CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

7.9

$2,917.00

2. replace transmission (5 reports)
  3. yes i will have to pay the $3,800.00 to get my car fixed (4 reports)
  4. replace drive shaft (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Oct 172016

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

This is my first car and the transmission is acting up strange in the first month. I don't wanna be rude but it's the fault of nissan so they should recall and fix the transmission free of cost.Why do we have to pay 2k+ for their fault?

- , Toledo, OH, USA

Jun 012015

Maxima SL 3.5L

This my second Nissan vehicle. 2005 Frontier and 2006 Maxima. Both had transmission issues. 2005 Frontier wound up being a recall. hopefully The 2006 Maxima will be a recall

- , Standish, ME, USA

Apr 012016

Maxima SE 3.5L

THE TRANSMISSION ON MY 2006 MAXIMA JUMPS WHEN SHIFTING TO 2ND GEAR , TO FIX IT WOULD COST ME ABOUT $2800.00, I BELIEVE IS VERY UNFAIR FOR NISSAN NOT TO DO A RECALL SINCE THIS IS AN ONGOING PROBLEM ON MOST MAXIMAS FROM 2004-TO 2006 MODELS, ALSO MY MECHANIC TELLS ME THAT I NEED A NEW RADIATOR THIS WILL JUST ADD TO THE COST TO GET THIS CAR RUNNING PROPERLY.

- , West Roxbury, MA, USA

Nov 232015

Maxima SE 3.2L V6

I may be arriving late to this party since I don't put many miles on my car and I've had my 2006 Max since 2008. I don't drive a lot since I live close to work and I do a lot of my shopping online. However, shortly after hitting 105,000 miles, I've noticed on longer trips where the transmission gets warmed up, it will jerk into second gear after I try to accelerate after having just stopped or slowed down. This is very frustrating and being a single woman, my worst pet peeve is dealing with car repairmen. The class action lawsuit that was filed in 2011 was decertified in December 2014. Is anyone aware of any other class action that has been filed since there are so many of us with the same issue?

- , Clinton, TN, USA

Dec 092015

Maxima SE 3.2L

After taking very good care of this car with regular maintenance and oil changes every 3,000 miles, it's very disappointing that this very serious problem has arisen. With so many reported similar complaints of the same problem surely this is a manufacturer defect and not a car owner lack of maintaining the vehicle. The problem has caused the "motor mounts" to now be defective. Estimates for this ranges from $600-1,000. Combined with the estimated $3,000 transmission repair, that is $4,000 that I do not have nor can afford. Nissan should step forward and fix this problem at their expense.

- , Las Vegas, USA

Dec 222015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Bought this car from a private seller. It's my fault for not doing my due diligence in getting the car fully inspected...and for trusting a Craigslist seller, however the seller did not fully disclose all problems with the car upon me asking. There is no possible way he did not know about this problem. Of course I was not aware of this problem until after purchasing. This was a difficult problem to discover as it did not reveal itself during the test drive and is most noticeable after driving the car for a long period of time ( ~30min or more). Also, the problem is only noticeable driving through the city.

Specifically the transmission seems to slip slightly in the transitions between 1st and 2nd, and 2nd and 3rd gear, both upshifting and downshifting. This car also has the notorious problem of an occasional delayed and violent shift going from reverse to drive. I had a bad solenoid replaced which seemed to make the shifting problems less severe, however they are still occurring. I suspect it may be an issue with the clutch. Not sure how much it may cost to fix. I paid $4500 cash for the car and one week later I have already put $1500 back into it in repairs. As a recent college grad, I can't afford a $3000 transmission fix. I NEED A RECALL NISSAN!

- , Indianapolis, IN, USA

Dec 312015

Maxima

So annoying and costly... I noticed a clunk, pause action as I slowed down dramatically from highway to exit ramp. Feels like the automatic engine is shifting like someone new to a manual car. Mechanic tested also by stepping hard on accelerator. Intermittent and hugely annoying when you read online that Nissan knows about this issue and has not done a recall. I have been Nissan loyal for 30 years, but I'm going to have to find some other car brand to last my family the next 30 plus years.

- , Charlotte, NC, USA

Sep 222015

Maxima SE 3.5L

AFTER BUYING THIS CAR FROM A TRANSMISSION SHOP THAT HAD REPAIRED THE CAR FOR THE SAME REASON, 3 MONTHS LATER THE PROBLEM REARS ITS UGLY HEAD. SO I DID MY RESEARCH ON THESE TRANSMISSIONS. SSDC SAME S*** DIFFERENT CAR. IS NISSAN STUPID? ALL THEIR CARS WITH THESE TRANSMISSIONS HAVE EXACTLY THE SAME PROBLEMS. RECALL AND FIX OR INSERT A REDESIGN. WHEN THE TRANSMISSION GOES WHILE CROSSING A TRAIN TRACKS THEY WILL PAY DEARLY FRONT PAGE NEWS IS ALL I SAY.

- , Scotch Plains, NJ, USA

May 052015

Maxima ES 3.5L

This is horrible, all Nissan tells you to do is buy another transmission. Which is not acceptable, I have ALWAYS taken care of my car. Oil changes on the regular, also tune up/check up too. I have put so much money into car it would be dumb just to let it go. Ive changed the oil cooler recently which cost a total of $732.13 because somehow it pushed water all through my transmission. Have had it flushed twice since then which was $150 each time. Now the jerking and acceleration problem have started. This is an absolute NIGHTMARE!!!! Tomorrow I will take is to AAMCO to see what I can do, but the question is do I really want to pay all that money and the problem may happen again?!?!?

- , Ruskin, FL, USA

Apr 222015

Maxima SE 3.5L V6

Hard shifting when going from either neutral to drive or from reverse into drive. I've become use to having to give it a second or two when going between neutral, reverse, and drive from a stop or when I'm backing out of my garage however just simply being extra considerate to make sure it has shifted before pressing the gas pedal no longer matter. It will hard shift into drive without touching the gas. I have an extended warranty on the car and I'm hoping it will cover a transmission replacement however I'm not confident in that hope.

I've had a motor mount replaced, solenoids and sensors replaced without resolution of the transmission issue.

If my extended warranty will not cover it, then I'm strongly considering letting it go when my wife and I file bankruptcy in the next couple of months.

- , Mesa, AZ, USA

Feb 032014

Maxima SL 3.5L V6

We were first told that it was a solenoid that was being stuck. An $800 fix. That lasted 3 months and it was back to same issue of it sluggishly and then violently shifting into the next gear. Not an issue going in reverse, but definitely issue going into drive. The fix for the transmission is replacing it.

- , Lynnwood, WA, USA

Jul 012014

Maxima 3.5L

I have purchased (6) six Nissan vehicles:

2000 Nissan Maxima, 2002 Nissan Maxima, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 2005 Nissan Armanda, 2006 Nissan Sentra, and 2006 Nissan Maxima.

So right now I am a very very dissatisfied customer. Two months, July 2014, ago while backing in a parking space at Mother's Nursing Home visit my car jerked to the point that I thought I had hit something. But after driving for a couple of days I realized that the transmission is failing and not operating like it should be. I took the vehicle to Nissan Action in August 2014 for service and paid $150.00 to see what the issue was. Not one sales representative informed me that Nissan was having major issues with my car. I could’ve at least saved that money to put on the major maintenance bill that Nissan is not going to assist me in getting my car fix. The representative told me that I would probably need a new transmission. I am a TN National Guard soldier and a police officer. I will definite put the word out that Nissan is not trying to assist customers with correcting the problem and giving them no discount on the maintenance. I will not purchase another Nissan unless the company honor their satisfaction guarantee/ recall service.

NISSAN SHOULD AT LEAST HELP PAY SOME OF THE COST SINCE THEY REFUSED TO RECALL THE VEHICLES.

Update from Oct 6, 2014: After purchasing 3 Maxima’s, 2 Altima’s, 2 Sentra’s and 1 Armada Nissan they have let me down. My 2006 Nissan Maxima transmission went out at 90,000 miles. I have supported and bragged on being a Nissan owner, but unfortunately it will not happen again. I can honestly say Nissan has stood behind their products for the past 20 years but has failed me this go around. I purchased my Maxima brand new with 33 miles not to include a one owner driver. For the main part of the heart of the car (transmission) to go out is just a disgrace to all Nissan products. I have numerous siblings, 29 years in the military, friends, and over 22 years working for a government agency. I can promise you, I will definite let everyone know I come in contact to sale their Nissan car or not to buy one in the near future. Nissan will have to go through want GMC is going through to realize that mistreating a customer will cost them in the long run. Sad think about the deal that want honor paying a part of the maintenance either knowingly it cost $3,800.00 to replace the transmission with 90,000.

NOTE: The sale reps in Nashville are not professional and just don’t care. Thanks for nothing Melissa Lianko, Ebony (615) 725-7751 and (615) 725-7757 at Consumer Affairs Representative Nissan North America, Inc.

- , Hermitage, TN, USA

Jul 222013

Maxima LS 3.2L V6

If I only knew then what I now know, I would have not purchased this vehicle. When the jerking started I was told it was the motor mounts, I had all of them replaced (spent about $800.00), This did not solve the problem. Then I was told that I needed to have a transmission flush (spent another $350.00). This too did not solve the problem. Now I am told that the drive shaft and the catalytic converter need to be changed (estimated cost $3,000.00). I do not know where to turn and to add insult to injury, I need to replace the driver side head light module (cost $387.00). This truly is the worst car I have ever purchased.

- , bridgeport, CT, USA

May 052013

Maxima 3.5L Se

I wish I'd seen this forum before buying my 2006 Nissan Maxima. Hard lesson learned!. Purchased May 3, 2013 and right away notice slight jerking, but my husband thought I was having buyer remorse, since I wanted a different car and he insisted on this one.

Slipping like you all described consistently got worse and then the hard shifting from reverse to drive. I've only had it for 10 months, still have 5 more years to pay for it and I'm stuck with the piece of junk.

Now the issue is very bad at 67k miles, and lowest estimate I've gotten is $2,500 to rebuild transmission. Like all of you, I can't help but wonder why Nissan isn't doing something about it if it's a known issues. Absolutely shameful.

I will get the repairs done and finish paying off the car, but definitely will never purchase another one of their cars.

- , Antioch, TN, USA

Feb 052013

Maxima SE

This is my second complaint on the 2006 Maxima. The first complaint I reported was the broken engine mounts. After fixing that my repair shop is now stating that the valve body needs to be replaced. However, they aren't even certain that that will fix the problem.

Planning to bring to the dealership for them to confirm that that is indeed the problem.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 142011

Maxima SL 3.5L

Extremely disappointed that the $36K vehicle, which was just paid off, is having transmission problems. Due to other issues, I wasn't planning on purchasing another Nissan - the transmission issue has cemented that decision.

Transmission is lagging upon normal acceleration. Hard shift going into drive as well as delay going into drive.

- , Keller, TX, USA