2002 Chevrolet Impala engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2002 Chevrolet Impala:

2002 Chevrolet Impala Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Oct 102013

Impala 6-cyl

Factory installed security system won't let me start the car, I have to wait anywhere from 15-45 minutes before it starts, and that is not safe to be stranded with the family. I'm not the first person with this problem, and I hope you can do something to help me solve it. Thank you.

- Houston, TX, USA

Aug 212013

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that while driving 70 mph, the vehicle caught on fire without warning. The contact was able to move off the roadway and called the fire department to extinguish the fire. No one was injured. The fire department did not state what caused the fire. After the failure, the contact received notification of NHTSA campaign I.D. number 09V116000 (engine and engine cooling) and called the manufacturer. The manufacturer stated that by law, they were not responsible to remedy the vehicle due to the age of the vehicle. The failure mileage was 160,000.

- Hawkinsville, GA, USA

Jul 232013

Impala

The vehicle started smoking while driving down the highway at 65 miles per hour, it lost power. I pulled over and had the vehicle towed to a mechanic. The mechanic said that the piston broke, and a portion of the piston flew through the oil pan. This vehicle has been very well maintained. This should not have happened.

- Johnson Creek, WI, USA

Jun 102013

Impala

The contact owns a 2002 Chevrolet Impala. The contact stated that he attempted to start the vehicle after being turned off for one week and the engine exploded. There were no injuries. A fire report was provided by the fire department. The failure was not diagnosed nor was the vehicle repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 177,847.

- Tabor City, NC, USA

Nov 132012

Impala 6-cyl

Intake manifold leak, replaced the engine. Intermediate no starts, vehicle cuts off in 5 mins of driving, turn signals works sometimes.. car is dangerous to drive and I have almost had several accidents because of the issues.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Dec 122007

Impala 6-cyl

Safety flashes on dashboard and car will not start for 10 to 15 minutes. It happens totally at random times in all kinds of weather. Disconnecting the battery does not help nor does resetting a fuse with a kill switch. This is a widely known problem why isn't there a recall" I was told from a dealer it was a computer issue and could be fixed for around 1000 dollars. I want to buy american cars but do I have to suffer because of this choice" what an awful inconvenience.

- Toms River, NJ, USA

Jun 162012

Impala 6-cyl

For the past 2-3 years the security light will come on and flash about 10 minutes. During that time I have to sit with the key in the ignition and the ignition switched back until the security light stops, which then the care will start. About a month ago same constant problem except now after the security light stops flashing car won't start at all. I've gotten new battery and had alternator checked and both are good. The security pass code dealing with the keys or some mess I was told which will cost $500.-$600. Omg!!!!! really. Is there a recall or something for this. GMC please do better. Last american made car that I will purchase.

- Warner Robins, GA, USA

Jun 062012

Impala

Car won't start and car will just turn off while im driving, its not safe to drive.

- Falfurrias , TX, USA