Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 23)

Feb 122014

After warming up (most of the time), when you stop & start to go it's like it stalls will also shift hard. Rim gage will go up to 5 then after you get it to finally go thru the changing gears it runs fine. Mostly starting & stopping.

- Nettleton, MS, USA

Mar 262015

Maxima 6-cyl

Today is March 26, 2015 and for the past week; my car has been stalling when I am shifting gears. Today I was in a not safe situation at a red light. When I shifted the gears to my car to begin driving, the car stalled on me allowing me to only drive around 5-10 mph down the street. I had to hurry up and pull over because I had cars behind me.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Mar 252015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the automatic transmission switched gears caused the vehicle to stall. In addition, the vehicle would accelerate and decelerate independently. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Whitewater, WI, USA

Feb 272015

Maxima 6-cyl

Having trouble/delayed shifting. It went away for a week but it came back again. When I'm pressing on the gas it sounds like it's revving the engine but the car is not moving as it should.

- Rancho Cordova, CA, USA

Feb 022015

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission takes about 1-2 seconds to move and then jerks forward. This usually happens when warmed up. Sometimes when car is moving it jerks while shifting gears.

- Southfield, MI, USA

Mar 172015

The car jerks when transmission is switched to reverse, and takes a good 3 seconds to actually switch to reverse. This seems to be an extremely common problem to these cars, and it is definitely a dangerous one.

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Feb 072015

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. While driving at an unknown speed, the vehicle started to jerk and then stalled. The vehicle was taken to the dealer and it was determined that the motor mounts, crank position sensor, and the timing chain needed to be replaced. The dealer stated that the vehicle may still need a new transmission, but these repairs should be done first. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 55,000.

- Gretna, LA, USA

Jun 142012

My 2005 Maxima transmission is jerking when switching gears and also slippage. At first I thought it was the mounts because one was bad but after replacing them the problem still was still there. Later I found out it was just the transmission. I looked online and found a number of people was having the same problem and there still have not been a recall. This will be my last Nissan.

- Norfolk, VA, USA

Nov 062014

The contact owns 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving at approximately 20 mph, the transmission would make an abnormal noise when shifting into gear. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 97,000.

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Mar 132012

We purchased our 2005 Maxima used with approximately 93000 miles on it, at first seemed like a great car. The car started shifting very hard into and out of gears, some shifts would be so hard the car would lurch forward. I was actually driving the car when the transmission actually broke, making the car very hard to steer, fortunately I was able to get to a local garage. We paid over 3000 to have the transmission replaced, since I purchased the transmission from advance auto, the Nissan dealership said that would not offer any type of warranty even on their labor. I had a 12 month warranty on the transmission and at about 13 months the transmission broke again, with less than 1,000 miles put on the "used" transmission. I contacted Nissan Consumer Affairs and was pretty much told that it was my problem. So I now have a useless car that I am still paying on, and I am not willing to pay another 3000 to fix Nissan's problem.

- Wytheville, VA, USA

Apr 162014

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased my 05 Maxima in April of 2014 and immediately after driving it home a hard shift into 3rd and into 4th happened. I put the car in park, my mechanic friend was with me he had me put the care in drive and it slammed into gear. I contacted a mechanic that worked on transmission and found out it was the valve body defect that was never recalled and a major problem in that model. I purchased a used/new valve body from a transmission shop, it lasted a few months went bad as in jumping out of gear, staying stuck in 5th or 3rd, putting it in park and trying to shift to drive and it not going into gear. I returned the part got another used valve body and it only lasted a few weeks. Now I am having to purchase a new valve body from Nissan hoping this will fix it. After reading many forums of the same issue, no longer able to bypass the issue and wishing Nissan would acknowledge the problem I am stuck with being almost 2000 out of pocket on what seemed to be a good deal.

- Indian Trail, NC, USA

Aug 032014

I have had my 2005 Nissan Maxima for about 5 months now. For the past three months it's has been extremely hazardous. It turns off while I'm driving it and I lose all power power steering, brakes, etc. I almost drove into the river yesterday because it shut off going around a turn and I was almost rear ended. My car starts acting up after it warms up about 5 minutes after start. It will shift very hard and is fine once it is past 3rd gear but it takes a while to get to third when it starts to mess up the rpms will go up to 4 and 5 through 1st and 2nd gear. When you're going downhill it will downshift like you slammed on the brakes. Also if you switch over to manual it will say you're in 5th gear and really you're in 1st. The service engine diagnosis reads a code for the cam shaft sensors. I have changed both of them bank 1 and bank 2 and it did not fix anything. Nissan has failed to do anything and it's happening to a ton of cars. If I'm on the highway and my car shuts off, it not going to be a good situation. If you take it to Nissan they try to get you to buy a new transmission. I have a two year old and the jerking of the car or anything for that matter is not safe for her or anyone else on the road. Thank you for taking your time to review this, I appreciate it.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Jan 162015

Transmission hard shifting and slipping.

- Garland, TX, USA

Dec 312014

Maxima 6-cyl

Bought car used from Nissan dealer. Good service records with regular on time transmission services. Day after I drive it off the lot it starts violently jerking into gear and in the middle of gear. Randomly drops in and out of gear, jerks out of nowhere. Has jerked so hard my neck and upper body were somewhat sore the next morning. Dangerous to drive in close traffic as it could easily jerk violently enough to make me jerk the wheel, accidentally slide foot down onto the gas or brake, etc. This transmission and car was well cared for all of its 107K miles and I have solid repair history paperwork to prove it. This is a dangerous, potentially deadly transmission in these cars. I have a quote for a $3500 quote to have it repaired by a shop. This less than two weeks of owning the car. I am completely disgusted.

- Bigfork, MT, USA

Jun 102014

When I brought my car after 2-3 months I had transmission problems, I took it to the Nissan dealership to get it fix. After, a couple of weeks I still was having problems with the car, I took it back they said, it wasn't nothing wrong with it. Then my air condition went out, it was my air compressor took it in to the Nissan dealership to get it fix, after, a week or two it went out again took it back to the dealership to get it looked at I was told it needed a part ( some type of clip ). June 10, 2014 my car was on fire in my garage while I was sleeping. When I woke up that morning my headlights were flashing off and on. When I open the door my window was full of sut and my windshield was cracked. When I open the car door on the driver side the dash board and under the dashboard was melted, the odometer and the fuse box (everything on the driver side was melted ).you can smelled the smoke, that it was on fire. The fire department was called out just in case it sparked back up. Under the hood was not damage. I have pictures of damages. They had to push the car out of the garage it wouldn't go into gear. The results was it started from the fuse box. My car was totaled out by my insurance adjuster. I feel this matter need to be looked into and something need to be done about this situation. This is a serious situation that need to be looked into before it happen to someone else.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Dec 152014

Bought the car used in 2013 with 120,000 miles on it. The car has overheated several times since we bought it, but we were able to control it and keep it from causing any issues. Suddenly, when I was shifting from park to reverse the car jerked extremely hard, while driving the car hesitates to accelerate, and has a high RPM reading when shifting gears. After researching this issue, I have come across no fewer than 30 complaints of the same problems with this make/model/year.

- Whitmire, SC, USA

Nov 112014

I bought the car in June 2014 and it was fine for the first few days. All of the sudden it would jerk when shifting into drive and while shifting from 1st to 2nd. I tried to get the dealership to help and they wouldn't do anything because I couldn't get a hold of them until 30 days after I bought it. One day I was with my mother and we were driving. It the middle of driving, the car jerked and skidded. We almost lost control of the car. I have a family and I couldn't bare it if anything happened to them. This is a huge safety issue and it really needs to be investigated. The car has already done it dangerously another time since then. Nissan needs to take responsibility and not put the lives of people in danger.

- San Antonio, TX, USA

Dec 172012

Heavy shifting, not shifting on point, slipping transmission, bang when shifting or downshifting.

- Fitzpatrick, AL, USA

Dec 012013

- Revere, MA, USA

Nov 182014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission keeps slamming hard into gear.

- Gastonia, NC, USA