CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Nissan Maxima is a very good reliable vehicle. Beware of Maximas from 2009, and 2004-2006 though.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix!

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the transmission problem starting with the 2007 model.

For the 2010 Maxima, so far so good!

2010 Nissan Maxima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Maxima:

2010 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 3 of 4)

Nov 182014

Maxima 6-cyl

The electronic steering wheel lock on the vehicle has malfunctioned and will not allow the steering wheel to lock. This ultimately prevents the car from starting do to the push to start feature. Nissan released a warranty extension for the 2009 model Maxima which is identical to 2010 model that I have, but the replacement part for my vehicle is not covered under the warranty.please investigate this issue because there are almost 100 similar complaints listed on NHTSA website.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

Nov 012014

Maxima 6-cyl

Our 2010 Nissan Maxima would not start. This presented an unsafe situation in which my wife was virtually stranded late in the afternoon with inclement weather. The ignition switch would not start the car when depressed and the steering wheel was locked. We attempted to use two separate key fobs for our car but neither worked. We had our car towed to the Nissan dealership and they stated that it had a defective steering lock and therefore would not start. The parts needed and part numbers are shown below: ** steering lock (some referenced parts sources online also refer to it as an ignition lock assembly) (1 ea) part #: 48700-9N00B ** lock bolt/screw (4 ea) part # 48703-06F0A we were quoted an astronomical price of $1,650 dollars to replace the steering lock. It just seems outrageous and unbelievable! I read several complaints about the same issue online for owners of this same type of Nissan vehicle. Many had the same problem arise at roughly the same recorded mileage. This appears to be a mechanical defect that Nissan has been aware of but has done nothing to remedy the problem. I know of absolutely no recalls for this problem. I believe that this problem constitutes an inherent mechanical defect in the design and construction of the steering and ignition system which presents a hazard for owners/operators, an unrealistic cost for an issue that actually should not occur, and leaves owners/operators stranded and because the system won't operate and turn on the vehicle. I see it as a major safety issue which should be examined closely for an immediate recall. I ask that you please take action with Nissan to remedy this issue as quickly as possible. Thank you.

- Bonaire, GA, USA

Oct 242014

Maxima 6-cyl

The anti theft steering wheel lock switch failed. The car will not start. Car was towed to a Nissan dealer for repair. Nissan has extended the warranty for the same defect in model year 2009 Maximas and Altima. But they say the problem does not exist in 2010 models. Obviously it does.

- West Harrison , NY, USA

Oct 192014

Maxima 6-cyl

The electronic steering wheel lock on the vehicle has malfunctioned and will not allow the steering wheel to lock. This ultimately prevents the car from starting do to the push to start feature. Nissan released a warranty extension for the 2009 model Maxima which is identical to 2010 model that I have, but the replacement part for my vehicle is not covered under the warranty. The new part will cost me $965 out of pocket. Apparently this is a known problem with Nissan Maxima vehicles. Please investigate this issue because there are almost 100 similar complaints listed on NHTSA website.

- Ocean Springs , MS, USA

Oct 192014

Maxima 6-cyl

I drove my 2010 Nissan max to church...the vehicle was working perfectly and we had just recently had it serviced. When I got in vehicle to leave church the vehicle would not start. The key fob would lock and unlock the door but nothing else would come on. There was a light on the dash showing a key but nothing else worked. I had the vehicle towed to the Nissan dealership the next day and was informed the electrical steering column lock switch was not working and needed to be replaced. Repair would cost $1100. I was informed no recalls for 2010 but 2009 Altima and Maxima had same issues and recall was done for that year only. I am so upset and disappointed with Nissan especially after reading all the other complaints as well. We have always owned Nissan but I am totally reconsidering my next vehicle purchase.

- Belleville, IL, USA

Oct 152014

Maxima 6-cyl

The car after being driven to work and parked in garage stopped working. After leaving the car for a few hours, while at work, I realized the car wouldn't start and like others the car lock sign was on. Reading further about it, it is a very common problem with Nissan's electrical steering control lock and has been reported by many others. After towing the car, the mechanic mentioned the same but Nissan doesn't cover this model. It covers 2009 Maxima and Altima, even some other models but not this one. It is costing me over 1200 dollars for the repair, that include 650 dollars for the part, 400 dollars for labor as this is extensive, and then taxes and change. Nissan needs to reimburse its customers for such faulty parts.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Oct 122014

Maxima

My car wouldn't start, so I called aaa and they tested the battery and determined the battery was not the issue. No sound, no power and the key indicator light was on, clearly not recognizing my key fob. I got a ride home 30 miles away and returned with my alternate key fob thinking it could be a key fob battery issue. The alternate key fob also did not work. I had the car towed to the local Nissan dealer and they said it was a problem with the steering wheel lock, not releasing, and the replacement part is $895 and not in stock. Many of the Nissan forums I looked up on line also experience this problem, too. Hello is anyone listening or taking note" shouldn't this many complaints equate to a parts recall?"

- Costa Mesa, CA, USA

Sep 212014

Maxima 6-cyl

No activation of the ignition system. After following all trouble shooting advice in the car's manual, I towed the car to dealer where they flagged an issue with the steering lock control unit (part# 487009N00B) and it needed to be replaced. This is all part of the vehicle anti-theft immobilizer system. The cost to replace this unit was $1041.17. I feel this is a serious safety flaw in the 2010 Nissan Maxima. This was a fully functioning car (except for anti-theft circuit glitch) that left me stranded in a situation where my car could have been towed by the city. Nissan promotes how safe, reliable and economical their cars are, but the anti-theft system can disable the vehicle leaving driver stranded with only one option, which is, to be towed to a dealer because of ant-theft system glitches. This is particularly dangerous especially to female drivers.I feel that Nissan should come up with an override code or device that will allow a driver to escape from potentially dangerous situations that were created by Nissan's vehicle immobilizer system. Especially when the car is fully functional except for an anti-theft immobilizing circuit falsely telling that the vehicle is not ready to start when it is. I believe this is a serious safety flaw in their vehicle security system.

- Jefferson Hills, PA, USA

Aug 292014

Maxima 6-cyl

Electric steering column lock malfunctioned. The "key" light is on and will not start.

- Madison, WI, USA

Feb 102014

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to start. The vehicle was towed to the dealer, who stated that the ignition switch would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was repaired. The failure mileage was 62,285. Updated 5/27/14

- San Antonio , TX, USA

Mar 062014

Maxima 6-cyl

The steering wheel lock became faulty and vehicle will not start. The same part number of steering wheel lock was put into the Nissan Maxima, Nissan GT-R, and Nissan 370Z. The part was recalled in the GT-R, however it hasn't been recalled in the Maxima or 370Z. The total work for the repair is $1300. Nissan should be responsible for the costs of the repair due to a faulty steering wheel lock. Nissan recently came out with a revision to the steering wheel lock because the part was faulty.

- Secane, PA, USA

Mar 022014

Maxima 6-cyl

Steering lock mechanism failure. Unable to start vehicle, not covered under warranty for 2010 model year, same part failed in 2009 model year, warranty extended for 2009 only.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Feb 202014

Maxima 6-cyl

The steering wheel lock broke not allowing car to start.

- Rincon, GA, USA

Dec 052013

Maxima 6-cyl

There was absolutely no activation of the ignition system. After following all trouble shooting advice in the car's manual, I towed the car to dealer where they flagged an issue with the steering lock control unit (part# 487009N00B) and it needed to be replaced. This is all part of the vehicle anti-theft immobilizer system. The cost to replace this unit was $703.43. I feel this is a serious safety flaw in the 2010 Nissan Maxima. 1. this was a fully functioning car (except for anti-theft circuit glitch) that left my pregnant wife stranded in freezing temps in an empty school parking lot late in the evening. 2. Nissan promotes how safe, reliable and economical their cars are, but the anti-theft system can disable the vehicle leaving driver stranded with only one option, which is, to be towed to a dealer because of ant-theft system glitches. 3. the car, being economical, should not require such an expensive repair because of an anti-theft device circuit malfunction. 4. there are several conditions that can occur that will result in the Nissan Maxima becoming immobilized stranding drivers. I am stating only one. This is particularly dangerous especially to female drivers. 5. I feel that Nissan should come up with an override code or device that will allow a driver to escape from potentially dangerous situations that were created by Nissan's vehicle immobilizer system. Especially when the car is fully functional except for an anti-theft immobilizing circuit falsely telling that the vehicle is not ready to start when it is. I believe this is a serious safety flaw in their vehicle security system.

- Cedar Park, TX, USA

Feb 092014

Maxima 6-cyl

Arrived at work on 9 Feb 2014, car was working perfectly fine. When it was time to go home, car would not start and a red blinking light with a keylock appeared on dashboard, an attempt was also made with additional key to no success. After researching problem online, it is a well known problem with the automatic steering wheel lock mechanism where it just stops working for no apparent reason. It was recalled on all 2009 Nissan Maxima and Altima, mine is a 2010 manufactured in Sept 2009 and the part number is the same as the 2009 Nissan Maxima model. Car was towed to nearby Nissan dealer where they stated my VIN number did not show up as a potential candidate for the 2009 issue extended warranty. I paid $1272 for the repair bill where it is clearly a factory defect and have had zero luck with Nissan customer affairs. They simply denied my request stating that there is no known problem with 2010 and needed more people to come forward. I continued my quest online to search other drivers who had similar issues and have found an entire forum dedicated to this same problem with everyone having the same outcome and having to pay out of pocket expenses for a well documented issue with this model. When car was at Nissan, the option was pay $1200 to fix the issue or leave the car there, there was no other option given or provided as an alternative.

- Salem, MA, USA

Feb 122014

Maxima 6-cyl

My 2010 Nissan Maxima will not start. The key light on the dashboard came on. I had it towed to a Nissan dealer only to be told it was a steering locks issue that cost me $1400 to fix. I was also told this is happening often with these cars.

- Edison, NJ, USA

Jan 302014

Maxima 6-cyl

Went to grocery store with 2 kids (3yrs/2yrs old) came out and car wouldn't start. Yellow key light & red key light was lite on dash. The car would open and close with key fob but car still wouldn't start neither did it recognize the key fob when placed into slot. Had to get it towed to repair shop to later find out a steering lock module had gone bad. Read reviews online about different year models recalled for same part #487009N00B but no recall issued for 2010 Maximas yet several people are having the same issue. Repair shop and I can not get part listed above because its on national backorder was told I have to pay upfront for part $500 in order to be placed on a waiting list and part is ordered then would have to wait anywhere from 40 to 60 days and still not guaranteed. Called Nissan about issue and they can not do anything until the part is ordered. Called around myself to find part and very difficult. If this part was an issue & recalled previously why did they continue to use it? and no alternate part has been made to replace existing part. Im getting the raw end of the stick handed to me. 1st to pay out of pocket with no guarantee of the part 2nd to have to pay to have car towed 3rd for the part being on national backorder. I dont expect a car with 52,000 miles to give me issues like this & not be covered being that's its a known problem. Im very frustrated at this point. I have to make alternate arrangements to get to work. This needs to looked into asap!

- North Lauderdale, FL, USA

Feb 032014

Maxima

After leaving work to drive home, car would not start, yellow key symbol was on dashboard. Key fob still worked to lock and unlock doors. Car battery was fine, headlights and brake lights still worked. Checked manual and it indicated steering lock malfunction. Had to have the car towed to nearest dealership. After waiting 4 days for the part to come in, I had to pay over $800 to have the part replaced. Very disappointed in Nissan not covering this part because of the many others who have reported the exact same issue in the 2010 Maxima -- even when it is a known and covered part in the 2009 model.

- Hooksett, NH, USA

Feb 042014

Maxima

Went to work park the car with no problems, came out of work car would not start. Thought it was the batteries in the remote due to the yellow light with the intelligent key on the dash, and then remember I just replaced the battery.the doors would unlock and lock with no problems, the brake petal would not go in. Then thought it was the battery hood up a charger and it read it was on 70% charged, called the dealer they told me to have it towed in. The dealer called me the next day and told me it was the steering column, when I asked them why would it do this the only answer they had for me was this has been a problem with this year make and model. With the towing and the diagnostic check and the part with labor it's costing me over 1,000 dollars, the standard warranty does not cover any of this, all out of pocket. I just got rid of a 2008 gl 450 Mercedes Benz, because of having problems with it, I have a 4 year old visually disabled child that I am constantly traveling long distances to medical appointments so this is absolutely unacceptable to me. I always have loved Nissan and this is my 4th Nissan and was planning on purchasing a pathfinder in the falltime. When I purchased this car I stood by the dependability of the name, and I'm very disappointed.

- Ellenville, NY, USA

Feb 042014

Maxima 6-cyl

Steering wheel locked and car will not start. Battery works fine, intelligent keys work fine, windows will not roll up. I had to get it towed to the dealership and they could not tell the reason of its malfunction since it wont start. They ran their tests and consulted that it is the steering wheel locking unit. I was told that it would cost 750 to replace. They also told me to call 1800 Nissan 1 and file a complaint. I then had it towed (paying out of pocket this time) to my house until I can pay for the part and have it fixed. It is ridiculous that Nissan has not recalled or even extended warranty for other year models, or at the least make some kind of contribution towards the cost of their own manufacturing mistakes. Instead, they assume that this same issue will not happen to other models. Yet with researching, there are a plethora of customers going through the exact same issue with the exact same part and getting screwed. So much for customer service, they surely will not have much customers if they continue to leave this issue hanging dry. I will assure that I will not recommend others to purchase Nissan vehicles.

- Escondido, CA, USA