7.3

$1,840

2. replace electric power steering rack and pinion (3 reports)
2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments

Aug 182017

Fusion 2.5L

power steering went off and have to get the car towed

- Catherine W., Bothell, WA, US

Jul 022016

Fusion SE 2.5L

Change the tires to spare tire donut because my original tires needs change. After going for few miles with the donut: tpms notification, service power steering now and service advance trac are showing up on my dashboard and makes the power steering not functioning completely, at the highway at that time and I run over a big pothole due to steering is harder to turn that results in damage to passenger front control arms and costs me $1000 to fix just the control arm. Went to Pacifico Ford dealer in philadelphia and service advisor on duty at 16Jul2016 says I need to pay $90 for diagnostic related to power steering. I hope there is a recall for this because if it does I will make sure the dealer pay for the injury I had because of this!

- A B., Philadelphia, PA, US

Jan 102017

Fusion SE V4

Driving back home and got an alert stating "Low Tire Pressure" ignored it less than a min since I was almost home. then all of a sudden as I am driving my power steering wheel became extremely hard. I had to pull over as I cannot turn. I had to get it towed to my house. As the car arrived we immediately put air in the tire and removed battery to reset the message. Nothing happened cannot moved the car need towed to the dealership.

- nessa1213, El Mirage, US

Oct 212015

Fusion SEL 2.5L 4 cyl

My wife woke up to a flat tire, we filled the tire and the power steering was not working. I sent it to a very trustworthy shop and they said it was the steering rack and pinion. I was told this is a very common problem with this year, make, and model and there is a lawsuit pending with Ford over it.

The cost for a brand new one from Ford was $1800 just for the part! Labor is in the area of $500. Also it is such a common problem that there is a 3 month back order on the part. I decided it would be quicker and cheaper to get one out of a salvaged Fusion and put it in ours. This is what I did and the part was about $750 and labor was $500.

I don't know if I should keep the car and hope it wont happen again or just get rid of it.

- Justin J., Smithville, MO, USA

Oct 112014

Fusion 3.0L

As far as I'm concerned this is a big safety hazard. THANK GOODNESS I was on a rural road when this happened or the outcome may have been disastrous. This should be a recall for all Ford cars having this steering mechanism.

If this is not part of the warranty for power train than it should be.

It always has to be fixed by Ford dealers because it's such a complicated mechanism that nobody will touch it. And we all know what Ford prices are like!!! over the roof. It cost me 2500 dollars but you know Ford just lost a long standing customer because of it . I will never buy another Ford.

- Cheryl M., Gardiner Mines, Nova Scotia, canada

Feb 012014

Fusion 3.0L

My daughter had a flat on Sat. morning. I pulled the tire off the car and had it fixed. Replaced it back on the car and I thought I was done . My daughter went to back out of the driveway and there was no steering. I checked all the fuses and relays but they were all good. I started searching on the web and found all the problems with the steering after a flat tire. And of course the car is out of warranty. If this had happened when my daughter had been on the freeway she probably would have had a wreck.

I think this is a safety issue and that Ford needs to have a recall on this issue.

- kstansel, Channelview, TX, USA