CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2005 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 6 of 23)

Mar 282014

Maxima

I am having a transmission issue that cant seem to be figured out. I am experiencing a hard jerk when I shift gears from 1st-2nd gear. It wont happen for days but all of a sudden it will comeback. For some reason no one can tell me what's wrong but there seems to be lots of reports and complaints about the problem on 2004-early 2005 model Nissan Maximas. I love the car but Nissan needs to be made aware of this issue.

- Austin, TX, USA

Mar 212014

Maxima

I purchased my 2005 Nissan Maxima in December 2012 - and drove it smoothly and peacefully for about 6 months. Once the mileage hit about 89,000 miles the transmission began slipping and within a few days the violently hard shifting began, stalling between park and reverse and reverse into drive. One time it shifted so hard, the check engine light came on and it seemed as though I had no first gear. I wanted this particular car so bad - and am now so disappointed in Nissan -a company and car that at one time I valued so much. What a let down. I am afraid to drive my car that I still owe 10K on - wow.

- Woodstock, GA, USA

Oct 072013

Maxima

The car jerks into gear when accelerating from a light. After accelerating from a stop at 3000 RPM, the car bucks and jerks into gear. The engine revs before the transmission catches gears. When the engine is warm, after about 30 minutes, when changing from drive to reverse or park, the transmission hesitates and jerks very hard into gear.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Aug 052013

Maxima

I have had my 2005 Nissan Maxima for 7 months and since I have purchased this car I have noticed jerking. When I put the car in drive it hesitates for 3-5 seconds then it jerks. When it shifts from 1st to 2nd gear it jerks. When it down shifts from 2nd to 1st it jerks. When driving in stop and go traffic sometimes it doesn't respond when pressing the gas pedal, it hesitates for about 3 seconds and then jerks really hard then takes off. Please do something about this issue. I have taken the car to different shops to get it worked on but when they tell me it will cost $3000 for a transmission repair I have gone back to pick up my car because I can't afford the prices.

- Canal Winchester, OH, USA

Feb 282014

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission problems. The car has a hard jerk when putting into gear. Sometimes while driving there is a delay in the shift change causing the vehicle to idle hard.

- Halifax, VA, USA

Feb 262014

Maxima 6-cyl

Severe transmission problems! 1. when slowing down around a turn, upon accelerating, there was a hard knock. Almost felt as if I had gotten rear ended. 2. when slowing down to a stop, shifting from 3 to 2 was also very hard 3. sometime when slowing down, I would put the transmission in neutral to avoid #2 above. When I would put transmission back into drive, the car would shift hard from first to second and then to third. 4. when coasting downhill, it would intermittently feel as if I was applying the brakes.

- Shrewsbury, MA, USA

Oct 202012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission failure. Was replaced at my expense for $3000 dollars and now March 9, 2014 it has failed again. I suspect a factory defect. I am told that this is a common issue and recurs often with this model. Dealership or Nissan must replace at their own expense. Internet is full of personal testimony by thousands for the same problem. Nissan must accept responsibility and issue a recall.

- Birmingham, AL, USA

May 262011

Maxima 6-cyl

My car began jerking violently when shifting into 1st and 2nd, just as bad or worse when downshifting it would literally jump around in traffic. I had to drive it this way until it broke completely or I saved the 2000 to repair the valve body. Luckily I came up with this money before I was stranded. It was very nerve racking every time I drove because it would jerk and jump making me think I was going to hit someone or at times it felt like I'd been hit from behind when it slammed it 1st on downshifting. I was told by my dealer to trade it in, it was an issue with all these model cars. Also every transmission shop in my town that I contacted knew exactly the problem because they had seen it so many times and had a fleet of them already at their shop to repair. Then was told by Nissan corporate that it was not a safety issue, so no recall. So this has cost so many people their time and money only to generate more profit for Nissan. These bad valve bodies that they knowingly put in these models which are expensive and dangerous had to be purchased from Nissan!!! this is so wrong on so many levels. I love my car otherwise but it infuriates me that Nissan will not own up to what they did wrong!!! and are making more money off the people who trusted them and their products.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Sep 102013

Maxima 6-cyl

Not long ago my Nissan has started to have shifting issues, when I put the car into drive or reverse it take a few seconds then it jerks into gear which is wearing out the motor mounts. I have tried changing camshaft sensors which has helped some other people but didn't not fix my problem. Now the car takes off while im driving ! when accelerating from a light the rpms will jump to 6K and the car will grab a gear and take off which has been vary uncomfortable to drive lately be cause I am afraid it will Ram me into a car infront of me. I really like my car inside and out but this shifting problem is killing me and I don't have $4K to have a new transmission installed, I have no other cars so I have no other choice but to drive it to where I need to go. I haven't even had the car for more than a few months so I am trapped making payments on it even if I cant drive it.I have read on many different forums about people having the same problems and haven't found a way to fix it, with as many reviews of people having problems with their Maxima the transmission should be recalled and replaced free of charge.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Feb 152012

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima has severe transmission problems. The gears jerk very hard and slips. I've had the transmission fluid changed, nothing has helped.

- Chickasaw, AL, USA

Dec 022008

Maxima 6-cyl

I live in Washington state. I bought my 2005 Maxima SE in Feb 24 2007 with 48,000 miles on it. When it reach 98,000 miles (mostly highway miles), my automatic transmission began displaying shifting problems. 1.from park and/or reverse to drive it had a 5 second delay to shift into gear, and when it did it shifted hard. 2.transmission slipped out of gear during slow and go driving causing the engine to rev at high RPM"S and then slamming into gear. 3.very hard shifts between 1st and 2nd gear when shifting up and down at speeds of 15 to 25 mph. 4.once it slipped out of gear, and shut my engine down. During slow and go driving I could feel the transmission begin to shift AT15 mph, and get a hard shift at about 20 and 25 mph. It shifted hard back and forth between high and low gears. I also, experienced lag time, and high RPM"S before it slammed into gears when shifting. Every transmission place I went to wanted $3500 to $4000 to replace it. As an alternative, I bought a used automatic transmission with 62,000 miles in Dec 15 2008, and had it installed for $2000. After 150,000 miles (mostly highway miles) on the replacement transmission I began to experience identical problems as described above. I?ve had the cam sensors, solenoids, and fluids replaced and it still response the same way. I find it odd of 2 different transmissions that acting the same way. Also, ever since I got this car I have to replace the headlights ever year. Not good for a car that cost $40,000 new from a company that used to have a good reputation.

- Kennewick, WA, USA

Jan 012014

Maxima

When turning in burger king drive thru turning the vehicle the drive shaft something in it broke and the wheels wouldn't turn. We would turn the steering wheel snd it wou ld just sound like popping sound. If I would have been driving down the highway it could have killed me.

- Darien , GA, USA

Jul 242013

Maxima 6-cyl

My car started jerking all of a sudden. I, took it to transmission shop and was told that it was my transmission going bad. I was told that it will cost me $3,000 or more to repair. I had only had the car for a year. I didn't realize this is an going issue until I started researching further into the history for the male and model of this car. Nissan needs to step up and own up to their defective cars.

- Jackson, MS, USA

Dec 192013

Maxima 6-cyl

2005 Nissan Maxima SE, transmission problems. Sometimes shifts violently, when in reverse & jumps from 2 to 3 gear, almost like being rear ended, also revs up to 5 or 6 RPM on the tact without foot on pedal, and looses power. I took it to a Nissan dealer who told me I needed a new transmission for $4000 and because of the shifting the motor mounts also need replaced. One time the car will drive fine then the next all the problems are back. I have looked on several Nissan web sites for complaints on this car, there are hundreds of people with the exact 2005 Nissan Maxima SE transmission problem, why Nissan does not look into a recall on this car is unbelievable. There is no way several hundreds of people can be having the very same problem and it not being because of the car. This defect in this car is extremely dangerous. Please look into this before someone gets seriously hurt or killed. Look for yourself and see how many people are demanding Nissan recall the 2005 Nissan Maxima SE.

- Nevada, MO, USA

Dec 022013

Maxima 6-cyl

-accelerating car jerks bad between 1st & 2nd gear. -slowing down, car kicks & jerks when down shifting -putting the car from park to drive it hesitates a few seconds -transmission slips out of gear causing the RPM to jump up to 3-5K seems to be a widespread issue with this model Nissan Maxima. I visit to the dealer resulted in being told that I need a new transmission.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Oct 202008

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2005 Nissan Maxima started showing signs of what may be serious transmission problems, mainly after vehicle is warmed up transmission has a harsh shift, and hard jerking that would start in 1st gear going into 2nd gear, this happened around 80,000 miles.I took it to the dealership but for whatever reason they couldn't find anything wrong with the car, at currently 148,000 miles car still has exact the same issue..car does runs great on highway only.I've seen I am not the only one having this type of issue Maxima is a nice car but having to deal with transmission problems not so..specially since it cost from 3,000 to 4,000 brand new hopefully there's some type of recall so they can helps us out here and get the problem solved.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Sep 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

The transmission slips and jerks the car when up and downshifting between first and second gear. The car has had strong jerks when going from park or reverse to drive as well. This is a major safety concern and should be a recall with the number of complaints over the same issue.

- Madison, WI, USA

Dec 122012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle hard shifted from first to second gear without warning. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer for diagnostic testing. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000 and the current mileage was 100,000.

- Freehold Township, NJ, USA

Nov 012013

Maxima

2005 Nissan Maxima. Consumer writes in regards to vehicle transmission defects. The consumer stated several months ago, he felt some minor jerking when shifting gears. Recently, the jerking became stronger and more frequent, even happening when the vehicle was in motion. Upon having the vehicle inspected, the consumer was informed the transmission needed to be replaced. The consumer was informed to take the vehicle to a Nissan dealer, where the same problem was diagnosed, along with some other issues that were probably related to the transmission defect such as a timing problem.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Oct 242012

Maxima

Car began jerking and skipping. Lost all control and car completely stalled out in the middle of 5 lane traffic. Repairs were made and car has begun jerking again.

- Aberdeen, MS, USA