Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 252016

Didn't deploy I hit the 2013 danrango truck from behind on my passenger front knocking the tire completely off the truck on the driver rar wheel.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 122016

While entering onto interstate 64 in hampton, Virginia I noticed fire coming up from the console between the gear shift and the arm rest. There were no warnings. The vehicle was completely destroyed. Fire investigation report states that is was a mechanical failure. Nissan company has been notified and a case number provided. They have stated they will investigate.

- Newport News, VA, USA

Sep 052016

Shift gear locks up in park and will not move unless you press the shift over ride. Only 39000 miles on the car. Vehicle is stationary when this happens.0

- Deltona, FL, USA

Jul 182016

I currently have a 2013 Nissan Altima and have just found out that my car needs a new head gasket!! the car always got its scheduled maintenance with oil, gas, and fluid levels always at the proper level. I went in for a check engine light and a noise coming from my car, also my air conditioning had suddenly went out. I found out I needed a new radiator. I did not drive the car after this, I ordered my parts and had the radiator installed a week later. The car was driving great. Then I parked it shut it off and could not get it to start again. So the mechanic ran diagnostic on it and had a new code of cylinder misfire. So I changed out my spark plugs, but same thing happened. The car would start but once shut off it could not start again. Then the mechanic noticed the plugs were wet and said that it was anti-freeze dripping in, thus his diagnosis a new head gasket is needed.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 012016

We noticed that our car's black dashboard was becoming sticky and shiny during the summer. This has developed into a serious safety issue because it affects my visibility when IżM driving. The melting dashboard creates a strong glare or reflection on the windshield which impedes my ability to see the road and my surrounds. I notified my local dealership and they refused to help me with this problem. I called Nissan Consumer Affairs which also denied my request to solve this issue. It appears that the dashboard material that is used was not properly tested for higher temperatures or that this is simply a defective part. The residue on the surface of the dashboard could also be a health hazard as the dashboard is clearly degrading and may be emitting fumes within the cabin. I also suspect that left untreated, this melting dashboard has the potential to impact the deployment of airbags within the vehicle. I expect that Nissan addresses these concerns and offers a solution to this manufacturing defect before it causes an accident.

- Tallahassee, FL, USA

Aug 072016

Passenger door handle does not open door even when manuel lock is in open position. Can not exit car unless you roll down window and open from outside handle. Once door is open you have to leave car running door open to roll up window before shutting off car. Only inside door handle won't open car. Outside getting into car is no problem. Car was stationary on city street.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Jul 252016

A/C failure and doesn't blow cold. Compressor need replacement. In the beginning the car will stay cool on the freeway and sometime will blow cold when at a stand still. Now will blow hot air because of compressor failure. I have seen this happen to 4 cars already in the past 4 motnhs.

- Conroe, TX, USA

Jun 012016

I received two recall notices (airbag related and hood latch). I contacted the dealer as advised on the notice and was told that a recall specialist would have to call me me back to schedule. I did not hear from anyone for two weeks and then called the number listed on the notice for Nissan national Consumer Affairs, as this was recommended if the dealer is unresponsive. The representative gave me a case number (22894092) and transferred me to my local dealer again. I was again told that I would be contacted by the service department to schedule this maintenance, but I have not heard back. It has been over one month since I initially called to schedule.

- Decatur, GA, USA

May 012016

My auto do not even have 70,000 miles and needs a new transmission. $ 4,000 "?? really??"

- Golden,, CO, USA

Jun 152016

The windows on the front driver and passenger will not open from the inside of the car. In order to open the door you have to roll down the windows to open from the outside.

- Mansfield, TX, USA

May 232016

I purchased this car 1 year ago, and in the past 2 days (at 86K miles), it has died at a stop a total of 4 times while on the road when I came to a stop (3 times in 1/4 mile, uphill - could not get it back into drive, had 6 people push it to the side parking lot). I was not able to get it started till the 6th try in the parking lot (had to switch to neutral and then to drive in order for it to not shut off). This is absolutely the most terrifying experience I've ever had driving. I got this car because it had high safety ratings, what a joke - worst investment of my life!! I am now $12K in debt with a car that can't even get me from point a to point B without breaking down.

- Longview, WA, USA

Apr 262016

A/C does not cooling, just hot air.

- Johns Creek, GA, USA

Apr 012016

I had my 3 pending recalls repaired this week at the Nissan dealership, yet one is still left on the website (even though it shows no recalls on the Nissan website) I cannot export my car overseas until the site has been updated. Please assist, thank you.

- Camp Springs, MD, USA

Mar 152015

I'm having and issues with the passenger side airbag not engaging when I have a passenger in the front seat, not registering that there is someone sitting in the seat.. another issues is water saturating the passenger floor boards all the way to the back seat when is rains outside

- Racine, WI, USA

Mar 072016

For unknown reasons, the brakes stay on causing the car to either not move, or to go into limp mode. When this happens, the gear shifter can be moved out of park without depressing the brake. Also, the car can be started without having to depress the brake pedal. Sometimes, the outside brake lights stay on, sometimes they don't. I replaced the brake light switch and manually operating the switch would not make lights go off. Sometimes when driving, the brake system will release and vehicle accelerates rapidly, to the point of losing control. Sometimes, a quick pump of the brake pedal will release whatever is going on-sometimes nothing will cause it to go back to normal. Removing the negative battery cable will turn off the lights, but will not reset the problem. Dealer has no suggestions to remedy the problem, except to let them keep the car and to start replacing parts until they make the problem go away. Nissan America says Nissan has already spent too much money trying to resolve previous issues on this car and would not spend another penny!!! private mechanic that is trying to troubleshoot problem is having no luck determining the cause. There are Nissan tsb's about shorted wiring, but only Nissan techs can acces those. Car has been in shop 44 times for 62 days for various major problems that Nissan can't or won't fix completely. Nissan refuses to try to make the situation right, even though they admit the down time is exorbitant and not in lines with their company satisfaction guarantee.

- Westfield, MA, USA

Feb 202016

While driving on route 128 North the engine hood flew open and smashed winsheild, top roof, bent both fenders, and engine hood. Car went to auto shop for repairs. This was due to secondary hood latch failure.

- Dorchester, MA, USA

Feb 182016

I simply turned on my car when the RPM and speed gauge went out of control from 0 to max in stationary mode, the car was parked in my garage spot. This process occurred several times in a row, along with this the car engine was extremely loud making roaring noises and shuddering and vibratign. When I put my foot on the brake pedal nothing happened the car continued with the RPM and speed gauge cycling from 0 to max, I did not feel safe to attempt to drive the car. Last month I had to have the car service because it would not accelerate while I was on the freeway the max speed on the car was 30 miles per hour. I got off the highway immediately and the car turned off when I parked it on the street. It took 3 attempts to finally turn on. The car did this again on a second occurrence before I could get it to the dealer, I was driving on the street and again the same issue occurred. The car stalls, jerks, vibrates on its own at random times. Each time I have had my preventive services done at the dealer the car is in near perfect condition and nothing can be diagnosed, then the car has these incidents occur with no warning.

- Woodland Hills, CA, USA

Feb 052016

For 3 years we have been dealing with this particular issue, with no resolution. The dashboard light signaling that the passenger air bag is properly activated for an adult occupant comes on or does not come on when it is supposed to. This occurs whether the car is stationary or on the move. The dealer has told us not to put anything on the passenger seat = ridiculous. The dealer then said that it "reprogrammed the system". then the dealer told us that they needed to replace the sensor. I believe this has been done 2 X. we last had this attended to Sept 15, 2015 but the "so-called repair" did not work again. This air bag issue is serious, and we feel unsafe in this car, therefore we have driven less than 2000 miles in 5 months - the car sits in the garage. The problem is intermittant = we don't know when the air bag system is functioning correctly - we must assume it is malfunctioning!

- Austin, TX, USA

Feb 052016

When driving on the highway my vehicle turned off. Turned the car back on just fine. When I put it back into drive it turned off again. Called 911 who transferred me to dps which had to shut all 5 lanes of traffic to push me off to the side. Towed car to dealership which wrongfully diagnosed with a low battery key fob. Same night after picking up my car it turned off in the middle of an intersection at night. Luckily this time it stayed on after putting it in drive. My car is still undiagnosed at the dealership almost a full week later.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Feb 012016

Loud vibrating sound when depressing the accelerator at 40mph and 70mph. At low rpms to car also vibrates around 25mph. It also vibrates at 40mph and 70mph when pressing on the accelerator.

- Baltimore, MD, USA