8.7

$1,610

2. completely replace power steering (21 reports)
  3. replace steering gear (10 reports)
  4. replace steering gear ($1,625.53) (7 reports)
  5. replace steering rack (6 reports)
  6. replace steering column (2 reports)
2010 Ford Fusion steering problems

2010 Ford Fusion Owner Comments (Page 1 of 5)

Jun 242019

Fusion 2.5L

I have now joined the large group of people owning 2010 Ford Fusion that have experienced power steering assist fault. I can't believe how many people have had the same problem! Why doesn't Ford accept the fact that it isn't only 2011-2013 that has the problem. There really should be a recall on the part. Been waiting two days to hear about my 2000 dollars fix and I am pissed off. I can't believe somebody hasn't been killed yet because of this flaw. Sunday my warning came on twice and was able to restart the car and it went away. Monday it came on and there was no getting rid of it. Had to call in sick to work and now have my car in the shop. Please help get a recall on this Power Steering Assist Fault.

- Dean V., San Diego, CA, US

Jun 132019

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

No power steering upon starting vehicle in driveway, power steering assist fault code appeared in dash, no power steering, Although Ford is aware of this problem has not issued a recall on the 2010 Ford Fusions but have issued recalls on the 2011. Other 2010 Ford vehicles have been recalled for the same issue. Not sure how much this will cost but very frustrating to see several complaints for this and Ford does not want to correct it.

- dbjohnson61, Hurlock, US

May 072019

Fusion

Power steering went out in my Ford Fusion today. Took it to the shop and they said they can fix for $2400. They said they have to replace the rack and pinion. Barely made it to the shop, the car was so hard to steer. Definitely should recall. I give up

- Loreen S., Papillion, US

Feb 042019

Fusion SEL 2.5L 4-cyl

Definitely a serious safety issue worth of a recall.

- Stuart T., Austin, US

Jan 292019

Fusion SE 2.5L

Power Steering failed again while driving, getting pissed off. Says it has a power steering fault!!!! Ford needs to Recall all 2010 Ford Fusions with the electronic power steering and fix the issues!!!! It will be the last time I buy a Ford if they don't take a stand and fix their mistakes! This is getting old, Ford recalled other models and years for this same problem, why not recall the 2010 Ford Fusions too!

- Nicholas Q., Big Lake, MN, US

Nov 192018

Fusion V6

my 2010 Ford fushion has lost all power steering I have power steering assist fault light on and check amtrack light and auto assist fault tire light also guess I'm finding out there were recalls for this problem on other years of cushions just not the 2010 what's it gonna take a death of someone before something is done about this it's very dangerous to drive like this it's a major pain in my dad to drive it with no power steering because I can't afford to fix it

- Sandra G., Wichita, KS, US

Nov 182018

Fusion SE 2.5L

Ford cars the past several years are extremely problematic and very dangerous. I have had three very close calls with the throttle body problem and now with the power steering assist fault on my 2010 Ford Fusion.

Would be more tolerable if Ford would stand behind their product and do what is right before someone else is injured or killed but it seems that is what it takes before they correct the issue(s). This will be the final Ford vehicle I purchase, too many issues with the past 5 Ford vehicles I have owned which included the 2006 Explorer.

If anyone could help with information about their experience with the 2010 Ford Fusion power steering assist fault it would be welcomed. To date (27 Jan 2019) the car sits in my garage while I hope for a recall so I can get the vehicle repaired. But even with a repair, I feel unsafe driving the vehicle.

Update from Apr 15, 2019: Received a recall notice for the passenger airbag so I scheduled the repair and had the codes read for the power steering failure. They told me the rack and pinion needed to be replaced, reprogramming, and alignment. The quote for this repair is over 2k and to read the codes, I was charged over $112.

I am currently awaiting the local Ford service department to email a detailed quote for the repair as they did not provide one when I picked up the vehicle. I will post more information as it develops.

- Christina L., Hayward, WI, US

Jan 292019

Fusion SEL 3.0L V6

My fiancé was coming home from picking up her son from work and she said the steering wheel started to jerk. shortly after this happened, the power steering stopped working entirely. she told me that the instrument panel displayed a notice that said SERVICE POWER STEERING NOW. she also said that the TCS light came on when the power steering stopped working. The road to our house is about 7mi from where this happened and the last 3 are uphill, downhill, and windy. I did some research and found that the 2011 model year had a recall for this same issue, but NOT for the 2010 model year. There is also, currently, an active investigation with the NTSB as well.

- W.L. G., Gilsum, NH, US

Dec 112018

Fusion SEL 3.2L

The past week I have been hearing grinding noises from the steering column. Now it is hard to steer at times, comes and goes. I have car parked as of now until I bring it in to my guy on Monday. Too worried about driving it til I know what is wrong.

- Jackie K., Elk River, MN, US

Dec 232018

Fusion ES

Started with a message about power steering maintenance and Advance trac. Then the same day my power steering went out. Took to shop and they reset the codes and charged me $234.00. Power steering worked for about 2 weeks. Then parked the car and when I turned the car on the same messages and no more power steering.

I can not keep paying to get the codes reset. Reading these complaints not sure that will keep on working. Also see where there is a recall for 2011 and up but not for my 2010. I will not pay thousands to fix a problem that they know is their problem.

I have been on a waiting list for over a year on the passenger air bag recall. If does not get resolved, I will not buy another Ford vehicle. We currently own 3 Fords in our family.

- Irma M., Wichita, US

Jan 052019

Fusion SE V4

This power steering assist failure is very dangerous. I can't believe the NTSB did not include 2010 Fusion in the recall. Fortunately mine failed when I was in the driveway or I would have had an accident. As it is, I am not happy about the $2,000 repair bill. The steering should not fail at 86,000 miles.

- Laura N., Muskego, WI, US

Dec 142018

Fusion SE

After 3 years of a power steering assist fail and service advance trac warning message as well as a few trips to the Ford dealer over those 3 years, the car held the code long enough for Ford to read it. The diagnosis is 4 bad control arms which caused the power steering rack to fail. The cost to repair is $2875.00 which I can't afford. So now I have a useless heap of junk that can't be fixed or sold. Why wasn't the 2010 fFusion included in the recall when the 2011-2012 years were?

- Ellen S., Hamersville, OH, US

Nov 062018

Fusion 3.0L V6

My Steering Assist had a fault just after I bought it. The book said to turn the engine off and restart after a minute and that worked the 1st time. Now however, I have no power steering, and the car is dangerous to drive. My rant is that the 2011 was recalled and not the 2010, even though this is a significant FAULT! Now, even though I am broke, I will have to borrow almost $2k to fix this. It is so wrong!

- criss63, Moab, US

Nov 022018

Fusion LX 2.5L

Power steering went out. Almost hit a car head-on in a curve. Real scary stuff.

- Phillip K., phil campbell , AL, US

Jun 132018

Fusion SEL 2.5L 4v

Ford knows my 2010 Fusion SEL is among hundreds of thousands of pre-2011 models that have this potentially deadly electronic power steering defect. How Ford was able to limit this type of recall to model years 2011 and newer is a mystery. My wife and I hope NHTSA National Highway Traffic Safety Administration or other powers that be are able to force Ford to finally acknowledge and recall earlier models that also have defective EPAS systems. In the meantime, we refuse to pay the Ford dealer $2,586 for the replacement EPAS. While we wait, we will no longer drive this car.

- Dean H., Lake Forest, US

Aug 202018

Fusion SE 3.2L

I was parking my car. When I was backing in to park, the steering wheel would not turn. It was stuck. I looked at the dash and it said (power steering assault failed) I did not know what to do. I turned it off and came into my office. I Googled what power steering assault is.. It has to do with the power steering failing.

I called Ford and asked if there was a recall on power steering they said no. I told them what happened and they said I need to get checked if I could not move the wheel. They said they would charge me to evaluate it. I went back to my car to check the power steering fluid to make sure it was full. I then turned car on and I could move the steering wheel.. Thank god I was not driving it when it loss power. I did drive the car to the dealer. I asked them if this was common and they said no. I told them I have a 1999 Honda and nothing like this has happen, we change oil and tires.

I then asked about my air bags that was defective and I had called in June to see if they where giving rental cars due to the cars where unsafe. The person on the phone said no. I told him my uncle worked for Salinas Ford and they where giving there customers rental cars til parts where fixed. Then she said, oh, we can give you a rental car for that. So she requested that for me.

The next day they called and advise me they tested the car and the power steering was failing and I would have to pay $2300.00 to fix it. I have no way to pay this as I am still paying on the car. I cannot believe with all the reports and them knowing it is failing and is not common that they are not trying to fix the problem and just leaving the customer to pay to fix something that is defective.

I am really truly disappointed in Ford, I never liked them, then I took a chance and my car is falling a part, its only 9 years old. I guess foreign cars are made better.

- Nicol J., Paso Robles, CA, US

Apr 242018

Fusion SEL 4 Cly

Power steering assist stopped working made for hard steering with message on dash saying Steering Assist Fault. I was able to get steering to work by turning vehicle off and restarting. Ford dealer diagnosed as steering rack failure. Cost of repair will be 1650.00 to 1700.00. I have no choice but to have it repaired and hope that the 2010 Fusions are included in the recall.

- Ron Z., Soquel, CA, US

Jul 122018

Fusion ES 2.4L

I have been having issue with the power steering system , i check power steering pump, nothing wrong with it, check the power steering fluid and its at max level, but while driving I get the power steering system faulty and vehicle completely locks making it difficult to maneuver, I almost got into an accident.

I live in Chicago and the first time this happen was during winter so I thought it was that the fluid was frozen since it continue to work properly after the car warm up. but this time happen in the middle of summer while I was turning left at intersection almost causing me to have an accident. I'm glad i didn't have my kids with me.

So at this point I left my vehicle at my garage until I'm able to schedule an service appointment at the dealer. So let see how much this is going to cost me.

- Luis N., Chicago, IL, US

Apr 062018

Fusion SEL

click to see larger images

power steering not working properly power steering not working properly

Have called several Ford Dealerships. One is all booked until next week, one told me they have airbag to fix the other recalls on it, another said it would be $150 to diagnose and another service manager in another dealership told me he would charge me $98. I didn't know I had to still try and bargain around when dealing with this and two recalls already accepted. smh

- Erika S., Houston, US

Nov 082017

Fusion S 2.5L

It's really dangerous when you're driving down the interstate and without warning the power steering locks up and there is nothing that you can do about it except spend thousands of dollars that could be used on something much better than a problem that shouldn't have happened without warning especially.

- Ricky R., Clarksville, TX, US