ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2013 Ford Escape has been in the news quite a bit and for all the wrong reasons. Within a few months of its release the SUV was recalled three times, twice because of engine fires.

In July 2012, due to a fuel line that could split and leak, Ford told owners to park their cars because even driving to the dealership for repairs was deemed too dangerous. Instead, in a somewhat unprecedented move, Ford sent tow trucks to pick up the affected vehicles and handed out rental cars while the owners waited for repairs.

A few months later the Escape was recalled again because antifreeze could leak out onto the engine due to a freeze plug becoming dislodged. As the coolant hit the hot engine there was, once again, a threat for fire.

The 2013 is the first model year of the Escape's 3rd generation and proves once again that you want to avoid the first model year when at all possible.

2013 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Escape:

2013 Ford Escape Owner Comments (Page 9 of 24)

Aug 032017

Escape

After purchasing a 2103 Ford Escape about six months later I noticed a low coolant light on in the vehicle. I took it to the Ford dealership who reported the coolant bypass valve needed repair. The vehicle was no longer under warranty so I paid out of pocket for the repair. Six months later the low coolant light is on again and heading to the dealership for another repair. There are numerous complaints regarding this issue and the repeated repairs. We as owners of Ford Escape should not be assuming the cost of repair every six months for something that should be on a recall list.

- Janesville, WI, USA

Jul 032017

Escape

Coolant water pump failure, after belt come off locking steering wheel

- Bridgeport, CA, USA

Jun 282017

Escape

If this happened on the interstate we could be killed(dead). Our Escape has only 10,800 miles on it, and is driven by my wife. She drove it intown for about 15 miles 2 days previously. On this day, she started the car. Idled it for about 3 minutes, put it in gear and 400 ft. Later the dash light said shut down engine, overheat. The gas pedal was inop.. the car would only go about 1 mile per hour. No matter what I did to the gas pedal it would not allow the car to do more than idle. I checked under the hood and saw no leaks, the radiator reservoir was about 1/2 full. We had the car towed to landmark Ford in spfd, il 5 days later they told me that the radiator hose had a hole in it. (they threw the hose away and would not let me see it) we have absolutely no leakage stains on our driveway. They charged me $429.49 to replace the radiator hose. I checked the cost of the motorcraft hose at the autoparts store it was $28.66. I am long ago retired, but was certified in many different engine repair types. The 1st thing we always checked was the thermostat. They did not test or replace the thermostat according to their bill. I suspect fraud from the dealer, but this is not your concern. What is the concern is the probable cause of injury or death when the engine computer lites the dash and stops the accelerator function. On a highway that can and probably will cause an accident.. thank you --james keller, 217-529-2422

- Springfield, IL, USA

Jun 112017

Escape

Engine caught on fire and was only less than 5 miles from home, no warning signs no computer indicating problems, no oil leaks no coolant problems. Happened on my way to work, driving on a city street going 40mph, happened around 615am. Smoke -was pouring out of the engine compartment, pulled into a 7-11 gas station and a concerned citizen came to help, he opened the hood and removed the engine cover and I saw flames coming from the back of the engine by the firewall, he used an extinguisher to put it out. Car was towed to my house and insurance called, it was sent to a garage per insurance but it was then sent onto a Ford dealership, they are now looking to see if it is caused by a recall.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Jun 122017

Escape

2013 Ford Escape SE 1.6 L 4cyl I hope there is an investigation that is on going. My Ford is over heating and sometimes it wont start because of a software fix that was supposed to fix the problem. Turns out it delays the inevitable. My car is now at the Ford dealer for the second time. To make things worse, I woke up one day and my power steering didnt work. I go to work with no power steering and when I start it again it works, very weird. All in all, I do not think Ford did enough. The coolant system or the engine needs to be replaced.

- Tampa, FL, USA

May 012017

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the vehicle shook and suddenly stalled. The contact had to place the vehicle in neutral and restart the vehicle before the gear could be switched to drive once the vehicle was started. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer (auto nation) where it was diagnosed, but the cause of the failure could not be identified. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 64,000.

- St. Petersburg, FL, USA

Apr 292017

Escape

Catastrophic loss of braking at 65 mph on highway without warning. Saturday evening April, 29, 2017 on I-85 southbound while slowing from 65 mph to exit at South hill, va driver (daughter) applied brakes and had no power assist. This produced a pedal that was stiff and her entire body weight had to be used to cause any slowing. The vehicle was stopped using the grade of the ramp and E brake. The vehicle had no warning lights or indications of failure. After towing it home Sunday April 30th it was taken to the dealership. They diagnosed a vacuum pump failure. The vacuum pump being solely responsible for the braking system causes immediate loss of braking on failure. The failure was caused by conditions similar to those present in the belt driven vacuum pump on 2011-2012 Ford F-150 ecoboost. Several days later when the dealership attempted to fix the vacuum pump they found that the failure caused the cam core coupler to shear. This allowed metal shards into the oil which then carried them to the engine and turbo damaging both. The dealership came back with an estimate of $6000 for just the repairs with a new engine, however they informed us that the turbo needed to be replaced as well due to the damage. Workers at the dealership reported that the cost to fix the car far outstripped the residual value. Mileage failure was 60,921. Due to the 921 miles Ford has thus far refused to consider any reconciliation. After extensive research we have found that this failure is common among ecoboost engines and may be more prevalent than immediately evident. A braking failure of this magnitude could easily cause serious injuries or fatalities. In the case of most wrecks involving privately owned vehicles thorough investigation of cause is uncommon. If the occupants were unable to recall or communicate the cause of the wreck due to injury or death it would go unreported.

- Kernersville, NC, USA

Jun 012017

Escape

Engine coolant leaks, engine failure, not corrected by dealer

- Guaynabo, PR, USA

Apr 052017

Escape

2013 Ford kuga 60,000 km. Automatic transmission. Engine stalls at random while driving. Stalls both at high and low speeds. Has been into dealer for service for two months, for the first 7 weeks they "could not fix it because they could not find an error code". after I drove it in a circle around the dealer for hours I was able to show them the problem and they obtained an error code, 'solenoid'. Ford says "maybe just replace whole transmission because we're not sure of the problem"

- Garda Vr, AE, USA

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving 45 mph, the engine stalled and the low coolant warning indicator illuminated. The contact pulled over to the side of the road. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The contact replaced the coolant in the vehicle. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 77,000.

- Newport News, VA, USA

May 202017

Escape

I went to a used car dealership on 05/20/2017, saw the 2013 Ford Escape and was very interested. I test drove the car multiple times, checked for everything I knew to check for and decided that I wanted to purchase the vehicle. On my drive home ( 2 hour drive) because I have always shopped through the same dealer, and halfway home my check engine light came on. I took it to the shop yesterday 05/23/2017 and found out that the turbocharger engine was not working, I wasn't even aware that this car had a turbo charger engine.. kind of surprised Ford would put a turbocharge engine in a SUV. Anyway, I was informed that the part wouldn't cause immediate damage, but eventually the turbo engine would start falling apart and would cause metal debris to shoot into my exhaust, causing a whole world of other issues. The part to have replaced is on back order until August because apparently many people with the same car are having the same issues. Its going to cost me $1400 to fix this issues because I bought the car "as is". not only that, but the mechanic said that the car doesn't even need a turbocharger engine, but since it was built in, its something you have to keep, you cant just get rid of it. And approximately every 50K miles, its going to need replaced again!!! I was never made aware of any of this when I purchased the car, and am now stuck paying 11K for a car that isn't worth anything to anyone who knows about the major issues it will continue to have. Not to mention the list of insane recalls. I feel like I was lied to, mislead about the condition of the car but unfortunately, as far as I can tell, there isn't anything I can do about it. Anyone can contact me with suggestions or comments through my personal email : ililbitcrazy1984@gmail.com.

- Springfield, MO, USA

Escape

Intermittent check engine light (happens when in park or when driving). Hooked up to code reader and got P026B7; found online that the the engine coolant bypass valve is defective, but not recalled (tsb 13-02-15). Dealer confirms code and that engine coolant bypass valve is defective and should be replaced but referenced tsb 16-0052. Despite the part being so defective it has been discontinued, redesigned, and replaced the dealer claims it isn't covered under any form of warranty.

- New York, NY, USA

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving at unknown speeds, the vehicle overheated and stalled and the engine warning indicator illuminated. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The VIN was unknown. The failure mileage was approximately 70,000.

- Rochester, NY, USA

Dec 122016

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving various speeds, the vehicle stalled and the instrument panel indicators illuminated. The vehicle was unable to restart and was towed to a dealer. On different occasions, the contact smelled an abnormal fuel odor coming from the ventilation. The dealer was unable to duplicate the failure, but noticed that coolant was missing. The contact continued to refill the coolant in the vehicle, but it continued to deplete. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and opened case number: Cas12347863. The failure mileage was approximately 86,000.

- Scranton, PA, USA

May 022017

Escape

My 2013 Escape is having all of the issues that are talked about in the recall of 2014 Escapes regarding low engine coolant causing engine fires. The water pump has already needed to be replaced and now the "low engine coolant" warning comes on repeatedly. Why are 2013 Escapes not included in the recall announced in March?

- Pacific Palisades, CA, USA

Apr 042017

Escape

Our Escape developed a cracked cylinder head that is allowing coolant to leak into the engine. We purchased it used less than two years ago. At the time it had 55K miles and no active recalls. Currently there is 65K miles on the Escape. Multiple recalls for this engine has been issued many have which resulted in a similar engine problem. Supposedly Ford has performed the recall work this our car, but this problem has come up. They want us to pay for the repair work even though it seems likely that it's related to recall repairs that were not correctly completed. The recalls associated with this engine are #13V583000, 12V551000, 12V431000. The first involves a cracked head and the other two involve leaking coolant (we've lost an entire reserve tank in a short period of time). When we took it in the first time to have it checked they performed a pressure test and could not locate any coolant leaks and told us to continue driving it until it registered with low coolant again. This second time was when we brought it in and they told us about the cracked cylinder head.

- Frederick, MD, USA

Apr 252017

Escape

The contact owns a 2013 Ford Escape. While driving unknown speeds, a fuel odor entered the vehicle and the engine seized without warning. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the fuel line was ruptured and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 105,000.

- Morgantown, NC, USA

Apr 022017

Escape

I was driving on highway 70 into Kansas City with my two young children. I noticed the vehicle smoking and pulled over onto an off ramp. I popped the hood and before I could completely open it, more smoke came billowing out. I quickly grabbed my children out of the vehicle and within 30 seconds the engine was engulfed in flames.

- Grain Valley, MO, USA

Apr 132017

Escape

My car will not hold coolant. Has been to shop many times.overheats. Shuts down. A huge recall on this however Ford won't fix mine because it was already recalled for same reason in 2014 and supposedly fixed. It's dangerous and Ford won't work w me at all. Engines have been reported engine fires due to this. Has happened about 20 times in a year and a half. They won't fix it.

- Centennial, CO, USA

Apr 122017

Escape

Car is loosing coolant and smoking when started. Car smells like something is burning.

- Stuart, FL, USA