8.0

2009 Ford Escape brakes problems

2009 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Mar 142018

Escape XLT 3.0L V6

I have been experiencing the same problems that a lot of people have been having, spongy brake pedal, pedal goes to the floor. It started out doing it just a little here and there, but lately it has been worse, every day, but not always. Scary to drive. Didn't know what was wrong originally, replaced all rotors, drums, pads, wheel cylinders, and calipers and it was still happening. Was about ready to replace the master cylinder, but I went online and saw all the complaints about the brakes on the 2009 escape. My vehicle has 165,000 miles on it and isn't worth much more than it would cost to have the abs control module fixed, (over 1,000 dollars). So I disabled the abs by removing the 50 amp fuse for the abs under the hood. To be honest it is the best braking now that I ever had. I did start driving when there was no abs and I really don't care for abs braking. The only downfall is that you will not have abs, or traction control by doing this, and the abs and traction control lights will light up on the dashboard. I know this is not a true fix, but no more pedal to the floor, or spongy pedal. I'm sure some people would not agree with me on this fix, but it works for me.

- Leonard R., New Athens, US

Nov 082016

Escape 3.5L

coinciding master cylinder and hcu failure

The car had spongy brakes off and on for a few months. When we took it into Ford, they said it needed pads and a new master cylinder. Those were replaced at a cost of almost $1000.00. The mechanic then recommended that we needed a new Hydraulic Control Unit. That was replaced at a cost of $2000.00. When we drove the car when leaving the dealership, we realized the brakes did not feel better. We took the car back, they looked at it again, and said that they were fixed as far as they were concerned, though still spongy.

- Susan D., Eureka Springs, AR, US