ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems: excessive oil consumption

Excessive Oil Consumption

2013 Chevrolet Equinox (Page 1 of 3)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chevrolet dealer.

8.7

$2,730

2. replace rings and pistons (8 reports)
  3. replace intake and output solenoids (2 reports)
  4. intake manifold and crankshaft seal replaced (1 reports)
  5. replace engine (1 reports)
2013 Chevrolet Equinox engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Chevrolet Equinox:

2013 Chevrolet Equinox Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Aug 012017

Equinox LX 2.4L

I had issues with my 2013 Equinox starting sometime in Spring 2017. I noticed between oil changes I was having to add a quart or so of oil. After some online research about issues with these cars burning oil, I contacted a local Chevrolet dealer and they recommended to me that I bring the car in for an "oil consumption test." After having to start the "oil consumption test" a second time, (directions were not clear on the initial instructions to bring the car in every 1,000 miles and was told to come in when it was 1 qt low), the vehicle clearly failed and GM was notified by the dealership. I was down 3.75 quarts by the end of the test. I was then informed by the dealership, per GM, because the car fell out of warranty while completing the "oil consumption test" that they could only assist with a $1550 payment towards the cost of $3100 in engine repairs. These oil issues started around 55K miles. I was irate and sent a letter to Chevrolet Divisional as recommended by a "senior advisor" (866) 790-5600 back in June 2018 to ask them to fix the problem.

Now here we are in 9/2018, no word from "Chevrolet Divisional PO Box 33170, Detroit, MI 48232-5170 and yet another call to Chevrolet to fight for what is right and still seeking a "no cost repair" to my vehicle. At this time, I am driving around with an extra quart of oil in my back seat. Really, at 70K miles at this point and 3+ quarts added between oil changes, there obviously is a known proven problem and they don't care. They ignore it. Not happy, but I'll keep after Chevrolet for repairs.

- Brenda C., Hope, US

Jan 012015

Equinox

Never, ever buy a Chevy Equinox. Currently have a 2013 Chevy Equinox and the thing is a piece of garbage. It eats oil at an excessive rate. Don't have a leak so its going somewhere? This has been going on for quite some time but have always got the run around. We now have a case of oil in the car at all times so that we can add oil when there is none in it. I just called the dealer today because I have seen all the reviews about this happening to a lot of customers.

They told me that they would have to do an oil consumption test to determine if there is in fact an issue. That would be at my expense! Are you kidding!??? But, if it is determined that I haven't been imagining things and that the car is a piece of junk then we would be responsible for the repairs since the warranty ended in Feb 2018. The oil has been an ongoing issue and I have always mentioned that when I take it into the shop, whether it be the dealer or local garage. I am always told the same thing. Cars use oil, there are no recalls, blah, blah, blah. I don't know how many solenoids have been replaced on this thing.

And, just in April 2018, I had it at the dealer for a week because the engine light was on and it failed emissions for inspection. It needed a new exhaust manifold because it was cracked, the catalyst in the converter melted internally resulting in needing a new catalytic converter. The oil usage was also mentioned at this visit. If stopped at a light, the car will rock back and forth and it sounds like a tractor trailer.

I'ts down right terrible that Chevy is doing nothing in regards to fixing these issues and making things right for their customers. We spent over $30,000 on a lemon and Chevy is taking no responsibility for making junk cars. They have been aware of these problems for quite some time. I was told by customer service today that my particular VIN # needs to be affected? Well, I'm the one driving the vehicle...I don't need you to tell me if its affected or not, IT IS!!! And, I most certainly should not have to pay for an oil consumption test for it to tell you exactly what I'm telling you! And I most certainly should not have to pay for repairs on a vehicle that was poorly made.

Maybe if Chevy would have addressed these issues instead of ignoring them it may have not affected so many people. We will never purchase another Chevy/GM vehicle again.

- Kevin H., Pittsburgh, US

Dec 172017

Equinox LS 2.4L

My equinox is now at 95k miles. I am sitting in the dealership for the second time since my last oil change due to low oil. GM does not have my vehicle listed as covered under the "special condition" as it does not have the specific pistons.

Very frustrated, as this was first identified before the power train warranty expired, but was not a known issue to GM at the time. Apparently, there is a class action lawsuit being developed, and I will be joining if it is not covered.

- Steven T., newark, DE, US

Jan 102017

Equinox LS 2.4L

Totally shocked when a routine service visit showed 2 1/2 quarts low, no warning lights, total engine overhaul with pistons, rings, timing chain. Glad it was under warranty!

- George G., Hot Springs, US

Jul 182018

Equinox LT 2.4L

I have a 2013 Chevrolet LT. On 07/18/18 in the early AM, prior to making an out of town trip for a doctor appointment, I checked the oil level and no oil on dipstick. I called dealer and informed them of my situation. They told me there was no way they could take me that day. So, I drove to town and bought 2 quarts Synthetic oil and brought the oil to an acceptable level to drive it elsewhere to get an oil change to make the trip.The mileage on this vehicle since oil change was 5,685.

I drove vehicle an additional 1,259 miles and again it was a quart low since oil change. This vehicle has unexpectedly twice in the past couple of months has cutoff on startup. I have been a GM customer for years and always get 150,000 to 200,000 miles out of a vehicle and never experienced oil consumption like this.

Also note, I personally spoke with Service Manager and admitted there is a problem. He instructed me to come back in 1,000 miles and allow them to check oil, which I did and it was ok at this time, because I had added oil on a trip. I took vehicle back for # 2 1.000 mile check on 08/16/2018.

On 08/24/ I drove vehicle 546 miles and it used another quart. I called Service to advise him and was told to bring in vehicle after the following Wednesday 08/30/18. I called service department to check on schedule for me to bring vehicle in and was told that all 4 of their GM loaner vehicles were out and they could not tell me when the loaners would be available. The service department said they had vehicles torn down for the same problem and are now waiting on parts.

The service department also informed me that they could not give me an estimate on down time , once parts came in.

Now here I am 09/04/18 still waiting and adding oil and dealer and/or GM can't get parts or so I am told. Sounds to me GM and dealer hopes I will go away along with the problem. If GM has known of problem why have they not ramped up production to get this corrected. The vehicle now has approximately 63,400 mile and I am going out of town again with a cargo area of oil to add.

I do nod think GM cares, except to sell units. OIL CONSUMPTION!!!!!

- Jimmy H., Crumpler, NC, US

May 082018

Equinox LT 2.4L

Car making funny noise. Check engine light comes on and diagnostic test shows: intake outtake solenoid issue. Had to have both the intake and outtake solenoids replaced. After a few months check engine light comes back on and diagnostic indicates catalytic converter is bad.

I am informed these engines burn oil internally and CHEVY knows about it but will do nothing. Now I am told the coast of replacing catalytic converter is $1750.90. I guess I'll have to bend over and take one from CHEVY if I want to be able to use the car.

I USED TO BE A CHEVY GUY BUT NOW I WILL NEVER OWN ANOTHER CHEVY BECAUSE THEY DON'T FIX THEIR PROBLEMS.

- Jim R., Farmville, VA, US

Mar 132018

Equinox LT 4 cyl

I still owe a years payment on this car. Now they tell me it is burning oil. Already had the spark plugs replaced, 300 dollars. Single 55 year old female don't need to be breaking down somewhere by myself. Can't afford to get a new car. This is bull! I have seen all the complaints about this car and CHEVY will do NOTHING. Really? It is pretty bad when you are scared to drive your car.

- Cheryl M., Mansfield, TX, US

Jun 012018

Equinox LS

My 2013 Equinox started consuming oil. Would have not known about the on going issues without the complaints on this site. I have driven Chevy's for years. Due to the fact that GM is not fixing the problem, I will not buy another GM vehicle. I am a single woman and need a reliable vehicle. I did get rid of the Equinox and bought a Ford. Shame on you Chevrolet!

- Regina H., Annapolis, MD, US

Jul 012018

Equinox LS

A year ago, I was coming due for an oil change. My car started to "sputter" while stopped at a red light. Best description... it would shake a little. Got the oil change, shaking stopped. This happened again as I came near to the end of my oil life the next time. Changed the oil, no problems. My husband does these oil changes because they're easy.

A couple months ago (2,852 miles to be exact) he did the next one. One day I parked on a hill. I backed out of the spot, put the car in drive and it stalled and shut off. Must be a fluke, the engine light didn't come on. Checked the oil, and the dipstick showed oil (my husband checked it, do not sure how much was on it... he and my father in law thought I was crazy).

A month later, it happened again. The next day it happened again, twice. Each time I was coming out of park. I quit, time to take it to the shop; I'm not driving it again till I figure out what's wrong. There's now no oil on my dipstick. None. Also, it's showing codes, but not ones that will turn on your light. Wait. A problem directly related to the engine and being OUT OF OIL won't activate my light?

There are metal shavings in my crankshaft (i think) they need to replace intake and output solenoid and do an oil change. Remember, this is 2,852 miles into my 6,000 mile oil change. $415 later, I'm ready to trade in this car instead of waiting for the engine to burn up. Fix this, GM. I am pretty confident that I will never buy another Chevy, but I love(d) this car 😕

- Emily C., Westminster, MD, US

Mar 012018

Equinox LTZ 2.4L

This car burns 3 quarts of oil or more every 5000 miles. I took it to Chevy dealer and they said my VIN did not flag any recalls or service issues. I travel many miles and now I have to take a case of oil with me. Very sad for a $30,000+ car. I purchased this car new in December 2012 it obviously should have been a part of the many bad engines that Chevy repaired or replaced. Time to file another class action lawsuit to force Chevy to take responsibility for their mistakes.

- D.w. B., Jonesborough, TN, US

Sep 012017

Equinox LTZ

This car EATS oil. No help from Dealer or Chevy. I cannot not keep up with this car's need for oil and driving without oil causes a whole boatload of other problems....

- smuel001, Napa, US

Jan 062014

Equinox LT 4 cyl

THIS CAR IS A PIECE of SH*T!!! Never have I ever had a car with so many problems, from electrical to engine. It burns oil like a Mother Fu**ker. I have to replace oil every month - and top up at least twice between oil changes. Never again will I ever by a Equinox. Had several issues with electrical over the years as well - A passenger seat belt chime that goes off randomly when no one or nothing is on the seat. Middle of the night, the lights come on for no reason. Freaking car is haunted. Replaced the battery and wiring several times..

On the plus side - it fits 2 hockey bags in the back... That's about it. Can't wait to send this P.O.S. to the junk yard where it belongs. Complete waste of money.

- Wonda M., Chilliwack, BC, Canada

May 012018

Equinox

The car is a deathtrap it shakes on start up, and is consuming way too much oil. Dealership who sold me vehicle did not know anything about it and now will not do anything to fix it. They will not get me out of the vehicle and they said it’s all in my head. Had an oil change on April 8, 2018 and on April 30, 2018 I had absolutely no oil in the engine, and the way I was treated by the dealership was horrible. They led me to believe that they were going to take care of the problem and yet I had to pay over $500 to have the car fixed and I’m forced to drive it after they promised me they would get me out of the equinox and into a better car. I’m scared to drive this vehicle and my husband is scared for me to drive the vehicle. Every time I get into my vehicle I pray that it starts

- Sheri J., Fort Worth, TX, US

Apr 012018

Equinox LT 2.4L

I AM AN AMERICAN AND I DRIVE NOTHING BUT CHEVY. I GOT MY FAMILY HOOKED ON THEM, BUT THIS 2.4L CRAP IS COSTING ME MORE THAN MY 2 TAHOES AND SILVERADO COMBINED IN MONEY AND OIL. GM NEED TO DO SOMETHING ABOUT THIS.

- Oral V., Orange, US

May 042018

Equinox LT 2.4L

GM has refused to cover my 2013 Chevy equinox for the special coverage of 2010-2014 equinox with less than 120,000 miles (mine has 118,000). This is to correct the high oil consumption and oil leak problem. I was denied the ability to have my car looked at the dealership because my vin number didn't flag my car despite the above criteria match of year and mileage!? Thus, had to take back to my mechanic as he was the one that originally sent me to the dealership for the repair because his initial diagnosis confirmed the problem. Having no choice, he did the manual repair and confirmed the intake manifold/pcv/crankshaft seal problem. Thus, I'm out $686.43 plus rental car for 3 days and 3 hours of my time in a huge GM problem that should be a mandatory recall. By them randomly eliminating or only allowing a certain percentage thru, they are saving millions in repairs and ultimately screwing us the consumers. Class action lawsuit time yet!?!?

- oilslick, Bradenton, US

Apr 242018

Equinox 2LT 2.4L Eco

I bought my 13 Chevy Equinox on March 19th 2018 it had 37800 miles on it. On April 11th 2018 I ask for them to do a replacement of the pcv related issues because I didn't want to blow my rear main seal when it gets to freezing temperatures. They said they checked for leaks and that's as far as they went. I warned them that with this make and model it will be an issue and begged them to do what the 14822 service bulletin said to do. They said no and off I went.

So from April 11th 2018 to April 24th I made it to the NAPA in my town and checked the oil and the dipstick was dry. I added one quart of oil and still nothing. Added another quart and still nothing. I waited a few moments checked it and it was just on the tip of the dipstick from 2 quarts of oil. Then added another and it was finally on the dipstick. I added one last quart just to make sure and off I went.

I called my Chevy dealer and they will be fixing it, free of charge. I also purchased an extended warranty and they are covering it because I just purchased the car, if I had it for 6 month to a year, I would have had to use the extended warranty and pay a deductible of I believe $500.00. I'm not impressed with Chevy and I'm a Chevy fan!!!!!

- bethjo23, Morrisville, US

Sep 292017

Equinox LT 2.4L

Went to a softball tournament for my daughter an hour and half away. On the way there started hearing a ticking noise. Couldn't figure out where it was coming from or why (only 42,000 on the car). Listened to this noise all weekend. No lights come on the dash board.

Drive home 2 days later and decide I would check the oil. There was none on the stick. I assumed the oil changing place I took my car forgot to put oil in it. Put oil in the car and the noise stopped. Kept check on the oil and noticed that the car was consuming oil every 1000 to 1200 miles.

I had a van previously for 12 years, lots of problems. Wanted to get something dependable. Brought this car from my father in law thinking, low mileage, car has been taken care of. Then start having problems with it 4 months later. I took it to the Chevrolet place and was told my warranty expired September 15, 2017. This was February 2018. Decided to have the place I take my car for oil changes to see if they could fix it. Once they got it and starting digging and found a bulletin on it due to oil consumption. I took the papers that they printed out for me to the dealership where the car was purchased and showed them.

Service Manager comes back and says my VIN number is not covered under recall and of course I'm out of warranty. At this point I have 52,000 miles. He talks to us like we are stupid when we tell him it is losing a lot of oil. He says to us: "well my car is a new car and it uses oil, all cars do". We tell him not like this. He then proceeds to tell us, "that they usually only see this problem when older couples have a car, and they don't drive it that much. These cars are meant for driving" (How does this make any sense????) I purchased it from my father-in-law who was of course older - he was not the problem.

He wants us to do a oil consumption test. Drive the 1000 miles and bring it back. In two weeks time I have done this. I take the car back and I am told I have no oil in my car. So now they tell me we can call GM and see if they will be willing to help pay for the repairs. Says, they have a calculator depending on mileage, blah blah blah.

Why are they not paying for the entire thing? No car should use that much oil when it is only 4 years old!! Repairs ended up being $3000.00. Which we have to pay $1500.00.

I had read online about all these problems with the Equinox and how similar they were to mine. I can not understand how this many people can complain about the same thing and GM not fixing the problem themselves without us having to pay for it.

- Kimberly C., Winston Salem, US

Sep 012015

Equinox

I took my 2013 Chevy Equinox in for an oil change back in 2015. I dropped vehicle off and received a call later from the company saying that my vehicle was out of oil and I would have to sign a form. I have never had a vehicle out of oil. After that, starting noticing that around 2,000 miles into an oil change, the engine would start making a weird noise only to find out there was no oil in vehicle again. So put oil in and every 1,000 miles have to add more oil. Paying for a full synthetic oil change is expensive and having to add oil is ridiculous! Researched this issue only to find so many complaints about this issue and nothing being done about it. Not going to waste my time going into dealership only to be told nothing can be done. So I just keep adding oil and hope it keeps running but from what I have read, one day it will just not. I am appalled that Chevy doesn't have the decency to stand behind a defective product when there is an obvious issue with these vehicles. If anyone has any advice on what to do to get Chevy to fix this at no cost to us who purchased this vehicle from them, I would like to know what to do next. I don't have thousands of dollars sitting around to fix an expense like this, still paying on vehicle.

Update from May 1, 2018: Hi Traci,

Good day from the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center. Please consider this as a confirmation that we have received your email. In addition, I have added the information you provided to service request 8-4127389550.

I have processed the information on your 2013 Chevrolet Equinox (VIN 2GNFLNEKXD6243179) and there is Product Safety Recall 25302 for the Front Wiper Transmission corrosion Failure that needs to be addressed. Recalls are Vehicle Identification Number (VIN) specific, not all vehicles of a model year are necessarily affected. We do not see any Special Coverage 14482 for the Plugged PCV Orifice Intake Manifold.

Since you are experiencing a vehicle concern and there is an open recall on your vehicle, we would urge you to visit your local Chevrolet dealer for diagnosis and assistance. Our specially trained GM Certified Technicians are the experts when it comes to GM vehicles and with the help of the most advanced tools they have, they can definitely tell the root cause of the problem, hence, can formulate the most appropriate solution to solve it. Having your vehicle repaired at a certified Chevrolet dealership is practically the best thing to do due to following reasons:

* GM holds its dealers to the highest standards in the automotive industry * GM dealers provide GM certified service and install GM genuine parts, many with a limited lifetime parts warranty * GM dealers provide a complete "state of health" check for the vehicle, not just a diagnosis of the issue at hand * 4,300 GM dealers nationwide, with over 100 years of automotive experience

In the unlikely event that you encounter any issues with the parts replaced, you have parts warranty to cover repair and replacement for a period of 12 months, unlimited miles. Note that since the warranty has expired, diagnosis costs and oil consumption test will be at your expense.

Please respond back with the name of your preferred date and time for the visit, and we will be more than glad to assist you in setting up the appointment.

If you prefer to expedite the handling of your concern, please contact the Chevrolet Customer Assistance Center at 1-800-222-1020. Customer Relationship Specialists are available Monday through Saturday from 8:00 a.m. to 9:00 p.m. EST.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact Chevrolet.

Chevrolet Customer Assistance Team

[SR:8-4127389550]

Update from May 1, 2018: Basically saying not their problem and I have to bear the cost for their defective product. No happy at all.

- Traci P., Wahoo, US

Mar 012018

Equinox LT

2013 Equinox LT, purchased new. Soon after the warranty expired it started using more and more oil. I was up to 2 qts a week for the last 6 months. No leaks. just burning oil. I knew the end result would be to replace the engine or rings. 2 weeks ago the main seal blew and the engine died. Large family with a single car hurts the income when you have to spend that kind of money on top of a monthly payment. $ 4,600 dollars later I have a new engine. Please keep the complaints coming. They can reimbursement us for any previous repairs made to this specific problem if they take action.

- John C., Montgomery City, US

Jan 022018

Equinox LT AWD 4

Starting around January 2018, my truck starting consuming a lot of oil. My oil light would come on and I notice within 2 weeks of getting a oil change, my oil was excessively low again. I wasn't sure exactly what was going on, but added oil. I started adding oil almost every other week. I starting realizing I was getting oil changes almost every 4 weeks. It really stared to upset me but I couldn't figure out why. The check engine light came on and I took it to Pep Boys. I got a tune up and they fixed everything that they could see was wrong, but they could not tell why the check engine light wouldn't go off. The I stared driving less and less and getting more upset and then I went on line and saw more complaints from others that need to be address by GM

- Lillie C., Baltimore, US