CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

9.1

$3,174.00

1. recall the transmissions for ongoing problems, jerking (41 reports)
  2. replace transmission (19 reports)
  4. replace valve body (7 reports)
2005 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jan 262017

Maxima S V6

RPMs racing while driving. Car jerks periodically, delay from when car is put in Drive or Reverse. Is my Nissan Maxima unsafe to drive. Failing with only 113,000 miles. 2nd maxima I've owned. Nissan, stand behind your car, recall & fix this obvious manufacturer's defect.

- , Enfield, CT, USA

May 172013

Maxima ES 3.5L

Our transmission went out at a very inconvenient time. We had to borrow the money to have it repaired. We talked to a Nissan dealership here in Goodyear Arizona was told the transmission was not covered on our 2005 Nissan. We took our car to a transmission shop and was told we had to completely rebuild the transmission. The cost was $3,755.82. We were very upset that Nissan did not back the transmission when they were aware of problems with the transmissions.

- , Goodyear, AZ, USA

Oct 012011

Maxima SE

My transmission just failed for the second time since this incident (this time not under warranty). I've regularly serviced/ flushed the transmission. Everywhere I've read sounds like everyone else is having the same exact issue with the same exact make/ model vehicle. Nissan must do something about this! They are ripping off their customers by selling them an expensive car that is guaranteed to need very expensive repairs! They should be ashamed of themselves!!

- , Upper Marlboro, MD, US

Jul 052013

Maxima SE 3.6L

When I would shift it would bang , but then it would drive fine ,And when it idles it would go rev between 1000 and 2000 rpm Once you drive it like it heats up. It won't do it , like it will do it if you are shifting when you are first starting the car. I am having issues getting it inspected now and I cannot afford the cost of the transmission repair. I read that there was a recall and figured since it is a manufacturer issue that I could get assistance.

- , Dunlevy, PA, USA

Sep 142016

Maxima LX 3.5L V6

My vehicle is only driven by me, a 65 year old senior citizen. I purchased the vehicle new in 2005 and only drive it to work and for occasional shopping. I have spent over $7000 in 2016 for repairs that include: the brakes, the air conditioner, various leaking fluids and $1800 to replace the timing chain in Feb. of 2016.

On Sept. 14th, I had to take my Maxima to a transmission specialist because of jerking, stalling and the "check engine" light on the dash. The transmission company took 5 days to rebuild the transmission and charged me $3800 for the repairs. My car is only valued at $3500 but I can not afford to replace it.

I am so disappointed with this car and would not recommend it to no one. This vehicle has been a major expense for me, unfortunately I can not afford to purchase a new one because I put too much money into this lemon. Nissan should be forced to recall this vehicle and reimburse owners for all the expensive repairs required before the car even has 100,000 miles.

I will NEVER purchase another Nissan and would recommend family and friends do the same.

- , Memphis, TN, USA

Jul 132016

Maxima SE 3.2L V6

Transmission does not appear to be shifting to 1st gear. When starting from a complete stop, the engine revs to 3000 RPM and the car has very little acceleration.

- , League City, TX, USA

May 052016

Maxima SE 3.5L

It is very frustrating,uncomfortable and annoying experienced. I really maintained my car but after this problem occurred I kinda lost interest buying a Nissan. Who would want a car that used to be smooth and now these sudden stops or jerking once you press the brake. Not only that but it also hesitates and has sudden acceleration when the gas is pressed at minimal. It can still take you anywhere, but scared of driving it a lot. I know the fact that it will cost me a lot and don't know what to do. In my honest opinion, This should be part or considered as Nissan's major Recall. I'm not happy!!!

- , Mississauga, ON, Canada

Mar 012016

Maxima S.E 3.5

NISSAN SHOULD BE CLOSED. THEY ARE BASICALLY SCREWING PEOPLE OUT MONEY. THEY ARE SELLING THESE PIECE OF SH*T CARS TO PEOPLE AND NOT EVEN DOING ANYTHING ABOUT. I HOPE THAT THE PEOPLE OF NISSAN ONE DAYS GETS A CAR LIKE THIS AND HAVE TO DEAL WITH THE ISSUE SO THEY CAN SEE WHAT WE ARE DEALING WITH AND THEN MAYBE THEY WILL TAKE SOME ACTION CAUSE THEY WILL NOW SEE WHAT ITS LIKE. IT SUCKS CAUSE I JUST BOUGHT THIS CAR I LOVE THE CAR TO DEATH ITS BY FAR ONE OF MY FAVORITE CARS BUT THE TRANNY IS MESSED UP IT IS SO FREAKING AWFUL HOPE THOSE BITCHES GET WHAT IS COMING FOR THEM.

- , Lewisville, TX, USA

May 292015

Maxima 3.5L

5/29/15

I took my 2005 Nissan maxima in to IPAC(Ingram Park Nissan) in San Antonio tx because the transmission was jerking and also making a very loud noise going into reverse and neural and also drive. My check engine light was also on and traction control light and slip light c ame on and off light is was on. The Service advisor called me a few days later and states I need a new transmission and motor mounts and transmission mounts and cam crank sensor's total bill of $5,586 dollars. I asked the service tech if he knew of any transmission issue with this model, he said no. I called there customer service for help and they said to trade car in for a new one and also refused to work with me on my car....I will never buy another Nissan car and I tell others not to buy them as well.....

- , San Antonio, TX, USA

Sep 302011

Maxima ES

• CVT transmission

I think it's sad that Nissan can get away with this...I guess we will get their attention when someone is seriously hurt...sad to say.....

This is criminal and everyone with this model has the same problem...so where is the Recall

- , Cincinnati, OH, USA

Feb 012015

Maxima SE 3.5L

• CVT transmission

The transmission is sticking when you stop and go, this is common if you live in a small town like I do and there is a stop sign at every corner. It gets hung-up so bad that you can't control the vehicle when it releases into next gear. I am afraid something bad might happen one day to me or someone in front of my vehicle. It is a comfortable ride, can't travel out of town because jerks too bad. Captured in your own car, not able to go anywhere with a paid car.

I really think with all the complaint Nissan is having they would try to do something for its customers who still have their vehicles and represent their brand and for the safety to their customers. Is something going to be done for us or not? I hate to get rid of my car but if the company won't help then I am forced to leave Nissan and go elsewhere, unfortunately. I really hope this account and complaint will help me and everyone who owns a 2005 Nissan Maxima.

- , Sanford, NC, US

Jan 312016

Maxima

It's a shame that issues like this are happening to a 11 year old car and Nissan isn't acknowledging the issue.

- , Norfolk, VA, USA

May 012013

Maxima SL

Got the car from Nissan dealership and two month later transmission started skipping and jerking. Took it back but they were rude and did not want to help.

- , Alexandria, VA, USA

May 152015

Maxima HZ 3.5L

TRANSMISSION FAILURE, THEY SAID MOUNTS ARE BROKEN, NEED NEW TRANSMISSION AND MOUNTS?? CAR JERKS, RPM'S INCREASE, SINGLE MOTHER OF 4 CAN NOT AFFORD THIS. I HAVE MAINTAINED ALL MAINTENANCE AND NOW I HAVE THIS PROBLEM, THEY WILL NOT ACKNOWLEDGE NISSAN FAULT, ASKING I PAY FOR IT IN FULL.

- , Santa Barbara, USA

May 042015

Maxima ZE 3.5L

• CVT transmission

By the millage you can tell is not an over used car. It must be a Nissan design or defective parts used on the transmission assembly.

- , Caguas, Puerto Rico

Mar 062013

Maxima

This transmission is an ongoing problem, causing vehicle to jerk tremendously when shifting. The engine revs up before transmission shifts into gear causing almost neck jerking force.

- , Gadsden, USA

Jan 272015

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

By now Nissan USA should have offered to fix this problem years ago. I had this annoying problem for a few years which got worse when I moved to Florida. Gear slipping, slamming, jerking and plain not going into reverse gear sometime. I had it checked by a few Nissan dealerships both in Virginia and in Florida. Nobody was ready to explain why this was happening. They all suggested I replace the transmission for an average price of $4000.Nobody at any of the dealerships "knew anything" about "this" problem.

I finally got a valve body replacement done by Level 10 Products in New Jersey. That was 5000 miles back. I have not had a problem with my transmission since then. If Level 10 Products in Hardyston, NJ can figure out and fix a lot of bad Nissan Maxima transmissions, why is Nissan USA still not accepting this responsibility.

Thanks Pat Barret and your excellent team at Level 10 Products.

- , Altamonte Springs, FL, US

Aug 302013

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I have owned 2 Maximas prior to this purchase & loved them both. I still own & drive the 1999 Maxima & have had very few problems with it. It runs better than the 2005 Maxima. I thought I was getting a great deal when I bought the 2005 for $8500.00 on 8/30/13 with 98,330 miles showing. Immediately after purchase, I noted transmission problems, shifting down while going uphill, hard shifting, clunking noises when shifting, hard shifting when de-accelerating downhill, not going into gear when shifting from reverse into drive, causing me to roll backwards on a hill. These problems continued & worsened until I took it to a Nissan repair shop one month later & they replaced the transmission( twice because the first one that was shipped did not shift smoothly into 2nd gear) & also replaced the solenoid & the throttle body. Since then, I have had other frequent repairs of this car, less expensive, but very annoying, and would not buy another one again, because the quality has so drastically declined. Even the inside trim pulls right off on the door threshold & is plastic instead of metal. So sad that Nissan has really let their quality decline so much since they shifted their production to Smyrna. The car that came from Japan has really given me far fewer problems & no transmission issues, with now 180,000 miles on it. I hate that I will next be looking @ other companies to find the quality I once loved with Nissan.

- , Kingsport, TN, USA

Aug 272014

Maxima SL 3.5L

i had this car from 2005 aug as first owner. first time i had this problem in 2011 april and dealer didnt take any action only said this car have no warranty left so i rebuilt the transmission from berkeley transmission shop ans spent 4400 dollars. now last month i had engine service soon light came and i go to machnic he said bad transmission. if a expensive car like this have no reliabality then whay people have to buy this peace of sh*t i want to aware people not to buy at least any maxima so that company will look into thre problem and fix it thanks

- , sanramon, ca, USA

Apr 302013

Maxima LS 3.5L

It was very disheartening purchasing a used car with unimaginable transmission problems. The problems ranging from skippering, slippage, dragging, jumping from gear 2 to gear 3 and failure to down shift. This causing the engine to stall. Spending so much money to buy a used car and to spend another $2500 for transmission replacement is too much to stomach. It is time for Nissan to take responsibility and recall all these vehicles with defected transmissions. I never had any issue with my Toyota sienna. Please, do the right thing.

- , Jamaca, Queens, NY, USA