CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 6 of 12)

Aug 192013

Maxima 6-cyl

I noticed that the transmission in my 2006 Nissan Maxima started to shift hard while driving and jerk into gear. I bought it three years prior as preowned from a Nissan dealership. It had 106K miles on it when it started to shift hard and jerk. I took it to pat peck Nissan in mobile, al to have it diagnosed and I was told that the transmission bands were going out and that the transmission needed to be replaced. Once I started to google Nissan Maxima transmissions, I came across where a civil lawsuit was filed against Nissan in 2012 claiming that Nissan knew or should have known about defective transmissions in the 2004-2006 Nissan Maximas and Altima. I contacted the corporate office of Nissan with my issue and to see if they were going to make this right. I then had to call them back for an status on my case and I was then told that because my warranty expired (4 months prior) that Nissan would not be able to assist me with this problem. I don't understand what my expired warranty has to do with a defective transmission?? a transmission should not be going out with 106K miles, mostly highway and the car has been taken care of. While I was online and discovered the lawsuit, there were so many complaints of people with the exact same issue. There is no way that the transmission should go out in everyone's car that has a 2004-2006 Maxima or Altima! I have owned three Nissan total and I will never by another Nissan again.

- Mobile, AL, USA

Mar 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission on my 2006 Maxima is slipping significantly!!! initially began acting up when putting in reverse from park or going from reverse to 1st. Had the transmission fluid checked--no problem found. Now, however, it slips when accelerating on the highway. The resulting jerk is as bad as having been rear-ended!! several times the transmission has hesitated so long when accelerating from a stop, that I have been afraid of being hit by the car behind me. Moreover, the slippage seems to be exacerbated when the A/C is running--which makes no sense to me--but the jolt I get when it finally finds the next gear is clearly much worse. At 100,000 miles, I'm going to be out-of-pocket for a new transmission that should have lasted at least twice the mileage!! I take care of my cars--got nearly 250,000 out of each of my previous cars: 2000 Accord, 1993 Mazda 626 and 1985 Camry. This is the first and last Nissan I will ever buy!!!!!

- Charlotte, NC, USA

Dec 012011

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2006 Nissan Maxima has been feeling weird for some weeks now. Every time it was taken to the mechanic shop they were never ever able to pinpoint the issue. After having spent hundreds of dollars on a new valve body, transmission flush, etc. The issue now seems to be the transmission! my transmission is completely out! I am very disappointed that I have spent $21,000+ on this car to get nothing but dept out of it! after almost getting into multiple accidents from the sudden jerking of the transmission, I can say I will never purchase another Nissan vehicle again!!!!! I wish I would have done research on this vehicle sooner so that I could have traded it in before it was too late. My mother who also purchased a Nissan (quest) is beginning to have the same problems. We are very disappointed with the company. The least Nissan could do it repair the damage for all the customers that are going through the same issue!

- Concord, CA, USA

Jul 232013

Maxima 6-cyl

The car jerks or hesitates as it switches to drive; gears are getting stuck as they switch in stop and go traffic.

- Apopka, FL, USA

Jul 162013

Maxima 6-cyl

Recent dangerous issues with my 2006 Maxima. Lately it has been jumping, or jerking when accelerating from a stop, or after mild braking. It is so sudden, feels like I may have been rear ended! I noticed two weeks ago a little jump in the rpms, but nothing too major. Routine maintenance and "everything looked good". that's what they always say.. sat Aug, 2, 2013, turned into a residential area from a highway, my rpms jumped so high and my car seemed to almost stall or freeze, it jumped to RPM 6. I was so startled I stopped the car and turned it off. Later in the night it drove again fine. Two days later, after getting off the highway, my car did it again, up to 5, then a moment later up to 4-5. I then came to a four way stop and gently accelerated only for my car to freeze/jump/jerk again but this time all the way to 7. I had to drift off to the side of road and turn my car off again. Sat there for 20 min until trying to start engine and drive home, 3 miles from home, exiting a major highway. 10- 45 mph. Not catching the correct gear, or not receiving the fuel properly to the engine, inhibiting all driving abilities, speed and safety. Literally can feel it as a driver. Incredibly scary, supposed to be safe, expensive car. Do not want to be killed by a tractor trailer, all because Nissan won't take responsibility, claim a recall that is obviously a nation wide issue. 255 out of 375 complaints on this websites are for the power train of 2006 Maximas. Power train=that is 92.7 % of the problem with 2006 Nissan Maxima. If that does not constitute fault, then what does" how many people have to be injured, or killed before this is recognized" disgusting, ashamed, pathetic. www.courthousenews.com/2012/01/13/Nissan.pdf.

- Westampton, NJ, USA

Feb 132013

Maxima

1. when slowing down around a turn, upon accelerating, there was a hard knock. Almost felt as if I had gotten rear ended. 2. when slowing down to a stop, shifting from 3 to 2 was also very hard.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Nov 122012

Maxima 6-cyl

When driving the car it slams into second and third gear. Then when I put it into reverse it will not go into reverse right away and sometimes it slams into reverse and jerks the car.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Apr 022012

Maxima 6-cyl

My car began shifting (abruptly and hard) when slowing down or stopping I'd say maybe 2nd to 3rd gear. It was dissatisfied to know after online research that this is an ongoing issue and Nissan will have no part in resolving the problem. Not happy!! so now I must replace the valve body from what I've found because it's not the tranny just "the brains" for the tranny.

- Clermont, FL, USA

May 152013

Transmission is slipping.

- Irwin, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Maxima

We have a 2006 Nissan Maxima. We bought it used in Jan 2012. By June 2013, we noticed transmission issues. When accelerating, it hesitates and then bangs into gear. When parking it hesitates and bangs into reverse and drive. The radiator is also having issues. I am afraid to drive it more than 10 miles at a time. This seems like a massive issue with several Nissan models from 2004-2006. Let's hope Nissan accepts their faulty equipment and does what is right to help everyone get it fixed. Many people do not have the money for repairs and/or are upside down in loan.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Mar 052013

Maxima 6-cyl

Engine starts fine. When car is shifted from park to drive there is a delayed engagement, followed by a harsh thud as car goes into gear. I have worked professionally as a mechanic and have rebuilt several automatic transmissions. This appears to be a problem with the valve body. The internet is covered in complaints on this problem; just go to google and type in "Maxima transmission problems." Unfortunately, most people don't have my mechanical aptitude and the Nissan is not owning up to the problem so it ends up costing the customer $3,000 -$4,500 or more to have the problem fixed. My car no longer has the "harsh delayed shift, " initially in the morning, but after driven 30 miles or so, then the problem manifests itself. Let me know if I can help in your analysis.

- St. Peters, MO, USA

May 152012

Maxima 6-cyl

Delayed shifts. Hard shift from 1st to 3rd gears. Hard down shifts.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Aug 252012

Maxima

I had to replace the radiator and the transmission. I spent $4,000 for repairs. Nissan is appealing the class action law suit. I am upside down on this vehicle. I need to get ride of it, now the motor whines??

- Brandon, MS, USA

Jul 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

My car started to jerk and had trouble moving from one gear to the next. As I started to accelerate, the engine would rev for a few seconds, then jerk, and finally shift to the next gear. When parallel parking, it would jerk upon shifting. I was very concerned about stalling in traffic and possibly being hit. On 7/1/13 I brought my car to the Nissan dealership for inspection. The next day they told me that I needed a new transmission and valve body; estimated cost $6,000.

- Dallas, TX, USA

May 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

When pulling out of a parking space, going from park to reverse, a hard shift is heard and felt and then from reverse to drive, same thing....abnormal. There are hard shifts and reluctant shifts during drive time. Driving to an appointment, taxi in front pulled to left turn lane and almost changed the direction to come back to my lane. I applied brakes assertively (no skid) and taxi remained in turn lane so I continued by acceleration (not aggressively). The car sounded as though it was in neutral and then spun the tires. This was a normal maneuver and should not have had the spin result. The problem will be evaluated in the very near future by a reputable mechanic.

- Henderson, NV, USA

Jun 102013

Maxima 6-cyl

After my car warms up if I go from neutral to drive it does not change immediately. It takes about 3 to 5 seconds then it slams into gear.

- Arlington, TX, USA

Jan 072013

Maxima 6-cyl

Transmission is shifts hard when put in reverse and drive. While driving car tends to shift hard.

- Mobile, AL, USA

May 062013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while stopped at a traffic stop light, the vehicle lunged forward and crashed into another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. Additionally, the contact stated that the vehicle stalled intermittently. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis where the technician stated that the transmission would have to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Crossett, AZ, USA

Mar 122013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle jerked abnormally hard when shifting gears. When the vehicle would accelerate, the transmission slowed and slammed into gear. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and the dealer determined that the transmission exhibited an internal failure, which needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 17,000 and the current mileage was 149,000.

- West Petersburg, VA, USA

Jun 012013

Maxima 6-cyl

I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima that jerks when shifting from 1-2 and R- D. the engine reeves while the shifting.

- Jamaica, NY, USA