2016 GMC Canyon steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 GMC Canyon:

2016 GMC Canyon Owner Comments (Page 1 of 4)

Apr 222022

Canyon

The contact owns a 2016 GMC Canyon. The contact stated while driving 50 MPH, the vehicle lost power steering functionality. There were no warning lights illuminated. The contact pulled over to the side of the roadway and called a friend for assistance. The contact had experienced the failure on three separate occasions. The vehicle was not taken to be diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 62,000.

- Old Greenwich, CT, USA

May 292022

Canyon

At random times, the power steering will cut off making the vehicle very difficult to steer. This can happen when starting or while driving. It will not come back on until the vehicle is shut off. Sometimes restarting works and sometimes it does not. I have put dielectric grease on the connecters behind the airbag. This seems to help for a while. The condition matches NHTSA Campaign number 21V213000 for power steering issues. However, many 2016 models experience the exact same issue. The dealer will not help. This is my daughters truck and she is not big/strong enough to overcome the loss of power steering.

- Apex, NC, USA

Apr 132022

Canyon

The incident occurred while I was bringing my 18 month old daughter home from daycare. As I was initiating a left hand turn across traffic, the truck suddenly suffered a total loss of power steering. I had already committed to the maneuver when I realized what was happening, but thankfully was able to complete the turn despite struggling to apply enough force to the wheel. I then immediately pulled to the side of the road and parked. I believe multiple warning messages displayed, but I was concentrating on reaching safety and didn't see them all. I did see that one of the messages indicated Stabilitrack had failed. After the vehicle sat for several hours, I returned and started the vehicle, at which point the errors had cleared and power steering had been restored, at least temporarily. I took the truck to a non-dealer repair shop, who did discover a stored error code: C0545 - Steering Wheel Torque Sensor Malfunction. As the sensor is highly integrated into the steering system, the repair required the replacement of the entire rack and pinion component. In order to avoid living with the threat of intermittent power steering failure endangering my family at any moment, I had no choice but to authorize this very expensive repair.

- Millersville, MD, USA

Aug 012021

Canyon

The contact owns a 2016 GMC Canyon. The contact stated that while his son was driving 55 MPH and making a right turn, the steering became difficult to turn. The contact stated he also experience the failure twice. The contact stated the stabilitrak warning light was illuminated. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. A dealer was not contacted. The manufacturer had been informed of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 62,000.

- Brownsville, TX, USA

May 042022

Canyon

The Stabilitrek system will automatically activate while driving resulting in a loss of power steering when there are no hazards or conditions to cause it. When this happens, I cannot turn it off, and have to pull over and turn my car off for 30 seconds to turn it off and gain power steering again.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 082022

Canyon

Driving on a freeway at about 60 mph my power steering stopped working. Luckily I was driving and not my wife. I don't think she could have steered the truck since it took a lot to merge out of the freeway. The message on the dash said (power steering service. Drive careful.) I made it into a parking lot nearby and turned the key off then back on and the power steering worked again and the message was gone.

- Castaic, CA, USA

Jan 122022

Canyon

Ignition key randomly will not release from ignition switch. The key is stuck in the ignition in the accessory position which in turn kills the battery. Unable to remove key! I have read this is a common problem with my vehicle year / model. When placing vehicle in PARK it is not reliably returning the confirmation to the solenoid lock on the ignition switch that the transmission is in PARK. My dealer finally admitted this is a common problem. GM needs to take responsibility and activate a recall.

- Crown Point, IN, USA

Apr 222022

Alarmed Power Steering System Failure lost all steering while driving

- Westminster, MD, USA

Apr 152022

Canyon

In the last 25 days while driving to work the power steering assist has suddenly stopped working and immediately caused the truck to become extremely difficult to handle, this has happened twice. Considering the truck immediately has handling issues I am concerned for my safety and the safety of my passengers.

- Plano, TX, USA

Apr 122022

Canyon

Power steering randomly goes out and causes safety risk to driver, passengers, pedestrians, and other drivers on/near road

- Poway, CA, USA

Mar 292022

Canyon

Power steering light come on and then power steering went out while driving.

- Poway, CA, USA

Mar 262022

Canyon

While driving I experienced sudden loss in powersteering, and it was quite difficult to turn around and drive back home safely.

- Portland, OR, USA

Feb 012022

Canyon

While driving, the power steering and stabillitrac warnings come on, and I lose power steering. When I stop, turn the vehicle off, and restart the vehicle, the power sterring returns. This has happened three times in the past week, ranging in speed from 5 mph to 65 mph.

- Bartlett, TN, USA

Feb 032022

Canyon

While driving my power steering warning light comes on and it is hard to turn the wheel. This has happened three times now on 1-3-22, 1-26-22, and 2-3-22. And I am just driving in town.

- Tyler, MN, USA

Nov 102021

Canyon

Key is not pulling out of ignition after truck has been put in park. Mechanic has replaced the shifter twice, and yet the problem is more pronounced. The Dealership (Anthony GMC) has now stated there is no problem, and yet the key wont come out for them either.

- Gurnee, IL, USA

Oct 072021

Canyon

As I started the vehicle I got a notification that the power steering has Maldonado I got a few warning lights on the dashboard. As I drove the vehicle the power steering did not work and it makes it hard to steer. This has been happening for a week now

- Hawthorne, FL, USA

Oct 102021

Canyon

While driving on a six lane hwy in heavy traffic at 55 mph the power steering module failed making it dangerously hard to steer. Took the truck to the GMC dealership, the technician determined the power steering module had failed and it was replaced. A warning message did display indicating the power steering was not working.

- Hudson, FL, USA

Oct 122021

Canyon

While driving the power steering stopped functioning and an error message popped up stating that it was not working. I stopped the vehicle turned off the ignition and restarted the vehicle and the power steering began working. This has happened twice in the past month.

- Denton, TX, USA

Oct 042021

Canyon

power Steering quit while driving.

- Caddo Mills, TX, USA

Sep 222021

Canyon

The power steering stopped working and my wife had to make an emergency stop on I 95. We turned the vehicle off and restarted it and the power steering worked again for awhile. The next day it happened 2 more times. I think this is the same issue as the 2015 recall. I called my GMC dealer and they said they could not help me because my Vin was not on the recall list.

- Savannah, GA, USA