Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Sep 012015

The check engine light has been on since September 2015. I have visited the dealer three times (until end-Jan 2015) and there is no resolution. I have a metro mile tag that transmits me error codes and as per that the problem is P0037 - ho2S heater control circuit low bank 1 sensor 2 the dealer has not been able to resolve it and it is a absolute waste of time getting the vehicle to the dealer so many times.

- Fremont, CA, USA

Jan 152016

60,064 miles my transmission went. The car is only 3 years old and should not be having these problems. I have looked up reviews on this car and seen this is a commen problem for this car. So why hasn't there been a recall on it? my car died in the middle of a highway and I could have been killed! I had to have it towed from the scene.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Dec 172015

While driving the vehicle on 12/17/15 on an on ramp to a highway, the secondary latch (recall previously at dealership to be repaired 7/2015) failed causing the hood to fly up. Filed complaint with Nissan who told us to take it to a dealership. We took it to a dealership in which they verified the secondary latch was not working and gave us an estimate of $3,200 in damages. We are still waiting for Nissan to approve the repair of the latch and damages. They now are telling us that they have to send an adjuster to look at the car and that could take weeks. In the mean time, we are driving an unsafe vehichle with children.

- Gibsonia, PA, USA

Jan 152016

My transmission went out on a three year old car as I was driving on a highway. I attempted to push down on the gas pedal on the highway and the car would not accelerate. After I D able to pull over and attempted to drive pushing down on the gas the car began to roll backwards. When I switch to different gears the car rolled backwards. I had to be towed O the nearest dealership.

- Red Bank, NJ, USA

Dec 162015

Right front inside door handle inoperable. Replaced inside door handle assembly (part number 80670-3ta0D)

- Overland Park, KS, USA

Dec 252015

On 12/25/15 after leaving gas station, hood of car came open and crashed into windshield. I immediately pulled over and thankfully their were no cars in front of me nor the rear of me. It did not crack the windshield, but damage has be done to hinge and some body damage when the hood flew open.

- Harlem, GA, USA

Nov 282014

Vehicle struck tree, engulfed in flames. Driver, sole occupant, also engulfed in flames inside car. Vehicle was on city street, no other vehicles involved in crash.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA

May 202015

I have a 2013 Altima that shudders/hesitate/vibrates intermittently upon acceleration. I have taken it to the dealership twice. Upon picking up my car, I have been told that the issue could not be duplicated. The problem started at approximately 25,000 miles. I am know at 54,000 miles and fear that the warranty will be up before a solution is found. The shuddering/vibration/hesitancy can happen anywhere. I have researched the issue online and found numerous complaints, however, no recalls.. I am sure Nissan knew of the defect prior to releasing the vehicles and something needs to be dont to correct this issue.

- Elgin, SC, USA

Sep 182015

Backup camera signal to screen fails and loses picture when backing up. Static appears on screen. Occurs with random reverse movement. Usually from parking lot or stall, indoor or outdoor, even own private dwelling garage. Attempted remedy by Nissan service was to replace audio component but still recurs. Has happened about 8 times so far.

- Moraga, CA, USA

Oct 172015

While driving on the highway, the hood of the car came flying up and completely covered the windshield. The force was so great that it damaged the roof lining inside the car as well as knocked the sunglasses holder out of place (hanging by a wire),

- Yorktown Heights, NY, USA

Oct 122015

While driving approximately 60-65mph, my sunroof glass exploded showing me with broken glass. No impact was made to the sunroof. I was driving on level ground, not under any overpasses, or by anywhere where something could have been thrown.

- Greenacres, WA, USA

Sep 162015

Parked vehicle and could not get out, the driver side door handle would not work, had to crawl over console to get out on passenger side. Drove to my Nissan dealer to get it checked and they couldn't do anything that day so an appointment was set up for next day Sept. 17th, 2015. Which I think should have been at least looked at because if my vehicle would have caught on fire or if I was involved in an accident I couldn't have got out of the car fast. I was also charged for this repair which now I am fighting with Nissan because I am still under bumper to bumper warranty. Which have only owned the car for 2 years and it doesn't have 36,000 miles on it. They are telling me I have to pay because of wear and tear. Also the dealer told that I am the only person with this model and year that has had this problem. I have researched that in the models 2003-2008 had the same problem. I am fighting because they have charged me $114.98 to fix the cable because no parts are on my receipt and my console was lose and they also charged me $45 to tighten screws. The dealer also blamed this on me when my car has be in their shop for passenger side air bag staying on many times, when they did this repair my passenger side seat was always moved and used what is to say they weren't putting their weight on my console. I have owned many new vehicles and never had this happen. This is my third Nissan and my second one bought from this dealership. I was wondering if anyone else has had the same problem and if there is something that you can do to help me.

- Perryopolis, PA, USA

Aug 052015

When crossing an intersection my car stopped and would not go for a few seconds. I was just fortunate there were no cars coming. It's has stopped like this many times I just haven't been in the middle of an intersection. My pregnant daughter was very upset when it happened to her on an occasion she was driving it. I'm also extremely unhappy about the rust in my wheels. I can't believe that a 2013 car has this happening. I had a 2007 montaro that had less rust around its tires before I traded it for this car. I'm extremely disappointed.

- Oswego, NY, USA

Aug 092015

2013 Nissan Altima recall notice malfunction hood release which could cause a collision. Well happened to my daughter on August 9th, who had my permission to drive my car she by the way is 28. I was never notified of this recall, however my friend that leased the same vehicle two months prior at the same dealership, was notified. My daughter was just getting onto the expressway doing approx. 20 mph if that when the hood of my vehicle "released" and blew up against the windshield to where she could not see at all. Luckily god was with her and she was able to pull over safely. My vehicle is still at a Nissan dealership as of today, August 26th, collision shop still sitting in the same spot that it was towed to. Over $6,000 in damages for a recall that I should have been notified and Nissan should be praying and feeling blessed that this horrific accident and believe me it was horrifying to see that people were not killed, shame on Nissan corporation for me not receiving the recall notice, shame on Nissan for not figuring out when my car was in for service that my VIN number showed nothing or it was ignored, recall notices are connected automatically to any numbers whether car, appliance, car seats, etc., come on we are living in 2015. Shame on Nissan that this is not important to them to help me. I have dates and records of communication and am trying to reach out and try to make this public however I am at a stand still and need advice and help, thank you!

- Prattsburgh, NY, USA

Jun 182015

The secondary latch on the hood of my car failed - causing my hood to fly up while I was driving.

- Hammonton, NJ, USA

Mar 292013

Backup camera quality is not very good

- Little Egg Harbor, NJ, USA

Apr 042014

Sunroof rattling since 2013.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Feb 052015

Cluster failed and some lights on dashboard are not visible. This is known issue see ntb14-049 and should warrant a recall because you can't see anything on dashboard. Cost is 1000. Contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and was told they won't recall or cover repair unless your office requires recall.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 302015

60033 miles, needed new cvt transmission. 33 miles over warranty!!!!!

- Washington, DC, USA

Nov 202014

The glow in the dark emergency trunk release handle pulled off. Either the angle at which it was positioned or the materials made it so flimsy that it pulled off within the trunk. I thought there was a recall on this but I can't see on.

- Yuma, AZ, USA