ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2018 Honda CR-V engine problems: fuel in oil with overfilled oil level, gas smell in cabin

Fuel In Oil With Overfilled Oil Level, Gas Smell In Cabin

2018 Honda CR-V (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends. Judging from the identical 2017 model year, the 2018 Honda CR-V is likely to have at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

8.3

2. campaign n61 software update (1 reports)
2018 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

2018 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 242018

• CVT transmission

I’ve always wanted to have a Honda CRV. Waited for my Honda CRV Touring to arrive at dealer directly from the factory and picked it up on September 20, 2018 with only 11 miles. My husband was going to change the oil yesterday (11/24/18). He had to look up oil capacity via the internet because it was not in our new owner's manual. This is when we started seeing comments related to the 2017 & 2018 CRV's with the 1.5 Turbo Honda engine along with 2016 to 2018 Honda Civics with the same motor having the same problems, oil dilution. He checked the oil dip stick level and sure enough we are showing over the fill mark according to Honda's recommendations. Oil level was checked when we purchased the vehicle and it was normal. Oil color is black and smells of gasoline vapors. Yesterday's odometer reading is 1,142 miles. This is a brand new vehicle and Honda is doing what - NOTHING. We have had a total of seven Honda vehicles since 1985. This is our sixth brand new Honda vehicle and our last!!! Why does Honda get away with selling these cars and continue selling these cars when there is a serious long term issue that can damage the engine. It is the consumer at this point that is paying not Honda. Calling the dealership first thing in the morning to return our Honda CRV for oil change minimum and to see what they have to say about fixing this issue. Will they replace the brand new motor due to insufficient lubrication? This is a 170 mile round trip to the dealership and back for this oil change. Have read comments from other Honda owners that have done the same thing and are having to have their oil changed every 500 miles. This is not a fix for the problem. Once again what is Honda doing! Due to my mileage usage of this vehicle, I have no choice but to set up oil change appointments every two weeks. The combustion engine was never designed to use gasoline in the crank case for lubricating of all internal surfaces. Not only is this impacting the crank case, but the oil also lubricates the turbo charger to keep it cool as stated in the owner’s manual. According to the Honda owner's manual, the turbo charger reaches a temperature of 1,292 degrees, so how is gasoline lubricating my turbo. Going to be filing a report With the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) along with Honda Customer Service about this issue. If you have a 2017 or 2018 Honda CRV be sure to check your oil and if you also have this problem report it to the NHTSA and Honda Customer Service.

- Barbara W., Fort Wayne, IN, US

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

just bought this vehicle. It is sucks to have this issue!

- Zhiping L., Dunlap, US

Oct 142018

CR-V LX AWD 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

My new CR-V just turned 391 miles (630 kms) when I checked the oil during a trip to the gas station, and noticed it was way overfilled, and smelled like gas. I went home, and did some research. I got the same results that most people get, when they find out they were also victims of Honda's crap engine defects! I thought getting a Honda was a sure way to avoid big problems. I was wrong. Sadly enough, they are still selling these vehicles knowing this major defect. Thankfully, I am leasing mine for two years only. Because they are the ones stuck with it after the lease, they did the software update (Recall #N61) on November 05. It seems to have helped, but too soon to call it a fix. Do not buy this vehicle, and do not believe them if they says it's normal! It isn't normal, and will eventually kill the engine. Avoid this lemon at all cost!!!!!

- buzzinhornet, Airdrie, AB, Canada

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

I bought 2018 Honda CRV recently. It as less than 200 miles. When I'm driving, I noticed a gas smell in the cabin. Initially thought something wrong. I read the articles online and came to know the Honda CRV has oil dilution issue. I was completely pissed off and my dealer didn't inform me when I bought the car. How come Honda designed the vehicle without the quality check. I never expected this from Honda. I even informed the same to my dealer and they say they are not aware of this issue.

- rkandula, ARLINGTON, VA, US

• CVT transmission

So, I think Honda was trying to make a great next car and they did pretty well. The only one thing probably need more work on the 1.5 turbo engine design. We receive a lot of complaints about gas in the oil is because, for this kind of car size, plus imagine to be loaded with people and stuff, the engine is too weak even it's 190HP. Now imagine under what pressure those pistons work. Therefor we have to take closer look at the design and capability. Thanks.

- demy, Manchester, US

Oct 132018

• CVT transmission

Went camping in Shenandoah national park in VA. Cold overnight, drove home on Sunday and noticed gas smell which eventually went away after driving home. Noticed again during the week. Checked online and saw issues with fuel/oil mix issues for CRV, so I checked the engine oil and noticed strong gas odor, and oil level was way past the high level mark. Took to closest dealer to check, and dealer claimed that high oil level and gas smell is "normal" and didn't do anything. Ended up changing the oil anyway out of pocket.

- km18_crv, Kensington, US

Oct 132018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L I4 Turbo

• CVT transmission

The car is at 1103 miles now, and when checked oil dip stick, the oil level is above the full mark, and the oil smells like gasoline. From forums that I read, this issue has been around for quite a while now. We just bought this car a couple of weeks ago, and the Honda dealer should have known about this issue but did not inform about this to us at all and still made a sale.

I'm so f*cking pissed about how Honda does business these days. Either stop selling this defected cars or at least inform buyers before the sale that there's gonna be some type of fix later which will solve this issue. Now can I keep driving my car and promote premature wear on the engine or should I stop driving this car until mid November Honda comes up with something?

F*cking Honda. This is my first Honda and will be the last for sure. Never f*cking buy Honda. Taking people's money and doing shady business. Did they even QC the engine? Even Korean brands nowadays make much better cars than this.

- Minsuk K., Auburn, US

Oct 122018

• CVT transmission

2018 CRV Touring Model. Experienced the oil dilution problem that so many other CRV owners have complained about. Took car to dealer who acknowledged the problem but said there was no fix and said "Honda will come up with something". I left and registered a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. I would suggest all do the same to try to get some pressure applied to Honda. Go to NHTSA.com and register your complaint.

Update from Oct 28, 2018: Website to register complaint with National HighwayTransportation Safety Adm. is NHTSA.gov

- Donald H., Chicago, US

Jun 152018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Checked the oil level when I first purchased it in March of 2018 and it was fine. Didn't check it for about two months and then discovered it was over full. Searched on the internet about the problem and discovered that other people were experiencing the same thing. Called the dealer and they ask me to bring it in. They changed the oil and filter free of charge. They said that they were not aware of the problem. They contacted Honda and the Honda contact was aware this was happening. I checked my oil level after they changed the oil and filter and the oil was above the orange plastic tip on the dipstick. Now after 800 miles, the oil level is about 0.2 inches higher. I bought this car outright - no trade and paid cash. I am sick! I have owned Hondas since 1973 and have had great service from the vehicles in the past. One Accord that my son "inherited" from his mother attained 430,000 mostly trouble free miles. I don't think I will ever own another Honda, but don't know how to successfully get rid of this one. It sure won't last! Do not buy one of these! I should have done more research before I purchased it.

- Stanley M., Columbia City, Indiana, US

Aug 152018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Gas dilution in oil. I have a 2018 Honda CR-V touring that was purchased new 12/11/2017. I change my oil and filter myself every 5,000 miles. The first two oil changes I really didn't pay close attention to how much oil was removed from the oil change. I save the old oil to be recycled and saved the oil from the 15,000(8/15/18) and 20,000(10/13/18) changes in separate containers . 10/13/18 i read a article about oil dilution from gas, I calibrated a gallon jug at 3.7 qts(118 oz) and 4 qts(128oz). The 15,000 oil changed filled the jug completely(138oz) and and still had (12oz) left over for a total of (32oz) more than max fill, the 20,000 oil change was (6oz) over the 4qt mark for a total of (16oz) above max fill. The oil was very black and the viscosity is very thin and has some gas smell. I have not in cured gas odor inside of the cabin. Most of the mileage is on the highway with minimum lengthen of 30 miles per trip. I have an appointment with my dealer to have tire rotated 10/15/18 and I plan to present the data to them and see what their response is..

Update from Oct 18, 2018: On 8/15/18 took my car to the dealer for tire rotation and wheel alignment, during that time I talked to the Service Manager and presented him with all the data from the two oil changes along with the oil from the changes. He said this was the first complaint he had heard of at the dealer which is new and only been open about 6 months. He took a sample of the oil and agreed that it smelled of gas and that he would contact Honda Tech line and get back with me, have not heard back as of 3:30PM 10/18/18. I took a 80ml sample of oil today (184 miles since oil change) and the oil is already very dark and smells of gas. I am going to call and make a formal complaint so there is a case #.

Update from Oct 24, 2018: Dealer called me back and said that Honda was aware of the problem and that it was with the software causing to much injector fuel pressure and they are working on a solution, he also said Honda said that it would not cause any damage to the engine, do they think that everybody knows anything about engine lubrication. He did offer to change my oil anytime I felt that it needed it due to fuel in the oil, so I will. I ordered a 100 ml Syringe with Handy Plastic Tubing, Care joy Large Plastic Industrial Syringe + 80 cm(31.5 in) Long Hose Fluid Suction Injector for Scientific Labs Injecting, Drawing Oil, Fluid and Water from Amazon for $8 and Acrux 7 50 ml Plastic Centrifuge Tubes & Blue Screw Cap, 30 Pack Clear Plastic Vial, Graduated Every 5 ML, Standing Plastic Vial, Small Plastic Bottle, Sample Vials, Plastic Test Tube for Cold Storage for $15. The tubing fits down the dip stick tube which means you can get a oil sample anytime you want and the storage tubes are great for retaining you samples. I got a sample after just 184 miles after oil change and the oil was already black and smelled of gas. Will have the dealer change oil and filter after just 500 miles due to i will be taking a 900 mile trip two days after oil change.

- John Z., Bishop, TX, US

Oct 082018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

200 miles and already fuel in oil. 1 quart over on stick, smell in cabin and I live in San Diego so not a cold weather problem.

- Ken B., San Diego, US

Jul 172018

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

Vehicle was purchased new with 18 miles in March 2018. 1st oil change at dealership where vehicle was purchased was done at 6500miles. At the time because of initial issues with oil in the engine on 2017 models I kept checking the oil level even before the first oil change. No issues until this week, I topped off the coolant level and checked the oil level. Oil was very liquid and well above maximum level on dipstick. Called American Honda Motors and opened a case number.

Took vehicle to the dealership the next day (Spring Branch Honda-Houston Texas) service advisor checked my complaint and said that he had never seen anything like it in all his years. Next day he said that the dealer service manager and Honda Techline were involved, they checked each individual cylinder and no pressure loss was detected or any other anomalies. Since there were no warning lights and no symptoms of a problem found, they send me on my way. (I had no gas odor detected and no check engine light(s) ever went on)

They changed the oil at no charge and asked that I come back at 15K miles which was next minor service. I am leaving for a long trip in a few days. Stay tuned'

The vehicle was purchased in Texas, so this issue is not limited to cold weather climates .Motor Trend's 2018 SUV of the year...2018 KBB Best Buy Compact SUV/Crossover and 2018 US News Best SUV for the Money? I'm guessing they never heard of this issue on the 2017's which continues on the 2018 with no fix in sight.

Update from Aug 5, 2018: Long drive to upstate NY, American Honda called advising me they were closing the case. I said that how could they since it was not resolved. Called back and asked me to have Honda dealership in Rochester, NY look at vehicle. Ralph Honda checked vehicle with their best technician, Honda Tech Line again involved. Was told that they saw no codes and it was a "known issue" with Honda and they are seeking a solution.

HOW ABOUT REPLACING THE ENGINE WITH THE NON TURBO MODEL....

- lostfaith, Houston, US

Sep 052018

CR-V EX-L With Navi 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I expect American Honda motor company to fix the problem like they did for the Chinese and Canadian owners.

- James F., Medford, US

May 052018

• CVT transmission

HONDA please step up and do something about your 1.5L turbo engine before you lose all your customers!

- Jason H., Simi Valley, CA, US

Aug 042018

• CVT transmission

CHANGE OIL AND FILTER WITH1890 MILES BECAUSE IS OVERFILLED LEVEL WITH GAS SMELL.

- Daniel C., South Dartmouth, MA, US

Jun 012018

CR-V EXL 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Purchased my 2018 Honda CRV EXL to replace our 2006 Odyssey van that was totaled out in an accident. We actually had 211,000 miles on the van with no problems. This CRV's oil in the gas issue is a major issue for me. This is the first major problem I've had with any Honda cars and I own 7 Honda/Acura vehicles. I plan to call and see what my options are. If they do not address this, I may never buy another Honda again.

- Anthony D., Grand Ledge, US

May 252018

CR-V Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

When the oil dip stick was pulled, there was a strong smell of gasoline coming out of the dip stick hole, and it showed the oil was overfilled with factory oil in the engine. It was overfilled by at least 1/4 inch. When the engine oil was drained during the first oil change at 5827 miles, the oil had a very strong smell of gasoline. The oil seemed like there was almost no viscosity left, and drained like water out of the crankcase. The engine oil was diluted with gasoline.

- Haibin W., Albany, US

May 202018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Checked the oil dipstick at 1500 miles. Oil level is above the upper mark and strong smell of gasoline on the dipstick. Called Honda dealer today but had to leave a voice mail of the issue. Have not received a response back yet. Found many posts on several web sites with this issue on the CRV and Civic, so it's an engine issue - not just my individual vehicle.

- Wayne R., Mountlake Terrace, US

Mar 012018

CR-V Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Never got to enjoy the new car smell that I paid a lot of money for. Smells like an old carburetor engine with the choke stuck.

- nexttonormal, Bloomington, US

Apr 222018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L 4 cyl Turbo

• CVT transmission

I cannot believe that a brand new car has an issue this bad. It would be one thing if this oil dilution issue were due to an obviously bad part, which Honda could replace and completely fix the issue...but Honda says oil dilution is normal and acceptable. A little oil dilution may be acceptable in Direct Injected engines but, not to this extent! I'm really worried about the long-term effects of the dilution because the oil is not able to properly lube the mechanical parts in its current condition. And the fix is not "change your oil more often."This is either a design flaw, or a faulty manufacturing issue. Either way, if Honda does not step-up and address the issue I will be selling this vehicle and purchasing a new 2019 RAV4.

What stinks the most to me is that this CR-V is my family's 5th Honda vehicle ('02 Civic, '06 RSX Type-S, '08 Accord, '12 Odyssey, '18 CR-V) and it's the first one to have a problem right out of the gate. I know Honda is better than this, but it seems like they don't care.

- Johnny M., Louisville, KY, US