CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

$1,150.00

2006 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

May 052013

Maxima 3.5L Se

I wish I'd seen this forum before buying my 2006 Nissan Maxima. Hard lesson learned!. Purchased May 3, 2013 and right away notice slight jerking, but my husband thought I was having buyer remorse, since I wanted a different car and he insisted on this one.

Slipping like you all described consistently got worse and then the hard shifting from reverse to drive. I've only had it for 10 months, still have 5 more years to pay for it and I'm stuck with the piece of junk.

Now the issue is very bad at 67k miles, and lowest estimate I've gotten is $2,500 to rebuild transmission. Like all of you, I can't help but wonder why Nissan isn't doing something about it if it's a known issues. Absolutely shameful.

I will get the repairs done and finish paying off the car, but definitely will never purchase another one of their cars.

- , Antioch, TN, USA

Feb 052013

Maxima SE

This is my second complaint on the 2006 Maxima. The first complaint I reported was the broken engine mounts. After fixing that my repair shop is now stating that the valve body needs to be replaced. However, they aren't even certain that that will fix the problem.

Planning to bring to the dealership for them to confirm that that is indeed the problem.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 142011

Maxima SL 3.5L

Extremely disappointed that the $36K vehicle, which was just paid off, is having transmission problems. Due to other issues, I wasn't planning on purchasing another Nissan - the transmission issue has cemented that decision.

Transmission is lagging upon normal acceleration. Hard shift going into drive as well as delay going into drive.

- , Keller, Texas, USA