2017 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems: paint bubbling/rusting

Paint Bubbling/Rusting

2017 Chrysler Pacifica

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Chrysler dealer.

7.0

2. repaint (3 reports)
2017 Chrysler Pacifica body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2017 Chrysler Pacifica:

2017 Chrysler Pacifica Owner Comments

Sep 302019

Pacifica Touring L 3.6L

Barely two years into owning this car, we noticed the paint on the hood (mostly above the grill) bubbling up, peeling off, and rusting. It looked awful and we were fearful of rust damage. It wasn't until checking Google that we learned other Pacifica owners were dealing with similar issues. I took it to the dealer to report the problem, and learned that the paint was covered and they'd fix it for me. It took a week in their body shop to repair, but they did fix it up no problem. Chrysler supplied and covered the cost of a rental car, save for $26 out of my pocket in a homeland security fee of some sort. We've been driving the car for 10 months since the repair and so far, so good. No more bubbly and peeling paint.

- Emily W. D., Trenton, NJ, US

May 152020

Pacifica Touring-L 3.6L V6

click to see larger images

paint bubbling/rusting

Noticed a couple days ago that the paint is bubbled at the front edge of the hood. Dealer says Chrysler should cover it, but they had to scrape an area of it off to send in. (Looks horrible now!) Assuming they will cover it, as it's 3 years old, but what if they don't? I guess I'll be stuck paying to repaint the ugly mess. Fed up with Chrysler and the dealership right now.

Update from May 30, 2020: Chrysler agreed to fix hood, but dealer will have the van for 2-3 days. Neither Chrysler nor the dealership will give me a rental to drive, during this time. I've got 5 kids and live an hour from the dealership.

- Chasity D., Adams, US

Mar 172020

Pacifica Touring L V6

Just realized today, 8-03-2019, that this problem is getting worse -- the entire front edge of the hood! This is ridiculous on a2017 model! It appears from what I ha e read Chrysler isn't owning up to the problem. Cars don't usually start rusting on the hood!! Just another reason I do not like this car!

- daisee123, Sabetha, US

Jul 152019

Pacifica ES 3.2L

I have been a Chysler mini van owner for 30 years and never had this problem. Blistering paint around hood edges.

- Mark M., Greenville, US

Aug 012019

Pacifica Touring L 3.6L

This is obviously a manufacturing defect, and I am aware of numerous other complaining Pacifica owners online. Seems the preparation of the body panels was not properly done or the paint products used had a negative interaction, whatever, the paint is bubbling on and around the hood on my car. I would like chrysler to repair the damage and repaint the affected areas, a minor repair for a professional body shop, as it negatively affects the value of my otherwise perfectly good vehicle. This is a clear manufacturer's defect, chrysler is responsible, I expect them to step up and take care of this problem promptly.

- Chris D., La Fayette, GA, US

May 012019

Pacifica Limited 3.6L

Apparently, Chrysler has used some inferior material on their hoods, especially around the edges. The paint is already bubbling up along the front edge of the hood. It appears as if rust has already started to form beneath the paint causing it to bubble up. I expect it is just a matter of time before the paint starts flaking off! Just went outside the 36,000 warranty and our Premium Extended warranty says it doesn't cover paint. I've researched this issue and found many others are having the same issue. Some have had hood repainted and some have had hood replaced. I will be headed to dealership soon to see how they intend to remedy my issue.

Stay Tuned,

T. Doty

Scottsburg, IN

- Trace D., Scottsburg, IN, US

Mar 012019

Pacifica Limited

Paint started bubbling on the lip of the hood, near the left corner and is spreading.

- Jesse F., Lansdale, PA, US

May 012019

Pacifica Tour L

I see there are other complaints like mine. The paint on the hood, where it meets the front of the car, is blistering/bubbling up in 4 areas. From what I've seen here, I guess it will be a problem to have the dealership take care of this issue. Any suggestions???

Thanks

- Dan D., Elmwood Park, IL, US

Jan 152018

Pacifica Touring 3.2vy

I have been trying to get it taken care of for nearly a year. Bubbles on the hood, keep getting more. Paint has peeled off of the roof. Dealer told me to get estimate. It came in at $5000 to take care of all paint issues. They refused that and offered me $1500. I refused, After a bit I called again. They told me to get another estimate. I overlooked a lot and the estimate came back at $2500. Again they offered me $1500.

I called Chrysler, they acted very nice until they said they could not override the dealership offer. I posted online, two different people reached out to me, but never got back after I gave them the info they requested. The body shop said they could do the hood, but not blend the paint, and would have to skip doing where the paint is gone on the roof. I have been driving Caravans since 1987. If this is not resolved to my liking, I’m not likely to own another Chrysler product and will tell others the same. This really sucks!

- Gary M., Cincinnatus, NY, US

Aug 242018

Pacifica

I noticed from passenger side to drivers side that the paint along the front edge of the hood of my 2017 Pacificia is bubbled up - like its rusting from the inside out. This car has been stored in the garage overnight since the day we bought it. We live in IL so its only seen 1 winter since we bought it last year. Seriously disappointed. Have an appointment with Service on 9/5 so they can take pictures and begin the run around with Chrysler on this.

Found a forum FULL of the same complaint and Chrysler is resolving this issue by ignoring it until car owner really pushes the issue - at which point they will pay for the van to go to a body shop for repaint/refinishing.... OR in some cases they are replacing the hood entirely. The repaint isn't going to be a solution for me - it's only a matter of time until the repaint bubbles up too...

- Kyla R., Dundee, IL, US