CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2004-2006 Nissan Maxima has widespread transmission problems. It starts with the vehicle jerking when shifting, & progresses to full-blown transmission failure.

8.8

$2,475.00

2. replace drive shaft (1 reports)
  3. yes i will have to pay the $3,800.00 to get my car fixed (1 reports)
2006 Nissan Maxima transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Nissan Maxima:

2006 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments

Jul 012014

Maxima 3.5L

I have purchased (6) six Nissan vehicles:

2000 Nissan Maxima, 2002 Nissan Maxima, 2005 Nissan Sentra, 2005 Nissan Armanda, 2006 Nissan Sentra, and 2006 Nissan Maxima.

So right now I am a very very dissatisfied customer. Two months, July 2014, ago while backing in a parking space at Mother's Nursing Home visit my car jerked to the point that I thought I had hit something. But after driving for a couple of days I realized that the transmission is failing and not operating like it should be. I took the vehicle to Nissan Action in August 2014 for service and paid $150.00 to see what the issue was. Not one sales representative informed me that Nissan was having major issues with my car. I could’ve at least saved that money to put on the major maintenance bill that Nissan is not going to assist me in getting my car fix. The representative told me that I would probably need a new transmission. I am a TN National Guard soldier and a police officer. I will definite put the word out that Nissan is not trying to assist customers with correcting the problem and giving them no discount on the maintenance. I will not purchase another Nissan unless the company honor their satisfaction guarantee/ recall service.

NISSAN SHOULD AT LEAST HELP PAY SOME OF THE COST SINCE THEY REFUSED TO RECALL THE VEHICLES.

Update from Oct 6, 2014: After purchasing 3 Maxima’s, 2 Altima’s, 2 Sentra’s and 1 Armada Nissan they have let me down. My 2006 Nissan Maxima transmission went out at 90,000 miles. I have supported and bragged on being a Nissan owner, but unfortunately it will not happen again. I can honestly say Nissan has stood behind their products for the past 20 years but has failed me this go around. I purchased my Maxima brand new with 33 miles not to include a one owner driver. For the main part of the heart of the car (transmission) to go out is just a disgrace to all Nissan products. I have numerous siblings, 29 years in the military, friends, and over 22 years working for a government agency. I can promise you, I will definite let everyone know I come in contact to sale their Nissan car or not to buy one in the near future. Nissan will have to go through want GMC is going through to realize that mistreating a customer will cost them in the long run. Sad think about the deal that want honor paying a part of the maintenance either knowingly it cost $3,800.00 to replace the transmission with 90,000.

NOTE: The sale reps in Nashville are not professional and just don’t care. Thanks for nothing Melissa Lianko, Ebony (615) 725-7751 and (615) 725-7757 at Consumer Affairs Representative Nissan North America, Inc.

- , Hermitage, TN, USA

Jul 222013

Maxima LS 3.2L V6

If I only knew then what I now know, I would have not purchased this vehicle. When the jerking started I was told it was the motor mounts, I had all of them replaced (spent about $800.00), This did not solve the problem. Then I was told that I needed to have a transmission flush (spent another $350.00). This too did not solve the problem. Now I am told that the drive shaft and the catalytic converter need to be changed (estimated cost $3,000.00). I do not know where to turn and to add insult to injury, I need to replace the driver side head light module (cost $387.00). This truly is the worst car I have ever purchased.

- , bridgeport, Connecticut, USA

May 052013

Maxima 3.5L Se

I wish I'd seen this forum before buying my 2006 Nissan Maxima. Hard lesson learned!. Purchased May 3, 2013 and right away notice slight jerking, but my husband thought I was having buyer remorse, since I wanted a different car and he insisted on this one.

Slipping like you all described consistently got worse and then the hard shifting from reverse to drive. I've only had it for 10 months, still have 5 more years to pay for it and I'm stuck with the piece of junk.

Now the issue is very bad at 67k miles, and lowest estimate I've gotten is $2,500 to rebuild transmission. Like all of you, I can't help but wonder why Nissan isn't doing something about it if it's a known issues. Absolutely shameful.

I will get the repairs done and finish paying off the car, but definitely will never purchase another one of their cars.

- , Antioch, TN, USA

Feb 052013

Maxima SE

This is my second complaint on the 2006 Maxima. The first complaint I reported was the broken engine mounts. After fixing that my repair shop is now stating that the valve body needs to be replaced. However, they aren't even certain that that will fix the problem.

Planning to bring to the dealership for them to confirm that that is indeed the problem.

- , Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jun 142011

Maxima SL 3.5L

Extremely disappointed that the $36K vehicle, which was just paid off, is having transmission problems. Due to other issues, I wasn't planning on purchasing another Nissan - the transmission issue has cemented that decision.

Transmission is lagging upon normal acceleration. Hard shift going into drive as well as delay going into drive.

- , Keller, TX, USA