CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 9 of 12)

Jun 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

I brought my Maxima from a dealer on February 6, 2012 beginning at 61587miles the transmission has stopped engaging properly when accelerating between 1st & 2nd gear of the automatic transmission. This occurs between 20 and 35mph and causes the vehicle to slam into gear with a force that negatively impacts the my ability to control the car causing an unsafe driving event. It is as powerful as being hit from the rear while driving. It will drive fine for a few miles and start lurching again. The vehicle would jerk violently before stalling. After researching the issues I was having with this car, I found that it is common in 2005 and 2006 Maxima and Nissan has not recalled these models for these issues.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jun 012012

Maxima 6-cyl

The past 4 months my Nissan has been jerking when I am at slow speeds. It feels like the transmission is slipping when it is in lower gears. It is very unpredictable surging forward at random times. I feel like any moment it is going to cause an accident or quit all together. I am going to schedule an appointment with Nissan dealer this week, but I did research prior and noticed numerous reports on this same issue. Including a current class action law suit. I do not have 3500 to replace the transmission if this was due to the error on behalf of Nissan. Please help.

- Lakeland, FL, USA

May 182012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. While driving approximately 35 mph, the contact attempted to accelerate but the vehicle became hesitant. The vehicle would also jerk forward while decelerating. The failure recurred at various speeds. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The technician advised the contact that the transmission would have to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 80,000.

- Berkley, MA, USA

Jul 152012

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while traveling 55-60 mph, the vehicle started to shake while shifting gears. The vehicle was taken to both the dealer and a private mechanic. The mechanic confirmed that the transmission and torque converter needed to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 91,000 and the current mileage was 92,500. Updated 10/31/12 the consumer no longer owns the vehicle. Updated 11/1/2012

- Fort Washington, MD, USA

Aug 272012

Maxima

There are many incidents of erratic speed changes. More precisely, exiting from highway I slowed to near stop, light changed I accelerated and vehicles RPM increased then banged into gear and jumped into lane. Other examples when vehicle is put into drive or reverse it will hesitate then leap forward, this may not happen for awhile then next day it happens again. At times when decelerating vehicle will down shift then shift up causing erratic stopping distances.

- Independence, MO, USA

Aug 102011

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that while traveling 30 mph, the vehicle failed to shift properly. The vehicle was taken to the dealer but was not diagnosed. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was 90,000 and the current mileage was 106,000.

- Whitemarsh, MD, USA

May 062012

Maxima 6-cyl

Purchased my 2006 Nissan Maxima in July of 2006 had 12,750 miles on the odometer I have keep this vehicle serviced on a regular basis for the past six years. On May 6, 2012 while pulling out of a parking spot I put the car in reverse and it didn't move a few seconds later there was a loud thump and it jerked into gear so hard I thought someone had reared ended me. From this moment on when I would put it in gear it hesitates and then after I've driven for a while it starts jerking and seems to lose power. I'm afraid that it is going to stop in the middle of traffic or cause me to have a accident. I was due for an oil change in July so I told the service writer that I was having this problem and that I was feeling something funny under my car, the mechanic test drove my car and I was advised that I needed a serpentine belt I paid $159.99 plus tax to have the serpentine belt replace along with my oil change. After I picked my car up and drove it for a while the jerking and hesitating presisted thats when a friend advised me that it was my transmission and I should have it checked. I contacted glenn Nissan sevice department and asked if there was a recall on the 2006 transmissions and was told there was no recall I asked the service writer if I had to have a trasmission how much would it cost they have not returned my call as of today. That's when I went online to check and see if there was a problem and saw the same complaints from other Nissan owners. I took my car to a transmission shop on 8/06/2012 and it was diagnosed that I would need a transmission and the cost be around of $4500 plus. My next step is to contact Nissan maufacturer to see if they can resolve this issue with the 2006 transmissions before someone gets hurt and or killed.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Sep 072012

Maxima 6-cyl

This vehicle has been maintained well over the years. It is absolutely incredible on how many people share the same problems that I have and that Nissan has not done nothing about it. My car started shifting really hard from 2nd to 3rd gear, it also gets stuck on 5th gear once the transmission is heated up. I know that it is the transmission that is defective or else there would not be so many videos on the internet about how to repair the solenoids that are inside the valve body. The car is in horrible driving condition and I even drive around with my hazards on because of the violent downshifts shake up the car and myself.

- Riverside, CA, USA

Aug 202012

Maxima

I and my 6 year old son were driving on the freeway and the car started jerking on the freeway. I started to change lanes and almost was rear ended because of jerking and the non response of the transmission. This could have been very dangerous for my son and my self.

- Bellflower, CA, USA

Feb 032012

Maxima 6-cyl

I drove to work which is about 10 miles from my residence, parked to retrieve some paprework then returned to my vehicle. I started my vehicle and placed the transmission in drive, with my foot on the brakes as required while changing gears.there was a big time delay before the transmission engaged into the drive position.there also was a loud and very hard "bang" causing me to be forced rearward in the seat and the vehicle jumped forward, as if there was not a foot on the brakes. At this point the vehicle is engaged in the drive position. I spoke to a representative at the dealership where I bought the vehicle new in April of 2006, all they had to say is I must pay $109 for a diagnosis of the problem and hopefully they could duplicate it. I also spoke to Nissan America consumer hotline and they also said that I must have it dealt with through the dealer, and they will see what they could do.at the time of this entry, the vehicle has 55000 mile exact. I have been on numerous site online and saw compliants about the same problem, with the transmission as a known fault. Transmissions from Nissan between the years of 2004 to 2007.all the complainants states they have not gotten any solution from Nissan America.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

May 012012

Maxima

The vehicle is violently jerking and switching between gears while slowing down or going down hill.

- Colorado Springs, CO, USA

Apr 052012

Maxima

I was driving my vehicle to work and I stopped at a red light. When the light turned green I pressed on the gas and the car RPM went up but my car did not moved. About 10 seconds later it jerk really hard into gear and moved. I got scared because cars were in front of me and I didn't know if my car was going to run right in the back of another vehicle. I bought the car from the waldorf, md Nissan dealership. When I was purchasing this car my main concern was safety. I was pregnant and I had two other small children that I Transport back and forth from school. Now I don't even feel safe to have my children in my car. I was told that I needed to replace the throttle bottle in my car or better yet get another transmission due to Nissan building these cars poorly. One I am a single working parent trying to provide for my family. And now I am stuck with a car that has known transmission issues. I know that Nissan is aware of the situation and this is very unprofessional for them not to fix the problem. What if one of my children where hurt due to the car jerking or down shifting when it isn't suppose to. What if myself or someone else lost their life due to Nissan not wanting to fix the issue that so many people have complained about. I pray that someone at Nissan will own up to this and fix this issue before someone gets hurt. And if it takes myself and others to keep calling or to go to the dealership and complain or better yet call the local news and have them cover a story because no one would like to see a mother or her children get hurt by a poor built vehicle!!!!

- Clinton, MD, USA

Jan 092012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the transmission would slip out of gear and exhibit a loud thumping sound. In addition, the vehicle would jerk when the transmission was switching gears. The contact stated that the failure mainly occurred in first and second gear but also in third and forth. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer and had the transmission fluid flushed but to no avail. The contact also had the transmission control module replaced but the failure was not corrected. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 105,000 and the current mileage was 138,000.

- Ayden, NC, USA

Jul 112012

Maxima

Mine started with a little kick and it just kept on getting worse to the point where it could cause whiplash... and this is during acceleration and while slowing down too. The transmission finally gave out!

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Mar 012012

Maxima

I am having a problem with my car jerking profusely when switching gears. It will do this as well when I come to a stop and then take off. There is something definitely wrong with this make/model/year vehicle. I love my car but after seeing throughout the internet alot of people having the exact same problem, I do not believe my next purchase will be a Nissan. The manufacturer should be recalling and fixing this issue. Maybe families that have lost loved ones while driving this vehicle should investigate the cause of accident a little further.

- Falmouth, KY, USA

Jun 072012

Maxima

Transmission starts to slip from first to second when it gets warmed up. I was reading online that Nissan made a defective transmission and is refucing to take responsability for there mistakes.

- Kansas City, KS, USA

Jun 102012

Maxima 6-cyl

I was going through a stop sign, and after I stopped, I pressed the gas only to see the rpms shoot up without the vehicle moving for five seconds, then the car finally kicked into gear. This is very unsafe and this is not the first incident.

- Atlanta, GA, USA

Jan 022012

Maxima 6-cyl

My car was bought at a Nissan dealership in 2011 of December, in January I noticed the car jerking and shifting while driving 20 to 30 miles. So I took the car back at the dealership and they said that they will only give me another car only if the problem is in the transmission, they told me that the problem is my motor mount is broken, and they don't cover anything outside the transmission or engine only the inside.. the total amount to fix was 500 but I had no money to do it.they gave me an option of taking an extended warranty which it was expensive for me so I shopped for a warranty and I got a full bumper to bumper for a cheaper price than what they gave me. It took me 3months to go back to the dealer with a new warranty they fixed the motor mount but the issue is still their. A Nissan technician took it for a test drive they suggested that I need a new transmission and there's no way I'm willing to give them my car again to fix because it took them along time to realize the problem telling me to fix your car we need to get it out of idle and emission needs to be checked that's what they were saying before they realize its a transmission..I love Nissan Maxima but in order to keep a customer like me to stay loyal please fix the issue and do the right thing by recalling the vehicles.

- Bronx, NY, USA

Nov 122011

Maxima 6-cyl

I was driving 45mph and came to a red light which I stopped and when the light turned green I placed my foot on the gas and my Nissan would not get past 3rd gear and jerked really bad before it would accelerate. This happens now all the time and I even had transmission fluid replaced in my car which has not prevented the issue that I am still having faulty transmission.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Apr 112012

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact was driving 25 mph when the vehicle became resistant to acceleration attempts. In addition, the contact was unable to shift into any gear. There were several warning lights illuminated on the instrument panel when the failure occurred. Neither the dealer nor the manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 108,000.

- Vinton, VA, USA