CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends. Judging from the identical 2017 model year, the 2018 Honda CR-V is likely to have at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

6.7

$770

2. replace A/C compressor (2 reports)
  3. added r1234yf (1 reports)
2018 Honda CR-V AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

2018 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Jun 052021

CR-V EX 1.6L

• CVT transmission

The only cars I've ever had A/C problems with were a 1994 Honda del Sol and this 2018 Honda CR-V. In the case of the del Sol, there was a recall on the condenser, so it cost me nothing. With the CR-V, there is no recall and it appears I have to add refrigerant every year since the first failure. I've heard others have problems with systems using R1234yf, so I hope the EPA either recommends going back to R134F or finds something less problematic. It is an easy fix, but the recharge kits for R134F do not work, the threads are reverse of normal.

- Keith B., Mountain Grove, MO, US

Jul 082022

CR-V Touring

I purchased this in Feb of 2021 with 55k miles. In May we had to replace a high pressure fuel pump, cam, and something else because the spring on the fuel pump seized causing the case to spill into the oil. I know there's an oil dilution issue with these cars, but American Honda said they were not related. It would have been a $3k fix, but I raised enough Cain to where the service manager found a way to cover it.

Immediately after that repair I had to replace the battery (even though the previous owner had it replaced under warranty at 22k miles) and the A/C wasn't blowing cold. They said the discharge and suction hose need to be replaced. I've had 3 Honda's in my life... and this will be my last one.

- Chris J., Jacksonville, NC, US

May 172022

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

As the warm days approached, I turned on the AC only to find that it was blowing hot air. I thought it was low on refrigerant, because the previous year I had to recharge it because it was low on refrigerant. Took it to the dealer and they said that 2 hoses had to be replaced as well as the compressor because the clutch wasn't engaging. They quoted me $2,500. The ridiculous part is that the suv only has 50,000 miles on it. Bought the hoses and compressor and replaced it myself. Indeed the hoses were leaking and the clutch wasn't engaging.

- Darwin S., Nashua, NH, US

Aug 232021

CR-V EX

We bought the vehicle right before the pandemic began - it has less than 12k miles on it. We took it to the mechanic and he topped off the Freon and said it is a known problem. Well, that solution didn’t work more than 2 days. It is unfortunate to say the least!! How can a vehicle’s A/C not cool when it is only 3 years old, now 4. What happened Honda?

- Lisa M., Alexandria, VA, US

Aug 092018

CR-V LX 3.2L

Sad to have an A/C problem in new CR-V vehicle. I bought the Extended warranty and still I have to pay almost 200 USD to fix it.

- Sateesh K., Manama, Bahrain

Jul 202019

CR-V Touring 4

2018 Honda CRV Touring blowing warm air. Took it to the dealer and they replaced the compressor and seals & recharged A/C system. Seems to be working fine. Had lots of Honda cars never had any real problem with them, its odd to have such a new car needing a compressor. But the dealer did great service.

- Tom H., Mesa, AZ, US