CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Edge has its fair share of problems, but chief among them is an annoying “door ajar” warning light that won’t shut off even when the door is most definitely closed. While the retina-burning, ever-present false reminder on your dashboard is bad, it points to a deeper problem that can drain the battery, leave the doors unlocked while in motion, or render the key fob useless.

2013 Ford Edge engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Edge:

2013 Ford Edge Owner Comments (Page 1 of 7)

Sep 192020

Edge

My 2013 Ford Edge has been having issues with the driver's door latch sensor. The sensor does not work properly and the vehicle computer is constantly thinking that my door is ajar. It illuminates the interior lights causing distractions and safety issues for me trying to drive and other drivers around me, especially since I work 3rd shift and do a lot of nighttime driving. It has drained my battery numerous times due to it setting my alarm off intermittently because it all of the sudden thinks my door is open when I have it parked. I have read so many complaints of this issue. This should have been a recall by Ford years ago as this is a safety hazard. Ford sent a letter out stating that they would do a one-time courtesy fix for people having this problem, however, they listed requirements for mileage and age of vehicle that you had to meet to have them fix it. So even though I have owned this car since 35,000 miles, they told me that I didn't qualify. Ford is not going to step up on their own and be responsible about this, they need it to be forced on them to do so.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Sep 012020

Edge

Car shut off while I was driving 65mph in motion on highway no warning, I am very frighten to drive the vehicle it happened 3 times prior to the first one, mechanic has no idea why this is happening. This is very dangerous and a serious matter

- Hillside, NJ, USA

Aug 312020

Edge

Driving heard a clunk sound and car went into limp mode. Going 50 mph on straight roadway. The wrench light came on and vehicle continued in limp mode. Pulled over and put on emergency flashers. Car had to be towed to dealership. They put on machine to check codes and found nothing and there was error no code stored. Before they can do anything to fix vehicle they need it to replicate error. The wrench light is out, but now worried to drive because nothing was resolved.

- Sandston, VA, USA

Aug 072020

Edge

While driving in town car lost power and limped along. Yellow/orange wrench light came on. Pulled over turned engine off then restarted, worked fine. Manual said power train loss of power. Three times it's happened and Ford canT find code to determine problem. No confidence in car. If happened on highway at high speeds there probably would have been major accident

- Muncie, IN, USA

Jun 192020

Edge

Fuel leaks while filling tank. Fuel runs out below mud flap.

- Huntington Beach, CA, USA

May 222020

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while in park, the vehicle stalled the oil light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where a road test was performed. The technician was unable to diagnose the failure. The dealer was not called. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 138,602.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Apr 062020

Edge

Smelling fumes inside the car when driving and it lingers the vehicles is parked, even smell fumes inside the car the next day. Smells like exhaust fumes. It occurs whether I'm on the street or highway.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Jun 212019

Edge

Since July of 2019 until I had it repaired end of January 2020. My car would shut off(the engine) completely go into limp mode-five times in the past six months thank god the drivers behind me were alert enough to notice my car go into limp mode-I could've been killed-literally it was 55 miles per hour I would go or sometimes 25 mph-I took it to different Ford dealers and it was stated wait til a light goes on so they could make a diagnosis or copy a code-well soon as I started the engine it would be drivable til boom it would shut off again in couple of weeks with no warning. Finally, I did some research about the throttle body and guess what told a dealer to replace it and hasn't shut off since. Thank god I did my own research-states there are currently recalls but guess what enough people haven't complained about the 2013 Edge for it to be on the recall list-its an easy fix-and my sons could have lost a mother-husband could've lost a wife and elderly parents loose there primary caregiver all because of a part which is an easy fix. I beg you please add the 2013 Ford Edge on recall not because of the money-but because I got no help from mechanics from three Ford dealer-I was told wait til a diagnostic light comes on-well guess what the last Ford dealer I went to which was 100 miles round trip told me with this part a diagnostic light does not come on-had I not done my research and taken it to right Ford dealer I could've been killed-dont let this happen to someone who doesn't have time to do the research-alert them with a recall-and please let me know if you do put it on recall--I would appreciate a refund-for my time and trouble. And for putting my life in danger-you can't put a price on that!!!!!!!!!!

- Patton, PA, USA

Sep 152019

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that while driving at an unspecified speed, the brakes malfunctioned and failed to immediately stop the vehicle causing the stopping distance to be extended. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic who replaced the brake pad and rotors however, the failure recurred. The check engine warning light illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was taken back to the mechanic who diagnosed that the brake booster needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure but no assistance was offered. The local dealer was not notified. The failure mileage was 135,000.

- Rushville, IN, USA

Jul 262018

Edge

The speed of my car was limited to no more than 15 mph. Luckily this happended in a parking lot and not on the freeway. The car was towed to a Ford dealer and the problem was diagnosed as a faulty electronic throttle body (etb). This component was recalled in customer satisfaction program 16B23. However, it was only issued for 2011-2012 model year Edge and mkx vehicles equipped with 3.5L or 3.7L engines. Given the severity of this issue, it seems that the recall should be looked at for the 2013 Ford Edge as well.

- Foothill Ranch, CA, USA

Jan 172020

Edge

While the vehicle is in motion at highway speeds, the transmission fails to shift into 5th or 6th gear causing excessive rpms, noise, and shaking to the frame at speeds above 50 mph. This could be potentially hazardous and cause severe transmission damage over a short period of time if not repaired.

- Dunkirk, MD, USA

Dec 282019

Edge

While driving at approximately 55-60 miles per hour the traction control and traction control off light lit up and a red brake malfunction light came on and the engine stopped while the car was in motion. We coasted to the side of the road and it took two attempts to start it again. The traction control light and traction control off light is still on. It happen three times so far and two of those times was while we were on the interstate in traffic travelling at 60-70 mph. This was not safe at all. When it shuts off there is a big thud sound and the traction control, traction control off and a red brake malfunction light comes on. After the second time there is now a rattle. I have the car at home now but it has a hesitation in it when it is first started this all has happened in the last 4 days.

- Winter Haven, FL, USA

Dec 142019

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. The contact stated that there was an abnormal odor of fuel detected inside and outside of the vehicle. There were no warning indicators illuminated. The vehicle was towed to gary crossley Ford (8050 N church rd, Kansas City, mo 64158, (816) 781-4844) where it was diagnosed that the damper was leaking. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and provided case number: Cas -25200727-39D025. No further assistance was provided. The failure mileage was 111,000.

- Seward, NE, USA

Oct 292019

Edge

My 2013 Ford Edge randomly stalls doesn't matter if I'm turning going slow or straight and going fast. The wrench light will show up. I usually stop, shut it down and restart it. It's pretty frightening. I brought it to the repair shop and they said it might be the throttle bottle. Got that cleaned up which was to dirty and still stalling.

- Fort Mill, SC, USA

Sep 272019

Edge

The engine stopped while in motion (on multiple occasions), usually when coming to a stop or turning. I lost steering control as well. The error "low engine oil pressure" appeared on panel. After putting car in park and attempting to restart the car, it usually would restart right away. On one occasion, it took 2 attempts to start it. Fortunately, there weren't any cars directly behind me or it would've likely caused an accident. A mechanic cleaned the throttle body, replaced a plug, and replaced a misfiring cylinder. The issue has not happened again in the 2 days since then.

- Ringgold, GA, USA

Aug 232019

Edge

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Edge. While driving approximately 50-55 mph, the service engine soon warning indicator illuminated and the vehicle stalled. The contact was able to restart the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The dealer was not contacted. The contact stated that the failure was intermittent. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 63,000.

- Timmonsville, SC, USA

Sep 132019

Edge

This car is horrible. Multiple safety issues! first, my axle needs to be redone. Clicking and popping with all turns. Secondly, the electronics are haywire, with the ac blowing hot on one side and cold on the other and not starting with brand new batteries. Third, the brake system... had the booster go out. Ford replaced and upon the drive back, it failed even worse locking my engine, smoke fromthe brakes being locked up. I had to tow back on my expense and rent a car for days. The replaced the booster, but I still have even worsening brake issues. Ford told me I need a new ABS and master cylinder. It only did this after the 2 failed boosters... now if I hit a bump or gravel while pressing the brakes, my brakes go out! I mean they fail! luckily I haven't hit anyone yet. It's off and on but happens with no warning. The pedal goes all the way to the floor and there's the constant sound of hissing and air. I have contacted Ford multiple times which is horrible and taken to the dealership where I leave with no problems until the next unexpected blow out on the brakes. All you have to do is google this model and there are tons and tons of reports of complaints for the same issue. Ford should stand by their products and fix to avoid injuries, death and lawsuits. I had no issues with my car until other than the initial brake booster failure, until my car was left with smoke all under my car from the second brake booster. I got one thing fixed only to have major problems after. How is that fair" obviously Ford didn't fix correctly and/or gave me bad equipment which burned my system up. Now I need to pay for my ABS to be fixed" shame on Ford! very dangerous. Will never buy Ford again. At least the foreign cars stand by their products. Buyers beware the Edge is tainted.

- Loganville, GA, USA

Sep 092019

Edge

Throttle body malfunction. Driving at 45mph car suddenly slows to 2 mph. Shut off car start again, same thing happens. Wrench light comes on. Ford has extended warranty coverage on earlier Ford Edge models but does not on the 2013 Edge. This is the identical problem and repair ( Ford service diagnosed) at a cost of $600. Very dangerous problem to occur suddenly slowing to a crawl in fast moving traffic. Should have been a recall.

- Apex, NC, USA

Jul 152019

Edge

2013 Ford Edge limited 45K miles tampa fl - car will randomly go into limp mode without warning at any time, all lights on dash come on along with the wrench. This has happened on three different occasions, two on a busy 4 lane city street above 40 mph and the last was while merging onto the interstate above 50 mph. This is a very dangerous defect that will eventually result in an accident. Once in limp mode I will have to pull over, stop and restart the car at which point the car drives normal. Dealer can't replicate the fault, so they can't do anything. I have an extended warranty through 75K miles but can't use that either as the Ford dealer can't replicate the problem. Through research I found the same symptoms on other Ford where the throttle body was an issue including my year Edge. Ford did a recall on a bunch but my year and model were not included. Clearly Ford needs to expand their recall as this is extremely unsafe.

- Valrico, FL, USA

Aug 172019

Edge

My car will all of a sudden stop excels rating at high speeds. The rpms increase as the speeds decreases. The Ford dealerships can not figure it out as it has to be doing it. It can happen 30 minutes into driving and then maybe 1.5 hours is, there is no consistency. It has happens for the past year. And now tracing for the past summer it is very anxious driving this car. I am not sure my car was cleared really with all the recalls.

- Raleigh, NC, USA