- September 16: Ford Explorer Wheel Hub Bearing Assemblies Recalled recalls | 9 days ago
- September 15: Ford Explorer Carbon Monoxide Investigation Upgraded investigations | 10 days ago
- September 12: Ford PowerShift Dual-Clutch Transmission Settlement Questioned news | 13 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls F-150 and Mustang Over Deadly Airbags recalls | 25 days ago
- August 31: Ford Recalls Explorer, Taurus and Police Interceptors recalls | 25 days ago
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2002 Ford Explorer is hands-down our worst vehicle on record. "Avoid like the plague" is putting it lightly.
The 2002-2005 Explorer has a very well-established record of expensive transmission failure at under 100k miles. The Explorer has an enclosed transmission which is typically replaced with a rebuilt transmission at a cost of almost $3,000.
Another common problem for the 2002-2003 Explorer is wheel bearing failure at around 90k miles, with a typical repair bill of $500 to $1000 depending on how many wheel bearings failed.
Adding insult to injury, the 2002-2005 Explorer also has a massive problem with the rear panel cracking. While it's a minor annoyance compared to transmission failure, ironically the crack usually goes right through the Ford logo.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 78,712 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 6 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace freeze plug (2 reports)
- not sure (1 reports)
- replace intake manifold (1 reports)
- replace radiator (1 reports)
- replace tubing (1 reports)
cooling system problem