Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Sep 302016

Transmission does not function properly. Harsh upshifts or downshifts during moderate acceleration or slowing down.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jan 012010

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the gear shifter failed. While attemtping to shift gears, the shifter locked. The dealer diagnosed that the water pump leaked water into the transmission and caused the gear shifter to fail. The transmission assembly was replaced, but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Vinton, LA, USA

Sep 022016

The 2006 Nissan Maxima has a major issue of violently jerking after 100K miles, I have seen reports that it does this even before it reaches such mileage. I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima worst car I have ever bought I will never ever buy another Nissan product. The car violently jerks into gear when coming to a stop or driving off, this problem has been identified by many owners and Nissan has done nothing. I have spent 1800 hundred dollars replacing the engine mounts and the car still jerks. The car is paid for and I will not spend anymore replacing the transmission because that would cost more than what the car is worth.

- Va Beach, VA, USA

Feb 162016

"takata recall" transmission slipping and wiring on headlights going out all this going on while in motion.

- St. Thomas, PA, USA

Jan 122016

Transmission hard shift.

- Elmendorf, TX, USA

Mar 032015

Transmission went at 121000 miles now a year later slipping again

- Naples, FL, USA

May 292016

Hi all, I went to smoky mountains for memorial day long weekend end and I was on the 11 miles dragon tail road. My 2006 Nissan Maxima had been acting weird by jumping when the gear is shifting automatically but I didn't take it hard because my mechanic said it is not a transmission issue and I trusted him, but that day was a scary day while driving my vehicle was jumping automatically more than usual. I thought that I would fall from the mountain and luckily my friend asked me to take a U turn after half the road. Everybody in the car were so scared and paranoid after the car acted in such way. We kept our lives in our hands and left hope on god to save us till we get down the road. The way my car acted on the dragon tail road in the mountains freaked us all. We initially thought this might be due to bad gas with additives may be which filled near smoky mountains, but got confirmed today after reading multiple issues and complaints in reference to the same problem via many sources on 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima and other vehicles. Why is the North american government who ensures the safety about these vehicles not even taking any action in reference to the same. I saw that many people complained on this issue and no one got any luck on the solution. Also, we are not asking to give us a new car. All that we are asking is justice for our hard earned money which we spent on this junk Nissan cars. I think Nissan holds a junk yard and makes all their transmissions from the junk yard parts. Also, this manufacturer should be held responsible and penalized to the maximum so that no other personal can have a bad experience as me. Imagine if I had hit somebody or I myself fell from the mountain due to the Nissan's mistake in manufacturing these defective transmissions. God, please punish these people who are playing with our lives as no one else is hearing or helping us.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 042016

"transmission recall" my Nissan Maxima has 146,000 and has never been hot rodded. I have only drove it around town and to and from work. Recently while driving the transmission just gave out while driving. I was noticing some weird shifting problems between 2nd and 3rd gear. I never really noticed that bad but it was there. So when I was driving the transmission gave out in the middle of traffic. I coudnt go anywhere and cars where having to go around me. I had to get my car towed to my house because I wasn't going to pay for this. I started reaschering and found that I am not the only one. A lot of people are complaining. This is an evident problem that needs fixed.

- Rupert, ID, USA

Nov 182015

My son bought a Nissan Maxima in Sept, 2015. The transmission started jerking and sometimes falling out of gear, in November. I had someone change the transmission fluid several times, at once, because that had been reported to possible help. It lessened the problem but did not get rid of it. The car has not been driven much since Jan, 2016, as my son has gone into the army. But the problem is still happening, and the 6300 dollar car we bought in Sept 2015, carfax offered us 1500 for it. The problem happens anywhere, after about 20 minutes of driving. It is not constant, but happens about 80% of the time.

- Vine Grove, KY, USA

Nov 252008

Exhaust/emission - catalytic converter failed and makes terrible noise - not fixed yet. Dealer says, car will work without any problems at 103,000 miles (8th year) body frame - under carriage on driver side rusted, with a bulge. Dealer said, rusting it not enough, you should be able to put the screw driver or finger through the rusted portion. 35000 miles ( after 5years and 2 days) transmission - it jerks and is very dangerous on the road. Repair estimation is around $3500 from the dealer. When the car comes to a stop in the traffic light, then sometimes, it does not move. After accelerating a bit, it just jumps. It is very very hard to go in a stop and go traffic. So I maintain a certain distance keeping this in mind. Nissan motor corporation does not care for any of the issues. Dealer comes up with one or the other reason. Until now they have never worked conducively with the customers. 103,000 (9th year.) engine - the timing chain failed, engine was making the sound of a railroad. Costed a lot to get it fixed, and after that, sound is not completely gone. After multiple compliants, they are not bothered. They say, use only 93 octance. 103,000(9th year)

- Randolph, NJ, USA

May 232016

Transmission slips and jerks

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 192015

Hard shift transmission starting at approximately 130K miles. Happens during gearing down. Transmission slippage gearing up after a slow down. Issue continues to get worse after transmission oil changed.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Nov 232015

Once the car has been driven for 30 minutes or more, after a stop for a red light or stop sign the transmission will "jump" as it shifts to the next higher gear usually when just at. 20 -30 miles an hour. My car has mileage of 106,000 and has been doing this for approx. 6 months off & on. Its seldom that I drive it any significant distance & that's when it is noticed.

- Clinton, TN, USA

Mar 082016

Driving down the interstate, merging into the exit lane, I pressed the brake pedal to slow down to the light, as soon as I tap the gas pedal the car jumps out of gear and revs to approximately 6,000 RPM. Car then violently kicks back into gear, more than likely damaging all motor mounts and transmission mounts. It does the same thing when driving around small bends and taking turns. It put my car into limp mode in the middle of the street. This has been occurring for roughly the past 6 months

- Jacksonville, FL, USA

Mar 082016

Got the car in 2012 and was doing fine for a while until the end of 2014. Car had started jerking when switching between park, drive, and reverse and would also stall in between. By February, the car started revving and stalling during stops and was bad when I was in traffic. I had to try and get above 25 mph because below that, the car would seriously act up. Eventually stopped driving until this year when I took it to a shop to get checked out. While driving there the car revved and stall at every light and I almost hit the back of a car when it decided to rev at a 4 way stop on a hill. It's either jerking, stalling, or revving. I know it's a transmission issue and will be a costly fix. I honestly don't have the money for it. In between all this, the paint has severely started to fade and I have noticed other Nissan in my area going through the same issues. Also, why does the airbag light come on even someone is sitting in the passenger seat? the car just has been one issue after the other. Will not be purchasing another Nissan.

- Lena, MS, USA

Mar 012016

Transmission failed at 131,000 miles. Was at the school to pick up my four children and transmission started grinding and ended up having it towed. I am a full time student, have a full time job, single mom of four children stranded without a vehicle. This was the third Nissan I have bought because they are supposed to be very reliable vehicles. I called Nissan because there had been recalls on the same year, make, and model but was told it did not cover my specific car but I have had the same problems as all the other individuals involved in the recall.

- Crockett, TX, USA

Feb 292016

I just recently purchased a used 2006 Nissan Maxima sl 5spd automatic for my wife in excellent condition with 144,000 miles. It had been kept up with a good car fax. When I test drove it I made sure to pay special attention to the transmission & how it shifted from 1st to 2nd & downshift from those gears since I heard nothing but bad stories about these cars from 2004-06' it shifted smoothly. Seemed to have no issues of what I've read in reviews. I thought great! this is the car my wife likes a lot & how it drive! we take it home.. registered & insured then a few days later it starts! my wife says it shifted/downshifted hard a few times on here way to work which is only 8miles away on back roads. We bought it from a private seller so I don't know if lemon law applies" I came across a site that had simalar complaints & that Nissan hasn't addressed the issue nor sent out any recalls. So that led me to here, after reading a complaint someone said to register my issue with NHTSA. So I hope our voices will be heard. Because overall it's a great car! but if Nissan made a mistake" owe up to it! and please fix it! don't try & pull the wool over everyone's eyes! well thanks for listening. I hope they resolve this problem.

- Coventry, RI, USA

Jan 122016

Transmission slips, mainly between 1st/2nd gears and also in reverse. The rpms rev up high and car jerks forward violently. One time I parked the vehicle and after I took my foot off the gas, it reved up and drove onto the curb. Driving on highways is fine but city driving us a nightmare. It's even shut off at stop lights.

- Holland, PA, USA

Dec 012015

Drive train is slipping and making a loud banging noise when starting to move in low gear

- Highland, IN, USA

Jan 082016

Once the transmission gets warm it's very dangerous. Bad stalling from reverse to drive and once you slow to round a curve and go to accelerate again. It slams really hard shifting. Causes a bad jerk. If you are driving in rain, let out of the gas to start I to a small curve, then when you give it has again. If you are not careful you will have a high rmp when it finally shifts back into drive it will cause you to spin. Possibly could cause an accident.

- Crab Orchard, KY, USA