CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.4

$2,275.00

2. new transmission (5 reports)
  3. new solenoid pack (1 reports)
2005 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2005 Nissan Maxima:

2005 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012007

Maxima SE 3.2L

My car would shift so hard, once a passenger thought I hit another car. My husband drove it once and thought the transmission fell out on the highway. I had my cousin who is a mechanic fix it because it was out of warranty and Nissan had told me $1600 to fix. I only had 80,000 miles.

It started doing it again at 120,000 and I've not had it repaired again yet.

- , Buchanan, GA, USA

Oct 012013

Maxima ES 3.5L V6

Transmission needs replacing due to an obvious Nissan error. Too many complaints for this to be a fluke. Right now my car is an expensive driveway ornament due to the fact that it's unsafe to drive. I have filed numerous complaints and joined the class action suit. Basically I'm stuck without a vehicle unless I want to cough up approximately 4K for a new transmission due to no fault of my own!

- , anna, TEXAS, USA

Jul 012013

Maxima

Piece of sh*t cars that NEED LEGAL ATTENTION AGAINST THE COMPANY!!!

- , Fort Wayne, IN, USA

Dec 112013

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have enjoyed my Maxima until this happened. The first time was after coming home from work and parking in my garage. When I shifted in reverse to reposition the car, it shifted hard. Now I am noticing it shift hard after driving for about 40 minutes, when engine is hot.

It is an intermittent problem therefore, I am reluctant to have it diagnosed as It does not happen every time. I think it probably won't happen when I take it to the mechanic.

From what I can understand, this happens on quite a few Maximas. HELP!!!!

- , Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 262013

Maxima 3.5 SE V6

I purchased this car January of this year and things with the car were great until around April when the jerking started when going from reverse to drive and the rpm trying to pick up speed and the cars speedometer not picking up. I am so afraid i am going to cause an accident one day because the car is trying to stall in traffic. I am so pissed off with this purchase because i feel the dealership knew of this problem before he sold it. But lesson learned i'm buying another car.Will never buy another Nissan no matter how pretty they may be.

- , Jacksonville, FL, USA

Jun 012013

Maxima

My daughter is in college full time and we gave her this vehicle to get back and forth to school (local) and work. When she presses on the gas, the car jerks to a stop and then takes off. Similiar to all the other complaints regarding this year and car. I wish we could get rid of it and buy her something else with no or less problems. But no one is going to give us decent money for it with this problem. So please let's all come together and pray Nissan will soon acknowlege this problem. I mean, really, this should be a recall because it is obvious they did something wrong in the building of the model/year. Ughhhh

- , Upper Marlboro, MD, USA

Jan 092011

Maxima SE V6

I AM ANOTHER VICTIM OF THE SAME PROBLEM AS EVERYONE ELSE. MY CAR JERKS AND JUMPS REALLY HARD WHEN I TRY TO PICK UP SPEED AND SWITCH GEARS. IT IS A SHAME THAT WITH SO MANY WITH SAME PROBLEM AND NISSAN WONT COME FORWARD. WE SHOULD REALLY PROTEST THIS ISSUE. I AM A SINGLE MOM AND INSTEAD OF MY MONEY GOING TOWARDS MY KID ITS ALL GOING TOWARDS MY CAR AND STILL WONT FIX THE PROBLEM. ITS A PAIN IN MY ASS AND DANGEROUS. HOPEFULLY NOBODY GETS HURT BECAUSE OF THIS PROBLEM. I FEEL FOR ALL THE OTHER PEOPLE GOING THOUGH THIS SAME PROBLEM. HOPEFULLY THEIR WILL BE JUSTICE FOR THIS. MESSAGE ME IF ANYONE HAS AN ANSWER TOWARDS THIS PROBLEM.

- , Houston, TX, USA

Nov 012012

Maxima

It seems my Nissan has the same problem as all the other complaints. After the car has been driven for a while and warmed up it start to jerk and jolt when going into the lower gears. I had taken the car into our mechanic and he stated that it was the motor mounts. Duh, that was from the stress of the jerking but it still did not fix the problem. And of course I just paid the car off, now it is sitting in my drive way until I can decide what to do with it. I though about leaving the key in it, hoping some one would take it. I wont buy Nissan again, if this many people have had issues, and Nissan is aware, why does the consumer always have to pay. I would of like to have driven the paid off car for a couple of years. Own up Nissan, take responsibility and fix these cars.

- , Winston, GA, USA

May 012013

Maxima SL V6

I waited and saved up for my very first new car. I purchased a brand new Maxima SL. I thought I had scored. I paid $32,500.00 for this car. The car was everything I wanted, heated seats, nav, powered windows, sun roof, 6 disc changer, basically all the toys a girl needs. I now have a son leaving for college. The car could not have started acting up at a worse time. When driving around 20 miles whether you are increasing speed or decreasing the car does not want to go or shift gears. Then it just jerks and switches into gear. I took it to the shop. The mechanic says that the transmission needs to be rebuilt or replaced. If there are so many complaints about the same thing Nissan needs to have big balls and step up!!!!!!

- , Cape Coral, FL, mexico

May 012012

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

Bought our 2005 Nissan Maxima in June of 2005. My family always had Nissans. Saw my Nissan in dealership showroom. Told me how wonderful this car is and how long it would last. So we bought the car. Should have known other issues started with the car first and then around 68,000.00 car started jerking into 2nd and 3rd gear. Spoke with some mechanics said it was my transmission would run over $4,000.00 to fix. For as much money we spend on these vehicles. Nissan needs to step up. recall the transmissions on these cars before somebody gets seriously injured or dies. I have kids and i will not take my kids anymore in this vehicle. These cars are suposed to last longer then 70,000. miles. I have a 95 toyota that is still going strong. There are people out there that can't afford to buy cars every 50,00.00 miles or spend 4 grand fixing one. We spend so much on a vehicle purchase the payments are like house payments now. Step it up Nissan recall the transmissions. I will never owe a Nissan again..

- , Las Cruces, NM, USA

Jan 062012

Maxima SE V6

I have a 2005 Nissan Maxima about January of 2012 the car start to give me problems. It pulls and jump, also hesitate when I reverse and put it in drive. I was told I needed new engine mount, which I had done for $800. The problem was still there. Towards the end of 2012 I took it to a Nissan dealer to diagnose, and was told my cam shaft sensors need to be replaced. I asked the repair tech if he sure it wasn't the transmission, and he said no he's sure the cam shaft was the problem and in order to even check the transmission I had to pay for what was diagnosed. I paid about $480 when they called for me to pick up the car. I left the dealer and the problem was still there, I called the tech right away and told him its not fixed. I have been in touch with Nissan Consumers affair to have Nissan take care of fixing the problem, but was told they will not assist me in fixing the cam shaft or any out of warranty repair. I took the car back January 2013 for them to diagnose again, and this time Nissan determine that it was the transmission and it need to be replaced. I called back consumers affairs and they declined to fix it. The highway safety website have over 700 complaints with the 2004 and 2005 Maxima having transmission problems. The sales reps at the dealer said its a known problem with the '04/'05 Maximas. My car barely drives now, and often dont go over 25 mph. The cost Nissan gave me is $4200 to fix. I hope Nissan don't wait to have a fatal accident before they acknowledge and fix what's going on.

- , Altamonte Springs, FL, USA

Oct 012008

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

I have read so much about this issue and it appears that every ones complaint is similar. There IS a problem with the transmissions in these vehicles and is seems it varies in severity from complaint to complaint. In my particular case, I do have some slipping issue in lower gears but the major issue is going into drive after backing up. I will reverse the car, come to a dead stop, place car in drive,......it hesitates and then the neck jarring "Thud" into drive occurs. It feels and sounds as though the transmission is going to fall right out! Naturally it will never do it when I take to to the dealer and they tell me it is fine! I basically gave up, I returned the car after the lease was up and it is still sitting in the parking lot at the dealer. To bad, it really was a nice car when I had with the exception obviously of the tranny.

- , Barrie, Ontario, canada

Nov 302011

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

The jerking / lunging problem that everyone here is talking about is happening to me too. It happened once last year, and started happening more regularly this fall. Although it is still manageable since it only happens once in a while when changing from reverse to drive, I am really getting worried that this will eventually get worse. NISSAN will lose me as a customer if they don't recall their junk transmission very soon!!

- , Montreal, QC, canada

Jul 282011

Maxima SE 3.5L

This problem seemed to pop up out the blue. The transmission shifts hard between second and third gear. I also have a problem when the car is running in park, and I shift into reverse or drive. The car hesitates before it jerks violently into gear. I did not know that this is a recurring problem with this car, but it certainly is a major concern for me and my family. A used transmission, from my research usually costs over a thousand dollars, with rebuilding it costing even more. I sick and tired of this and I hope and pray Nissan does something about this problem.

- , Pensacola, FL, USA

Oct 082011

Maxima 250,000 V6

i have nissan maxima 2005 se automatic tranny with 250,000 kms, i got my automatic transmission rebuilt, and after 10,000 kms of rebuilt now i am facing problem that when i put my car in drive for the first time, it gives a jerk and afterwards it runs ok, i went to nissan dealer he is like its ok, or he suggests to change tranny, they wants to mint money,, no one actually knows now what is the solution of initial jerks, anyone with a solution can call me at 306-715-0029, i would appreciate your call anytime, thanks

- , Saskatoon, Saskatchewan, Canada

May 032011

Maxima V6

Nissan has a clear CUT problem with this year and models transmission, Nissan North America refuses to acknowledge the problem, the car JUMPS into 5th gear stalls, revs up as high as it can go, feels like someone slams into the back of you, stalls at lights and stop signs and is completely undriveable. The Nissan Dealer then quoted me a price of over 6 THOUSAND dollars to fix the transmission and motor mounts. When I contacted Nissan North America to find out what they were going to do they all but told me "exactly what to do with myself". I have 2 years of payments on a non drivable car. Very very sad and I will never ever deal with Nissan as long as I am breathing. BTW. the service manager himself told me the tranny on this car is useless. WOW>

- , Lakeside, CA, USA

May 052009

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

2005 nissan maxima 3.5 v6 at 55000 miles started to shift to soon into gears. would shift into 4th at 35 miles an hour. Problem got worse with hard jumpy shifts. When engine is cold it shifts smooth as it warms up at 6-8 miles it starts shifting into gears by real hard jumping shifts. Feels like the transmission is going to break out of the car. Shift the car into reverse it just slams and jumps forward. Of coarse it was out of warranty when it started. Dealer checked and told me it needed a new tranny. I have done my homework and found extensive information pointing to a faulty valve assembly control. Over a $1000 dollars for part without labor. I have owned 4 nissan without any major problems. This car has had the timing chain making noise at 75000 miles , and there is a bad problem in the center of the dash you can place items on the flat part. There is a problem if you put spare coins they fall through the back of the dash and directly into an electronic control box. There is a slot in this box in the perfect shape of a coin slot. My car started not shifting step on the brake and the headlights and horn would come on. I could not find the problem until a repair blog stated the problem. Opened up the dash and checked the control box and found coins in it. Purchased a new one from dealer and surprise it came with black tape over the slot. Nissan realized there was a problem and fixed the new ones with tape over the slot. No recall or warning of a defective part or problem . I will never buy another Nissan again. They should stand behind their products when the know there are problems. I work with thousands of people and I will warn everyone I know about Nissan's lack of standing behind their cars. People do not buy Nissan. They sell lemon's. If you have a problem file complaints.

- , Apple Valley, CA, USA

Dec 092011

Maxima 3.5L

my 05 nissan maxima after warming it up to operating temp , any stopping or slowing down below 25mph going upward in speed again the rpm race's to about 7000 than hard jerk into gear. like being hit in the rear. once getting to desturenation to park going into revers you get jerk into gear and than back to drive you get that hard jerk again. this problem started about 63000 miles now at 720000 miles I have drive or reverse. called dealer about problem and was told not covered under warranty .warranty 5 years or 50000 miles so I'm hose with this ##$&^*!!11 OF JUNK car. Nissan need to be sued for this. dose any one know how to go about taking this action let me know. axejaysongs@yahoo.com . in D.C.

- , Washington, D.C, USA

May 112010

Maxima SE V6

THIS IS MY SECOND NISSAN I HAVE A 2005 MAXIMA... ITS BEEN ONE REPAIR AFTER ANOTHER TO MANY TO NAME HAVE SPENT OVER $8000 SINCE I'VE PURCHASE THE CAR GETTING RID OF IT.. TRANSMISSION ISSUE!! RUN IF YOU DON'T WANT COSTLY REPAIRS.

- , Symrna, GA, USA

Jan 302012

Maxima SE 3.5L

I have owned this car for exactly 9 hours !!!! went to the gas station and the transmission is slipping so badly that I'm afraid to drive it back to the car lot !!!

what are some fixes for this?

- , Syracuse, NY, USA