2018 Honda CR-V AC / heater problems: heat not working properly

Heat Not Working Properly

2018 Honda CR-V

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends. Judging from the identical 2017 model year, the 2018 Honda CR-V is likely to have at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

9.2

2018 Honda CR-V AC / heater problems

AC / heater problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

2018 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Dec 012018

CR-V NAV 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Adding to what others have said, this vehicle is Unsafe to drive in cold weather. At highway speeds, temp gets up to full temp (~1/2 on gauge), as soon as you leave the highway or get into a traffic jam, temp drops fast. I videotaped the gauge after leaving freeway and pulling into a parking lot. At 0 degrees, temp went from 1/2, down until no lights lit/below the C in 3.5 minutes. Can't keep windshield clear w/precip or snow at this vehicle temp.

Problem is not intermittent - always happens when below ~15 degrees. Took to dealer but it was ~35 degrees. Dealer says nothing is wrong. Obviously not OK. Sent message to dealer asking for the service manager to call me. No call ever came. My first Honda, very disappointed. BTW, they supposedly fixed the oil overfill problem on this visit w/a software update.

I have received a letter from a law firm stating this vehicle is a lemon due to heat problem and gas in the oil so there must be a lot of them with this problem.

Here is my theory - would love to hear if this makes sense. I assume this vehicle has a standard thermostat. I.E water temp opens/closes it and not computer controlled. If so, I think the problem is a thermostat that is set too low (looks like it might be a 172 degree thermo) for cold climate use. My car is 180, my Expedition was 185 degrees. Does this make sense? How do we escalate this to get something done?

- Gary E., Blaine, US

Feb 022019

CR-V EXL 1.5L

click to see larger images

heat not working properly heat not working properly

Wife normally drives the CR-V, but on this day I was driving. After about 30 mins of driving doing errands, it was 18* F outside, I noticed insufficient heat inside cabin, so I cranked up the temp to max. I noticed every time I came to a stop, the temp dropped on temperature gauge and the heat temperature coming out got cooler, to the point where no heat was coming in the cabin. I’ve noticed it’s worst on colder days, just doesn’t maintain heat to a comfortable level. This is a hazardous issue as it is nearly impossible to keep windshield clear from ice and fog on cold days when driving. Very concerned as wife normally drives this vehicle and is now very worried driving kids to school with restricted vision on windshield and insufficient heat.

- Jose R., Stratford, US

Feb 082019

CR-V EX-L

First...I confess I am a huge brand loyal Honda person...which makes me even more disappointed in Honda. I purchased a 2018 CR-V this summer. I thought I thoroughly researched and have always checked Consumer reports prior to buying anything so this was a huge shock and disappointment.

Winter arrived and I noticed that my new CRV was not getting warm. Thought maybe I just wasn't doing something right, new vehicle etc. Unfortunately the problem was not me, the controls are not much different than my accord so I was using them correctly. This CRV is damn dangerous!!! Driving out to my farm, freezing rain and my windshield is fogging up, heat gauge drops constantly and blows cold air.

To make matters worse...I asked my daughter who I talked into buying a Honda CRV rather than the vehicle she wanted and hers is also freezing cold. We both owned Hondas previously and they were toasty warm and heated up quickly. I turn my command start on and i get in and it is still freezing cold.

This vehicle is UNSAFE until it is recalled to fix the heating issues. BEWARE!! Do not buy a new CRV until you can be sure Honda has acknowledged the problem and does a recall to fix. They are not safe when you can't trust the heating system to keep the windshield clear. Shame on Honda.

I've been driving Hondas for 40 years, my parents drove them, my kids drive Hondas and we are all thinking these New CRV's will be our last Hondas if the company doesn't fix the CRV Issues. Today I was driving a few friends in my new SUV and the entire drive was about what the hell is wrong with your vehicle questions and everyone telling me what a horrible heating system and how dangerous it is for a 2018 vehicle.

How many people have crashed in winter with these CRV's? I would be interested in the STATS on the windshields freezing up. This is crazy to have a new vehicle that isn't safe!

- Carol G., Medicine Hat, AB, Canada

Feb 032019

CR-V LX 1.5L

Warmed up the car and then scraped off the ice from the windshield. We were having freezing rain. Outside temperature -9. Drove into town, about 30 minutes and was unable to keep the ice from forming on windshield. Had to keep using windshield washer fluid. Heater stayed at 0 bars, then slowly went up to 4 bars and as I started driving on the highway it dropped to 0 bars and heat could not keep windows clear.

The exact same thing happened on the way home that evening!!!! An EXTREMELY DANGEROUS situation when you are driving and windshield freezes almost instantly.

Update from Feb 17, 2019: Went to dealer who finally contacted Honda and they now have a fix. They had to re-program the computer so problem would not occur again. They also had to change the oil as the problem also allowed fuel to leak into the oil. All is good now.

- Steve L., Dorval, QC, Canada

Oct 192018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Temp does not get to operating after 28km drive in city. Absolutely unacceptable. First time its been -20, but drive to work, barely comfortable after 14km. Tech says its ok, I say BS. Mediator is supposed to call in a week or so. Will keep you posted.

- Daniel N., edmonton, AB, Canada

Jan 012019

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Coldest car I've ever owned. Does/will not heat up to defrost windshield. Gets a little warmer the further you drive, about 30-40 miles or so. But it will cool down at idle. Very cold interior. Glad I've got heated seats.

- fredbear92, Saint Joseph, US

Oct 142018

CR-V LX AWD 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Cabin heater efficiency drops drastically & suddenly. This seems to be tied to oil dilution/ overfill issue. Real nice, especially living in Canada!!!

- buzzinhornet, Airdrie, AB, Canada

Jun 012018

CR-V LX Diesel

Heater does NOT work, Honda seems clueless to fix it! Lawsuit coming!

- Chris M., Angeles City, Philippines

Nov 262018

CR-V LX 1.5L Turbo

Drive 4 miles city and HWY and still no heat. On bad days you use a small scraper to keep windshield clear enough to drive..VERY UNSAFE CR-V.

- Rick S., Coldhere Ont, ON, Canada

Nov 302017

CR-V EX 1.9L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I just bought a 2018 Honda CR-V. My first brand new car in 30 years. The heat is awful. Even using the remote start the car is still cold after 10 minutes. My drive to work is 30 minutes and I rarely get up to 50mph. The temp gauge goes up to almost half if I am using the gas hard like going up a hill but at a red light the temp gauge goes back down to 1 or 2 bars. The only time the car heats up properly is while driving at high speeds on the highway for along period of time an hour or more. Otherwise I get little or no heat out of it. I need to add that It has been sub zero here in Maine for about a week but the heat was not much better before the cold snap. I have an Odyssey that the heat is amazing a mile down the road in any weather. The service writer tells me there is nothing wrong with the car. If that is the case I may have to buy a Toyota. :( I live in New England. If the car won't keep me warm then it needs a new owner. Any Florida takers?? I love it otherwise.

- Michele D., Gray, US