CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 23)

Jun 042015

Maxima

Valve body had to be replaced in transmission

- Bakersfield, CA, USA

Jan 062015

Maxima

Transmission slippage in the lowest gears. When the car warms up after a 10 mile drive it starts slipping. When I try to stop at a traffic light or when I try to accelerate from a complete stop the car jerks off in the lower gears. I came to know online that this is a common issue across Nissan. I would appreciate any helpful steps in fixing the issue. My current value is around $5000 I hate to spend nearly $3500 for a new transmission on the vehicle. I'm sure my car will run for another 30 - 40,000 miles if this is fixed.

- Levittown, PA, USA

Apr 022015

Maxima

I recently have been driving this 2005 Nissan Maxima for a couple of months. It has close to 90K miles on it and the transmission is hard to shift and not being cooperative on most days. This seems to be more than a fluid problem and due to recent research I may need a new transmission for $3,000 and I don't have that type of money. I see that this is a common problem with this specific car and feel a recall should be issued on the 04-06 models of this automobile!! other than that the car runs great.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Apr 232015

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission quit working, was stopped at a burger king and when I tried to drive off the car would not move, had it towed and shop says the transmission is bad, the shop did homework and found out that the transmission was replaced a little more then a year ago by North point Nissan in North little rock, they say there was only a year warranty on it and time is already up so there is nothing they can do. Nissan is aware of this problem and the Nissan tech said get ready to save up for another one because they can replace it and a year later it will go out again. They say the transmissions are crap!

- Hot Springs, AR, USA

Apr 152015

Maxima

Was at a stop light then when I proceeded to go my cat jerked really hard going in to the next gear at about 20mph. When I went to slow down, the car jerked down going into the lower gear at around 20 mph. Then I noticed ever since when I put my cat in gear from park it jerks really hard.

- Alliance, OH, USA

Apr 212015

Maxima 6-cyl

Ongoing issue with 5 sp automatic transmission: Started, intermittently around 2 years back @86K, and has increased to the point of not pulling into D or R without jumping or surging into gear, often nightmarish in tight quarters/parking, etc. Becoming dangerous as slipping at higher rps has become more prevalent of late, especially lower speed, light incline and increasing speeds. There are tsb's on this vehicle and have a case open with nissanamerica, as of today's date 4/21/2015. Dealer has, at this point seems purposely?, misdiagnosing and non-acknowledgement of existing and known issues with the AW5550/51sn automatic transmission slippage and jumping/surging. It is a known issue with solenoids; do your research, there is plenty online in regards to this issue. The representative I spoke with today at Nissan will listen, but is advised to not answer questions in regards to this issue, and with good reason..I know it is an older car, but is in great shape (bought used), there is a known defect, a known fix from the actual technical service bulletin:: 2004 - 2006 Maxima; 5-speed A/T shift issues technical service bulletin reference number(s): Ntb11-035, date of issue: April 7, 2011 Nissan: 2004 - 2006 Maxima classification: AT11-003 applied vehicles: 2004 - 2006 Maxima (A34) applied transmission: Re5F22A 5-speed A/T if you confirm note: Harsh 1-2 and/or 3-4 upshifts during moderate acceleration from a stop and/or harsh 4-3 and/or 2-1 downshifts when slowing to a stop. Action go to the repair flow chart for repair procedure. Refer to page 4 and 5 for location of A/T assembly serial number and valve body connector locations.

- Merrimack , NH, USA

Jan 012015

Maxima 6-cyl

Car jerks/jolts/slams into drive or reverse, when driving around 25 mph & take my foot of the accelerator the car starts to jerk, when I start to speed up after slowing down the RPM's go crazy high & the motor feels like it's being forced to speed up but it won't & after a few seconds it will slam into gear & begin to speed up which is pretty scary.

- Kingston , NY, USA

Feb 122014

Maxima

After warming up (most of the time), when you stop & start to go it's like it stalls will also shift hard. Rim gage will go up to 5 then after you get it to finally go thru the changing gears it runs fine. Mostly starting & stopping.

- Nettleton, MS, USA

Mar 262015

Maxima 6-cyl

Today is March 26, 2015 and for the past week; my car has been stalling when I am shifting gears. Today I was in a not safe situation at a red light. When I shifted the gears to my car to begin driving, the car stalled on me allowing me to only drive around 5-10 mph down the street. I had to hurry up and pull over because I had cars behind me.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 252015

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the automatic transmission switched gears caused the vehicle to stall. In addition, the vehicle would accelerate and decelerate independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Whitewater, WI, USA

Feb 272015

Maxima 6-cyl

Having trouble/delayed shifting. It went away for a week but it came back again. When I'm pressing on the gas it sounds like it's revving the engine but the car is not moving as it should.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission takes about 1-2 seconds to move and then jerks forward. This usually happens when warmed up. Sometimes when car is moving it jerks while shifting gears.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Mar 172015

Maxima

The car jerks when transmission is switched to reverse, and takes a good 3 seconds to actually switch to reverse. This seems to be an extremely common problem to these cars, and it is definitely a dangerous one.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Feb 072015

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle started to jerk and then stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and it was determined that the motor mounts, crank position sensor, and the timing chain needed to be replaced. The dealer stated that the vehicle may still need a new transmission, but these repairs should be done first. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Jun 142012

Maxima

My 2005 Maxima transmission is jerking when switching gears and also slippage. At first I thought it was the mounts because one was bad but after replacing them the problem still was still there. Later I found out it was just the transmission. I looked online and found a number of people was having the same problem and there still have not been a recall. This will be my last Nissan.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 062014

Maxima

The contact owns 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the transmission would make an abnormal noise when shifting into gear. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Mar 132012

Maxima

We purchased our 2005 Maxima used with approximately 93000 miles on it, at first seemed like a great car. The car started shifting very hard into and out of gears, some shifts would be so hard the car would lurch forward. I was actually driving the car when the transmission actually broke, making the car very hard to steer, fortunately I was able to get to a local garage. We paid over 3000 to have the transmission replaced, since I purchased the transmission from advance auto, the Nissan dealership said that would not offer any type of warranty even on their labor. I had a 12 month warranty on the transmission and at about 13 months the transmission broke again, with less than 1,000 miles put on the "used" transmission. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and was pretty much told that it was my problem. So I now have a useless car that I am still paying on, and I am not willing to pay another 3000 to fix Nissan's problem.

- Wytheville, VA, USA

Apr 162014

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased my 05 Maxima in April of 2014 and immediately after driving it home a hard shift into 3rd and into 4th happened. I put the car in park, my mechanic friend was with me he had me put the care in drive and it slammed into gear. I contacted a mechanic that worked on transmission and found out it was the valve body defect that was never recalled and a major problem in that model. I purchased a used/new valve body from a transmission shop, it lasted a few months went bad as in jumping out of gear, staying stuck in 5th or 3rd, putting it in park and trying to shift to drive and it not going into gear. I returned the part got another used valve body and it only lasted a few weeks. Now I am having to purchase a new valve body from Nissan hoping this will fix it. After reading many forums of the same issue, no longer able to bypass the issue and wishing Nissan would acknowledge the problem I am stuck with being almost 2000 out of pocket on what seemed to be a good deal.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Aug 032014

Maxima

I have had my 2005 Nissan Maxima for about 5 months now. For the past three months it's has been extremely hazardous. It turns off while I'm driving it and I lose all power power steering, brakes, etc. I almost drove into the river yesterday because it shut off going around a turn and I was almost rear ended. My car starts acting up after it warms up about 5 minutes after start. It will shift very hard and is fine once it is past 3rd gear but it takes a while to get to third when it starts to mess up the rpms will go up to 4 and 5 through 1st and 2nd gear. When you're going downhill it will downshift like you slammed on the brakes. Also if you switch over to manual it will say you're in 5th gear and really you're in 1st. The service engine diagnosis reads a code for the cam shaft sensors. I have changed both of them bank 1 and bank 2 and it did not fix anything. Nissan has failed to do anything and it's happening to a ton of cars. If I'm on the highway and my car shuts off, it not going to be a good situation. If you take it to Nissan they try to get you to buy a new transmission. I have a two year old and the jerking of the car or anything for that matter is not safe for her or anyone else on the road. Thank you for taking your time to review this, I appreciate it.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Jan 162015

Maxima

Transmission hard shifting and slipping.

- Garland, TX, USA