CarComplaints.com Notes: While the 2004 GMC Canyon doesn't show any major complaint trends, it's mechanically-identical counterpart is the Chevy Colorado which has some engine problems.

2004 GMC Canyon body / paint problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 GMC Canyon:

2004 GMC Canyon Owner Comments

Sep 182017

Canyon SL REG CAB 4WD 2.8L 4-cyl

click to see larger images

frame is rusted out frame is rusted out

I am so upset about this issue and evidently this is not a totally uncommon problem.

I bought my Canyon new in 2004 as a third vehicle. My goal was to have a truck when needed and to have 4-wheel drive for snow covered days, which is about 10 or less days a year here in Cincinnati.

With only 53,600 miles on this truck, it's obvious it sits in my driveway most of the time.

I was driving my Canyon on 09-17-17 for the first time in a few weeks to a job and all of the sudden my instrument panel started wiggin out while on the expressway. Fortunately I was close to my office so I went there and borrowed a company vehicle for the rest of my 50 mile trip.

Upon returning to my truck, I noticed the truck bed was directly against the cab (pictured). I looked under the truck and was totally shocked to see how bad the frame was rusted, also pictured.

I drove the truck home (very slowly), called GM and got a case number. I then took my truck to the GMC dealer where I bought it. The manager of the body shop was shocked to see the amount of frame rot.

Funny thing is this truck has never been off road and the only water it's ever seen has been rain or snow.

My truck was paid off in 2009 and only had a little over 40,000 miles on it at that time. I thought I would have a truck, a third vehicle for many years to come. Looking at the truck you can see it's been well taken care of. Unfortunately it's no longer drivable.

The GMC dealer I took it to is going to have their GMC rep look at it.

Has anyone else experienced this issue too?

- , Cincinnati, US

Oct 152016

Canyon SLE 5 cyl

Never in accident, purchased new I feel that it unsafe for highway use.Ihad Toyota with a identical condition and Toyota bought it back!

- , Brookfield, CT, USA