CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.6

$2,732.00

2. new transmission (11 reports)
  3. replaced valve body (2 reports)
  4. new solenoid pack (1 reports)
  5. no . nissan doesnt want to fix this on warranty (1 reports)
2005 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 052015

Maxima 3.5L

We've about a six month history of the car jerking into gear, especially when shifting from reverse to drive. Took the car to a discount shop, where they couldn't reproduce the symptoms and ultimately just flushed/replaced the transmission fluid. That seemed to take care of the jerking for about a month.

Presently, the car is sitting at an AAMCO with a potential $4100 repair tab looming over our heads. They want to repair/replace the following: banner kit; VIAS solenoid; CAM Sensor; valve body; two mounts. Labor will cost around $2000; parts $916.

The frustrating part is that I don't know whether this should be an expected repair, or if I'm getting taken to the cleaners. Also, they've recommend that I replace the valve body with a new part vice a rebuild.

Any advise on this matter is greatly appreciated.

- , San Diego, CA, USA

Mar 012015

Maxima SE 3.2L V6

Transmission slippage in the lowest gears. When the car warms up after a 10 mile it starts slipping. When I try to stop at a traffic light or when I try to accelerate from a complete stop. I would appreciate any helpful steps in fixing the issue. My current value is around $5000 I hate to spend nearly $3500 for a new transmission on the vehicle. I'm sure my car will run for another 30 - 40,000 miles if this is fixed.

- , Levittown, PA, USA

Jan 222013

Maxima 3.5 SE 3.5L V6

I previously owned a 2005 Nissan Maxima and I had all the same transmission problems as everyone else. It takes up to seven seconds to shift from park to reverse, followed by a loud thud. It does the same going from park to drive. It also slipped from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. The engine will rev high, come back down, and then shift, causing a very hard jerk on the transmission, thus causing engine mount problems.

I have been in touch with Safercar.gov and submitted a complaint and am going to do so with the BBB against Nissan of North America. I have taken the car to the dealership, and they tell me I need to flush my tranny, which I didn't think you were supposed to do in a 6th generation Maxima. Nissan of North America were no help at all, stating they couldn't do anything because my warranty had expired. This SHOULD not be a warranty issue, this should be a recall on all Nissans affected.

I never got into an accident, but was very close numerous times because my car wouldn't accelerate the way it was supposed to. I ended up having a rebuilt transmission put into the car by AAMCO costing me $3,100.03. Nissan needs to reimburse me my money and put a recall out on these faulty transmissions before someone is injured or even worse KILLED. Step up Nissan and fix your problem!!!

- , Houston, TX, USA

Mar 022015

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I have had my 2005 Nissan Maxima for a little over 1yr, I am already experiencing transmission issue. I took it to Midas and was inform that I need a new transmission and it will cost over $3,000 to fix the problem. I don't have that kind of money to fix the car at the moment, I use the car to get back and forth to work, I am really taking a big risk.

Nissa needs to own up to the problem and fix the defected transmission before someone gets hurt.

- , Hammond, IN, USA

Jan 012015

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

I bought this Nissan Maxima with 65,000 miles on it, it had absolutely no problems. As soon as it hit 75,000 miles, I started to notice a problem every time I would put the car in drive or reverse, the car would hesitate for a few seconds & then it would jerk into drive or reverse. As time went by, the jerk was getting increasingly rough. Then I started to notice that when I would be driving on any stop & go traffic or sitting, as soon I would take my foot off the pedal & then try to accelerate the car it wouldn't, but you could see the RPM's go up & then the car would jolt/jerk/slam into gear & accelerate. IT FEELS LIKE THE CAR IS GOING TO BREAK IN HALF WHEN THIS HAPPENS.

Of course, like any concerned driver would do, I take the car to my local Nissan dealer to have it looked at, the mechanic takes it for a ride & comes back & says there is nothing wrong with the shifting. So then I go with him for a second drive & of course the car is shifting correctly without any problems & I looked like an idiot. So I'm left with no other choice than to hope that it happens when I'm free to just shoot on over to the dealer & have them drive it so they can fix it. I have an extended warranty which states that I have to go to Nissan for any repairs/replacements to be done on it or the warranty company won't cover it.

So hear I am just waiting for the perfect opportunity to fly straight to Nissan so they can feel how bat sh*t crazy the car is shifting & now I'm learning that there is a lawsuit against this wide spread problem & of course Nissan doesn't want to lift a finger about it. If I can't get this problem fixed promptly I'm going to be forced to get rid of the car, which I don't want to do because it's a beautiful car.

- , Kingston, NY, USA

Dec 082014

Maxima SE 3.5L

This issue started in December 2014, the vehicle started to jerk really bad when I changed gears and when I am driving. I had a mechanic check it out and he told me it was problems with the transmission. I recently took the vehicle back to the dealership that I purchased it from and the mechanic reported the same issues. I had the motor mounts replaced and kept up with my maintenance schedules. The issue appeared out of nowhere.

After doing some research I discovered that this is a wide spread issue with the 2005 Maxima. I would like to know what Nissan is doing to fix the problem. There has been no recall for the transmission and I can't afford to pay approximately $4000 to have the transmission replaced.

I think it is truly unfair for the consumer to have to pay for cost for something that is obviously a manufacturer issue and should be paid for by the manufacturer. I bought my Maxima in good faith as a new vehicle and paid in good faith and Maxima should pay in good faith!

- , Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 192015

Maxima 35SL V6

89,000 miles on an expensive car - not expecting transmission problems.

I notified Nissan North American and they would not help. I guess they don't stand behind their products.

I will never buy another Nissan

- , Lancaster, PA, USA

Oct 242014

Maxima 3.5 SE 3.8L

So my 05 Maxima has just recently started a kind of delay when switching from reverse up to drive. It's like a delay and then kinda clunks into drive. I was unaware of any issues with this model before reading this forum. What I'm curious about is, has anyone who had these issues tried changing the tranny fluid? And did it do any good? I know the Matic fluid for these things is crazy expensive, so I'm wondering if spending the money to change the fluid is even going to make a difference. Not really looking forward to losing the transmission but from reading these posts it kinda seems like it's inevitable. Any thoughts on what to do to prevent or prolong the total transmission replacement would be greatly appreciated.

- , Gladstone, MI, USA

Jul 302014

Maxima caramel

I BOUGHT THIS CAR NEW IN 2005. IN 2009 I HAD TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. THEY FIXED IT. IN JULY OF 2014 I AGAIN HAD TRANSMISSION AND EXHAUST AND OTHER RELATED PROBLEMS

WHAT IS GOING ON???

Update from Apr 28, 2015: I HAVE ALWAYS HAD ELECTRICAL PROBLEMS WITH MY CAR. MY VISORS, OVER HEAD LIGHTS, SUNROOF DOESNT WORK. STEREO IN BOTH MY MAXIMAS. GOES OUT WAY BEFORE THE WARRANTIES. THIS IS MY 3RD WARRANTY ON THIS CAR BECAUSE IT HAS SO MANY PROBLEMS. THE LIGHTS GET SHORTED OUT MY BACK LIGHTS. TIMING CHAIN, BELT AND TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS. HOW MANY TIMES IN THE LIFE TIME OF A CAR LIKE A NISSAN YOU CAN AFFORD TO HAVE TRANSMISSION PROBLEMS I HAVE HAD 2/3 FED UP !!

- , Elk Grove, CA, USA

Jan 152014

• CVT transmission

I have had my Maxima since March 2009 and have loved the car, until January 2014. My car started jumping and jolting when trying to change gears. After going to my local Nissan dealership (I didn't purchase the car from), I was told it would cost $2,500 to fix it. Not having the money to do so, I continue driving my car daily for work. It seems after it warms up at about 15 miles is when the problem with the jumping starts. I wish Nissan would recall the transmission because from all the complaints I have seen about this car, someone needs to take responsibility for this faulty transmission.

- , Rockingham, NC, USA

Mar 012014

Maxima V6

THIS PROBLEM NEEDS INVESTIGATION. UNSAFE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

- , Brighton, MA, USA

Jun 012007

Maxima SE 3.2L

My car would shift so hard, once a passenger thought I hit another car. My husband drove it once and thought the transmission fell out on the highway. I had my cousin who is a mechanic fix it because it was out of warranty and Nissan had told me $1600 to fix. I only had 80,000 miles.

It started doing it again at 120,000 and I've not had it repaired again yet.

- , Buchanan, GA, USA

Oct 012013

Maxima ES 3.5L V6

Transmission needs replacing due to an obvious Nissan error. Too many complaints for this to be a fluke. Right now my car is an expensive driveway ornament due to the fact that it's unsafe to drive. I have filed numerous complaints and joined the class action suit. Basically I'm stuck without a vehicle unless I want to cough up approximately 4K for a new transmission due to no fault of my own!

- , anna, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Maxima

Piece of sh*t cars that NEED LEGAL ATTENTION AGAINST THE COMPANY!!!

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 112013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have enjoyed my Maxima until this happened. The first time was after coming home from work and parking in my garage. When I shifted in reverse to reposition the car, it shifted hard. Now I am noticing it shift hard after driving for about 40 minutes, when engine is hot.

It is an intermittent problem therefore, I am reluctant to have it diagnosed as It does not happen every time. I think it probably won't happen when I take it to the mechanic.

From what I can understand, this happens on quite a few Maximas. HELP!!!!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 262013

Maxima 3.5 SE V6

I purchased this car January of this year and things with the car were great until around April when the jerking started when going from reverse to drive and the rpm trying to pick up speed and the cars speedometer not picking up. I am so afraid i am going to cause an accident one day because the car is trying to stall in traffic. I am so pissed off with this purchase because i feel the dealership knew of this problem before he sold it. But lesson learned i'm buying another car.Will never buy another Nissan no matter how pretty they may be.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Maxima

My daughter is in college full time and we gave her this vehicle to get back and forth to school (local) and work. When she presses on the gas, the car jerks to a stop and then takes off. Similiar to all the other complaints regarding this year and car. I wish we could get rid of it and buy her something else with no or less problems. But no one is going to give us decent money for it with this problem. So please let's all come together and pray Nissan will soon acknowlege this problem. I mean, really, this should be a recall because it is obvious they did something wrong in the building of the model/year. Ughhhh

- , Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jan 092011

Maxima SE V6

I AM ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE SAME PROBLEM AS EVERYONE ELSE. MY CAR JERKS AND JUMPS REALLY HARD WHEN I TRY TO PICK UP SPEED AND SWITCH GEARS. IT IS A SHAME THAT WITH SO MANY WITH SAME PROBLEM AND NISSAN WONT COME FORWARD. WE SHOULD REALLY PROTEST THIS ISSUE. I AM A SINGLE MOM AND INSTEAD OF MY MONEY GOING TOWARDS MY KID ITS ALL GOING TOWARDS MY CAR AND STILL WONT FIX THE PROBLEM. ITS A PAIN IN MY ASS AND DANGEROUS. HOPEFULLY NOBODY GETS HURT BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM. I FEEL FOR ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE GOING THOUGH THIS SAME PROBLEM. HOPEFULLY THEIR WILL BE JUSTICE FOR THIS. MESSAGE ME IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER TOWARDS THIS PROBLEM.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012012

Maxima

It seems my Nissan has the same problem as all the other complaints. After the car has been driven for a while and warmed up it start to jerk and jolt when going into the lower gears. I had taken the car into our mechanic and he stated that it was the motor mounts. Duh, that was from the stress of the jerking but it still did not fix the problem. And of course I just paid the car off, now it is sitting in my drive way until I can decide what to do with it. I though about leaving the key in it, hoping some one would take it. I wont buy Nissan again, if this many people have had issues, and Nissan is aware, why does the consumer always have to pay. I would of like to have driven the paid off car for a couple of years. Own up Nissan, take responsibility and fix these cars.

- , Winston, GA, USA

May 012013

Maxima SL V6

I waited and saved up for my very first new car. I purchased a brand new Maxima SL. I thought I had scored. I paid $32,500.00 for this car. The car was everything I wanted, heated seats, nav, powered windows, sun roof, 6 disc changer, basically all the toys a girl needs. I now have a son leaving for college. The car could not have started acting up at a worse time. When driving around 20 miles whether you are increasing speed or decreasing the car does not want to go or shift gears. Then it just jerks and switches into gear. I took it to the shop. The mechanic says that the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If there are so many complaints about the same thing Nissan needs to have big balls and step up!!!!!!

- , Cape Coral, FL, mexico