CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Nissan Altima has multiple problem trends including the CVT transmission, and now that this model is out of warranty, it earns our "avoid like the plague" badge.

Owners complain about vibration and transmission failure related to the CVT (Continuously Variable Transmission), a whining noise from the power steering pump, and constant windshield problems that appear to be the result of poor design.

Be warned: the 2014 & 2015 Nissan Altima appears to share these same problems.

2013 Nissan Altima seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Nissan Altima:

2013 Nissan Altima Owner Comments (Page 9 of 16)

May 032013

Altima 4-cyl

After driving the car for a few months, I noticed that the passenger air bag light would go on with a passenger sitting in the seat. It didn't happen all the time but when it did, the light could stay on for an entire trip. In this Nissan car, when the light is on, that means the air bag is off. I took my concern to the dealership where I bought it. The dealership replaced many of the parts under the seat in an attempt to solve the problem. By October of 2013, Nissan sent a special technician to five towns Nissan in inwood, NY to address my problem. He replaced the railing under the seat but told me the system was working correctly and they were just making me happy. However, in may of 2014, I received a recall notice for my very problem. It turns out many others must have had the same issue. The recall was a software re-program of the occupancy sensor. But, this recall did not fix the issue. I have spoken to Nissan Consumer Affairs many times and they treat this like an individual problem. They actually ask me what I would like them to do. I tell them I want the air bag to inflate during an accident so my passenger doesn't die. I'm fed up with their response. The company that makes the system needs to address the problem. Like with all car companies, they conceal the truth and wait until people die before they solve a problem. I have now taken my car to two different dealerships, nine times in the past fifteen months and there is still no solution.

- Oceanside, NY, USA

Jul 142014

Altima 6-cyl

Although my 2013 Nissan Altima had the passenger side airbag fixed at the dealership after a voluntary recall, the issue still persists. The passenger side of the vehicle does not detect someone sitting in the seat most of the time so the air bag light comes on notifying the driver that the air bag is off.

- St. Clairsville, OH, USA

Jul 032014

Altima 4-cyl

Other driver ran a red light hitting the side of my car doing over 50 mph and the side impact air bags did not deploy.

- Lyman, SC, USA

Jun 282014

Altima 4-cyl

I have had trouble with my cars " air bag off " warning light staying lit with a passenger in the seat ever since I bought the car new. It has been to the dealership to be " repaired " 4 times. Each time it was not corrected. Recently I brought the car in for this problem as part of the safety recall. Despite this, once again this past weekend the " airbag off " light comes on even though a passenger is in the seat. The light will come on randomly and then stay lit the whole time I am driving... no matter how the passenger sits or moves in the seat it will not turn off until the car is turned completely off and then restarted. Now the dealer says to bring the car in for the 5th time and they will see if there is an error code. ( in the past there has not been any error codes retained ) I feel this car is completely unsafe for my family until this problem can be fixed... until then I never know if my airbags are truly working correctly... and I don't want to have to find out after an accident that they weren't. my last Nissan !

- East Hartford, CT, USA

Jun 292014

Altima

Adult was seating in passenger seat and no airbag light came on. Never had this happen until after I took it to the dealer for the recall repair.

- Moores Hill, IN, USA

Jan 012013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger airbag light turns on sporadically, whether a 150 pound adult is in the passenger seat or absolutely nothing. Issue was first noticed more than a year ago. The vehicle was brought to our very professional and courteous Nissan service department immediately and they said that it would need to be recalibrated. The problem recurred consistently over the last year with service department mechanics repeatedly performing the same "fix" that the manufacturer had given them for the issue. Once the recall was announced and we got our car in to the garage, we were told that the same "fix" would be performed. As expected, the issue was seen once again 3 days after the vehicle had received the recall work.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jun 212014

Altima

Adult passenger sitting in the front passenger seat. Airbag light indicating the air bags will not deploy goes on intermittently. Had the latest recall fix applied several weeks ago but this problem was not fixed. Been to the dealer 3 times for this problem.

- Perkasie, PA, USA

Apr 252013

Altima 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated when an adult passenger was seated in the front seat, the air bag sensor light illuminated indicating that the front passenger seat air bag system was defective. The contact stated that the air bag sensor light illuminated intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and repaired under the NHTSA recall campaign number 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system) but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the defect. The failure mileage was 1,000. The vehicle was taken to the dealer four times. They re-programmed the computer twice, and replaced the sensors, to no avail. Updated 07/22/14

- Troy, IL, USA

Jun 122013

Altima 4-cyl

Passenger air bag light stays on while passenger is sitting in the seat. Problem started a couple of weeks after I leased brand new car. The problem is ongoing for over a year now. The fox Nissan dealership cannot replicate the problem so Nissan will not offer any resolution. I've been trying for a year now and the problem persists, Nissan or dealership cannot say if the airbag will work in the case of a crash. I'm paying monthly lease payments on a car that may or may not be safe. What ever happened to customer service? took the car in last Friday for the airbag recall, problem is still there after dealership updated the software problem. Both fox Nissan dealership and Nissan regional field rep said there is nothing more they can do since they can't replicate the problem. Apparently the photos of the problem they had me take we're to make me feel like they actually cared. I can't believe I'm continuing to make payments on this unsafe vehicle.

- Middleville, MI, USA

Jun 142014

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while a passenger was sitting in the front seat the air bag light illuminated. The contact shut the vehicle off and restarted it and the air bag light shut off. The failure recurred within twenty minutes. The failure occurred on three occasions. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The dealer repaired the air bag sensor; however, the failure recurred. The failure mileage was 17,857. The current mileage was 18,200.

- Moraga, CA, USA

Sep 052013

Altima

TL * the contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact's vehicle was repaired according to NHTSA campaign id number: 14V138000 (air bags); however, the failure recurred. The dealer stated that the floor mat sensor needed to be reprogrammed. While a passenger was seated in the front passenger seat, the air bag sensor failed to illuminate. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 3,000. Jcc

- Wallingford, CT, USA

May 032014

Altima

TL * the contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. While driving approximately 65 mph, the contact noticed that the air bag safety features on the vehicle were disabled. The dealer was unable to repair the vehicle because an error code could not be determined. The manufacturer was notified. The approximate failure mileage was 19,000.

- Horsehead , NY, USA

Jun 032014

Altima

Brought my car in when I received the recall notice from Nissan that the passenger side air bag had an issue due to a software glitch. After bringing the car in and having the software updated, a few days later, the light again came on while there was a passenger (myself, adult female about 130 lbs) in the passenger side seat (my husband was driving and noticed the light had come on). I reported it to the dealer where I had bought the car and had the recall repair made, they told me there were several other cars also reporting that the error continued even after having the software fix applied. They told me I'd have to bring the car in and they would try to duplicate the error and possibly replace a seat track, but would need to confirm with Nissan on whether or not they could do this. I think it is ridiculous that if they know there is an issue and know the fix did not fix it, they need to proceed with additional steps in order to resolve this failure in the safety equipment.

- Apex, NC, USA

Dec 122012

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the front passenger side air bag warning indicator flashed on and off while the seat was occupied. The vehicle was taken to the dealer numerous times and the occupant classification system was replaced repeatedly; however, the failure recurred. The dealer stated that nothing else could be done to remedy the failure. The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 2,042.

- Conneaut, OH, USA

Apr 082013

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the passenger air bag light intermittently illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who repaired the vehicle under NHTSA campaign id number: 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system). The vehicle was repaired but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The VIN was not available the approximate failure mileage was 20,900.

- Bowling Green, KY, USA

Apr 122013

Altima 6-cyl

The passenger airbag turns off when a passenger is in the seat. It is not always immediate and does not happen every time it is driven. It has had 2 recalls for this issue and this will be the 11th time it has been into the dealership for this same thing. The majority of the time, the dealership claims that they cannot find a problem, however, they were not driving it beyond the parking lot enough to even put one mile on it until I brought that to their attention April 18, 2014. They stated that the vehicle never showed a campaign for the recall, although 2 of my receipts state that it was repaired. I've contacted Nissan headquarters and requested a repurchase order, however it is not guaranteed. They told me to keep working with the dealership. I have taken it in an excessive amount of times for the same thing. I bought the car with 7,000 miles and remainder of the warranty, . if it had been purchased brand new, it would have qualified under the lemon law as a lemon. It is an unsafe vehicle because the airbags will not deploy if we are in an accident and I'm not making progress with the dealership nor headquarters.

- Oregon , IL, USA

May 232014

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under NHTSA campaign number: 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system) but the air bag warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer where the technician stated that the sensor would not acknowledge a person seated at the weight of 130 pounds or less. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 28,000 and the current mileage 28,500.

- Gulf Breeze, FL, USA

Mar 012013

Altima

Leased the vehicle in January 2013. Noticed that when I sit in the passenger seat, the airbag off light is illuminated at random times. Sometimes it is on the entire time I am in the passenger seat, sometimes it comes on after driving for a while and stays on and sometimes it doesn't come on at all. Brought to dealer for various fixes/recalls on the OCS system; had the latest recall issued in April 2014 done on my car a couple of weeks ago and the light still comes on intermittently, same as before. This is a safety issue to me, as I do not know if the airbags will deploy or not if we are involved in an accident because there is no consistency with the airbag off light being on when I sit there. The dealer looked at it once more for me yesterday (5/28) and said there is nothing else they can do. They have no idea why the light illuminates or if the airbags will deploy if I am involved in an accident. This is not a satisfactory answer to me. Someone else must get involved to get this issue resolved for me. I understand the dealership's hands are tied as they have no further direction/info from Nissan to correct the problem and they don't know what to do. I need a response and fix on this.

- Slatington, PA, USA

Apr 082013

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated that the air bag and the brake lights illuminated on the instrument panel intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who repaired the vehicle under NHTSA campaign id number 14V138000 (air bags, electrical system). However, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 14,000.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Apr 292014

Altima

The contact owns a 2013 Nissan Altima. The contact stated while making a right turn at approximately 15 mph, another vehicle crashed into the left side of the vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed. The contact sustained neck and shoulder injuries. The vehicle was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was notified of the failure and stated that the vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign id number: 14V138000 (air bags). The approximate failure mileage was not available. Drrk

- District Heights, MD, USA