8.6

$2,960

2. replace rings and pistons (17 reports)
  3. replace engine (6 reports)
  4. replace intake and output solenoids (4 reports)
  5. replace rear main seal, exhaust manifold, & o2 sensor (2 reports)
  6. intake manifold and crankshaft seal replaced (1 reports)
2013 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

2013 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Feb 142020

Equinox LS 2.4L

I bought my 2013 Chevy Equinox with 32k miles and have had it 3 years, I have a 100 mile a day commute to work. On my way to work on 02/14/2020 it just stopped. I had the car towed to my mechanic and he checked the oil and it was down three quarts. Read online that there is a class action lawsuit against gm for this problem. Had my car towed to the dealership and they are telling me that the timing chain is broken. I ask if the excessive oil consumption could cause this and he said yes, I ask if it is covered under the law suit and he said he didn't know about that. I want something done, my timing chain should not break at 131k miles.

- Daniel S., Charlotte, US

May 042020

Equinox LS 2.4L

Researching and see there is a lawsuit, but I wasnt aware of it.

How do I remedy?

- Lisa M., Cottontown, TN, US

Feb 122021

Equinox

GM issued a recall for excessive oil consumption on my 2013 Chevy Equinox, but only if the problem manifested itself by a certain date or before a certain mileage. Because of the pandemic, I did not drive the vehicle much and the problem only showed up after the deadline had passed--but well before the stipulated mileage. GM refused to cover the repair, even though they knew the problem existed. I was a loyal GM buyer but will never purchase another GM vehicle. Ever. Very disappointing treatment.

- Ann H., Kent, OH, US

Apr 012021

Equinox

I had just gotten off the thruway with my family. I pulled into a parking lot to do shopping. When we came out and I started the car, the car began to shake and shudder and the engine was knocking. Check engine came on and said reduce power. Got it to aaa and I was told that there was no oil in engine and that I would have to spend over 8,000 to get a new one installed. There was no warning before this. No check oil light. No knocking. No check engine light. Nothing unless you physically checked the oil would you know the issue.

I am thankful this did not happen while I was driving down the thruway at 70 mph. Now I need a new engine or a new car. I could have continued to drive mine, except I was never notified that there was ever an issue. Had it in for service last spring and they told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and everything checked out. Really angry that the company appears to be saying that this is my problem and they are not responsible for repairs, despite the fact that this appears to be a common problem.

- Diane D., Oakfield, US

Jan 182020

Equinox LTZ 3.6L

My vehicle is consistently serviced for regular oil changes by a local GM dealer but I’m still having excessive oil burn - having to add 3-4 quarts each month. There is a GM recall for other 2013 Equinox vehicles but my VIN is not covered. We all know these vehicles are being produced in the same plants with the same parts. GM needs to own up.

- Priscilla R., Sumter, US

Mar 152019

Equinox LT 2.4L

It’s horrible! It’s cost me to keep paying for tune ups and cause other components to fail. Getting oil changed twice a month. Have to keep putting oil in the truck, but you won’t ever see oil in your carport. Oil light never comes on. This has made me lose so money on this truck.

- Shemeker R., Columbus, US

May 102016

Equinox LT

Purchased a 2013 Equinox used in Dec 2015. 5-6 months later, the engine started making rattling noise. Checked oil stick - it was dry. This is about 2000 miles after oil and filter change. Car does not leak oil nor is any smoke emitting from car. Dealership could not explain where the oil is going nor could they fix the problem. We were told this model just used oil but no reason why. GM had no recall for this problem.

Started researching complaints on 2013 Equinox and this is happening to a lot of owners that own 2010-2013 Equinox. My husband and myself just found out that GM settled a class action lawsuit concerning the excessive oil consumption. We were never notified of this lawsuit although GM will tell you they notified all 2013 Equinox owners - this is a lie. We would have certainly joined in on suit. I spoke with the insurance company paying the claims and was told they were no longer taking any claims for this excessive oil consumption suit.

GM had to know these cars had these problems there are too, too many people with this same problem. I will NEVER purchase another GM product of any kind. If this is how they conduct their business I want no part of it. Bad business with no ethics. Who ever makes these decision for GM should be fired.

- Linda S., Hattiesburg, MS, US

Dec 092020

Equinox LS 2.4L

Using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. There's 107,000 miles on vehicle.

Update from Jun 7, 2021: rebuilt engine out of my pocket

- leprechaun, Willow Springs, US

Nov 142020

Equinox

So right away when we got this car, O2 sensor got goofed and catalytic converter. So we had that fixed but then we had another issue with it so we had to get it fixed again. And then we had another issue with that.

As far as I am aware, these are not issues common in this year it was just a mechanic issue🙄. But, then, to top this all off my engine fried! Had this car less than a year, did not drive it hard and regularly maintained it. The day before this knocking happened, oil was in the car, day or two later it was gone so the engine was fried. Also 2.4L 4-cyl in this car suuuuuuucckkkkssssss for tryna speed up! Don’t recommend this year :)

- srhalensh, Lino Lakes, US

Feb 182019

Equinox LX 2.4L

I been having a problem with my oil in my car, ever time I turn around, I have to change my oil, and this was becoming expensive. About a year of going through this, I received a letter from General Motors, telling me that my car may be exhibit excessive engine oil consumption less than 2,000 miles per quart, due to piston ring wear. So I took my car to the dealer, and was told that, my car was over the 120,000 miles and they not going to fix it. I need to know how many people are having this same problem, and do anyone know how long this problem existed. I need help I don't think that it's fair that it's their fault that they put a defeated part in my car, and telling me that I have to fix it, this is crazy.

- Beverly Q., Fort Washington, US

Feb 152015

Equinox LT Ecotec 2.4L 4 cyl

This has been an ongoing issue since we purchased this vehicle. It has never gone away. We have had it serviced multiple times. Has cost quite a bit of money.

- Teresa F., Champaign, IL, US

Jan 282020

Equinox LT 2.4L V4

Consumes oil like crazy! I had to change the oil every 2,500 miles. Not to mention the check oil light never worked! It would make a knocking/ticking noise and that's when I knew I had to add more oil. Awful SUV.

- Jordan G., Omaha, US

Mar 252020

Equinox

Bought this car in January 2020 and after a couple of months I noticed it revving while idle so first thing I check is the oil which turns out to be just about empty. I'd driven less than 3,000km and it had an oil change done just at purchase. Unfortunately due to Covid-19 my dealer and mechanic were closed. I learned of the issue and special coverage for this issue and took it to a local GM dealer who had me pay almost $80 for an oil change and said I would have to bring it back to have the level checked. They also informed me that I'd have to pay for any repairs as the special coverage expired for my vehicle on January 22, 2020 - two months earlier. I talked to GM directly and they refused to cover the repairs if needed even though I was only 2 months out. This was disgusting customer service. This is my first GM and after this I don't know if I'll get another. My used car dealer us supposed to be taking care of this for me thankfully.

- Dawn M., Kitchener, ON, Canada

Oct 102018

Equinox LS

Why hasn't General Motors responded to the excessive oil consumption complaint for the 2013 Equinox? Man up Chevrolet, I'm done with your product. Have had 2 of these SUV's and will not buy another one. Not a reliable vehicle - I'd be ashamed to put this product on the market. I cringe when I see a commercial on TV for the Equinox.

- Karen B., Liberty, KY, US

May 012019

Equinox LS

This has truly been the most annoying and scary problem! I'm constantly having to add oil, approx 4-6 quarts per month. Yes, I do have regular oil changes performed by a mechanic. Constantly have to restock the 4-6 quarts of oil that I keep as "spares just in case" in the back of my Equinox. The engine light would come on, act like it wants to stall out, totally freaking me out! Knowing how important proper oil level is, I always check that first. ALWAYS, the oil is extremely low, sometimes not even showing up on the dipstick and I just added oil less than a week ago! So, I add more oil, time and time again. Sometimes 1 quart, sometimes, 1, 3, 4 quarts! Its ridiculous! Constantly checking under my vehicle to see if any has leaked all over the ground. Never a drop, it just keeps burning it. I have taken it to a mechanic at least 3 separate times to hear, I don't see any oil leak, it has to be using the oil. Well, thanks Einstein! As a single mom, I have enough to worry about without having to worry about my engine blowing up every time I have to drive somewhere. It's stressful and has me paranoid to drive long distances because I'm paranoid I'm going to get stranded on the side of the road with a blown up engine and no money to pay for a new one! I definitely expected much more quality out of Chevy/GM. And then to find out that they hid the problem! I'm beyond mad and will never look at Chevy/GM as a reliable, trusted vehicle if they don't get this fixed. Just disgusted....

- Jill B., Saint George, SC, US

Dec 022016

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

Wish we hadn't bough this car!! I got a 2013 equinox LTZ with a huge oil consumption. I don't qualify for the recall due to high mileage now. My car gets an oil change every month and I add 1 qrt per week. Where does the oil goes?? The dip stick is always dry. My car is commuter 80 miles in, 80 miles out and I'm surprised it has not broken down. Just the fact that the oil vanishes fast is what bums me out. I had a huge leak under the car oil all over the frame and pulleys. I went and changed the crank shaft o ring seal and fixed the leak, but it turns out that seal keeps breaking, so I had to change it 3 months later and now again I will change it because I see oil leak again. I can hear the engine bone dry on oil all the time..no engine light whatsoever though!!!?? wtf is wrong with this car?? No more Eco Chevy for me!!

- Uriel H., Stockton, US

Nov 152015

Equinox LS 2.4L

I’ve had my 2013 Chevrolet Equinox since 2015. I’ve had pistons replaced, oil leak “repaired”, and now my engine. It’s been issues after issue since I’ve gotten this car and the dealership says there’s nothing they can do. I have to put oil in my car every 3 weeks. I’ve been stranded with my kids and I’ve had to miss work due to my car constantly having issues and being in the shop. You pay good money for a lemon and no help. The dealership didn’t even tell me about recalls and I’m at the dealership ever other month. I happened to check online. Smh. No more Chevy or GM period for me.

- Serita H., Decatur, US

Jan 312019

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 cyl

On 1/31/2019 I was pulling in my driveway when my car stalled. No check engine lights or anything came on. It started right back up, I finished pulling in my driveway and it stalled again. Started up again and engine was making a knocking noise. Immediately shut car off. When inspecting the car, the whole underneath of my car was covered in oil and oil was dripping out from under the engine. Had car towed to dealership. Was told the PCV unit had become "junked up" causing it to put out too much pressure which caused the rear main seal to blow out and crack the exhaust manifold, and that it messed up an oxygen sensor. Well the warranty on my vehicle had run out in 8/2018, so my out of pocket expense was $2,612. I did much research on this and it is a common problem!!!! How is this not a recall issue???? 2 weeks after getting my car back my radio quit working....that's another $1200 expense!!!! Also a common problem!!!

- Stephanie W., Elizabeth, WV, US

May 012017

Equinox LT 2.4L

Problem started 2 years ago! I thought my 2013 Equinox was leaking because their was no blue smoke or burning oil smell. I had 3 different shops tell me that they found no leak. IMPOSSIBLE I said! With as much oil I was adding, it had to be leaking!! I am adding at least a quart every 2 weeks.! This is ridiculous!!! This was my first new car and I can't believe GM would be as snaky as they are!! This is a HUGE and EXPENSIVE issue!!

- Jason H., Maple, WI, US

Feb 012019

Equinox LX 4L

I OWE $10,000 ON THIS CAR AND I NEED CHEVY TO FIX IT! IT IS BURNING OIL LIKE CRAZY

The Chevrolet Equinox Ecotec engine lawsuit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Florida - Ellen Berman and Dayana Guach, et al., v. General Motors LLC.

The plaintiffs are represented by Ahdoot & Wolfson, P.C., Greg Coleman Law, and Whitfield, Bryson & Mason LLP.

Chevy Equinox oil consumption complaints: