2016 Honda CR-V engine problems: vibration at idle

Vibration At Idle

2016 Honda CR-V (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

7.1

2. turn on headlights (1 reports)
  3. turn on headlights, or hvac (1 reports)
2016 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Honda CR-V:

2016 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 012019

CR-V EX-L

I purchased my car on June 30, 2019 as a used car at a Acura dealership. I didn't notice the vibration on the test drive and only recently discovered this is a major issue for owners of the 2015 CR-V and that owners of the 2016 are experiencing similar issues. The vibration is intermittent when coming to a slow stop and at idle. The vibration varies from mild to significant when the RPM's drop to about 600. The vibration seems to increase after longer drives. I took the car to the Honda service center yesterday, but after a diagnostic they found nothing, The service rep claims the mechanic took the car for a drive, but I imagine he didn't feel the vibration, either mild or significant, as they claim the vibration is "normal." There's absolutely no way the vibration is normal based on my 33 years of driving experience! I opened a case with Honda USA, but they were not able to help. They only suggested I take it to another service center, perhaps they will notice the vibration. I told them I will also provide video. The case manager said that could help. I also plan to have the mechanic from the Acura dealership provide support, as that mechanic noticed the vibration when I took it for a drive before taking it into the shop, a few weeks ago. After I record the especially strong vibration, I will take it into another service center or to the one I took it to yesterday. Any suggestions on how to clearly record the vibration are welcome!

- Elaine P., South Pasadena, CA, US

Sep 012018

CR-V SE 4 Cylinder

My issue involves vibrations during idling in my 2016 CR-V (2WD, SE). I bought the car in August of 2018 and noticed the issue over time. While idling, especially in drive, I would notice that vibrations (similar to those from a massage chair) would start about 5 seconds after I stopped while idling. Things in the car would gently shake, and I would feel carsick over longer trips.

Finally, I decided to make a service appointment at the dealership (Penske Honda in Indianapolis, IN). The dealership had my car for two days on April 4 and 5, 2019, while they attempted various fixes (an idle relearn, cleaning the throttle body, and adjusting the engine valves). They pronounced the problem significantly better, but the vibrations remained exactly the same.

I made another appointment for today and Penske's Service Manager rode along with me and my husband to feel the vibrations. Everyone in the car definitely felt them while idling, but he said little (just that nothing could really be done). He then had my husband test-drive a similar 2016 CR-V to demonstrate that the vibrations are present in the other models as well (and my husband did feel them in that car too). According to the Service Manager, there's a problem with vibrations during idling in all of the recent CR-Vs and they have no way to address the problem (other than with the 2015s, which do have certain fixes).

I am so disappointed in the lack of resolution. This was my first big car purchase, and I chose Honda because I thought your cars were of excellent quality and dependable. I never would've purchased this car had I known of the vibrations. I hope Honda can come up with a fix to eliminate the idling vibrations that me and other 2016 CR-V owners are noticing.

- Beth T., Fishers, IN, US

Dec 102018

CR-V Limited 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Car vibrates unreasonably at red lights. Feels like it is coming apart. Dealers don't care and say it is normal, they can't fix.

- Ronnie S., Humble, US

Jan 122019

CR-V LX 2.4L

I bought a 2016 Honda CRV just 3 weeks ago and after one week I started to have problems with the engine vibrating with it is idling. I am very disappointed in Honda. I went from being a loyal Toyota buyer to being a Honda owner. This car was rated the highest in safety and that is important to me (and my family).

After a lot of research I discovered that Honda knows about this problem and has fixed it in their 2015 models. How about they fix it with the 2016 models??

Honda please fix this issue I spent a lot of money on this vehicle. By the looks of other complaints you could turn a lot of unhappy customers to happy customers, if the problem is fixed. I would like to be a happy and loyal Honda buyer, at this point I am not. If this problem does not get fixed I will NEVER buy another Honda!

- Lisa S., Goleta, US

Sep 212017

CR-V 2.4L

Took my CRV Honda to have this idle vibration checked and was told that nothing was wrong. Plus they said that it's normal. Took it again 05/09/18 battery was dead and I told them again too check the vibration and was told the same thing. I even showed them the video I recorded. So now my solution is when I'm in idle and it starts vibrating I turn the steering wheel to left and when it starts vibrating again I turn the steering wheel to the right. That's my dilemma, please help. I know I'm not crazy😣

- Frances E., Imperial, CA, US

Jul 232018

CR-V LX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Purchased used 2016 CR-V Honda LX on 7/23/18 from local dealer. Engine vibration at idle pretty bad. Can stop it if you turn on headlights, HVAC, or just turn steering wheel a little. The problem is the RPM drops to low in idle.

Local dealer readjusted all the engine mounts etc. No help. Says there is nothing they can do about it, and the engine is like a truck engine, that's why it has the vibration (BS) no fix and Honda says not covered under warranty. When I bought the car I had the AC on all the time as it is really hot in Vegas, so after three to four weeks I turned it off and discovered this issue.

Guess I am stuck with this problem, big money invested, and end up with this. I will never buy another Honda. Also, I saw some other comments on this issue and it said that they could cure the situation by adjusting the idle up, but it would violate the EPA law. I do not know if this is true or not. Don't know how to do it, not like the older cars. Thank for taking time to read this.

Update from Oct 10, 2018: Filed complaint with American Honda Customer Service in Ca. Was told get 2nd opinion, so went to different dealer, they did 37 point inspection, stated could not repeat customers issue on vibration idle. They just blew me off cause did not want get involved. Called Man in Ca., he working with my Honda shop, but they don't know what to do with it. Service Mgr there also told us that is normal cause the engine is like a truck engine as Honda tried to get more tort out of engine. Honda rep from Ca., in down 10/09 and looked at my car. He states this is characteristic of the vehicle and is normal. So they won't do any thing. Guess I will just have to live with it. As stated I can turn of the Head Lights or the AC or HV and RPM come up and vibration goes away.

Thanks for reading this.

Guy

- Guy P., Henderson, US

May 012017

CR-V EX 2.4L

We bought our CR-V on 2/2016. Six months later, we noticed a vibration at idle. In May of 2017, we took it to our dealer, Largo Honda which is 77 miles away and a 2 hour drive each way. We explained our concern regarding the vibration at idle, which at this point had become significantly noticeable. They said “may be a brake shake”. Shop foreman and tech test drove vehicle and were unable to duplicate issue. Nothing was done to remedy the problem.

Five months later 10/2017, I couldn’t take the vibration any longer. I felt unsafe in my own car. We took it to the dealership and the Service manager and Tech both drove the car and did feel the slight sputter but they claimed this is characteristic of this vehicle and normal operation. I feel there’s nothing normal about a vehicle that when is approaching a traffic light or stop sign begins to vibrate to the point that it feels like it’s going to stall at any moment. It is quite unnerving and I’m afraid to drive it.

After much research, I found that Honda had released a bulletin regarding this problem on the 2015 Honda CR-V (TSB 15-046) and they’re fixing the vibration problem as an improvement to the 2015 CR-Vs, per Honda’s rep. My husband called Honda Motor Co. this morning and opened a case with them about this problem. When he asked why not take the same action with the 2016 models since it is the identical problem, the response was that it is not a safety concern and therefore they will do nothing about it. My husband and I feel that Honda issued the above mentioned bulletin in Nov. 2015 in response to a lawsuit filed against them in January/2015. Until enough pressure is put upon Honda Motor Co. we may not see them addressing the vibration problem at all.

- Zaida P., Marathonarathon, FL, US

Sep 012017

CR-V Touring

Problem of rough idle occurs at idle in gear and on the highway above 55 MPH. Car occasionally almost dies at idle.

- cstuckeyjr, Fort Myers, US

Mar 022018

CR-V EX 2.4L Earthstream

• CVT transmission

The dealership admitted there's a problem but said there is no fix. Honda Canada won't do anything about it.

- Stan H., Toronto, ON, Canada

May 082016

CR-V EX

The car idles very rough and intermittently stalls in reverse. Took it to the dealership and they said they could not reproduce it in 15 minutes. They did nothing. Opened a ticket with Honda. They said to get proper documentation and refused to do anything else.

- usmdj, Woonsocket, US

Dec 172016

CR-V LX

So our CRV vibrates at idle when in gear. Honda tech says it's a known problem and is normal. When is a problem known or not normal. Simple fix.. Turn on your headlights. I know it sounds crazy but I will lay it out for you. While in gear at idle the PCM knows it needs less power so when a load or draw is created the PCM tells the engine to increase its rpm to generate more voltage. Target idle is at 720 rpm but when stopped it drops to 600, this is what creates the vibration. Currently Honda fix is to replace the tranny mount to try and damper the effect. It doesn't work. They need to change the program for the target idle however this would violate the EPA testing and numbers so they won't do it. Honda needs to either create a new program to create a smooth idling engine or issue a recall. The more complaints the better. Unfortunately, it's all about the $$.

- Jason K., Mesa, US

Jun 082016

CR-V AWD

I'm just another 2016 CRV owner that is experiencing the same engine vibration issue idle. Took it to Honda and they said same thing. Not a known issue PER HONDA CORPORATE and they cannot do anything about it. So BS. Car was bought March 2016 and started vibrating few months later. I don't blame the techs because they are just doing what their bosses say even though they for sure know its not normal. They even took me on a drive on a brand new one on the lot to compare...so obvious that the new ones do not have the issue. Then the tech said maybe because my car has miles on it and those new ones will soon be doing the same thing when put miles on. Just a badly built car. I'm pretty sure a lot of CRV owners are having the same problem and just keeping quiet about or they ignore after Honda says its normal. My car currently has 35k miles and still doing the same thing, vibrating at idle of 500 rpm, which NORMAL per the tech, is around 700 rpm. Please spread the message soon so hopefully I can get mine fixed before it dies.

- y6m6h6r6, Clovis, US

Jun 102016

CR-V EX 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Our 2016 Honda CR-V has been nothing but a huge problem since purchased new. It has the exact same vibration problem as the 2015 (see video) which Honda said was fixed for 2016. The vehicle vibrates at a stop when in drive. It will go away if put in park or neutral but that is not some that is safe to do at a stop sign, or something that should have to be done on any vehicle, let alone a brand new one.

Honda increased the idle speed in an attempt to mask the vibration issue but all it did as worsen their fuel consumption rating for 2016. This was confirmed by comparing the window stickers of 2015 and 2016 models. Owners of 2015 CR-Vs with the vibration problem and "fix" applied also report higher fuel consumption.

Honda admitted there's a problem but don't have a fix for my 2016 and are now saying the vibration "is a characteristic of the vehicle". I have driven many other CVT equipped cars and SUVs and they do not vibrate like this CR-V.

I knew Honda had slipped in reliability ratings over the years but this is crazy. My wife's 2016 CR-V EX is used for 90% highway driving and needed an all new rotor, caliper, and brake pads on the driver's rear side and new rotor and pads on the passenger rear. This is on a CR-V with only 24,000 kms (14,900 miles) that is well maintained, kept clean, and stays inside a garage. The guy in front of me at the the service desk needed to have all 4 corners replaced at 27,000 kms (16,800 miles) and I was told many other owners are in the same boat.

Our 2016 CR-V also needed a new rear passenger side wheel bearing at only 26,500 kms (16,465 miles). I have never been so disappointed in a vehicle in my 29 years of driving and this will be the absolute last Honda I will ever buy. Honda Canada had the chance to make this right and dropped the ball big time.

- crvproblems, Miramichi, NB, Canada

Oct 312016

CR-V EX

Bought a Honda CRV 2016 in July. There were no vibration issues during the test drive or until Nov 2016. I started experiencing vibration on idle after the first service. Thought, minor issue right after the service and it will settle down on its own. However, it continued for months. Went to a dealer last week and reported the issue and returned without any solution. In fact, they were not even ready to accept it as a problem and has been mentioned the issue a normal one. In addition, they also mentioned that the issue is not experienced in another 2016 model.

- shashi1249, Plano, US

Nov 012016

CR-V SE 2.4L

Bought new in 2016 August and noticed the vibration at idle after a couple months of ownership (because my wife drives it most of the time). My 2006 Accord is so quiet that I hardly notice engine running. Besides, it also has a high pitch hissing when I slow down or drive slow. I am afraid it will give me transmission problems down the line. I am very disappointed with 2016 CRV. If I had noticed these problem during test run I would not buy it. I kind of trusted Honda quality when I replaced my 1997 CRV with this new one. What a mistake!

- garyqc, Montreal, QC, Canada

Mar 252016

CR-V LX 4 cyl

• CVT transmission

The dealership took my lemon of a 2014 Subaru Forester (computer went out, belt needed replaced at 30k, etc and actually sold it on their lot so buyer beware) and I leased the Honda CRV because I did not do my research yet to jump into a new vehicle. Well yesterday the transmission had a shifting issue going downhill which I need to monitor but it definitely vibrates every time I am at a red light unless like one complaint says you let up on the brake. I also noticed (but have noticed this with every suv I have owned) the suspension makes a lot more noise (popping sounds which I have been told is normal). Going back to a truck after this one just waiting out my time and based on the complaints I probably am going to stay away from the Ridgeline.

- Pamela H., Milwaukee, WI, US

Dec 072016

CR-V SE 2.4L

• CVT transmission

Worst car ever, I don't know why Honda has high resale value.

- sam177, Houston, TX, US

Nov 012016

CR-V Touring

• CVT transmission

IN FEBRUARY 2016 MY WIFE AND I PURCHASED A HONDA CRV TOURING FROM RYAN HONDA IN MONROE LOUISIANA, IN LATE SEPTEMBER I GOT A RECALL TO BRING THE CAR IN FOR SERVICE, A SOFTWARE UPDATE FOR THE CTV TRANSMISSION, AFTER THE UPDATE WE STARTED HAVING A ROUGH IDLE WHILE STOPPED WITH THE CAR IN DRIVE, HAVE HAD THE CAR IN FOR SERVICE FOR THIS, HONDA KNOWS THAT THE UPDATE IS RESPONSIBLE BUT SAYS THEY CANT FIX THE PROBLEM, NOW THEY ARE TELLING ME THAT THIS IS NORMAL OPERATION. FOR THE FIRST 8 MONTHS AND 15K MILES IT WAS FINE NO SHAKING THAT WAS NOT NORMAL ACCORDING TO HONDA, BUT NOW ITS NORMAL, EVEN THOUGH IT STARTED AFTER THE UPDATE WAS INSTALLED, I WOULD ADVISE EXTREME CAUTION IN BUYING ANY VEHICLE FROM ANY HONDA DEALER, THIS IS NOT A 1 TIME THING THEY HAVE HAD NUMEROUS REPORTS AND LAWSUITS OVER THEIR ROUGH IDLE PROBLEMS WITH THEIR CARS, PLEASE GET THE WORD OUT THEY SHOULD BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THEIR ACTIONS.

- no1rebel, Downsville, US

Jan 172017

CR-V EX

Vibration at idle and its very very significant. Why isn't there a recall to fix this ?

- nolanridley, Cypress, TX, US

Jan 022016

CR-V EX 2.4L V4

• CVT transmission

VERY BAD VIBRATION ISSUE AT IDLE....BEWARE!!!!!!!

VERY BAD VIBRATION ISSUE AT IDLE....BEWARE!!!!!!!

- Vi N., Los Angeles, CA, US