ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: There are serious power steering concerns for the Traverse. Data shows that owners are having a difficult time with their power steering quitting, particularly at low speeds.

2010 Chevrolet Traverse steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Chevrolet Traverse:

2010 Chevrolet Traverse Owner Comments (Page 3 of 15)

Feb 012016

Traverse

While driving at a lower speed and usually while turning into a parking space, my steering wheel locks up and does not turn. This happens while turning both directions, left and right. I literally have to plan my trip to my destination according to my steering wheel. I can not park between cars in a parking lot. I no longer allow to my daughter to drive me car due to the steering problem. I then began reading all the complaints concerning this issue. I have always been a Chevrolet customer, along with my parents. Chevrolet should have issued a recall months ago according to all documented problems. I also read there is a court case on this issue. I will need to get my steering fixed as I no longer trust my car driving and parking. I was hoping there was a recall on this steering issue.

- Port Royal, PA, USA

Jul 062016

Traverse

Steering becomes very difficult turning at low speeds parking merging into traffic or navigating a turn this is an extremely dangerous occurrence that can cause serious accidents and bodily harm as well as serious physical damage to property. This has occurred on many occasions taking turns while in traffic at low speed entering a parking space. I love the vehicle itself and I am very disappointed after seeing thousands of complaints posted that Chevy has not stepped up to the plate to address this issue. This is a major safety concern! the dealers don't even know exactly what the issue is. They are going from recommending replacing the transmission to rack to steering pumps etc. Let's not wait until lives are lost over this as we have seen in the past! something should be done immediately to rectify this problem. If multiple service bulletins have been issued then you are aware there is a problem. Someone please do the right thing!

- Sweetwater, TN, USA

Jul 062016

Traverse

Steering becomes very difficult turning at low speeds parking merging into traffic or navigating a turn this is an extremely dangerous occurrence that can cause serious accidents and bodily harm as well as serious physical damage to property. This has occurred on many occasions taking turns while in traffic at low speed entering a parking space and has also occurred while my youngest, a fairly new driver was at the wheel. I love the vehicle itself and I am very disappointed after seeing thousands of complaints posted that Chevy has not stepped up to the plate to address this issue. This is a major safety concern! the dealers don't even know exactly what the issue is. They are going from recommending replacing the transmission to rack to steering pumps etc. Let's not wait until lives are lost over this as we have seen in the past! something should be done immediately to rectify this problem. If multiple service bulletins have been issued then you are aware there is a problem. Someone please do the right thing!

- Assonet, MA, USA

Jun 172016

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving 5 mph and making a right turn, the steering wheel became very difficult to turn. The contact had to apply force to the steering wheel in order to steer the vehicle. The failure recurred on numerous occasions. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 152,000.

- Calmar, IA, USA

Jun 222016

Traverse

Multiple problems with power steering. 9/30/2010 brought vehicle in for grinding noise & vibration, gear box assembly indicated as problem, replaced steering gear. 10/12/11- noise when turning: Replaced spring & rack, 10/18/11 vibration when turning, power steering pump determined as culprit, replaced pump; 5/17/12 steering making grinding noise, no fluid... replaced power steering fluid; 5/19/2012 grinding noise when turning wheel, again no fluid, inlet clamp loose, resecured & added fluid again, 6/22/2016, intermittently when go to turn power steering like a manual steering, no power steering fluid, checked, powering steering pump & steering gear determined to be cause, $ 464 for repairs! if my younger driving age children were driving, would have caused an accident.

- North Brunswick, NJ, USA

Jun 152016

Traverse

June 2016, approx. 114,000 mi - felt a lurch in stop & go traffic; flashed "service stabilitrak, " "service traction control, " "backup alerts = off". the check engine light appeared. A few miles down the road when traffic sped up, I realized I only had one gear and could not accelerate above 60mph. A serious problem on the interstate! several hours later, the check engine light remained on, but the car drove normally -- straight to the repair shop, where it was deemed to need $2400 in transmission repair due to the following fault codes: P182E & C0561. They will replace the transmission mode shift sensor and the transmission control module. The mechanic also informed us that we will eventually need a $700 repair for the control arms in the rear suspension -- ge has corrected a known fault in the parts. All this is on top of a $3000 repair done in April 2015 at 92,500 mi. For known steering defects. In that case, as the Traverse warmed up, the power steering got hard to turn. GM repaired part of the problem at no cost, replacing power steering pump and gear housing. Another mechanic completed the replacement of the rack and pinion assembly that was also part of the problem. These are both substantial defects and repairs needed in a vehicle that was expected to last much longer before needing more than routine maintenance.

- Worthington, OH, USA

May 032015

Traverse

My vehicle is just over 60,000 miles. It needs a new power steering pump (recalled) and now a new steering rack. The vehicle is very difficult to turn in parking lots and on the roads. I thought it just needed a power steering flush and so that was completed at 50,000 miles. That was after I had repaired a 700 engine coolant hose.

- Anchorage, AK, USA

Apr 152016

Traverse

The power steering stops working, especially at lower speeds. When making a turn, the steering stiffens up and make it very hard to turn. This is very dangerous as several times I have had to come to a complete stop to avoid going into the other lane. Then the steering recently gave out completely on my way to work.

- Land O Lakes, FL, USA

Mar 152016

Traverse

We have owned this vehicle for 2 years and it has been in the dealership for steering related issues 4 times. At low speeds the power steering stops working, making it hard to make the slightest turn. More than once we have almost been hit by oncoming traffic at the end of our driveway because we couldn't turn sharp enough. At first the dealership said it was part of a recall, but after fixing it 3 times they decided the problem wasn't part of the recall and charged us $1400. One week later and the car was doing the same thing. We are taking the vehicle in again. I have filed an official complaint with Chevy, we'll see if that does any good.

- Toledo, WA, USA

Jan 052016

Traverse

2010 Chevrolet Traverse transmission problem while driving the the vehicle its not changing gears at times and it slips. At times when it does not slips, it starts to make a loud muffler sound while driving and my foot is on the gas and its like forcing the vehicle to move. In order to stop the sound and slip, I sometime have to place car on park and then put on drive to re adjust. Sometimes it works and sometime it does not. Took the car to my local mechanic who diagnosed the vehicle and state that there were alot of codes for the transmission which is unusual for a transmission that new(for a 2010). I then contacted a Chevy dealer who state that there is no complaint regarding transmission. I believe this vehicle is unsafe to drive. Please help as I have two young children that is on the vehicle with me on a daily basis. This issue sometimes happen and some time it does not. The steering wheel of the vehicle also makes a sound when turning. The ac blows, but the from vent only blow air from the bottom and not through the vents. I don't know if this is part of the issue or a different issue.

- Florida, FL, USA

Jan 042016

Traverse

At slow speeds it becomes hard to steer, and it is very dangerous.

- Lincolnton, NC, USA

Dec 292015

Traverse

I took the vehicle into the GM dealership for an unrelated problem and the technician "discovered" a faulty/leaking steering gear box....totally replaced at a cost of $1386. Now, following online research, I realize that this is a very common problem and GM would appear to be circumventing reporting and a recall by having individuals "pay for the fix".....I want to document this complaint and my personal encumberance of the repair costs....the discussion online points to a common and dangerous problem that we had not "yet" experienced, but according to the technician, may have had a dangerous encounter at any time!

- Loong Beach, MS, USA

Dec 132015

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that the power steering rack and the power steering pump failed and needed to be replaced. The details were not available. In addition, the check engine warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of failure. The failure mileage was 75,827.

- Ruskin, FL, USA

Nov 152013

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver as the check engine warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering system and the engine coils failed and needed to be replaced. The power steering system was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 65,000. The VIN was not available.

- Waxahachie, TX, USA

Jul 162015

Traverse

When attempting to steer/turn at low level of speeds usually less than 5mph the steering is very stiff and requires a lot of effort to turn the vehicle. I also recently felt my steering lock up while merging onto the freeway going at a rate of 50-60 mph.

- Sahuarita, AZ, USA

Jun 012012

Traverse

Started with a whining noise at low speed approx 3 years ago and then slowley started tightening at low speed then ultimatly giving out completely. The tightening was a frightening thing as you never knew when it was going to do it and you had to be prepared for it to other wise you would have hit another car or person.

- Las Vegas, NV, USA

Apr 142014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. While driving at various speeds, there was a noise coming from the steering wheel. The vehicle was taken to a dealer who diagnosed that the steering rack needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 35,664.

- Glen Allen , VA, USA

Jun 182015

Traverse

When making left or right turns the steering wheel will stiffen making completing turns very difficult. A couple of times I had to make complete stops to avoid hitting vehicles or going into a ditch. I also noticed the steering stiffening while making slight turns while driving at normal highway speed. This is seriously putting my family in danger.

- Van Meter, IA, USA

Jun 012015

Traverse

The vehicle experiences loss of power steering at low speeds. Chevrolet issued a special warranty for the power steering pump, however when taken to the dealer, the vehicle also had a cracked steering rack. A quick internet search showed that hundreds of other drivers are experiencing the same problem. Chevrolet is only offering to fix one component of a faulty steering system, leaving drivers to foot the bill for the other faulty parts.

- Round Rock, TX, USA

Aug 192014

Traverse

The contact owns a 2010 Chevrolet Traverse. The contact stated that while driving at 20 mph, the power steering seized and become difficult to maneuver when making a right or left turned. The failure recurred each time the vehicle was driven. The vehicle was taken to a dealer but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 102,000.

- Glendal Hights, IL, USA