Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 22 of 23)

Jun 132011

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated while driving 50 to 60 mph the vehicle lunged forward and the gear would not shift into park or reverse. The vehicles gear shift was replaced but did not correct the failure. The vehicle was taken to the dealer who performed a diagnostic that located the failure in the transmission divided assembly trac. The dealer stated they were not sure if the transmission divided assembly trac was replaced that the failure would be corrected. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 92,000. Updated 08/31/2011

- Greenville , TN, USA

May 272011

When the vehicle is shifting from 1st to 2nd, it feels like I am being kicked in the back or rear ended. Was informed by one of the service managers at the dealership that the vehicle doesn't have a cooling system for the transmission and that I could get it replaced or repaired but down the line, the same thing is going to happen since there is no way to cool the transmission fluids.

- Concord, NC, USA

Jul 182008

The 2005 Maxima motors are known to have timing chains problems give a vehicle a bad rattle noise from the engine some vehicle do it with as low as 15000 miles then they try and charge almost 3000 to fix.

- Louisiana, LA, USA

Jan 012011

I have been having problems with my 2005 Nissan Maxima transmission jerking really bad around 20 mph when decreasing speed and at 15 mph when accelerating. I have called Nissan numerous times over the past 2 1/2 weeks. I just got a call back from them Monday stating that they could not do anything to help me because the transmission fluid was dark and burnt. I had just had the transmission fluid and filter changed a moth prior to that so know that was not the case. I have not taken my car to Nissan for maintenance because they are too high but have taken it in for service on a regular basis. I am asking for their help with the repairs but they have refused so far. I feel this is an ongoing problem with this model Maxima, and they should cover the cost!

- Archdale, NC, USA

Nov 012010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 30 to 50 mph, the vehicle would experience rough shifting when accelerating and decelerating. The contact also stated that the vehicle would intermittently surge forward while changing gears. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the transmission fluid was replaced yet the failure persisted. The vehicle was then taken to an independent repair shop where the contact was told that the transmission would need replacing. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 72,000 and the current mileage was 82,000.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact attempted to accelerate from a stop but the vehicle momentarily hesitated before shifting in gear. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the transmission was flushed. The failure continued to recur whenever the contact attempted to accelerate from a stop. The failure mileage was 60,000 and the current mileage was 114,332. Updated 06/17/11 updated 07/08/11

- Eufaula, AL, USA

Oct 012008

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated while attempting to shift into second or third gear, the gear engaged with violent force, and sometimes the gear will not shift into drive. The failure occurred when the vehicle was driven for over an hour. The vehicle was taken to the local transmission mechanic to be diagnosed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 36,000 and the current mileage was 97,000 miles.

- Maricopa , AZ, USA

Mar 012011

2005 Nissan Maxima. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transmission slipping and shaking especially when it is in first or second gear.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jun 012010

Driving normal, takes about 5 seconds to click into gear after the shift lever is put in "D" 2. very hard jerky shifts between 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 1st and accompanied by loud clunking noise. 3. transmission slips out of gear during regular driving allowing the engine to rev freely then jerking back into gear with a loud clunk, been in shop 2 times and still not fixed, replaced senor in tranny still jerks, happens daily.

- Wellington, AL, USA

Dec 242010

Transmission fails to get out of 5th gear and have to start forward movement in 5th gear instead of 1st gear. Hard shifts very solid bump. Transmission was replaced about a year ago and now this one is acting the same way.

- Hormigueros, PR, USA

Jun 012010

I bought my used car from a local Nissan dealership with aprx. 74000 miles on it in Feb 2010. Shortly after I started feeling the transmission shifting roughly in the lower gears. I took it in to a reputable repair shop in June 2010 and they could not find any kind of diagnostic codes in the computer for the transmission, but told me the engine mounts were broken and needed replacing. I replaced the engine mount and also had them flush and put in fresh transmission fluid at that time as well. Again very shortly after I started feeling the transmission shifting roughly and it progressively got worse and even started slipping intermittently!! I took my car back to the repair shop and they could not find any codes again. I did some research online and found that hundreds of 2004 and 2005 Nissan Maxima owners were having the same exact problems!!! I have searched for any recalls, but there are none!! I took the car back to the dealership were I bought it from and spoke with the service manager and he stated that he has dealt with this issue with owners of this make, model, and year!! I filed a complaint with Nissan and spoke with their Consumer Affairs dept, but the are not willing to help in any way. I believe, as well as hundreds of other owners, that Nissan knows about this defect, but is unwilling to issue a recall to the public!!! I think this is completely irresponsible and negligent on Nissan's behalf and has shattered my faith in their company.

- Katy, TX, USA

Dec 202010

This complaint follows along with the many that have been received by the NHTSA about the transmission problems on the Nissan Maxima. The transmission started jerking when shifting between 2nd and 3rd gear. It would also jerk when shifting from park to drive or reverse. Of course the answer is a 4,000 dollar repair for a new transmission, on a car with only 61,000 miles on it. The nature of this problem will only lead to a serious crash or accident in the future. Not sure why the NHTSA has not issued a recall on this yet, especially with all the complaints on their web site, not to mention the large number of complaints that can be found by searching on many other sites. I guess what they say is true, that it will take someone being hurt or killed before something is done. How sad!

- Muskego, WI, USA

Dec 012010

2005 Nissan Maxima. Consumer states shifting problem with cvt transmission

- Altus, OK, USA

Oct 162010

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 15 mph the vehicle surged forward while shifting gears. He also experienced hard shifting as the vehicle jerked forward. The failure recurred intermittently while driving approximately 15 mph. The vehicle was taken to an independent repair shop where he was informed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 82,000 and the current mileage was 84,000.

- Roselle, IL, USA

Mar 262010

My 2005 Nissan Maxima started to shift extremely hard. Not only that but in traffic it can be very scarey almost causing you to hit the vehicle in front of you or being almost hit in the rear because the transmission gets stuck and then shifts extremely hard. This vehicle is used to Transport my kids. I cannot afford to fix Nissan mistakes. Times are difficult financially right now. Nissan should be held accountable for there mistakes. They should not be allowed to sell vehicles that are not reliable. Please help us with this situation. It not only put my children in danger but it has taken a financial tow on my family. Nissan needs to fix this!!!

- Rome , GA, USA

Aug 282009

Maxima 6-cyl

Bought a 2005 Nissan Maxima, the car quit working in August 2009, I've taken it to 6 mechanics and it's still doing the same thing. The Nissan dealerships don't seem to have a solution to the problem just kept charging me more and more. The car jerks in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear, I've had the transmission replaced, motor mounts, catalytic convertor replaced and the car is still doing the same thing.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Oct 132010

Maxima 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Maxima. Consumer states problems with vehicle transmission the consumer stated while driving, the transmission began banging and slipping. The consumer took the vehicle to the dealer to have the vehicle inspected. It was determined the transmission needed to be replaced.

- Oak Ridge, TN, USA

Apr 102010

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchase a 2005 Nissan Maxima and now the transmission jerks which cause the car to accelerate from gear to gear. I have spoken to Nissan about this and they are aware of the problem but will not fix it. After reading more than a hundred complaints this is happening on a regular basis with models from 2004 to 2006 and I think Nissan needs to take responsibility for there product and recall the year models that affected by there faulty transmission system. Please look into this and hold Nissan accountable for there cars.

- Hiram, GA, USA

May 052010

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased an 2005 Nissan Maxima SE and have experiencing a jerking problem on the transmission. I feel extremely dangerous driving this car as it will not speed and accelerate and decelerate at a normal speed.

- Monterey Park, CA, USA

Jan 052009

Timing chain problem with 2005 Nissan Maxima. After having my transmission replaced (different complaint), the dealer told me that there was a known problem with the timing chain guides breaking and that my timing chain and corresponding parts needed to be replaced for $1600. I thought this was a problem because my car is not old and should not need this repair. I did research on the internet and found hundreds of cases with the same defect in Nissan Maxima's. I would like my complaint heard and a possible recall done if possible. This is clearly a Nissan defect and problem and not normal wear and tear on the car.

- Yorba Linda, CA, USA