ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2018 Honda CR-V engine problems: fuel in oil with overfilled oil level, gas smell in cabin

Fuel In Oil With Overfilled Oil Level, Gas Smell In Cabin

2018 Honda CR-V

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends. Judging from the identical 2017 model year, the 2018 Honda CR-V is likely to have at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only proposed a recall in China, & regulators there have rejected it because they don't think Honda's plan is sufficient.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

8.4

2018 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

2018 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

May 202018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Checked the oil dipstick at 1500 miles. Oil level is above the upper mark and strong smell of gasoline on the dipstick. Called Honda dealer today but had to leave a voice mail of the issue. Have not received a response back yet. Found many posts on several web sites with this issue on the CRV and Civic, so it's an engine issue - not just my individual vehicle.

- Wayne R., Mountlake Terrace, US

Mar 012018

CR-V Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Never got to enjoy the new car smell that I paid a lot of money for. Smells like an old carburetor engine with the choke stuck.

- nexttonormal, Bloomington, US

Apr 222018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L 4 cyl Turbo

• CVT transmission

I cannot believe that a brand new car has an issue this bad. It would be one thing if this oil dilution issue were due to an obviously bad part, which Honda could replace and completely fix the issue...but Honda says oil dilution is normal and acceptable. A little oil dilution may be acceptable in Direct Injected engines but, not to this extent! I'm really worried about the long-term effects of the dilution because the oil is not able to properly lube the mechanical parts in its current condition. And the fix is not "change your oil more often."This is either a design flaw, or a faulty manufacturing issue. Either way, if Honda does not step-up and address the issue I will be selling this vehicle and purchasing a new 2019 RAV4.

What stinks the most to me is that this CR-V is my family's 5th Honda vehicle ('02 Civic, '06 RSX Type-S, '08 Accord, '12 Odyssey, '18 CR-V) and it's the first one to have a problem right out of the gate. I know Honda is better than this, but it seems like they don't care.

- Johnny M., Louisville, KY, US

Mar 012018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Gasoline keeps building up in the oil and it registers as overfilled on the dipstick. Dealer (under massive protest) changed the engine oil at 2200 miles but it is only a temporary fix.

- Michael G., Gresham, OR, US

Apr 012018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

At 500 miles I noticed an oil level increase / due to fuel?

In cold weather so far between 30F-45F the cars take a long time to warm up. At 32F it took 10 miles to get to 185F (measured via Scangauge 2)

- Laszlo B., Wyndmoor, US

Oct 272017

CR-V LX 1.5L Turbo

Gas in the oil can't be good.....since they don't seem to be doing anything about it......I want a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty

- Rick S., Welland, ON, Canada

Mar 172018

CR-V EX

Third oil change in a month was received on 3/15 for fuel in oil. On 3/17, after doing some shopping, I started my car. My 6 year old and her friend were in the backseat and started complaining, begging me to roll the windows down. The gas fumes in the interior of the car were that bad. Only two days after the oil change! That is a safety issue. Reporting to my dealer.

Feb 192018

CR-V EX

Our MPG started to suck, and we noticed it would hesitate on acceleration sometimes. I would smell gas fumes but didn't think anything of it, in the winter scents are a bit more noticeable, thought it was another car. Then one day we were heading to visit family and the kids started complaining about the smell of gas in the back seat, it was making them sick. Turning off the heat helped.

I asked on a CRV Forum I'm part of on Facebook, and someone advised checking my oil for being overfull and smelling like gas. It didn't appear overfull, but I smelled it (yes, I smelled my dipstick) and it burned my nose. No mistaken, it smelled just like gas out of the pump smells.

Brought it into the dealer 2 days later. Engine oil was overfull by 3/4 quart due to fuel dilution. Changed engine oil and filter. Dealer advised I'm one of over 50 people at this dealership with this issue. Further advised I was one of the "lucky" ones since my car didn't stall, strand me, and/or engine light didn't come on. Some have had to have work done due to damage. Dealer advised Honda had no clue, and for me to check my oil if I smelled fuel again.

I opened a case up this same day with Honda, #06702985. Case mgr called me on 2/22 and I missed the call. I called back and left a message. Never heard from Honda until after my next incident, of which I will file my next complaint and continue the story.

Feb 282018

CR-V EX

Here we are, part two. First oil change at 3953 miles on 2/19. First I should say, I live in a rural area. I do not drive frequent, short distances.

On 2/25 I drove 50+ miles one way to do shopping. Got to the first store, just fine. Went to the next store, smelt faint fumes. Third store, overtook the cabin, it was horrible. Went to visit family, out to eat, then traveled 50 miles back home. The long drive made the strong smell go away. Got home, left the car running long enough to bring groceries in, brought the car into the garage, promptly shut it off. Shut the garage door. About 15 minutes later came out to put groceries in the deep freezer and the garage REEKED of fuel. I put the car outside.

On 2/27 I called Honda again, still had not heard from my case manager. Got voice mail. So I called back, spoke to someone and they tried reaching my case manager. Unavailable. So I posted on Honda's FB page and that got a response. I gave them my case # and advised what was happening. Called the dealer, made an appt for 2/28. Brought the car in that day (these are 50 mile one way trips to the deal) and again, oil overfull. Changed oil and filter. Mileage 4272.