CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 7 of 12)

Sep 012009

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the vehicle jerked abnormally and without warning. The contact was unable to shift gears. The vehicle was taken to the dealer, who stated that the transmission had failed. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure was not reported to the manufacturer. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 85,000. The current mileage was 110,000.

- Jackson , MS, USA

Apr 152013

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 25 mph, the vehicle failed to accelerate. The tcs, ABS, and the slip warning lights all illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that a rear sensor needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. One week later the failure recurred. The vehicle was returned to the mechanic and the contact was awaiting the diagnosis. The vehicle was not further repaired. The failure and current mileage was 114,000. The consumer stated the vehicle would suddenly stop, and would not move. Once he removed his foot from the accelerator, the vehicle would just take off. Updated 12/16/13

- Brooklyn, NY, USA

May 062013

Maxima 6-cyl

We just purchased this Maxima approximately a month ago. Once the car has been driven for about ten minutes straight, there is severe jerking and hesitation as it attempts to shift gears. We even experience this while on the interstate. It almost feels as if the transmission is going to fall out. It is now in the shop due to transmission repair. I see there is a class action lawsuit filed again Nissan due to the fact the they have knowledge of the faulty transmission and are not attempting to fix the issue. We are now out of money for an issue that I believe should be made very public. Had we known in the beginning about this incident, we would have chosen a different vehicle. Luckily for us, we were not involved in an accident like many people in the cases. I think that a recall needs to be placed in order due to this defect. I do not want anyone to experience what we are experiencing. No only are we still paying on the vehicle, we are now out of roughly $3,000 for a replacement transmission. Something needs to be done about this.

- Union City, TN, USA

Aug 162012

Maxima

Slowed down while someone turned and the car sped up an almost hit the car turning. Then the car started accelerating and slowing down on its own. The car now jerks into gear and speeds up and slows down by itself. I have refused to drive the car and from everything I have read Nissan refuses to do anything but charge $3,500-$4,500 for a new transmission even though it is the same transmission that does not last 60,000 miles in some cars. This is a very dangerous car and needs to be recalled to fix the obvious defect in the transmission.

- Jennings, LA, USA

Aug 082012

Maxima 6-cyl

In August of 2012 I was in my 2006 Nissan Maxima on my way home from work when I was in traffic during rush hour when I was waiting at the traffic light, with cars behind me when my car stopped and wouldn't start or move, the transmission had gone up a few months prior I took my car to Nissan to get a diagnostic they reported not only did I need a brand new transmission at a sum of $3500 but also a meter control amp which controls the drivers dashboard, I make car payments on this car still, I've been driving a car rental since Nov 2012 I can't afford it I need transportation, I have to get to work.I'm so frustrated I just found out yesterday that there is a class action lawsuit with Nissan North America due to these damage transmissions they sold the public, I so desperately in need of help I need my car fixed.

- Pikesville, MD, USA

Feb 052013

Maxima 6-cyl

I was driving my '06 Nissan Maxima SE home from work on the interstate. I pressed down on the gas to get into the other lane because traffic was speeding around me to fast. Upon me trying to get into the slower lane my car started to buckle and jerk and not have any power when I pressed on the gas pedal. My car just lost all power but the care was still running. I had no control of the car. Traffic was speeding around me and I looked up and saw a 18 wheeler slam on his breaks because my car was slowing down and stopped without warning. No brake lights or anything. My car was just creeping along in the middle of 5 O'clock traffic on I-20 at I-95N. I did not know what to do so I just sat there until finally a break came in the traffic about 30-45 mins later. Other drivershad to skid off the road to avoid hitting the cars infront of them because my "safe, dependable, and durable" Maxima was stuck and about to cause a whirlwind of a traffic pile up if not deaths because of the problem that my car has with its transmission. I had my vehicle to the nearest Nissan dealership and they denied anything was wrong with my vehicle. Not to mention that I had to pay the diagnostic fee for them to tell me that my car has no problems with the transmission. So, to make a long story shorter, I am out of a fee for the diagnostic charge by dick smith Nissan in columbia, SC. They claim that there is nothing wrong with my car! however, they did say that I need to spend $4,600 for a new transmission. I will never buy another Nissan product ever!!!!!!

- Columbia, SC, USA

Mar 012013

Maxima

While driving at slow speed I noticed that the gear shifts were really hard and jerky, both up shift and down shift. I pulled over and stopped the car and put the car in park it was fine then when I put the car in drive it did no slowly move forward like it normally would. So I pressed the gas pedal slowly and noticed the gear shift into first really hard it felt like something just hit the car. I researched and found that several people with this 6th generation Nissan Maxima (2006) and the 5 speed at have the same issue. I called Nissan and they did not offer to fix the issue for me. I was told that I did not have a "business relationship" with the dealer and they would not be able to help me. Upon asking to elaborate what a "business relationship" meant, they told me that it was not serviced by Nissan dealerships on a regular basis. I am really disappointed with Nissan for not taking responsibility for using faulty equipment.

- Okc, OK, USA

Jul 092012

Maxima 6-cyl

While driving my Maxima started to with a little kick going into 2nd gear..now there is a major kick when giving it gas or going to reverse..anything in reverse 1st 2nd or 3rd gear has a hard kick..there are alot to other customers with same problem and Nissan wont help there needs to be a recall.

- Grand Prairie, TX, USA

Aug 032012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 20 mph, the vehicle began to jerk and lunged forward independently. The contact performed online research and determined that there was a transmission failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 104,000.

- Brea, CA, USA

Mar 282013

Maxima 6-cyl

My transmission is failing after only 71,117 miles. The RPM revs but the car doesn't move then it jerks into gear. This problem is occurring in several 2006 Nissan Maximas. There has to be a manufactures defect with the transmission. This problem has been ongoing. My question is what is the Nissan corporation going to do. I will not purchase another Nissan until they rectify this issue with the failing transmission.

- Rialto, CA, USA

Jan 052011

Maxima 6-cyl

I purchased my Nissan Maxima brand new in January 2006. I started feeling my car having problems getting in gear in 2011. Now its getting worst. My check engine light is on, and I was told my the dealership that it is the transmission. I have seen now that Nissan had transmission issues with the 2006 Maximas and I believe that they should be recalled. I am in the navy and I need my car, for me and my family and I can't afford to purchase a new transmission, let alone a new car.

- Hoover, AL, USA

Jun 102012

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission hesitation when attempting to enter traffic or advance when moving slowly, like what occurs when a traffic light changes when you are approaching it. The engine will rev (RPM approx 4000-6000) then slam into gear and jerk forward. This causes the danger of being propelled into traffic at the wrong time or simply getting rear-ended. My vehicle also has the problem of hesitating when I place the gear shift lever into reverse. Research has shown this is a common problem with this generation Nissan Maxima and they have failed to take ownership and correct it.

- Independence, MO, USA

Mar 042013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving 45 mph, the vehicle began to jerk, lunge and decelerated independently. The vehicle was diagnosed by an independent mechanic and the contact was informed that the transmission would need to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 70,000.

- Donaldson, LA, USA

Sep 222012

Maxima 6-cyl

Vehicle jerks at low speeds between 10-25 mph while accelerating and decelerating (1st-2nd gears). Vehicle also jerks from shifting park to reverse or drive, reverse to drive and drive to reverse. Vehicle jerks so severe at low speeds, it feels like being rear-ended. Vehicle will do this while trying to merge into traffic which is a safety hazard.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Feb 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

Vehicle hard shifts from 1st to 2nd and 2nd to 3rd. It also hard shifts during deceleration around 1st or 2nd gears. This problem is widely reported on Nissan forums and on the internet. I believe it should be investigated as a recall issue as it has the possibility to cause injury. It feels like you are getting kicked when it does it.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Nov 302012

Maxima

Whe warmed up rpms shoot up. Hard shifting between gears.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 192013

Maxima 6-cyl

Sudden acceleration after the brakes were applied. Vehicle 1 hit two other vehicles, minor damage to them and then vehicle 1 flipped onto the driver's side. No one was injured. Nissan Maxima has been serviced twice for sudden acceleration at the Nissan dealership. The Nissan Maxima was judged to be a total loss due to the damage incurred.

- Des Moines, IA, USA

Oct 152012

Maxima

I'm concerned that the defective transmissions that Nissan knowingly placed in the 2006 Nissan Maxima is and will continue to cause bodily harm and fatalities. My car started out jerking, slipping so bad it would cause whip lash. Now it's at a point I have it parked because I'm scared that I, my family, or an innocent driver will be in an accident, or potentially killed. I recently called Consumer Affairs in reference to this matter and they wanted $5,100 to fix it. It's a shame that they knowingly are charging the consumers and harming the innocent. I'm a soldier!!! what if I half way protected this country? I pray someone will look into this matter. Innocent lives are at stake....

- Augusta, GA, USA

Sep 152012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while driving approximately 30 mph, the vehicle suddenly jerked forward. The failure occurred intermittently while driving and also idling. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician stated that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000. Mah

- Charolotte, NC, USA

Feb 052013

Maxima 6-cyl

Within the last month or so my vehicle has begun to display what appears to be a transmission problem. When I put it in reverse, then back into drive it hesitates and then jumps into gear. When I am accelerating (about 30-40 mph), my vehicle will hesitate or struggle to shift into the next gear. This happens most often at 30-40 mph but it has happen at faster and slower speeds and has happened with accelerating and decelerating. I have brought my vehicle to a repair shop who replaced the engine mounts at a cost of almost $1000 and that didn't fix the problem. Now they are stating the problem is the valve body. I brought it for a second opinion to the Nissan dealer and they state that I need a new transmission at a cost of $3500. I am about to bring it for a third opinion to a transmission shop. This is a safety concern in my opinion because the transmission could completely stall or give out while driving. I have researched this problem extensively online and have found hundreds of other stories of Maxima owners with the same or similar problem. I don't understand why Nissan hasn't been forced to recall these faulty transmissions. They obviously pose a danger to the public and they are obviously aware of the situation. I have found out about class action lawsuits against Nissan and have found out that Nissan has extended the warranty on the cvt transmissions (in the Altima), but I don't have that type of transmission. I would like to request that the NHTSA look into this problem further and take a look at the sheer number of owners who are dealing with this problem or who have. I would like to request that you demand Nissan to recall these vehicles and correct this problem. There is no reason that a transmission should need to be replaced in a vehicle after 70, 80 or 90 thousand miles. Thank you!

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA