CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2010 Nissan Maxima is a very good reliable vehicle. Beware of Maximas from 2009, and 2004-2006 though.

The 2009 Maxima has an expensive problem where the steering lock prevents the car from starting, & costs upwards of $1,000 to fix!

Nissan Maximas from 2004-2006 have a widespread transmission defect, but judging from our complaint data, Nissan fixed the transmission problem starting with the 2007 model.

For the 2010 Maxima, so far so good!

2010 Nissan Maxima electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Nissan Maxima:

2010 Nissan Maxima Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Dec 132013

Maxima

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact stated that the engine failed to start. The key warning symbol was illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer for inspection. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Lexington, KY, USA

Nov 272013

Maxima 6-cyl

Purchased vehicle November 2012 everything work fine parked car went to bed woke up next day car would not start, intelligent key open and lock doors, horn honks good, key symbol on dash showing steady, push button start symbol states lock, bought new car battery, new intelligent key battery still wont start. Called dealer, service tech states known problem as steeling mechanism locked. Had to pay to tow vehicle to dealer. End of story cost $857 to fix plus $200 for the tow and Nissan wont assist in any kind of way. Dealer tech says I have 1 year warranty on work but this can happen again at any time. I find this to make the vehicle unreliable in all kinds of ways even life threatening. After doing some research this is a very highly common issue which Nissan is well aware of. My family and I own many Nissan vehicles and after this we as family will no longer purchase Nissan vehicles. I don't understand how there isn't a recall or extended warranty on this issue.

- Waterbury, CT, USA

Maxima 6-cyl

I bought a 2010 Nissan Maxima 2 months ago. I drove it to work this particular day and everything seemed fine but when I tried to leave to go out for lunch, my car wouldn't start. I thought maybe it was the battery, but all lights worked perfectly and horn was still blowing. Called three Nissan dealerships in my area to get advice on what the problem may be, they all suggested that I may need a new battery in the fob. The fob was still working to unlock and lock the car so obviously this wasn't the problem. Still I tried for hours to get the car started and was not able to. After being stranded for hours, I had leave my car. The next day, I had to get it towed to the dealership, where they told me this was a common problem (yet they didn't suggest it when I called). The electrical steering control unit had gone out or malfunctioned. They had the replacement part in stock and had my car repaired the same day, which cost me $815.52. After researching the problem I found that this was a common problem and an extended warranty was actually issued for the 2009 Altima's for the same exact problem. I called Nissan and they were happy to open a case for me and forward it to the corporate office to see if I could get reimbursed since this is a common and known problem. A representative from Nissan called me back the following day and informed me that they are not issuing a extended warranty or issuing refunds for the problem. If this is a known problem why hasn't it been recalled and why won't Nissan take responsibility for the problem" I think that this should be investigated because there was no warning in my case and many other complaints I have read. What if the same thing happens to the "new" part" I'll be stranded again, need towing again, and have to pay for a known, uncorrected problem again.

- Plaquemine, LA, USA

Maxima 6-cyl

Went to start my 2010 Nissan Maxima this morning for work and it would not start. The yellow key light indicator was lit on the dash, brake was hard to press. The car would not change from "lock" mode to "acc" or "on" position. The car would not start, doors would unlock with the fob but the car would do nothing else. Reading the manual, I was able to tell what the indicator light meant. While waiting for the tow truck to arrive I searched the result and was shocked to see all the complaints on the same malfunction and how this has not been labeled as a recall due to the high volume of complaints. Basically the steering wheel control lock will not disengage leaving you stranded. There has been a recall on the 2009 Altima and Maxima but not the 2010 which uses the same part. From what I have read the repair cost run around $800-$1000. Waiting now for the Nissan dealership to call me back.

- Hope Mills, NC, USA

Maxima 6-cyl

I parked my car and went inside my inlaws with my 2 year old and 3 week old. When I went to leave my I-key warning light was on. The key opened the doors but the brake was locked and the vehicle wouldn't turn on. After looking online and checking the batteries in the key fobs I discovered this was a problem with the escl (electronic steering control lock). This is a known issue for Nissan produced in 2009. Nissan actually extended the 2009 models warranty for this part. My vehicle was produced in 2009 but is a 2010 model and not covered by the extended warranty. The repair for this is about $800 and should be covered under warranty. Nissan is ignoring this issue in 2010 models which is unacceptable. Had I been anywhere else this issue could have been much worse with me and my two kids stranded.

- Roanoke , VA, USA

Nov 302013

Maxima

Stopped at grocery store, went in for around 5 minutes, came back out and car wouldn't start. The key fob would lock and unlock doors, head lights would come on but when pressing start button, nothing. Paid $50 to have it towed to nearest Nissan dealership and it sat until Monday. After the dealership looked at it, they have notified me that it is the electronic steering control lock module. Labor and part would be $653.58. This is extremely common in the Altima and Nissan even extended the warranty on this part only and are currently covering costs for this part to be replaced in Altima. It's a shame to pay this much for a vehicle and can't even get it to run due to Nissan's faulty parts. And why would Nissan cover the part on an Altima but not on a Maxima even though it is the same exact part?

- Stanford, KY, USA

Nov 202013

Maxima 6-cyl

I was on my way to work when I stopped at the bank to make a transaction, when I returned to my car it would not start. Mind you it was cold and dark. I spent 3 hours freezing me butt off trying to figure out what I did wrong not realizing it was Nissan that is actually at fault. So basically I'm out of a days pay at work, have to pay for a tow truck to take my car back to my home because it dealer I closed, then pay for another tow truck in the morning to take my car to the dealer then pay to fix a problem that should have been recalled the same time they recalled the GT-R for the same parts and same issues. As a loyal customer I am very disgusted, irritated, and tired of these avoidable inconveniences.

- Cambria Heights , NY, USA

Oct 242013

Maxima 6-cyl

The car would not start. A light suggesting the battery in the key was dead came on. I replaced the battery of the key and the car still wouldn't start. Others have suggested it is a steering wheel lock issue that is happening on other Nissan manufactured around the same time. I was stranded.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Sep 222013

Maxima 6-cyl

My car won't start because the steering control lock will not disengage thus making the car inoperable. Even with a new key fob, the car does not recognize this and will not change from "lock" mode to "acc" or "on" position. Basically, my car thinks I'm a thief. I have researched this and numerous people have had this issue with 2009 and 2010 Nissan that have a push start with this steering control lock. I called Nissan to discuss the issue and see if they would extend my warranty but they declined and forced me to make a claim after getting the car towed and serviced which could be anywhere from $700-1000. I am very skeptical about getting any money back from them and am interested in taking legal action should they not take care of this matter as it is a manufacturer malfunction and has nothing to do with wear and tear of vehicle. Which, btw, the vehicle is in great shape and has had regular maintenance checks so makes this even more frustrating.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Jan 042012

Maxima 6-cyl

I'm unable to turn on accessory ignition or start car due to defective steering wheel lock mechanism. Part #48700-JK000. Manufacture is unable to supply me with a new one. This is a known issue by Nissan motors, not just for Maxima, but all intelligent key models. Currently can't even roll windows up.

- Wasilla, AK, USA

Feb 132011

Maxima 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Nissan Maxima. The contact attempted to lock her vehicle with the keyless alarm system but was unable to do so. She entered the vehicle and then attempted to start the vehicle but there was no power. The vehicle was towed to the dealer but they were unable to duplicate the failure. Approximately one day later, the alarm suddenly sounded without warning. The vehicle was taken back to the dealer but they were unable to diagnose the failure. The manufacturer took a complaint for the contact and advised her that they were unaware of the issue. The current and failure mileages were approximately 9,800. Updated 3/21/11 updated 04/25/11

- Matawan, NJ, USA