2013 Ford Explorer exhaust system problems: exhaust odor in cabin

Exhaust Odor In Cabin

2013 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

8.3

2. repair hvac system (2 reports)
  3. repair exhaust leak (1 reports)
  4. replaced the explorer with a f-150 (1 reports)
  5. reprogram hvac, new exhaust system (1 reports)
2013 Ford Explorer exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Ford Explorer:

2013 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 012016

Explorer Limited I4 Turbo

Where to start? We have had significant problems to minor problems since purchasing our 2013 Ford Explorer Limited preowned in 2016. I needed an SUV with a third row seat for my growing family and the Explorer got great reviews. We have had the folding seats break twice. We had interior pieces fall off. We had water in the spare tire well that required re-welding the frame to fix. We had the A-arm windshield trim blow off while doing 45 mph. We had a check engine light come on from the drive from Florida to Kentucky and it was a bad turbo. Nice! But the scariest is that my wife would complain about random bad headaches after spending all day in the truck (groceries, her business, errands, and taking our daughters to school, after school activities, dog for a haircut, ect). I believe that we are one of the unlucky ones that needs the exhaust system recall. We have been without the Explorer for two months after the dealership gave us a Hyundai rental SUV (while they are fixing the turbo) and she hasn't had a headache since...

- , Tampa, US

Sep 252017

Explorer LTS V6

Over 2700 complaints and 41 injuries to date with exhaust issue that is releasing large amount of carbon monoxide into the cars through the vents was found to be the problem for my 2013 Ford Explorer this past Monday at World Ford in Pensacola FL. I was told by the service dept that this was the same issue that all of these other Explorers have had and that the expensive repairs don't work anyway. Ford has bought back 3 just from this dealer alone and several cars have elected to have the repairs done but according to all of the many websites with complaints on this issue- the repairs either don't help or make it worse. I found out today after being on the phone with more people that I can count from the 800 # at Ford and the service dept at World Ford, that this dealership "isn't willing to participate in any repairs" and was then told to handle it with Ford consumer affairs...who keeps pushing me back on the service dept.

I don't know what's more unnerving about this...that Ford knows just how big of an issue this is and they haven't done a formal recall yet or that it's documented that I am a single mom, with one of my children having asthma and I've had horrible headaches and stomach aches for the last year- never knowing why we've been so sick until a few days ago but no one wants to do anything about it! So, I'll file a complaint with the BBB and will blast a review on every social media site that's connected to Ford until someone steps forward and either tries to see if a repair will work or will buy it back from me, allowing me to trade it in for something SAFE!

How many people need to be sick or die from carbon monoxide poisoning or continue to have wrecks from passing out from the carbon monoxide poisoning before Ford actually does a FULL recall and fixes our cars that we all paid a decent amount of money for??

- , Gul, US

Oct 012016

Explorer XLT 3.5L

Have this terrible exhaust rotten egg smell when I accelerate, called the Ford dealer, they acknowledged there is a problem, told me about a TSB, but they told me I am not covered for repairs due to mileage being over warranty coverage, I can't afford $2,000 out of my pocket they told me it would cost. I don't understand why Ford will not recall and repair this problem, I'm sure there are thousands of people with this problem. I'm sick of being pushed around by this large corporation and getting away without fixing my vehicle. So sad, and can't afford another vehicle on social security. Time for our government to step in and protect us consumers!

- , Phoenix, US

Apr 032017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

As with many others, I have the exhaust smell in the cabin. I had step one & two of the TSB performed, and in my opinion, it made the problem worse.

It's going in for step three on Monday.

- , Mount Pleasant, SC, US

Sep 152013

Explorer Limited 3.5L, V6

Seems to be worse at times when either the AC or heater are being used. I keep thinking it is outside air coming in but I have the button pushed for inside air only. Gives me a headache on long trips.

- , Midland, US

Sep 302012

Explorer Limited 3.5L V6

Ford dealer performed TSB 12-12-04 but did not eliminate the problem.

Smell/Odor is ever present during steady high RPM at 3,000 and above while using AC under recirc.

- , Makati, Philippines

Nov 092016

Explorer Wagon GY

I have been feeling dizzy and short of breath on my way to work often and felt fine once I got to work. Usually on trips longer than ten minutes and usually when the windows were closed and air was on. This has been happening for a VERY long time. I thought it was anxiety until I heard read about possible card monoxide poisoning in Ford Explorers 2011-2017. It makes sense now. Why I only feel like crap in my car!!!!!! Karma FORD! I'lL never buy from you again and tell everyone I know about this. This is horrible and a terrible cover up!

- , Bridgewater, US

Jul 032017

Explorer Limited 3.5L

I started smelling exhaust fumes in the cabin when I accelerated. I thought it was something that will go away but its getting worse. Why is there no recall on this issue?

- , Choctaw, US

Feb 012015

Explorer XLT 3.5L

I thought it was just me. The check engine light started coming on and off. I had it checked and it said vapor lock or something. Then the smell started and at first I thought it was the traffic I was in then when I realized it was happening when I was going down the road I knew something was up.

- , Fort Worth, US

Jan 202017

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

I have yet to take it back to the dealer to have them check it out. The first time we took it they said it was the cabin filter but I don't think so.

- , Tolleson, US

Jul 252017

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

An exhaust odor is present in the cabin shortly after hard acceleration. This problem has been occurring since I purchased the vehicle new in 2013. It was also present in another Explorer I test-drove prior to ordering mine.

- , Auburn, US

Mar 012016

Explorer XLT 3.5lV6

Exhaust smell in cabin when getting up to speed. Not floor boarding gas pedal neither. normal acceleration. Ford will not fix problem. will check myself, think there is leaks at the exhaust manifolds or drop down pipes . all mufflers 3 of them have drain holes in them. all holes are facing toward front. does not seem right to me!!! I WILL FIND WHAT IT IS. LET YOU KNOW.

- , Demotte, IN, USA

Feb 022017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

While driving home on the expressway. The cabin of this Explorer filled with exhaust fumes. Dropped the car off at nearest dealership (GM dealership does most of our car work ). Car is supposed to have an extended warranty. Was told there is a bulletin of this for Ford Explorer. Told to bring it to the dealership. The repair should be covered by Ford. We purchased an extended warranty from Ford dealership at time of purchase. Ford dealership claimed no knowledge of this problem. Claimed it is not covered by extended warranty. This issue came up as soon as I Googled it. So, no effort by dealership to research an issue with a Ford vehicle. This issue is under investigation by the NTSB, so they did not even look or attempt to satisfy their customer. So, they have ripped us off for $ 1500.00 for an extended warranty that was a platinum level plan. It was suppose to extend the basic warranty to 75,000 miles. They wanted $ 868.00 to repair the car. We paid $ 130.00 for diagnosis fees and pick up the car. At this time we are contacting the extended warranty company to see if they denied the claim. The dealership probably did not attempt to make a claim nor did it review Ford's bulletin. If so they would have known this is an ongoing issue with Ford and a class action law suit is pending. The Ford dealership can either repair the car for the $ 100.00 deductible ( which has been paid ) or refund the $ 1500.0 they ripped us off when the car was purchased. If not I will contact an attorney.

- , Gretna, LA, USA

Jan 012016

Explorer LX

Exhaust fumes come into the car when any type of acceleration is required; i.e., passing a vehicle, entering the Interstate, etc. Has been happening since first purchasing the car. Husband did not think anything of it as he was not the primary driver of the vehicle. Finally took it in after a couple of years of driving it as it was getting increasingly worse and also got husband to experience the problem. Ford dealership came back with ~$1100.00 bill to have it fixed. Said it was a problem with the HVAC system. Was not covered under warranty even though we had an extended warranty, etc. Did not get it fixed - primarily due to the fact that dealership told me it was not dangerous (i.e, my car was not going to burst into flames), and I subsequently did some research online finding out that this was a common problem with this vehicle.

The problem continues and not just when I accelerate. There is a regular exhaust odor that comes into the car so much so that I experience throat irritation and coughing when I am driving the vehicle lately.

- , Tampa, FL, USA

May 182015

Explorer Limited 3.5L V6

It's been stinking out the air conditioning vents for the longest time, but I thought maybe it was oil or something on the engine getting hot whenever I passed cars on two lane roads and had to really put the pedal on the floor. Now it does the (exhaust smell) more frequently, 1 because I'm waiting for it and 2 because we now live it a different hilly terrain. I'm taking it to a Ford Service Inspection on 11/21/2016

- , Farmington, MO, USA

Jun 152014

Explorer Limited 3.2L V6

When you go pass another vehicle the exhaust smell is terrible in the cabin.

- , Frostproof, FL, USA

Apr 042016

Explorer Sport 3.5L V6 Ecoboost

Starting around April 2016, it became very noticeable that exhaust odors were filling the inside the vehicle when RPMs went over 4,000 (really bad at interstate on ramps). This is just after 3 years of owning the vehicle. After reading online there were a few TSBs to resolve the issue, I had the Explorer "fixed" in August. While the TSBs did help to minimize the issue, it has not fully gone away. I just don't want to afford Ford to explore the car for more design issues on my dime. I am already out $810.78 for fixing this even though I have the Ford extended bumper to bumper warranty. While I am disappointed in Ford, not having this fixed under the extended (and expensive to buy) warranty is a killer. I was looking into buying the 2017 Ford Explorer Platinum for my wife and am now looking to other vehicles because of how Ford is handling this issue. I believe my asthma has gotten steadily worse since owning this vehicle. It is really a shame because it is a great vehicle otherwise.

- , Greenfield, WI, USA

Oct 172013

Explorer XLT 3.7L

Under acceleration fumes come back into the cabin. Smell is very bad

- , Fulshear, TX, USA

Jul 012013

Explorer V6

we have taken our vehicle in over 6 or 7 times, each time telling us that it was fixed. The last time that we took it in they offered to do a lemon law buy back which was ridiculous and us coming out on the losing end. To this day we still have the awful smell when we accelerate.

- , Tomball, TX, USA

Sep 022015

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

I bought my 2013 Ford Explorer back in March 2015. Really liked the crossover. I bought there extended Ford Premium Warranty. I notice a bad exhaust odor in the cabin using the AC and the heater at times and had a engine light on the dash that would come and go. Took it to the Ford dealer and they fixed a purge valve sensor to get rid of the engine light. To my surprise they said the exhaust odor in the cabin has a TSB and they would have to charge me $700.00 to fix it. WHAT? But I have the Premium Warranty! They said Ford won't cover it. The people there were nice and seemed professional. The guy said he felt bad and give me a break 20% break off my $100 deductible for fixing the purge valve sensor. I declined to have the exhaust problem fixed at my expense, after paying for a expensive Premium Warranty.

For those who are on the fence on purchasing Ford products I would skip the warranty and save that money back. They seem to just pick and choose what they want to cover. Being a Industrial Service Technician for the last eighteen years I should have seen this coming. Sadly it's not just Ford. The auto industry is a dirty business. The smell gets so bad the fumes will make you sick. For now I never drive it without a window cracked. Hopefully if enough people register and complain they will recall this problem. Lots of people are having this issue. Also don't forget to join the class action lawsuit against Ford on this site. Together we can get it Ford to recall this issue.

I have also come to known where the vehicle was repaired under the TSB and they still have the same issue. Will keep you posted with any new information.

- , Connersville, IN, USA