2014 Ford Explorer exhaust system problems: exhaust fumes in cab

Exhaust Fumes In Cab

2014 Ford Explorer (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Ford dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

7.5

2. no solution noted by dealership (7 reports)
2014 Ford Explorer exhaust system problems

exhaust system problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Ford Explorer:

2014 Ford Explorer Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 302014

Explorer XLT V6

multiple problems with exhaust fumes in car, been in shop multiple times.

- , Winston, US

Oct 012015

Explorer Limited V6

This foul smell in the cabin started in 2015 although I suspect it was present in earlier with elevated CO2 levels. The smell was most obvious when stopping after freeway driving--at an off ramp, or in traffic and when the car was working hard--up hill and at speed. The dealer installed some sort of kit in 2015 and the smell abated but it has come back as strong as ever. The smell is of rotten eggs mixed with exhaust, and causes watery/stinging eyes.

- , Denver, US

Aug 212017

Explorer XLT V6

the smell is so bad, I am going to put a carbon detector in my vehicle! It smells like a rotten egg!! someone is going to die from this smell!! I Have had someone from the ford dealership tell me one of there customers have already done this and the detector has gone off!! it is about time a recall is done on these vehicles before someone does die!!!

- , Gouverneur, US

Apr 032017

Explorer LX V6

I'm filing this complaint because after several attempts by dealer to fix fumes coming into car, we are still getting them. My wife and myself commute approx an hour and a half twice a day to work. During drive we experience fumes coming into cab of vehicle thru AC ducts. My Wife is an asthmatic and has to take daily meds to control it. The fumes have aggravated her condition to point she has had to see Dr for lung infections. I filed a complaint with BBB but it was considered ineligible due to mileage of odometer. I appreciate anything you can do to help put word out on this defective vehicle.

- , San Antonio, US

Mar 182014

Explorer Sport 3.5L Turbo

The cabin fills with exhust when under moderate to full throttle. I notice it most with the rear ac on. It happened since it was brand new. I thought it was something new burning off or breaking in as it smelled like someone mixing two part epoxy. My 6 month old daughter would throw up after several hours in the explorer. we thought it was just part of being a baby. After owning the explorer for a while, the smell did not go away so we asked the dealer about it. They test drove it and said they duplicated it instantly and they told me that it was exhaust entering the cabin. They performed a TSB but it did absolutely nothing to fix it. We have to roll the windows down a lot which isn't ideal in Phoenix when its 122 degrees outside. I now wonder if my daughters illness was related to the Carbon Monoxide. What long term effects are we going to have from this? I now have to take an $19,000 loss on this vehicle because I cannot subject my family to this health hazard. Ford needs to buy this back. We've had 6 issues with this vehicle before 51,000 miles. I really love it but it is a Lemon and I cannot subject my family to this.

- , Surprise, US

Jul 272017

Explorer Sport 3.2L V6

was driving home from work- air conditioner on windows up and I remember going around a curve and remember nothing until I hit the gravels that line the edge of the road several feet from where I remember entering the curve. it wasn't like I dosed and woke up this was like I remember nothing until something jarred my car to wake me. I almost went into someone's yard. I believe I passed out. I have been smelling fumes inside the cabin of the car while going up hills or on the interstate. the past couple weeks I have felt very nauseous and dizzy and not quit myself. I feel like I am in a brain fog most of the time and after my ride home from work I have no energy to do anything. I believe I am being poisoned by carbon monoxide from my car. I drove to work and home for the past two days with no air and the windows open and today I finally feel better- more like myself. I do not think this has been going on the entire time I have had my vehicle I do believe it has been going on for a couple months but I never put thought it would be carbon monoxide. Then I saw news reports and put two and two together. I have no medical conditions- very active- run 10-15 miles a week and if I ride in my car with the air on and windows up I don't have the energy to do anything besides lay on the couch for two days. I'm frustrated- I called the dealership at my house yesterday to complain about this issue and they basically told me that there was no way I was having this issue because Ford hadn't seen any evidence of it happening in any vehicle besides police SUV's. I know its happening- I shouldn't feel like this after riding in my car. I can drive our 2017 F-350 diesel we just purchased and I have no issues- feel great.

- , Jonesborough, US

Oct 012014

Explorer 3.2L

Basically, I've mention exhaust problem to the dealership several times. I did have a ride along from a mechanic but the problem did not arise. The problem only occurs when on the highway when at speed when passing another vehicle with the air condition is on. I roll down the window to get rid of the fumes. This issue has occurred several times over the years. There is no need to keep making complaints when ford will not recall or fix the exhaust leaks going into the cabin.

- , Springfield, VA, US

Aug 062017

Explorer

Under full acceleration, wide open throttle, the smell of exhaust will come into the vehicle. Does not matter if windows are open, seems to be less smell, or if closed windows, comes in during and after acceleration. Seems to dissipate over the new 4 to 5 minutes, maybe you lose your sensitivity to it... Run AC frequently during summer and even on re-circulation the smell is in the vehicle. Have not had to run heater so do not have any input on that. If I just run on vent of outside air still notice the smell. To date, have not had any symptoms that I could note, just not sure how much it may affect me as I will often open windows for a minute and then clears the interior.

- , Hot Springs Village, US

Sep 012016

Explorer Sport V6 Ecoboost

Initially noted the exhaust smell in the cab on acceleration. Changed air mixer to recirculation as suggested, but to no avail. Now a more significant concern due to a newborn being transported in the vehicle.

- , Kailua-Kona, HI, USA

Jun 142017

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

Exhaust odors in vehicle compartments. When parked for long time and start it, a terrible smell. I have to open the windows to get rid of it.

- , Louisville, KY, US

Feb 132015

Explorer V6

My husband bought me my Explorer as a Valentine's gift in 2015. Not long after we had the vehicle, I noticed a really bad smell. I would cough the whole time in the vehicle. Not just a regular cough, I was coughing up phlegm and had to take breathing treatment as soon as I got out of the vehicle. When I drove a distance I would start falling asleep. I would have to roll the windows down and fight to stay awake. My 14 year old daughter would always complain of a headache and every time my grand babies would ride with me they would fall asleep within 10 minutes of being in the car. I have 4 kids and 3 grandchildren that was always riding with me.

We didn't have the money to have it fixed. After all the stories started coming out on the news I did research to see if our symptoms could be from the problem with the car, and of course it did, went to trade it in after driving it for 2 years, learning of the problems that it had I didn't want to continue putting me and my family at risk, no one wanted to give us anything for the vehicle we still owed over 20 thousand we finally found someone that would take it as a trade in but we were so upside down that our payments are way more.

I'm really upset that we should have to pay the consequences due to a malfunction of the vehicle! What does Ford plan on doing about this? If it would have not been for that problem I would still be driving my Explorer, I loved it but it was a danger.

- , Carthage, TX, US

May 012017

Explorer

The smell of fumes filters throughout the cab. I have a family of five and we use this truck to go on trips. It has made us sick at times. We never knew why we would feel sick after being in the truck for periods of time but now it is clear.

Update from Jul 31, 2017: WOW!!! Took it to Ford and they said it is a known issue and are going to charge me just to look at it! They know it is a problem and will not touch it unless I pay for their design problem or there is a recall! This is horseshit! I will NEVER buy another Ford! Way to take ownership of a problem that is known to cause sickness, crashes and possible death if the driver passes out while driving Ford!

- , West Melbourne, US

Aug 302014

Explorer XLT 3.5L

During high acceleration, with or without AC on, there is be a strong order of exhaust in the cab. If the acceleration is continuous for some time, I roll down the windows...to be safe.

- , Redmond, WA, US

Jun 232017

Explorer LX V6

Had terrible smell in explorer when driving to vacation destination. Had to open windows to help rid interior of smell. Have noticed smell several times since

- , Manville, US

May 012015

Explorer XLT 3.2L V6

I've had my explorer for 3 1/2yrs. I like the vehicle a lot but have been concerned over the exhaust smell for the past couple of yr. It's noticeable during high speed acceleration, At first I thought it was the outside air, but ensuring the vent was closed has not made a difference. Since purchasing the SUV in Jan 2014, I was diagnosed with throat cancer. Successful treatment yielded some changes in my sense of taste and smell. I thought treatment might have added to my sensitivities. Now I wonder if exposure might have been the cause of my original health problem or enhanced the progression of the disease. I'm concerned that Ford hasn't issued a recall, but will be pushing them for a remedy.

- , Ocala, US

Feb 032014

Explorer Limited 3.5L

My wife and son have had frequent headaches after driving in our vehicle for long periods of time. We initially thought they were getting motion sickness but after finding out that there are significant issues with Explorers and exhaust fumes the problem is likely a result of exhaust fumes in the vehicle. We have continuously had a rotten egg smell coming from the vent which I assumed the a/c filters needed changed. Changed all the filters in the vehicle and sprayed the vent system with an odor treatment but the smell didn't go away. Scheduling an appointment with the dealer and am going to conduct carbon monoxide tests.

- , Guyton, US

Mar 142015

Explorer XLT 3.5L V6

We don’t drive this car too much (you can see it has low mileage for a 3 year old car). We didn’t notice it when windows were down, but then noticed the exhaust smell when the AC was on. At first didn’t think much about it, then seemed to get worse as the time when on. It was noticed more when you accelerate hard or when you kick it down to pass.

I plan to make a complaint to the NHTSA, Ford customer service and the dealership.

My point was to get it on record! Hopefully the more people that complain the more impact it will have.

- , Asheville, NC, US

Jun 072017

Explorer XLT 3.5L

I have a family of 2 young children and the smell coming into my car is a real problem. It was making us nauseous. The dealership is making a fix but does not guarantee that this will fix it. They mentioned other owners saying it is not entirely fixed, that they can still smell it, but its not much to complain. I do not like that I have to breathe this in let alone have my children suffer. This is not safe at all. The problem was soo bad that when I pulled into my house, the smell infiltrated throughout my house . My husband followed me to the dealership and he said he could smell my car from a mile behind me. This is a serious problem. Also not okay that we have to pay out of pocket for this issue. We have a warranty, and this is something that should be part of it. It's not like its a battery or something. The exhaust is connected to the engine which in turn should be part of a warranty coverage. I hope this can be taken care of and we can get reimbursed.

- , Magnolia, DE, US

Oct 152015

Explorer Sport Ecoboost V6

This was the second time we brought this car in for the fumes in the cabin of the car. They had it for about a week this time working on ford's new fix, and when we picked it up and drove away it seemed to be fine but a couple of weeks later and the smell is back. I don't think ford really had any idea of how to fix this problem. The vehicle really should be condemned, you pay 50,000 for a car and exhaust gas is coming in the cabin of the car. WTF.

- , Collins, US

Sep 072015

Explorer Sport Ecoboost V6

At around 10,000 miles we started smelling a bad odor inside the cabin of the vehicle. It kind of smells like burnt hair. We took it to the dealership we bought it from and brought it in to have it checked. The service manager said they could not find anything or get it to smell, so we picked it up. From there we drove about 5 miles and the smell came back so we made a u turn and asked the service manager to go for a ride. After about 2 minutes the smell was very strong and he was not sure what it was. They had it for a week or so and said they fixed the problem the way that the ford bulletin said to. It worked for a couple of weeks but the smell came back.

- , Collins, US