2020 Honda Accord brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2020 Honda Accord:

2020 Honda Accord Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 232022

Accord

The contact owns a 2020 Honda Accord. The contact stated while driving 40 MPH, the vehicle inadvertently decelerated without warning. The contact stated that after several minutes the vehicle started to operate as needed. On another occasion, while driving 35 MPH, the brake assist activated independently causing the vehicle to brake suddenly. On another occasion, while attempting to start the vehicle, the vehicle failed to start-up after several attempts. The contact stated that several unknown warning lights were illuminated. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for diagnostic testing. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not contacted. The failure mileage was 62,000.

- El Centro, CA, USA

May 272022

Accord

Today I was driving my Honda (Accord 2020) about 30 to 40 miles an hour and suddenly the car decided to brake for i guess a fraction of a second. It is hard to describe but literally felt that someone slam on the brakes. I also got the brake alarm and the sign on the dashboard "BRAKE" (orange sign). I was taken by surprise, even my wife asked me, what was I doing?. It was only a moment, but it was totally unexpected, lucky for me, there was no one in front or behind me. If you have questions please contact me at miguel_angelpucp@hotmail.com or 757-500-3832

- Yorktown, VA, USA

May 252022

Accord

Since purchased I-€™ve had to replace the rear break pads 3 times and the vehicle only had 79,000 miles. Front break pads have not been replaced. It seems to be going through break pads too quickly especially for the back breaks.

- Brentwood, CA, USA

Mar 112022

Accord

My front brake rotors needed to be re-turned at 22.6K miles. Based on my light-footed driving habits and general ownership experience, I think this is a very premature failure. I asked Honda Customer Service if they would consider this as a warranty repair, but they denied my request, saying it was normal wear-and-tear. In my opinion, Honda has used a substandard component or design that causes rotors to fail prematurely. This is supported by other reports of similar failure in the NHTSA database. I think that this failure could eventually present itself as a serious safety-related defect if left uninvestigated. I would urge NHTSA to look into the matter.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Mar 012022

Accord

Purchased as a new vehicle. Brakes went from operating normally to grinding and worn without warning around 20K miles. Pads replaced but no relief. Car was taken to dealership for service and rotors were turned. Vehicle operated fine after rotors were turned for approximately 2K miles then the same issue again. There is definitely a design issue with the braking system or rotor material. I have never had this many brake issues with any vehicle - new or used. The issue has caused increased braking distance and uncertainty around the reliability of the Accord braking system.

- Douglasville, GA, USA

Apr 282022

Accord

Driving on a two lane highway suburban area - 40 miles per hour in a 40 mph speed limit. No cars in front of me for at lease 1/2 mile - totally blank and clear road. A pick up truck behind me. Very little traffic. Suddenly without warning and knowing my foot is on the accelerator, the car brakes to a complete stop with no foot on the brake pedal! Complete random braking for no reason. Luckily the vehicle behind me was far enough and not too close which allowed him to swerve and avoid colliding into me. He passed me and probably thought I was crazy. I called Honda and they told me to bring it in which I did. They performed many tests in all areas and advised they could not locate anything wrong. I know there is an ongoing investigation with Honda Accords and dangerous random breaking, thus the reason for this incident to be documented. The general manager of the dealership was in touch with me and advised he would be doing some research. I could easily have been killed if not for quick thinking of the vehicle behind me, and also luckily no car in front of me. What do you advise? This is extremely disconcerting to know it could happen again.

- Fort Lauderdale, FL, USA

Apr 082022

Accord

Several times my car has slammed the brakes on its own when I have not touched the brakes and also when there is no car in front of me for it to detect the need to brake. The most recent time on 4/8 on the freeway.

- Hesperia, CA, USA

Feb 012022

Accord

The contact owns a 2020 Honda Accord. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, the tire pressure warning light and brake system warning light illuminated. The contact stated that the driver assists cruise control system, emergency brakes system, collision prevention system, and electrical steering assist all failed at the same time. The contact stated that the safety assist features became disabled but returned after the vehicle was restarted; however, the failure recurred. The contact stated that the failure occurred more frequently. The contact took the vehicle to the dealer however, the mechanic was unable to duplicate the failure. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 68,000.

- New Orleans, LA, USA

Mar 102022

Accord

I was driving yesterday accordingly to the speed limit on a main city street. There were no cars in front of me AT ALL when all of a sudden my car hit the breaks 3 times back to back out of nowhere causing my car to swerve! I felt completely out of control of my vehicle and I am so thankful I wasn't on the highway and that no one was near me! I first noticed issues with the breaking system, previously on 3 other occasions throughout my time of owning/leasing the vehicle. 3 other occasions before receiving an alert on the screen that read "the brake system has a problem. Avoid high speeds and sudden braking. Have your vehicle checked by a dealer immediately." That was February 13, 2022. I called immediately to take my car in and was told I would have to pay out of pocket to have this issue addressed which seems outrageous to me since it is something that I have no control over. So without the ability to pay such a high fee for a vehicle that I thought would keep me safe, I took it to a local auto shop and had my brakes checked while I had my routine maintenance done. I was told everything was fine, which in my opinion indicates it is at fault of the manufacturers.. I don't want to die before something is done. There have been many claims about the same thing happening. I'm truly shocked there hasn't been a recall due to this issue.

- Stockton, CA, USA

Feb 192022

Accord

This seems to carry over from problems with prior year models. I can be on the highway with no vehicle in front of me and the brakes apply by themselves (foot not even near the brake pedal). It is a brief braking, but it can be dangerous when someone decides to ride on my tail. I notice it does happen when I'm going around a curve and a railing next to me on the outside of the curve is near the lane. It also happens at times when a vehicle is in the next lane (right or left) and slightly ahead of me, even on a straight-a-way. It has happened multiple times. Date below is just the latest. I approximate my speed at 65MPH and my car low mileage.

- Winchester, VA, USA

Feb 152022

Accord

Multiple times while driving the emergency braking has engaged briefly. At first I thought it was detecting something in the road or a vehicle to the side of my car. That is not the case. It will apply this brake no matter what is in front of or around me. I have not noticed it doing it on secondary roads but it does it on highways and the interstate. This has created an unsafe situation many times.

- Mount Carmel, TN, USA

Dec 212021

Accord

While early driving in early December 2021 in my almost new car (7000+ miles) most all the lighted problems that could occur with an old vehicle lit up like a Christmas tree on the dashboard. Most of the items may or may not have actually quit working but their problem lights stayed on. Still it is no fun driving without cruise when your wife has breast cancer and you have have to drive 3 hours each way to Gainesville, Florida for treatment. I assume all the warning lights functions still worked, but it is hard to tell if things like the brakes were pr were not working when driving as they seemed to work fine. So I soon afterwards took the car into the dealer on December 11, 2021 in Leesburg, Florida. But by this time all the dash lights remained off as they are supposed to. So all they did was change the oil and did non-compliance recall BMC software update 20-039 and BGCM software update. The reason I brought the car in was not specified on my invoice. However, The dealer did say that my transponder for the EZ highway system was blocking the camera on the mirror. I believed them. Since then, however, today all the cash lights again said they were crashing again just before a 2-hour drive to the Gainesville cancer hospital. Upon return the lights went back to normal. I don't believe Honda dealers know what the problem is or why it continues in many millions of similar Hondas. My research on the Internet found at different complaints about said dashboard lights crashing causing similar problems. Most of these complaints had the dealers fix "the problem" and charging fees but again the customers reported do-over same problems.

- The Villages, FL, USA

Jan 062022

Accord

The brake system failed. I received an error message indicating "electric parking brake system problem. Parking break not available. See your dealer". All of the ABS messages, cruise control, etc. appear and say, "see your dealer". My safety was put at risk because the break automatically starts without me even pushing the break. This happens without any given notice and appears before the message occurs. This happens while vehicles are behind me on main roads and also happens while on the highway going a high rate of speed (speed limit). There is nothing that can be done to stop it manually. The car stops on its own. No, I will be scheduling a dealer appointment, since the issues continues to occur. No, the message appears after the issue starts.

- Ann Arbor , MI, USA

Dec 302020

Accord

Rear tire brakes started making a screeching noise days after taking the brand new car out of the lot. The car was returned to the car dealership. They "inspected" the car and called me back that the car is fine. The car continues to make the screeching noise and it feels unsafe. The car was new off the lot and should not be making noises. I am lost as to what else to do.

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Dec 302020

- San Pedro, CA, USA

Apr 262021

Accord

The vehicles braking system causes warped roters at very low mileage. Using these systems in combination with the warped roters causes vehicle shaking, driver distraction, and increased stopping distance. Honda replaced the first set of rotors under warranty which temporarily fixed the issue. However issues related to these systems incur excessive application of the brakes resulting in a resurfacing of the problem after a short time. Honda refuses to acknowledge this safety issue or repair

- Palmyra, PA, USA

Dec 192020

Accord

I bought this car with 7 miles on it. My husband instantly kept saying why is your car shaking when you apply the brakes? I didn't notice before but was, especially if your stopping from a speed of 50mph or more. By the time of my first service it was increasingly worse. I had them check it but they said it was fine. It got worse! I went back again & explained if it was fine we have a problem. They checked it again, said there must be a manufacturer defect with rotors. They machined them & put new pads. The next morning backing out of car port- scrubbing metal sound and squeal. These brakes are faulty and I can no longer trust that Honda cares. I'm trading my car for a maxima in September. I have owned 7 Honda's. this was my first brand ne one. Not good

- Bowman, GA, USA

Apr 172021

Accord

With only 2600 miles on the car, I went in for a inspection at Honda and the rear brakes were already fading to the point that I might need to replace them within 2K more miles. From what I read, the stabilizing feature that Honda implemented is a bit too aggressive and because of that the rear brakes are wearing out much faster than they should.

- Jersey City, NJ, USA

Apr 092021

Accord

The automatic braking system was activated when I was driving ~40mph on a straight highway under clear weather conditions with no cars in front of me. Fortunately, the car behind me was able to avoid me but I did receive a few honks and a couple of finger salutes. I immediately reported the problem to my dealership and still haven't heard from them - 4 hours and counting.

- Wyomissing, PA, USA

Jan 192021

Accord

The contact owns a 2020 Honda Accord. The contact stated while driving at various speeds, the vehicle would shake while making a squealing noise when the brake pedal was depressed. The contact stated there was no warning light illuminated. The vehicle was taken to lia Honda enfield (20 palomba dr, enfield, ct 06082) where it was diagnosed with the rear rotors needing to be replaced. The vehicle had been repaired however, the failure occurred. The contact took the vehicle to scott's automobile sales (249 hampden St, holyoke, MA 01040) for a second opinion and was informed that the front rotors and brake pads needed to be replaced. The manufacturer had been informed of the failure and referred the contact to the local dealer. The failure mileage was approximately 10,835.

- Westfield, MA, USA