CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 13 of 23)

Dec 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought my Nissan Maxima about 2years ago. My dad had bought me a 1999 Maxima during my high school years and it never gave me problems. It ran awesome so that's why I ended up buying my 1st Maxima and very disappointed. I took it to a transmission specialist because after the transmission would be hot I was having problems. It seemed after coming down speed it would slip and trying to accelerate after breaking for example: If a car infront of me would brake to turn and I would brake and then accelerate the car seems to not know what to do and it gets stuck and doesn't want to accelerate followed by a hard jerk that feels like someone just hit my back bumper. It's so unsafe driving I've had almost been in car accidents because it won't accelerate and almost got hit. It's so frustrating dealing with this car issue especially after just buying it and still making car payments and not being able to drive it. I will never buy Nissan again!! my mom bought a 2011 Nissan versa and are looking into trading it in for another make for the fear that it will have issues too!! this should be a recall. I can't afford to pay $3000-4000 on a rebuild transmission!!!!!

- Streamwood , IL, USA

Jun 052012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle would not shift properly and when it would shift, the vehicle would jerk forward abnormally. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 110,000.

- Denver, CO, USA

Oct 102012

Maxima 6-cyl

The car jerks when shifting into second gear.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Oct 262012

Maxima 6-cyl

I own a 2005 Nissan Maxima SE with approximately 70K miles. I began noticing the transmission slipping over the summer months. In the beginning of September, the transmission seemed to be stuck in 4th gear. I took the car to a shop that specialized in transmission, they replaced 2 electrical components in the transmission which repaired the immediate problem and made the car drivable, however the transmissions for the 2004-2005 Nissan Maxima appear to be known for early transmission problems. I also own a 1998 Nissan Altima and have never had problems. The transmission does not function like you would expect a 70K Nissan transmission to perform - it slips, hesitates and stutters. There is an obvious manufacturer defect here. As I was driving home from work today, the car was once again acting up and I will, unfortunately, once again, be taking it to the shop. When researching this problem online, there are hundred of complaints about the automatic transmission in this year/model.... please help.

- Allentown, PA, USA

Sep 052011

Maxima 6-cyl

Very hard jerky shifts between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and accompanied by loud clunking noise. Transmission slips out of gear during regular driving allowing the engine to rev freely then jerking back into gear with a loud clunk. The is followed by a burnt oil / electrical type smell that gets inside the car and evident outside after stopping. Sometimes I go for days with no symptoms at all and other times it may happen a dozen times in a day. I took it in to the dealer and none of the problems showed up for them but they noted that the engine mounts were broken but that would not cause these symptoms. They suggested a new transmission and motor mounts for $4,000. I drive mainly on the freeways in southern California and have maintained and babied this car since it was new. This is my first Nissan and I have loved this car until these symptoms. Please suggest what course of action should be taken to correct this and restore my faith in Nissan.

- Miami, FL, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

I am having very bad transmission issues. When I take off it jerks real bad in the lower gears and then when I am slowing down about to come to a stop it also kicks and jerks real bad when it gears down in the lower gears. And sometimes it just wont go at all..and then when I sit there a min and put my car from park to drive it hesitates for afew secs and then jumps real bad and then goes into drive.it usually does all this when the car is warmed up.

- Galloway, NJ, USA

Mar 082012

Maxima 6-cyl

Vehicle will not shift into drive unless the transmission lock is engaged (started @ 50K miles). Abrupt downshifts at about 20 mph (started @ 70K miles). Now the transmission is stuck in 5th and will not downshift (started at 75K miles). Vehicle is unsafe to drive and I'm told it will cost at least $3000 to replace transmission. This is completely unacceptable for a vehicle with only 75K miles. I will never buy another Nissan product again.

- El Paso, TX, USA

Jan 022012

Maxima 6-cyl

I had bought a 2005 Nissan Maxima within a month it started jerking really bad between first and second shift. Getting off the freeway and coming to a stop it started jerking really bad it seemed like I had been hit from my back bumper, but it just the sh*t gear problem. It was really scary especially having my two year old son in the car. I took my car to the mechanic multiple times but they didn't seem to know what the problem was so I looked it up online and there were numerous complaints with the same problem I was having. My Maxima now has 75000 miles and does not fall under warranty I am afraid that they are going to charge me $3000 for a problem that alot of Nissan seem to have and should have been recalled.

- Vista , CA, USA

Oct 012012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that her vehicle began to lunge forward while in first or second gear. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and the transmission was flushed. The failure recurred and the dealer recommended the transmission be replaced. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic and the transmission was rebuilt. One month later the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 110,000.

- Austell, GA, USA

Aug 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

When will we get a recall for the 2004 - 2005 Maxima transmissions? this is obviously a known and wide spread issue. I've found and read many many reports on these transmissions slipping in and out of gear, hard shifting (up and down), hesitating and hard jerk when placed in drive, and breaking motor mounts. Mine started this just under 100,000 miles. Most cases I've read reported this starting around 60,000 miles. Some have been fortunate enough that Nissan replaced the transmission, I hope I'm as lucky. Transmissions should be dependable and perform well beyond 100,000 miles, much less 60,000 miles. I've had faith in Nissan and was really impressed with Nissan vehicles until I discovered this epidemic issue. How many does it take to warrant and issue a recall? to protect Nissan's reputation and maintain it's customer base, I hope they support their customers in correcting this.

- Rincon, GA, USA

Aug 132012

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while attempting to shift gears the vehicle would shake violently. The contact mentioned that the vehicle failed to accelerate while going through an intersection. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who diagnose that the transmission was defective and needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance and referred her to the dealer. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 100,000 and the current mileage was 109,695. Updated 12/5/12 updated 12/12/2012

- Egg Harbor Township, NJ, USA

Aug 312012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 35 mph, the vehicle began to jerk abnormally. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the vehicle needed a replacement transmission. The failure and current mileages were 112,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Woonsocket, RI, USA

Jun 212012

Maxima 6-cyl

The vehicle will slam into gear at low speeds. Will pop out of gear when going from 35 to 45 miles per hour, and when you press the gas it will rev up to 5000 rpms and slam back into gear nearly causing me to have 2 accidents in traffic. When backing out of my driveway it takes from 10 to 20 seconds for it to engage in drive which could leave me out in the middle of the road for someone to slam into me. The transmission has also broken my motor mounts with all the twisting bucking slamming and jerking it has done.

- Hartselle, AL, USA

Sep 272012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while traveling 10 mph, the vehicle failed to shift from first to second or fifth gear. The check engine warning light illuminated during the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 94,000.

- Derby, CT, USA

May 062011

Maxima

I bought a 2005 Maxima 3.5 sl in 2006 brand new in South Carolina. I first started having problems when I had my 60,000 mile service. About two weeks after the service my check engine light came on so, I took it to the dealership. They said there was no codes, and cleared the light. I then took my car in for the 90,000 service and once again around a week or two later my check engine light came on. I took it to the dealer and now their was codes saying my egr valve needed to be replaced. I told the dealership the same thing happened when I did my 60,000 mile service. Needless to say their was a recall that they would have replaced it for free but I was just over the mileage where it could have been done at no cost to me. About 3 months later my car jerked really hard, and my car lost complete power then jerked once more and started to move. The gauges in the car went completely out and every light possible on the dash came on. First I was told I have to replace four sensors, and so I did so along with the egr valve. The car ran fine for about two weeks and started doing the same thing. When I went from drive to reverse or vice versa it would jerk real hard before engaging. I then took the car to the repair shop and they said my transmission sensor was bad. I just had it replaced two weeks ago, and now my car is back is the shop doing the same thing. The tcs slip, and every light on the dash is on, and none of my gauges are working. Now they say it might be the computer that is bad. This last time I was on my way home from Missouri and it disengaged and would not put up speed when I pressed the gas pedal. I was nearly rear ended, and had to pull over because my 12 year old daughter was in the car and got scared.

- Lawton, OK, USA

Apr 182012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 55 mph, the transmission began to jerk with hesitation without any prior warning. The contact mentioned that on a separate occasion the gear failed to shift into the reverse or park position and the key would not release from the ignition switch. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer who stated the transmission exhibited early signs of failure and the shift lock unit was replaced. The manufacturer was notified and they advised there was not a recall related to the defect. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jun 212012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the rpms would abnormally increase to 8000 rpms. In addition, the gear would slip and the vehicle would refuse acceleration attempts. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic and after inspection, the contact was told that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 120,000.

- Camden, CT, USA

Aug 152012

Maxima 6-cyl

Just after the vehicle passed 100,000 miles, it began to shift roughly between all gears. The car "bucks" when shifting, and sometimes seems to "miss" a shift, revving the engine before settling into gear. I have researched the issue and found many other Maxima owners with cars of about the same age and mileage as mine, indicating this is a manufacturing defect and not specific to my particular vehicle.

- Florissant, MO, USA

May 012012

Maxima

At approximately 58,000 my vehicle started slipping and jerking. It gets stuck and doesn't move or will move at very high speed. It is dangerous to drive. When diagnosed by two different mechanics I was told it is a manufacture problem. Contacted manufacture and reported the problem.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

May 222009

Maxima

After the dealer told me that my manual transmissions needed to be replaced at 60,000, and told me it wasn't under warranty, I went for a second opinion. A local transmission shop told me it wasn't may transmission but rather my clutch pedal bracket and that it was under warranty! I went to a second dealership and had it replaced under warranty. That lasted for about 20-30,000 miles when it started to feel as though I was moving a boulder while depressing my clutch. This past summer, when I was manually pulling the petal back from the floor, I had to replace my fly wheel and clutch because of the wear. My clutch bracket still needs to be replaced again! why is this such a widely known issue with the 2005 mt Maxima and nothing has been done?

- Massapequa, NY, USA