2018 Ford Escape engine problems: check engine light on, misfires

Check Engine Light On, Misfires

2018 Ford Escape

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

7.5

1. replace engine (4 reports)
2018 Ford Escape engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Ford Escape:

2018 Ford Escape Owner Comments

Sep 012019

Escape Titanium 2.0L Ecoboost

Dealer surprised at replacement failure w/i 72 hours. Ford advised Dealer to add a specific fluid to coolant to validate if coolant leaking into cylinder. Confirmed. Service Agent went to Dealer management to advise. Dealer requested a factory engine replacement engine and provided a loaner SUV for duration of repair. I asked and reiterated - this will be a new factory engine not a rebuilt engine with the same specs. Also queried that the dealer wasn't attempting to rebuild engine on a replacement Ford block. Assured that this is a new Ford engine. Engine in transit.....

- Richard A., Torrance, US

Jun 202019

Escape SE 1,5

Purchased new 2018 Ford Escape SE July 2018. Put 21,000 miles on it and then the Check Engine Light came on. Took to Fair Oaks Ford in Naperville for oil change and Check Engine Light and they told me that it must have been dirt in the fuel injector. In a month the Check Engine Light came back on and I took it in. Service told me I needed a new engine. Since I had 23,000 mile on the car and only 14,000 left on Warranty, I asked if they were going to extend my Warranty. Fair Oaks Ford told me to contact Corporate Ford Customer Service because some customers had received extended warranty.

I called Ford Customer Service which was an Indian Call Center and basically they told me that Ford had no program in place to extend the warranty (Go pound sand). I am waiting for my engine to be replaced and will challenge the dealer to warrant the replacement engine, but don't have faith this will happen. If this does not work I will write a letter to the Ford CEO.

What makes me real mad is that in June when I first took the Car in they must have know that the engine needed to replaced. Did anyone out there with a similar problem get Ford to offer a Warranty of the new engine?

- John W., Naperville, US

Apr 122019

Escape SEL 1.5L Ecoboost

Check engine light came on a little more than one year into ownership. I pulled the code as a misfire on #2. As I've owned many Fords over the years, I know this to be a simple coil replacement so I made a waiting appointment with my dealership. Quite annoying a coil would go bad so early on but it's under warranty.

Much to my surprise, they said I had a coolant leak on #2 spark plug and would have to bring the car back the following week for further analysis of the cause. Well, they ended up pulling the engine and transmission out of the car! They found indentations on the machined surface of the block where the cylinder head mates up and said the block needs to be replaced. Short blocks are not available at all as others have mentioned. They were able to get me a long block and it is due to arrive in a couple days.

I am finding others online with the exact same issue so I am not sure if it's just a bad production run on a limited number of blocks are something much bigger. I would love to know if others have had this issue and completed the engine replacement and how things turned out.

- k2sys, Frenchtown, US

Jan 292019

Escape

The check engine light came on. I noticed that the car had been running slow. Heard misfires. Smelled gas at times. 2018 Ford Escape with only 10K miles on it. Brought it into the dealership who kept and tested overnight. Said it showed a code of P0302. Was called to give me news that my car would have to stay there for a possible 2 weeks!!

They weren't sure if they had the parts to fix as it was a major issue and said I needed a new engine most likely due to a coolant leak into the #2 cylinder. It could caused major damage beyond economical repair per their checklist. The dealership would try to get a shot block engine but said they sometimes can't and they aren't available in the system due to the high demand for this engine.

I am now researching the internet and am seeing this is an issue with this year and model. Why aren't the dealership's keeping the parts in stock if this is going to be something that is going to happen? OR a recall? This is my first new car in years, only to have it sitting in the dealership to be torn apart at 10K miles after having it for only a year!!

Still making car payments thought. Will it ever be the same??? I too have lost all confidence in Ford now and in purchasing a new car if this is what I'm going to go through.

- sevstrub7, Chandler, US