CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

2006 Nissan Maxima drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 1 of 12)

Jan 012015

Maxima

My 2006 Nissan Maxima 3.5sl has a transmission that's going out it slips and slams into gear all the time only 110,000 miles.

- Plainfield, IL, USA

Nov 012016

Maxima

Hard shifting when engine is at operating temperature when shifting from reverse or neutral to drive. Saw many other complaints of the exact same nature through Nissan forums.

- Fort Myers, FL, USA

Sep 302016

Maxima

Transmission, hesitation between gears, rough shifting, sudden stops or diminished acceleration, in city driving after 1/2 hr of driving.

- Schenectady, NY, USA

Sep 242016

Maxima

The transmission is acting up as with all other Maximas. It's jerking and slipping on the street.it's really dangerous to drive. Called up the dealer and new transmission would cost $3000.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 052010

Maxima

I brought my 2006 Maxima new and had all kind of problems with the car at the very beginning. Everything was under warranty, but when my car had about 62000 miles the car started slipping and missing gears so I took it back to the dealership and they told me that my transmission wasn't cover under the power train because there were 2 types of transmission put into the Maxima and the one that my car had was not cover under the power train. I called Nissan corporate offices and didn't get any satisfaction. I had to replace the trans and many other things on this car. I would not ever or suggest that anyone buy a Nissan. I believed that Nissan knew about this problem before the first complaint was ever made. Same on you Nissan

- Chicago, IL, USA

Oct 142016

Maxima

With 152193 miles the transmission began slipping and jerking badly when accelerating and decelerating. Took it into the transmission shop and was told the transmission needed to be replaced.

- Lees Summit, MO, USA

Oct 162016

Maxima

Bought the car 1 month back and the transmission has been acting up.it stalls and jumps into drive.this problem is happening with all Maxima owners. Sometimes the gear slips too. It's very expensive to repair, please force a recall on this problem.

- Toledo, OH, USA

Sep 302016

Maxima

Transmission does not function properly. Harsh upshifts or downshifts during moderate acceleration or slowing down.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jan 012010

Maxima

The contact owns a 2006 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the gear shifter failed. While attemtping to shift gears, the shifter locked. The dealer diagnosed that the water pump leaked water into the transmission and caused the gear shifter to fail. The transmission assembly was replaced, but the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer was not notified. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- Vinton, LA, USA

Sep 022016

Maxima

The 2006 Nissan Maxima has a major issue of violently jerking after 100K miles, I have seen reports that it does this even before it reaches such mileage. I have a 2006 Nissan Maxima worst car I have ever bought I will never ever buy another Nissan product. The car violently jerks into gear when coming to a stop or driving off, this problem has been identified by many owners and Nissan has done nothing. I have spent 1800 hundred dollars replacing the engine mounts and the car still jerks. The car is paid for and I will not spend anymore replacing the transmission because that would cost more than what the car is worth.

- Va Beach, VA, USA

Feb 162016

Maxima

"takata recall" transmission slipping and wiring on headlights going out all this going on while in motion.

- St. Thomas, PA, USA

Transmission went at 121000 miles now a year later slipping again

- Naples, FL, USA

May 292016

Maxima

Hi all, I went to smoky mountains for memorial day long weekend end and I was on the 11 miles dragon tail road. My 2006 Nissan Maxima had been acting weird by jumping when the gear is shifting automatically but I didn't take it hard because my mechanic said it is not a transmission issue and I trusted him, but that day was a scary day while driving my vehicle was jumping automatically more than usual. I thought that I would fall from the mountain and luckily my friend asked me to take a U turn after half the road. Everybody in the car were so scared and paranoid after the car acted in such way. We kept our lives in our hands and left hope on god to save us till we get down the road. The way my car acted on the dragon tail road in the mountains freaked us all. We initially thought this might be due to bad gas with additives may be which filled near smoky mountains, but got confirmed today after reading multiple issues and complaints in reference to the same problem via many sources on 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima and other vehicles. Why is the North american government who ensures the safety about these vehicles not even taking any action in reference to the same. I saw that many people complained on this issue and no one got any luck on the solution. Also, we are not asking to give us a new car. All that we are asking is justice for our hard earned money which we spent on this junk Nissan cars. I think Nissan holds a junk yard and makes all their transmissions from the junk yard parts. Also, this manufacturer should be held responsible and penalized to the maximum so that no other personal can have a bad experience as me. Imagine if I had hit somebody or I myself fell from the mountain due to the Nissan's mistake in manufacturing these defective transmissions. God, please punish these people who are playing with our lives as no one else is hearing or helping us.

- Durham, NC, USA

Jun 042016

Maxima

"transmission recall" my Nissan Maxima has 146,000 and has never been hot rodded. I have only drove it around town and to and from work. Recently while driving the transmission just gave out while driving. I was noticing some weird shifting problems between 2nd and 3rd gear. I never really noticed that bad but it was there. So when I was driving the transmission gave out in the middle of traffic. I coudnt go anywhere and cars where having to go around me. I had to get my car towed to my house because I wasn't going to pay for this. I started reaschering and found that I am not the only one. A lot of people are complaining. This is an evident problem that needs fixed.

- Rupert, ID, USA

Nov 182015

Maxima

My son bought a Nissan Maxima in Sept, 2015. The transmission started jerking and sometimes falling out of gear, in November. I had someone change the transmission fluid several times, at once, because that had been reported to possible help. It lessened the problem but did not get rid of it. The car has not been driven much since Jan, 2016, as my son has gone into the army. But the problem is still happening, and the 6300 dollar car we bought in Sept 2015, carfax offered us 1500 for it. The problem happens anywhere, after about 20 minutes of driving. It is not constant, but happens about 80% of the time.

- Vine Grove, KY, USA

Nov 252008

Maxima

Exhaust/emission - catalytic converter failed and makes terrible noise - not fixed yet. Dealer says, car will work without any problems at 103,000 miles (8th year) body frame - under carriage on driver side rusted, with a bulge. Dealer said, rusting it not enough, you should be able to put the screw driver or finger through the rusted portion. 35000 miles ( after 5years and 2 days) transmission - it jerks and is very dangerous on the road. Repair estimation is around $3500 from the dealer. When the car comes to a stop in the traffic light, then sometimes, it does not move. After accelerating a bit, it just jumps. It is very very hard to go in a stop and go traffic. So I maintain a certain distance keeping this in mind. Nissan motor corporation does not care for any of the issues. Dealer comes up with one or the other reason. Until now they have never worked conducively with the customers. 103,000 (9th year.) engine - the timing chain failed, engine was making the sound of a railroad. Costed a lot to get it fixed, and after that, sound is not completely gone. After multiple compliants, they are not bothered. They say, use only 93 octance. 103,000(9th year)

- Randolph, NJ, USA

May 232016

Transmission slips and jerks

- Naples, FL, USA

Oct 192015

Maxima

Hard shift transmission starting at approximately 130K miles. Happens during gearing down. Transmission slippage gearing up after a slow down. Issue continues to get worse after transmission oil changed.

- Lagrange, GA, USA

Nov 232015

Maxima

Once the car has been driven for 30 minutes or more, after a stop for a red light or stop sign the transmission will "jump" as it shifts to the next higher gear usually when just at. 20 -30 miles an hour. My car has mileage of 106,000 and has been doing this for approx. 6 months off & on. Its seldom that I drive it any significant distance & that's when it is noticed.

- Clinton, TN, USA