 reports)
  5. replaced transmission, split cost with Honda (14 reports)
  6. Honda refused to repair under warranty, had to pay (9 reports)
2002 Honda Accord transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Honda Accord:

2002 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 16 of 18)

Dec 162007

Accord EX-L 4 cyl

Again, same as everyone else. No Recall from Honda... How do we get a class action lawsuit? My sister has an older Accord and it had the same problem all of our cars have. She went to the VP of North America and finally had the transmission replaced

at Honda's expense. Perhaps a campaign to contact Honda North America until they

fic this problem...

- , Norwalk, CT, USA

Aug 142007

Accord SE 4 cyl

I wished I would have found this site when I bought my 2002 Honda SE back in March of 05. I bought it used (Certified Honda) with about 43,000 miles on it from a Honda dealership in Arlington, Texas. I haven�t had any major problems with it accept my sunroof doesn�t open but just tilts. I have about 122,000 miles on my car now, but anyways about 3-4 months ago I noticed my car seems to hesitate a second or so when I am pulling off from the stop position. It seems that it hesitates going from 1st to 2nd gear. Once it gets to second gear the car runs smooth until I have to stop again. Sometimes it takes off from stop just fine but the problem with the hesitating and moderate jerking sometimes to happen about 90% of the time.

I read most of you all comments and am afraid now that I may have to use my upcoming tax return to get my transmission fix. What�s puzzling is that the car drives fine accept when I talking off from a dead stop and they you get the revving, hesitation, and jerk when taking off from 1st to 2nd gear. I called several dealership and the first two claim they never heard of problems with the 98-2002 Honda Accord models. The 3rd dealership parts department guy told me upfront that it sounds like my transmission is going out. I�m hoping that my car holds up until I can get my tax returns in next 3 weeks, because it�s the only car I have with 3 kids and wife and I don�t have the money in my savings to pay for any repairs without getting help from my tax returns. If it turns out it�s something more then just some part on the transmission needing to be replace, I�m never going to buy a Honda again. I love Honda and brag on their reliability; as a matter of fact my wife is looking into getting a 2008 CRV. If there�s a problem with my 02 Accord transmission mission and Honda doesn�t pay for half the cost because my car is out of warranty, I�m dropping Honda and will by the 2008 Chevy Malibu.

- , Fort Worth, TX, USA

Dec 102007

Accord EX V6

I am seeing a lot of people with the same car have had the same problem. I attempted to call the Dealership I bought it from and ask about a recall, of which of course they said there is none, but I also see some have been able to get theirs fixed at no cost or reduced cost and as I am about to jhave to do that, I was wondering if there was any info or tips on how to get that done?

- , Valley Village, CA, USA

Oct 152007

Accord LX V6

The only reason I haven't repaired my car is because the repair is so expensive. I believe there was a problem with the transmission from the very beginning. My car

has always been slightly slow shifting thru the 1st couple of gears. I have taken my

car in for servicing and the transmission was never mentioned. I do not have that many miles on the car. I do not drive an excess amount of miles every year or on tough terrain. Not alot of stop and go traffic either. My car is only 6 years old. So I believe there is some defect that the makers have not revealed. I see other folks have had the same problem has me. So what will it take to get Honda to do the recall or repair?

- , Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jun 012007

Accord LX 2.3L

A couple of months ago, I noticed that the transmission would occasionally pull and slip after coming to a stop. If I didn't come to a full stop (California Stop), it was worse. Lately, the problem became persistent. I started reading about all the Accord transmission problems online so I decided to take it in to my local dealer. Today I got the call---the transmission had failed. The good news was that Honda would replace it with a rebuilt transmission at no cost to me since the car was less than 7 years old with less than 100k miles on it. The rebuilt will be warranted until the car hits 100k miles. The bad news is that this shouldn't happen to a 5 year old car. I've driven 2 Toyotas for over 150k miles and never had any engine or transmission problems. This is actually the only problem I've had with this car in over 5 years of daily commute driving. I feel fortunate that this won't end up costing anything however I do sympathize with those that weren't so lucky.

- , Folsom, CA, USA

Nov 222007

Accord EXV6 Vtec V6

I am shocked to see how many people are having these problems. I have an 02 exv6 coupe which has run great for since I bought it off of the lot. In fact until last year, I had only changed oil, brakes, and tires, as I am a high mileage - but mostly highway driver. Recently an issue starting lurking more and more. The car as you are driving seems to bog down like there is no gas going to the engine. It really slows you down and there is nothing that you can do to help but just wait. (Usually only a few seconds)

None the less in congested high way driving it is very dangerous. I called my local honda repair center and they were stumped. The only thing they offered was for me to leave it there and see if the problem repeated itself. I chalked up to bad gas even though the shifting is starting to get ruff. Now very ruff, but not all of the time.

I feel as if I am on this trail it seems you all have gone down. Could you help me to explain how your problems began. I am not putting much faith into honda dealers as they are all dirt bags. My gut feeling is to dump this car and move on; but i am sad to have thought I bought a car that was going to get me 200k. If this is true the car gets an F on the long term life but an 8 for the first 118k. PLEASE HELP..........

I can't see paying for a transmission for a car with a low value like mine. I have already spoken with new dealers and they are offering less then 5k and my car has everything on it, the miles are killing me on value. THANK YOU FOR YOUR HELP I APPRECIATE IT.......

- , Pittsburgh, PA, USA

Mar 042006

Accord LX 2.4L

Tranny went and Honda said warranty had expired and that they didn't have a recall on my model...liars!!! Mechanic got a tranny with 60,000 miles and that was even worse than the original one. I went back a week later and he ordered tranny # 3. Tranny 3 turned out to be so bad that he didnt even bother letting me try it out...after he installed it, he realized it was still a bad one. Finally, he got one shipped from WY with 3,000 miles and now the car has 160,000 and is fine so far...I previously had a 1995 Honda Civic DX and sold it at 150,000 miles with original tranny, engine, shocks, etc...

- , Old Bridge, NJ, USA

Mar 292007

Accord SE 2.3L

• CVT transmission

First gear takes longer than normal to go in from park. When it does it goes in with a jerk and thump. When I am slowing down, first gear does not go in until after I stop. If I do not come to a complete stop but start accelerating, first gear goes in with a jerk and spins the front wheels. This is hard on my trans axles and will cause problem later I'm sure. The Honda dealership quoted me $3800 to replace the transmission with a rebuilt one.

This problem showed up three months after the 5 year warranty expired and at 85,000 km. My new car warranty when I purchased in December 2001 was 5 years and 100,000 km whichever comes first. Keep in mind that this car is driven by only my wife and myself on mostly long trips. We have been both driving for over 40 years and we are very gentle on our vehicle. This vehicle has always been garaged.

This situation is particularly hurtful. I am also quite disappointed and annoyed. I may never buy a Japanese vehicle ever again.

- , Edmonton, Alberta, Canada

Nov 242007

Well I am now on transmission number three. The original died when the car had 95,000 on it. I had a rebuilt one installed by the dealer at no cost to me. And the thing lasted 3 months!!!!!!! Now getting the infamous flashing D and engine light. Honda needs to own up and place a recall and fix the issue. I've owned American cars all my life before buying this POS. I will NEVER buy Honda again!!!!!!!

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Nov 152007

Accord EX

Today I found that I need a new transmission in my 2002 Accord, with only 35,000 thousand miles on it. The exorbitant price the Honda dealer gave me is $3,740. The 5-year warranty period is over, and all they could say was that they were sorry this was happening. Starting at about a week after I got the car, I complained about it feeling as if it were pulling forward slightly upon braking; the assistant service manager I spoke to said there was nothing wrong. This continued each time I took it in for the regular maintenance. Starting a few days ago, the pulling forward upon braking has turned into lurching forward. Add to that, the engine sometimes revs without getting into gear, especially going uphill, and doesn't shift gears smoothly. Apparently there really was something wrong years ago. I am hoping that when I complain to the manager of the dealership tomorrow, they at least do something to lower the cost, but I have my doubts. But a new transmission on a car with only 35,oo miles?!!! Honda's aren't supposed to do this.

- , Washington, DC, USA

Nov 142007

Accord EX V6

2002 Honda Accord EX V6 75000 miles on it and have never had to have any repairs!!!! My D4 light started flashing and the check engine light came on so I took it in and they told me I need a whole new transmission!!!! I COULDNT BELIEVE MY EARS!!Honda will pay for the new transmission and a rental car BUT I HAVE TO PAY OVER 1000.00 FOR LABOR CHARGES TO PUT IT IN!!!!! WTF is THAT all about!!? There is NOOOOO REASON I should have to have a new transmission on this car unless it was a defect!!!! ANd Why will they pay for everything except the labor?? WE ARE BEING SCREWED!!!!! And I am not giving up till I get my money back for the labor charges!!

- , Alexander, AR, USA

Oct 292007

Accord EX 2.3L I4

I've touted Honda reliability as I was as mechanic for many years and they were exceptional cars. I bought a 2000 Odyssey, which the transmission failed, then my father in laws 2003 Odyssey transmission failed, now my 2002 Accord transmission failed. It slipped, jerked, clunked over bumps, and grumbled and growled on the highway. I called the dealer, who told me to call Honda, who told me that they couldn't help me, and to try the dealer. I'm done with Honda. I've owned many cars, old and new, and of different makes. I have not been more disappointed than I am with this Accord. My advice, stay away from Honda if you aren't doing a short term lease.

- , 20 Wagner, IL, USA

Oct 232007

Accord EX Coupe 3.0L V6

My 2002 EX-V6 coupe has the same issue as the 1999-2001 models with total failure that started out as a minor annoying shift problem. I had 105,000 miles when I got it to the dealer with the car stuck in second gear. The TCS, Check Engine and D4 light was blinking. The Service Manager called his Honda rep and described the problem as the same issue they are seeing with the early years. Honda offered 100% replacement free of charge as a goodwill repair. These transmission's cannot be repaired or rebuilt by the dealer. My advice, be firm with the dealer, don't take the car anywhere else as your best shot of getting assistance is with the dealer. Don't be belegerant! It doesn't get you much, besides the 2002 really isn't covered under any recall or warranty. The service Manager already had approval to fix it free as I was wasting time complaining to Honda on the toll free number..

- , Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 232007

Accord EX 4 cyl

I bought this car new and took great care of it. Around 75K the transmission started shifting poorly but it still worked. Then it got more annoying as I slowed down to a stop or started from a stop. Transmission would shift abruptly, slip, downshift poorly, etc. I new it was going so I called Honda 1-800-999-1009. They told me to take it to a local dealership and get a diagnosis. They said the transmission needed replacing. The diaganosis cost me $100 but they are going to replace the transmission for free. This is good but still costs me $100 and I should not be dealing with this at this stage in the car's life. Oh well, at least Honda stepped up and is going to fix the problem. I will keep everyone posted as to what happens.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 172007

Accord LX 3.2L

The car was 2 years old when I purchased it. I have had it for 3 years and a half. As you can tell by the mileage, I have driven the vehicle quite often; however, I always thought to myself, "this is a HONDA! . . . it can within stand a little extra mileage." I have kept it maintenanced regularly. I am disappointed in the fact that this issue has occurred at all. Now to find out several others have had the same complaint concerns me. I think Honda should own up to the fact that this is a defect on their end. As a single mom, I was really opting for a long lasting reliable car . . . now look!

- , Conway, AR, USA

Sep 162007

Accord V6

When car is accelerated, the transmission jerks.

- , Yauco, PR, Puerto Rico

Sep 292007

Accord EX V6

I just found out that our 2002 Honda Accord EX V6 needs a new transmission with only 75k miles. The dealership was pretty nice and offered to call Honda on Monday to try and get parts ($1800) covered and maybe I would only have to pay labor ($800). However, they didn't tell me what a widespread problem it is so I feel somewhat misled(search the internet and this is pretty frequent, plus Honda recalled 1998 - 2001 cars).

After seeing everyone else's problems and learning about the recall on earlier models I feel like I shouldn't even have to pay for labor. Does anyone have any other experiences getting this completely paid for? I want to make sure I have lots of leverage when I talk to them again. If you have any info please let me know by sending me a message, thanks.

- , Corona, CA, USA

Sep 212007

Dealership replaced transmissions for free. Even though it was out of warranty. Though I was buying a good reputable car.. guess not.

- , Cleveland, OH, USA

Sep 262007

Accord LX V6

My 2001 Accord LX V6 w/almost 84,000 miles started making knocking sounds from the interior of the car. Brought in to my mechanic and found out it was a transmission problem. Luckily, he had a buddy that worked in the service dept of a local Honda dealership & found out that transmission was under extended warranty. Brought car in and got a free rental car. Transmission replaced w/a Honda refurbished transmission.

Also Honda technician said transmission was jerking pretty badly when shifting from Park to Drive, but didn't notice since my 1991 Accord was worst than that.

- , San Francisco, CA, USA

Sep 212007

Accord LX 2.2L 4 cyl

2002 Honda accord LX 4 cyl. auto with transmission jerking problems. Problem is when starting from a complete stop transmission jerks hard out of 1st going into 2nd. Aamco diagnosed transmission and mentioned problem was unfortunately widely known and systematic with these transmissions. Aamco Service Manager warned about dangers of driving vehicle as it would just stop without warning anywhere and any time. Without opening, transmission specialist told me that, at least, torque converter was about to fail and differential will need to be replaced. Estimated cost of repair $2,500 to $3,000. Contacted Honda America - Car is only guaranteed for 36,000 miles - We have no legal responsibility and you are a dirt cheap customer for trying to get Honda to help with a repair on a car with 129,000 miles was their answer.

I filed a complaint with the National Highway Traffic Administration and found out that they were already 52 complaints logged in for transmission problems on the 2002 Honda Accord with Automatic transmissions. Yet Honda keeps denying that there is any design, workmanship, or material defects with this transmission model. I have owned nothing but Honda cars since 1985: 2 Civics and 3 Accord, all bought brand new except for one Civic and one Accord. I still have the 3 Accord. I am disgusted with Honda's handling of this case, especially their denial of a problem well known to them. Their quality is going down the drain and so are their corporate ethics. Customer satisfaction is just a word, no longer a way of life for Honda. The Honda Corporation, has made the decision to lie to and let down many loyal customers in an attempt to cover up their mistakes. This is their choice. Mine is to never again buy a Honda vehicle as well as publicly but also privately share this negative experience whenever I have the opportunity.

- , Castro Valley, CA, USA