- May 23: 2019 Honda CR-Vs Recalled After 3 Drivers Injured By Airbags recalls | 1 days ago
- May 9: Honda Civic Electric Parking Brake Problems Lead to Lawsuit news | 15 days ago
- April 28: Honda and Toyota Lawsuit Filed Over ZF-TRW Airbag Control Units news | 26 days ago
- April 27: Honda Timing Belt Recall Issued For Separated Teeth recalls | 27 days ago
- April 26: Recall: Honda Odyssey Minivans Shift Into PARK While Driving recalls | 28 days ago
2001 Honda Accord (Page 1 of 8)
This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.
CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2001 Honda Accord suffers from widespread transmission failure, subframe rust, & problems with the airbag system (SRS). We recommend avoiding this model year like the plague.
The transmission begins slipping & eventually has to be replaced, typically soon after 100,000 miles & with a repair cost of over $2,000. Transmission failure problems have been a huge problem for Honda Accords & other models all through the early 2000s model years. Honda eventually extended the transmission warranty to 93 months/109k miles for the 2000-2001 Accords as settlement for a class action lawsuit, but that period is over & owners of Accords with transmission problems are out of luck.
Subframe rust near the front passenger side wheel has become a problem recently, due to the poorly positioned A/C drain hose directly above that area. Repair cost to the subframe is over $2,000.
The SRS warning light likes to come on due to a defective seat belt sensor -- typically the driver's side. This sensor is covered under Honda's lifetime seat belt warranty, but some dealers charge a $100+ "diagnostic fee" or tell customers the entire SRS unit ($800) is bad. Also make sure your 2001 Accord has been checked for the airbag recall: excessive pressure may cause metal fragments during airbag deployment.
- Typical Repair Cost:
- Average Mileage:
- 102,650 miles
- Total Complaints:
- 142 complaints
Most Common Solutions:
- replace with a rebuilt transmission (60 reports)
- not sure (35 reports)
- replace with new transmission (33 reports)
- replace/rebuild transmission (8 reports)
- dealer fixed under 109k mile warranty extension / goodwill repair (3 reports)
- replace with aftermarket transmission (2 reports)