CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 14 of 23)

May 162012

Maxima

The car will jerk really hard switching from 1st and second gear. Sometimes the car will just rev when increasing speed and the car won't move! when U park the car and then go to shift it to drive it actually won't kick in for 7-10 seconds. The only reason I'm making a complaint about it is because I was searching online to see of other people had the same problem and there were literally thousands of complaints with the exact same problem and I don't think its right for me and all the others with the same problem to have to put 3000-3500 for a new transmission when clearly this should be a recall!

- Poughkeepsie, NY, USA

Aug 312012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission jerks in 2nd and 3rd shifts.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Aug 282012

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought this car less than a week ago. It's already beginning to jerk and clunk when shifting between 1st and second gear. Yesterday it began to rev and then jump back into gear whenever I tried to pull away from a stopped position. I took it back to the dealer and he paid $1700 + to have the transmission rebuilt because he felt bad for selling me a junk car!. but from what I'm hearing from other drivers with the same car a rebuild only helps for about 6 months or so then the car acts up again.... I'm in the U.S. marines and I need a reliable car to go home and check on my sick father every so often and this isn't seeming so reliable.

- Columbia, SC, USA

Jan 012011

Maxima

Transmissions jerks really hard then grinds while driving (taking off) until it eventually does it every time I try to drive it and is now parked due to it possibly causing an accident. The jerking started at 75,000 miles every now and then until it became consistent up to 127,000 miles then parked!

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 082011

Maxima 6-cyl

Erratic shifting, not safe to drive.

- Riverdale, NJ, USA

Jun 042012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle jerked forward abnormally. The failure recurred intermittently while driving at different speeds and while at a complete stop. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing or repairs. The approximate failure mileage was 105,000.

- Houston, TX, USA

Dec 102010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was traveling 35 mph when the vehicle stalled. The vehicle restarted but failed to accelerate. The vehicle was towed to the dealer who diagnose that the transmission needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure and current mileages was 62,000.

- Powell, OH, USA

Aug 202012

Maxima

My 2005 Nissan Maxima with serious transmission problems. 1. there is a major delay after the shift lever is put in drive 2. between 1st to 2nd gears the car clunks and jerks into gear causing the tires screech 3. after about one hour of driving and I come to a stop, the car will not to move or respond as it should. I can be at 3000 RPM at a stop sign and the car will just creep along until it builds up speed. If I don't let off of the gas after speed starts building up to 20 mph, it well club and jerk into gear almost causing the car will to turn out of control.

- Chester, SC, USA

Aug 032012

• 1,300,000 miles
I was stopped at a red light and when light turned green, I started forward, car moved and then just revved. Car behind me had to slam on brakes to avoid hitting me. Car was moving and then when it should have shifted, it froze. Was terrified to drive it after that.

- Vero Beach, FL, USA

Jul 012011

Maxima

The contact owns 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 2 mph when the engine exhibited a loud, abnormal noise and the vehicle refused to accelerate. The check engine light was also illuminated and the vehicle became hard to shift. The vehicle was inspected by a local mechanic who stated that failure was related to the valve body. The dealer was notified and suggested to have the transmission replaced.the manufacturer was made aware of failure and advised to have vehicle inspected by the dealer. The current mileage was 81,000. The failure mileage was 75,000.

- Chandler, TX, USA

Aug 092011

Maxima

The contact owns 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 25 mph when the vehicle began to jerk excessively. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who inspected the failure and advised that the transmission needed to be replaced. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000.

- Ashland , VA, USA

Mar 092012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 60 mph when the vehicle began to jerk and change gears independently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis. The transmission was flushed however the failure recurred. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure mileage was 155,000 and the current mileage was 160,000.

- Fleming, GA, USA

Jul 072012

Maxima

Car revs up on its own, also slips when accelerating I parked the car and gear would slam when shift from park to drive, reverse and whenever shifted told it is due to a bad body valve which is a very common problem for the 2004 thru 2006 Nissan Maxima and other Nissan models.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Jul 262012

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased my vehicle and the power train was fine. I started having problems when my vehicles shifts. It makes hard jerks when shifting and the rpms rev up uncontrollably. I got online to research for recalls and have yet found one but what I did find is numerous reports of the same exact problem I'm having. This is a very dangerous situation. I contacted Nissan Corp. To see why there is no recalls with so many people obviously having the same issue. I was told that NHTSA deals with all recalls. There is also a class action lawsuit coming together on this issue. I'm just trying to make it know that so many of us are having to pay thousands of dollars to have this issue with our transmissions corrected. This has got to be a defect in this certain year, make, and model. Please help with this situation before someone gets seriously injured or killed. I have three small children that ride in this vehicle. I worry everytime I drive with them that something terrible is going to happen. I feel Nissan should be completely responsible for this. Thank you for your time and consideration that it takes to look into situations like this. It is deeply appreciated.

- Braxton, MS, USA

Aug 072012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission slips, jerks and goes in and out of gear while driving. Shifts hard in the lower gears after it warms up, slips and engine reving during shifts, slamming hard when slowing down, and delays when placing in gear.

- Holbrook, NY, USA

Mar 072012

Maxima 6-cyl

When beginning to accelerate, transmission slipped. Issue worsened when accelerating or decelerating rapidly. Fluids changed regularly. Problem was intermittent at first. Has now become recurring. Upon review, it appears to be wide spread throughout the 2005 and 2006 year model with the aisin re5F22A 5 speed automatic transmission.

- Goodlettsville, TN, USA

Aug 012012

Maxima

Hello : I am having problems when I shift into and out of gear. There's a big clunk sound, it goes and comes. I love Nissan I had 3 in my life and this is my fourth and by far the worse one so far please recall this problem ppl don't have the time nor money to spend on a problem that should have been fixed.

- Windsor , CT, USA

Jul 312012

Maxima 6-cyl

Experienced hard jerky shifts while driving and when shifting between drive and reverse gears.

- Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

Jun 012009

Maxima

Transmission jerky and slipping despite being well maintained. Stalled in middle of intersection and other times making unsafe. Transmission replaced. 50,000 miles later, same exact problem. Transmission must be replaced. Unsafe car to drive. Must be defective design.

- Dalton, GA, USA

Jul 102012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated while driving 65 mph the vehicle jerked before stalling. The vehicle was taken to a local dealer where the dealer performed a diagnostic test and confirmed there was a faulty transmission that needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not drivable. The failure mileage was 134,000.

- Columbus, OH, USA