8.5

$3,140

2. replace rings and pistons (20 reports)
  3. replace engine (7 reports)
  4. replace intake and output solenoids (4 reports)
  5. replace rear main seal, exhaust manifold, & o2 sensor (2 reports)
  6. intake manifold and crankshaft seal replaced (1 reports)
2013 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

2013 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Dec 232019

Equinox V6

It was discovered by our personal (certified) mechanic that our 2013 Equinox is using excessive amounts of oil. Our mechanic referred us to a local Chevrolet dealership and said the repairs should be covered under a re-call. We were told by our local Garber Chevrolet Dealership that since we have a 2013 Equinox, it is NOT covered. The service manager claims than only 2010-2012 Equinox's are being repaired by GM. I placed a call to the GM customer service # 1-866-790-5700 and have registered my complaint with the supervisor (as the original rep insisted that he could do NOTHING to help me). I am waiting for a response. I URGE ALL 2013 Equinox owner's with this problem to CALL GM. They NEED to know that we are NOT satisfied customers!

- Rochelle K., saginaw, US

Dec 012019

Equinox LT 2.4L I-4

This is my girlfriends car... and I hate it so much I'm here typing about it. This issue first came to my attention after I started doing work on it after we started dating. Doing a regular oil change I noticed only about 2 quarts emptied into the drain pan... not good. I began monitoring oil consumption and found that it burned about 1qt/1000miles. That was 40,000 miles ago and now it's up to 2qt/1000mi. This is something I'd expect to see on an old abused 50's V8, NOT A 6 YEAR OLD CAR THAT WAS ALWAYS MAINTAINED BY THE DEALERSHIP. That's the big kicker, she always had service done at the dealership and they told her NOTHING, just bring it in when the screen on the dash says so. Her aunt had the same car and it did the same thing, and her car is now dead as a door nail (I wasn't there to see exactly what happened but it was an engine failure, her words were "metal shavings in the gasket').

FWIW, I have a '98 Cherokee with the 4.0L and 233k on the clock (100k more than the Equinox) and it burns (actually more like leaks) maybe 1/2 a quart over 5000 miles. I also have a 1930 Ford Model A that had an old engine with God knows how many miles on it and it burned NO oil. You know Chevy is doing something wrong when one of their engines burns more oil than a 90 YEAR OLD FORD.

From what I have seen Chevy doesn't really recognize this as a problem and only fixes it sporadically when they feel like it. So, if you don't want to see your engine seize or have a bearing spin, just keep an eye on the oil level and keep a quart or two in the car... you're going to need it.

- Ryan H., Sharon, US

Apr 222022

Equinox LT 2.4L 4 cyl

We have had this Equinox for almost 5 years. A couple of years ago it has become jerky at idle, but after changing spark plugs/wires and cleaning out the throttle body and it not working, I figured it was just how it was. Then I started noticing that oil was low even before an oil change was needed, so that told me that oil was being used in the motor despite not having any drips at all under the vehicle. Next, we have been noticing a very bad fuel smell inside and outside the vehicle after it has been driven even after a short time... I have no idea what is going on there, but with kids in the car, it is a bit worrisome.

NOW I know I have a problem... on our way to a different state (5 hour trip) the engine light comes on for the first time we've had this car. P0014 was the code after driving 2 1/2 more hours to the city we were going to and stopping at an Adv. Auto. The code does not sound good (catastrophic if not attended to). So we go to the hotel, check in and go back to see if by chance we just need to add oil... sure enough the dipstick is dry, and steam is coming from the Oil fill hole when opened - a lot of worry...

I added 3 quarts and after driving locally and about 50 miles back home the engine light turned itself off... this darn car said engine oil had 30% oil life remaining when there was NO OIL AT ALL in the motor. Damn skippy I'm keeping my eye on the oil level now, but not impressed Chevrolet, not impressed at all....

- Jeff P., Statesville, NC, US

Jan 032020

Equinox LT 2.4L Dohc I-4 Di

My Chevy Equinox has the oil consumption issue talked about on the articles on your site, and I was one of the ones that never got the warranty letter that covered this issue.

I did get a letter for the catalytic converter, when I had the the oil consumption test and failed. They told me that was not the issue. That the pistons and ring needed to be replaced, but that warranty had expired. That was the first I had heard of such warranty.

I believe I read in one of your articles, that the class action lawsuit taken against Chevy for this issue, was won. Out of this, there was a warranty that came out. But I, like 40,000 others, never received a letter to indicate there was a warranty.

The repair is $2,300.

I have reached out to Chevy corporate, but I don't get the feeling they are acknowledging wrong doing, or even talking about such lawsuit. I believe I have rights, but don't know how to move forward. Any advice would be appreciated!

- Jacquelyn K., Lawernceville, US

Feb 142018

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

I bought this car brand new. It has had no issues until I noticed it running rough at idle and noisy on initial acceleration. I checked the oil and it was 3 quarts low. I have changed the oil at every interval. Since then I noticed it consumes about a quart every 2 weeks. This is the last GM product I'll ever buy. I had similar issues with a 2007 Suburban and a 2007 Colorado. Never again. I hope GM goes bankrupt and this time doesn't get bailed out.

- mercsburgh, Mechanicsville, US

Jan 012019

Equinox LT 2.4L Eco

Dealing with a major oil consumption problem with the Equinox. Seems to get worse at highway speed going uphill when the engine revs. Just changed the oil 800 miles ago, then took a 4 hour trip (mountainous Oregon/California), and was 2 quarts low. Use only Valvoline high mileage synthetic blend oil and ac Delco filters. Chevy dealer wants to do an oil consumption test.

- Dave M., Medford, OR, US

Nov 012021

Equinox LT 2.5L

Noticed the car knocking one day as I don't drive the SUV. Checked the oil and found it was 2 quarts low on oil. Back when I had another issue with the vehicle I went to the dealership and asked them about the Class Action complaint on this vehicle and she said had nothing to do with Chevrolet that it was a lawsuit from a 3rd party. Around 124,000 miles I noticed this problem with the oil consumption. Long story short Chevrolet did a oil consumption test and told me they would cover $594.41 and my part would be $1783.23. if I wanted to get it repaired they would go ahead and order the parts. Oil has always been changed with the correct oil per their service reminders and always with full synthetic per manufacturers guidelines. Nice vehicle, never abused but junk if the motor is burning 2 quarts oil in 1500 miles. GM new this was an issue and drug their feet on the lawsuit so most of the vehicles would be out of warranty. What a joke! Looking to a different manufacturer for my next vehicle bc they wont stand behind their product and lie to the consumer!

- Roger K., Mendon, US

Dec 282018

Equinox LT

While driving in negative degree weather, I get the low oil pressure, stop engine warning on my car. So I pulled over into a gas station, put the recommended oil 5w-30 in at 3 quarts. I start the car back up and the low oil pressure warning is gone. I continue to drive my car, about 20 minutes later the low oil pressure warning comes back on, only this time I'm already on the highway going 70 mph when I hear this God Awful sound coming from my car. The RPM gauge goes down to zero and I'm literally coasting to a stop. The engine had seized up and blew. I had to call a tow truck company, filed under my insurance at the time. After all was said and done and I got it towed to a local mechanic, I ended up owing $5,000 for all the parts and labor.

- Paige B., Cortland, US

Feb 142020

Equinox LS 2.4L

I bought my 2013 Chevy Equinox with 32k miles and have had it 3 years, I have a 100 mile a day commute to work. On my way to work on 02/14/2020 it just stopped. I had the car towed to my mechanic and he checked the oil and it was down three quarts. Read online that there is a class action lawsuit against gm for this problem. Had my car towed to the dealership and they are telling me that the timing chain is broken. I ask if the excessive oil consumption could cause this and he said yes, I ask if it is covered under the law suit and he said he didn't know about that. I want something done, my timing chain should not break at 131k miles.

- Daniel S., Charlotte, US

May 042020

Equinox LS 2.4L

Researching and see there is a lawsuit, but I wasnt aware of it.

How do I remedy?

- Lisa M., Cottontown, TN, US

Feb 122021

Equinox

GM issued a recall for excessive oil consumption on my 2013 Chevy Equinox, but only if the problem manifested itself by a certain date or before a certain mileage. Because of the pandemic, I did not drive the vehicle much and the problem only showed up after the deadline had passed--but well before the stipulated mileage. GM refused to cover the repair, even though they knew the problem existed. I was a loyal GM buyer but will never purchase another GM vehicle. Ever. Very disappointing treatment.

- Ann H., Kent, OH, US

Apr 012021

Equinox

I had just gotten off the thruway with my family. I pulled into a parking lot to do shopping. When we came out and I started the car, the car began to shake and shudder and the engine was knocking. Check engine came on and said reduce power. Got it to aaa and I was told that there was no oil in engine and that I would have to spend over 8,000 to get a new one installed. There was no warning before this. No check oil light. No knocking. No check engine light. Nothing unless you physically checked the oil would you know the issue.

I am thankful this did not happen while I was driving down the thruway at 70 mph. Now I need a new engine or a new car. I could have continued to drive mine, except I was never notified that there was ever an issue. Had it in for service last spring and they told me that there was nothing wrong with the car and everything checked out. Really angry that the company appears to be saying that this is my problem and they are not responsible for repairs, despite the fact that this appears to be a common problem.

- Diane D., Oakfield, US

Jan 182020

Equinox LTZ 3.6L

My vehicle is consistently serviced for regular oil changes by a local GM dealer but I’m still having excessive oil burn - having to add 3-4 quarts each month. There is a GM recall for other 2013 Equinox vehicles but my VIN is not covered. We all know these vehicles are being produced in the same plants with the same parts. GM needs to own up.

- Priscilla R., Sumter, US

Mar 152019

Equinox LT 2.4L

It’s horrible! It’s cost me to keep paying for tune ups and cause other components to fail. Getting oil changed twice a month. Have to keep putting oil in the truck, but you won’t ever see oil in your carport. Oil light never comes on. This has made me lose so money on this truck.

- Shemeker R., Columbus, US

May 102016

Equinox LT

Purchased a 2013 Equinox used in Dec 2015. 5-6 months later, the engine started making rattling noise. Checked oil stick - it was dry. This is about 2000 miles after oil and filter change. Car does not leak oil nor is any smoke emitting from car. Dealership could not explain where the oil is going nor could they fix the problem. We were told this model just used oil but no reason why. GM had no recall for this problem.

Started researching complaints on 2013 Equinox and this is happening to a lot of owners that own 2010-2013 Equinox. My husband and myself just found out that GM settled a class action lawsuit concerning the excessive oil consumption. We were never notified of this lawsuit although GM will tell you they notified all 2013 Equinox owners - this is a lie. We would have certainly joined in on suit. I spoke with the insurance company paying the claims and was told they were no longer taking any claims for this excessive oil consumption suit.

GM had to know these cars had these problems there are too, too many people with this same problem. I will NEVER purchase another GM product of any kind. If this is how they conduct their business I want no part of it. Bad business with no ethics. Who ever makes these decision for GM should be fired.

- Linda S., Hattiesburg, MS, US

Dec 092020

Equinox LS 2.4L

Using a quart of oil every 1000 miles. There's 107,000 miles on vehicle.

Update from Jun 7, 2021: rebuilt engine out of my pocket

- leprechaun, Willow Springs, US

Nov 142020

Equinox

So right away when we got this car, O2 sensor got goofed and catalytic converter. So we had that fixed but then we had another issue with it so we had to get it fixed again. And then we had another issue with that.

As far as I am aware, these are not issues common in this year it was just a mechanic issue🙄. But, then, to top this all off my engine fried! Had this car less than a year, did not drive it hard and regularly maintained it. The day before this knocking happened, oil was in the car, day or two later it was gone so the engine was fried. Also 2.4L 4-cyl in this car suuuuuuucckkkkssssss for tryna speed up! Don’t recommend this year :)

- srhalensh, Lino Lakes, US

Feb 182019

Equinox LX 2.4L

I been having a problem with my oil in my car, ever time I turn around, I have to change my oil, and this was becoming expensive. About a year of going through this, I received a letter from General Motors, telling me that my car may be exhibit excessive engine oil consumption less than 2,000 miles per quart, due to piston ring wear. So I took my car to the dealer, and was told that, my car was over the 120,000 miles and they not going to fix it. I need to know how many people are having this same problem, and do anyone know how long this problem existed. I need help I don't think that it's fair that it's their fault that they put a defeated part in my car, and telling me that I have to fix it, this is crazy.

- Beverly Q., Fort Washington, US

Feb 152015

Equinox LT Ecotec 2.4L 4 cyl

This has been an ongoing issue since we purchased this vehicle. It has never gone away. We have had it serviced multiple times. Has cost quite a bit of money.

- Teresa F., Champaign, IL, US

Jan 282020

Equinox LT 2.4L V4

Consumes oil like crazy! I had to change the oil every 2,500 miles. Not to mention the check oil light never worked! It would make a knocking/ticking noise and that's when I knew I had to add more oil. Awful SUV.

- Jordan G., Omaha, US