CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 14 of 16)

Jun 202013

Altima 4-cyl

So I have been having this problem ever since I purchased this vehicle. The passenger air bag off switch turns on while an adult is sitting in the seat and car is being driven. I have brought it in for repairs 4 separate times. The first time they performed a "zero point" reset. A few days went by and it did it again. I took it back 2 times after that and they kept saying they could not duplicate the problem even though I have video of it on my phone. So I took it to a different dealership to see what they would say about it and the many other problems I am experiencing. They had my car for 10 days. I personally spoke and test drove with the technician and he told me he performed the zero point reset again. But when I picked it up the paperwork only states that they could not reproduce the problem and no work was performed. But last night the same night I picked it up it did it again and again I have video evidence of it switching off while sitting in it and driving. This is a huge safety issue, and someone needs to makes Nissan fix it. Oh and the loaner car which was a 2013 Nissan rogue did the same exact thing and I have 2 videos of it.

- Reston, VA, USA

Jun 162013

Altima 4-cyl

The passenger airbag status indicator light illuminated (above radio console), indicating passenger airbag was off, at 10:36pm with a full size adult female passenger sitting and buckled in the passenger seat. Prior to that incident, earlier in the evening, the passenger airbag status indicator light was not illuminated, indicating the airbag was active, at 9:14pm with the passenger seat empty and no other load placed in contact with the seat. Two minutes later at 9:16pm the passenger airbag status indicator changed state and illuminated after turning left onto another street.

- Gilbert, AZ, USA

Mar 012013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated she received the recall notice under NHTSA campaign number: 13V069000 (air bags). The manufacturer stated the part for the recall repair was not available. The contact had not experienced a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The current mileage was 1500.

- Palm Harbor, FL, USA

Jan 212013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger air bag indicates off with occupant in seat.- returned to dealer for repair on Jan,21, Apr 4, May 14 and June 4. dealer replaced occupant sensors on April 4,2013. Problem was not rectified, they claim there is no defect. Filed complaint with Nissan Consumer Affairs, they claim they could only go by what dealer states. Therefore they are useless to consumer.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Feb 042013

Altima 4-cyl

Driver' side rear view mirror vibrates while driving at all speeds. I have taken my car several times to several different dealers to replace the mirror and mirror housing and problem has not been fixed. Mirror continues to vibrate. Also, I got several letters of recalls on this car, such as the sensors on the airbags and the spare tire being over-inflated. Also, the airbag light has turned on twice and does not turn off, even while driving. I do not feel safe in this car at all, this car is a lemon.

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Dec 012012

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger's air bag turns on and off randomly while an adult (150 lbs) is sitting while car is moving at different speeds (0 to 80 mph). I took car to dealership in January and reported problem to the service manager and he stated that it was normal. I explained to the manager how that could not be normal because the passenger can suffer serious injuries or even death if we had an accident. The service manager stated he checked the car's computer and there we no error codes. The car is not included in the recall Nissan issued in April. Now, I'm nervous/worried when I have a somebody in the passenger's side and the airbag light turns off randomly. In addition, the electrical steering pump makes a loud vibrating noise at low speeds. Service manager stated it's not normal but Nissan does not know how to fix the problem.

- Augusta, GA, USA

May 252013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger air bag off warning light comes on intermittently, even with a person over 100 lbs. In the front passenger seat. This has been an issue since the car was new. I brought the car into the dealer and they "recalibrated" the sensor, but this did not fix the issue. The recent passenger air bag recall did not include my VIN, so it appears that Nissan has no idea how to fix this. By reading these complaints on safercar.gov, it appears that this is a widespread issue. How long will Nissan's customers be forced to drive around with compromised safety systems?

- Irvine, CA, USA

Mar 142013

Altima

Well I noticed that my passenger airbag off light was on with a passenger sitting in the vehicle, it has done this many times, and I even have a video of me sitting in it and I weight 180lbs with the light on while the car is being driven. I have taken it in to the dealership 3 different times for this problem. Each time they have told me that they have reset the seat. It is still doing it, the video came after the third time and just 3 days ago. I called Nissan about this and my other big problems and they have told me that I should take it to another dealer. There is a recall on this through Nissan and yet I have brought it in 3 separate times and they still keep telling me its ok. No sir. Nissan seems to just not care I have asked them many times for a Nissan rep to come out and look at my car and they just keep telling me to take it to a different dealer. The problem is all the Nissan dealers around me are owned and managed by the same company. And Nissan will not help me with a loaner car if I drive it 200 miles away to the next dealer. So I am just screwed. Very upset with how Nissan runs their business. This is my first and last Nissan ever!

- Reston, VA, USA

Aug 012012

Altima 4-cyl

I have reported to Nissan several times about my vehicle having squeaky brakes. They supposedly added a stint to quiet the brakes but that didn't work. Also the airbag light is not functioning properly.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 052012

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front passenger air bag off warning message was illuminated. The passenger's seat was occupied when the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who determined that the air bag was operable and without failure. The contact was concerned because the failure occurred while his wife, sat in the seat. The failure was reported to the manufacturer. The failure mileage was 30. The current mileage was 8,000.

- Port Washington , NY, USA

Feb 012013

Altima

On at least three occasions the air bag indicator has indicated that the air bag has been turned off. In all of these cases an adult has occupied the passenger seat. This issue is not consistent. In one case when it did not deploy I turned the car off and then on again and it appears to work correctly. At this time I do not know if the airbag is engaged or not. I consider this a severe safety issue.

- Montgomery, MN, USA

May 112013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger side air bag light off is coming on with an adult sitting in the seat. Took car in to dealership. They ran computer test and nothing came up. Test drove with me sitting in passenger seat and problem still happened. Tech performed multipoint vehicle inspection and nothing came up. Even thou problem is still there, Nissan states all systems operating to specification. In my opinion, nothing was done to correct the problem. I'm hoping Nissan does not wait until someone is hurt or killed to issue a recall.

- Mantua, NJ, USA

Sep 042012

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving various speeds, the air bag off indicator illuminated continuously even though a front seat passenger was present. The failure occurred whenever the front seat occupant weighted less than 130 pounds. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer three times for the similar defect. The technician stated that the vehicle functioned as designed. The manufacturer was notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 1,000...updated 06/17/13

- West Orange, NJ, USA

Mar 012013

Altima 4-cyl

Front seat passenger airbag system doesn't work with my front seat passengers weighing between 115-125 pounds. Status light indicates system is off and airbag will not inflate in a crash. Nissan customer service tells me the system is designed to work with front seat passengers 85 pounds and up. I am filing as I see other 2013 Nissan Altima owners are having the same problem. Dealer "can't duplicate the problem " so no repairs have been made. My vehicle continues to offer no front passenger seat air bag protection for 115-125 pound passengers.

- Cross Lanes, WV, USA

May 072013

Altima 4-cyl

The airbag sensor for the front passenger seat does not work properly. On multiple occasions, when a 120-130 lb female is sitting in the passenger seat, the detection system and warning light suggest the air bag has been shut off. There is a recall for Nissan Altima of my model year, but not my vehicle. This is clearly a safety issue but I don't know why my vehicle is not part of the recall. When I test-drove the vehicle in January, the salesman (~130 lb) was sitting in the passenger seat and joked that he often triggered the airbag shut-off because he didn't weigh enough. But I assume the weight maximum for shut-off has to be around 70 pounds.

- Somerville, MA, USA

May 072013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger air bag indicator turns on, randomly ? even when passenger seat is occupied. It means passenger air bag is off - it will not inflate in a crash. I'm very scary drive this car with someone who sits the passenger seat. Nissan already recalls 2013 Altima with the same issue. I reported it at Nissan dealer, they do nothing and say my car's VIN# not include the recalls so they don't fix or replace anything.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Mar 212013

Altima 4-cyl

When sitting the front passenger seat passenger air bag off sign comes out and randomly disappear, appear repeatedly. Sit the very properly by owner' manual it comes out. It means passenger air bag is off sign on it will not inflate in a crash. I'm very scary drive this car with someone who sit the passenger seat. Although sitting on the seat properly and using the seat belt properly it doesn't matters because the passenger air bag off light always illuminate. It is very dangerous in a crash. I really want to know need air bag for what"?" Nissan already recalls some car same issues. I bring my car Nissan dealer, they do nothing and say"this is normal" and have same problems my car's VIN# not include the recalls so they don't fix or replace anything. It is ridiculous. Also Altima has weird winning high pitch noise all the time and drive low RPM to change to high RPM makes very loud rumbling knocking noise.it seems like a drive belt and tensioner problems. Dealer say that it is normal. Dealer always say "it is normal". if my warranty is finish they say that it is problems. I really want to solutions.

- Hawaiian Gardens, CA, USA

Feb 042013

Altima 4-cyl

After I bought the car I noticed the driver's side rear view mirror was vibrating while driving at all speeds. Then the dealer replaced the mirror several times until they fixed the vibrating problem. But now, the mirror they replaced it with seems to be a generic mirror, seems like a convex mirror and the objects and view look deformed. It isn't a flat mirror and the dealer said that is normal and all the cars have that same mirror. That is a lie because when they changed my very first mirror due to vibrating, it was flat and clear. This issue has not been solved but now they replaced 2 sensors that are on recall and waiting for a third sensor on the driver's airbag to be replaced as well due to recall. I am so tired of going back and forth to the dealer that I am finally going to file a complaint, this car is a lemon! (2013 Nissan Altima sv -pearl white).

- Pacoima, CA, USA

Mar 302013

Altima 4-cyl

I purchased a new 2013 Altima sedan 2.5sl mid of March. 1. passenfer airbag off light on. Passenger airbag seems to disable itself randomly. 2. whining or whistling noise from engine bay. 3. when I make a turn(letf, right both) I can hear druming sound from back.

- Austin, TX, USA

Oct 012012

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the passenger side air bag shut off independently as a passenger was occupying the seat. The vehicle was taken to two different dealers for a total of five times for the failure. The contact was informed each time that the failure could not be recreated. The contact was informed of the recall under NHTSA campaign id number: 13V069000 (air bags) and contacted the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that the VIN was not included in the recall and no assistance was provided. The vehicle had not been repaired. The failure mileage was 250 and the current mileage was 21,000.

- Norman, OK, USA