CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 16)

Dec 282015

Altima

Vehicle was recalled for airbag deactivation light for passenger front seat that would turn on intermittently. After recall work was completed, we still experience this light turning on indicating that the front passenger airbags are deactivated. This has typically occurred when my wife (135lbs) is in the passenger seat but it has also happened when I was in the seat and I weigh 200lbs. This occurs when the vehicle is in motion on city streets.

- Marshall, MI, USA

Sep 152015

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag warning light remained illuminated, while the seat was occupied. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 16V244000 (air bags). The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 90,000.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jan 012016

Altima

Takata recall - airbag warning light continues to come on while the car is in motion after the Altima has previously been to the wallace dealership in stuart, Florida for repair.

- Palm City, FL, USA

May 062015

Altima

Shacking and unable to control and no one till this day"?? why ? I'm sorry but Dodge Chrysler nor any dealer ship has my air bag and 98% of parts in stock... so now what??" I spent a lot of much $$$$...

- Washington, DC, USA

Sep 012014

Altima

Airbag sensor doesn't work properly. While the car is in motion, the light turns on warning that the airbag will not deploy when a person is buckled in the passenger seat. My VIN is not included in the recall but I've noticed this issue for over a year. My Nissan dealership ignored my complaint a year ago when I asked them to look at it.

- Hertford, NC, USA

May 012014

Altima

The passenger side airbag "off" light will illuminate when a passenger around 130 lbs sits in the passenger seat. When this occurs (about half of the time), the light illuminates upon engine startup and the passenger is seated. The only way to get the light to turn off is to shut off the car and restart it with the passenger still in the seat. The passenger airbag "off" light does not illuminate when I start the car first, and then the passenger sits in the seat. I have also noticed the light illuminate when my 5 lb work bag is in the passenger seat and I take a sharp turn around a highway ramp (turning for about 10 seconds). This all occurs even after the car was re-programed under recall 14V138000

- North Kingstown, RI, USA

Apr 022016

Altima

My almost 14 year old son who is 106 lbs. Sits in the passenger seat as well as a male friend who is 220. The passenger air bag light remains "off" when it should be engaged. I took it to a Nissan dealer and they said that they reset it and my son may not be "heavy enough". I am very upset at how they handled it (they didn't) and I can guarantee if there is an incident that happens and these were defective, there will be issues. I have read online that numerous other people have the same problem and they said they have to restart the car to get it to go off. I am not doing that or buying it. I was told that if Nissan does not recognize this problem for this specific year and model, that the recall with not be covered. It is obviously an issue. Secondly, I made an appt 3 weeks in advance for my hood latch to be repaired to allow for the part to get it. I drove 1.25 hrs to get it replaced, sat there for 2 hours to be told that they were putting in it and then "did not have it in". they had me take a rental car home "to have a supervisor look at my airbag" as it was over the weekend. I got a disgusting car for 5 days to find out nothing had been repaired. I "need to stop in when I am in town sometime" to get my hood latch replaced. Really"??" I will never go back to billion Nissan in sioux city. Poor service. I would like both of these issues taken care of promptly. Any assistance would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

- Aurelia, IA, USA

Mar 202016

Altima

The contact owned a 2013 Nissan Altima. While the contact's vehicle was at a stop light, it was struck head on by another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact sustained head and neck injuries that required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 58,437.

- Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022016

Altima

Passenger side airbag indicator light says it's off when an adult passenger of sufficient weight is buckled up and occupying the front passenger seat.

- Owensboro, KY, USA

Mar 012016

Altima

Last year there was NHTSA recall 15V-681 which relates to the occupant classification system (OCS). This is the control unit that turns the air bag protection on/off based on the size of the passenger... I took my car to the Nissan dealer but the issue continues. Some time later when I asked the service man about it, they say the car is out of warranty, and want to charge me to check and fix the OCS. Which is part of the NHTSA recall 15V-681 what is my recourse? I have two kids, a 16 and a 20 years old. The air bag will be turned on or off on either of them randomly. It almost seems that the temperature of the day has something to do with it. Another issue with the car is that the parking brake light stays on after the pedal has been released and the car is being driven normally... again my guess is that it seems to occurred more when it is cold but it is intermittent. I have taken a video of the occurrence to show the dealer but they don't care about it. I cant send you the video because it is too big (more than 20mb) and you only allows a file no bigger than 5 mb the issue is still going on but since it is intermittent the date before is only a reference

- Wichita, KS, USA

Mar 062016

Altima

I have had ongoing problem with the passenger airbag since the car was new. The yellow light on the the dash will sometimes stay on, indicating that the passenger airbag is disabled, even with a 150 lb adult sitting properly in the seat. If I pull over and turn off the car and restart, it usually goes out. I have reported this numerous times to the dealer (I also have pictures of the light staying on), but have been told that they have done everything they can, but cannot fix the problem. I also have reported this twice on this site (NHTSA), but nothing has been solved. It is obvious that both Nissan and NHTSA don't care about this safety issue, as many, many others have reported the same problem on this site during the last several years. When someone gets killed because their passenger airbag fails to work, maybe something will get done.

- Grandview, WA, USA

Mar 152015

Altima

I'm having and issues with the passenger side airbag not engaging when I have a passenger in the front seat, not registering that there is someone sitting in the seat.. another issues is water saturating the passenger floor boards all the way to the back seat when is rains outside

- Racine, WI, USA

Sep 132013

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. While driving at various speeds, the passenger side air bag warning light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the aftermarket leather seat and sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,800. Updated 06/23/16

- Clyde, NC, USA

Mar 162016

Altima

I was driving my 2013 3.5 sv Altima (V6) at around 35-40 mph, on a city street, with my wife seated on the front passenger seat. I noticed that the passenger air bag 'off' light in the center of the dashboard was illuminated. I asked my wife to shift a bit while being in her seat, which she did, but the airbag 'off' light remained illuminated throughout the journey of about 15-20 mins. This was dangerous and somewhat unnerving as the 'passenger air bag' was showing as 'off' inspite of a passenger being in the seat. This needs to be investigated and fixed.

- Vernon Hills, IL, USA

Jan 252016

Altima

The contact owned a 2013 Nissan Altima. While driving 30 mph, the vehicle revved and accelerated without warning. The contact depressed the brake pedal, but the vehicle did not respond. As a result, the contact's vehicle crashed into another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The driver sustained injuries to the pelvic, both legs, head, teeth, and. Medical attention was required. The vehicle was destroyed and towed. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 29,000.

- Columbus, GA, USA

Apr 072015

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the air bag light remained off even when a passenger was seated in the passenger seat. The vehicle was taken to the dealer to repair the sensor, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 32,000.

- Vernon, CT, USA

Mar 012015

Altima

Front passenger airbag warning light says passenger airbag is "off" even when someone (adult) is sitting in passenger seat. Happens intermittingly and light goes off (passenger airbag "on") after a while-5 to 10 minutes. Complained to dealer. They said there was no recall. Saw no problem.

- Mashpee, MA, USA

Feb 092016

Altima

Car jutter & stalled when came to a stop. Took car to local Nissan dealership and they placed car on diagnostic which came back clear and could not duplicate problem for 2 days. Received car back and car did the same thing, took it to a different Nissan dealership that said they have heard of same complaints but they have had my car for 5 days and claim to not be able to duplicate the problem. Car warranty is almost up and Nissan seems to be of no help. Passenger airbag light also stays on from time to time. I have read and printed out several identical complaints and there seems to be no resolve.

- Pittsburg, CA, USA

Feb 272016

Altima

My vehicle has been in twice now for the passenger airbag light remaining on when a passenger over 130lbs is seated in that seat. I first had this checked by kayser Nissan in madison 1/10/14 and was told no problem found then the recall came out and the vehicle was serviced again at kayser Nissan and was told the problem was fixed. Airbag light has been coming on again with person in seat and vehicle has to be pulled over and turned off and restarted for it to reset properly. This is very inconvenient and unsafe for passengers. The vehicle is mostly driven without passenger so this problem is not noticed right away making it hard to file a lemon law complaint even though it was first complained about within first year and under warranty.

- Stoughton, WI, USA

Feb 142016

Altima

The contact owned a 2013 Nissan Altima. While driving 50 mph, the front of the vehicle struck an embankment. The air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained major injuries to the sternum, which required medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure mileage was 36,000.

- Columbia, MO, USA