2018 Honda CR-V engine problems: fuel in oil with overfilled oil level, gas smell in cabin

Fuel In Oil With Overfilled Oil Level, Gas Smell In Cabin

2018 Honda CR-V (Page 1 of 2)

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends. Judging from the identical 2017 model year, the 2018 Honda CR-V is likely to have at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only conducted a recall in China & a "product update" in Canada.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

8.2

2. campaign n61 software update (1 reports)
2018 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

2018 Honda CR-V Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Nov 152018

CR-V EX 2.4L

I reported problem to my Hondal dealer with 11K miles on it. They checked and I got their official report: "Costumer states the thermostat go from warm to cold fast and the oil is overflowing and smells like gas in cabin. Found that the oil has normal amount of gas, oil level is normal. Temp gauge is working as it should at this time, At colder temps gauge will drop fast. Everything is working as it should be." I know where you pull stick from oil chamber, this oil smells like gas. Also after being 15 minutes on the road my heat stop working especially when going down the hill, not using gas pedal.

- Anna F., Ballard, WV, US

Jan 052019

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

• CVT transmission

This was the second oil change (first at 2.7k miles, 06/02/2018)

I use Mobil one 0W-20.

Normal oil capacity is 3.7 quarts; I removed 4.8 quarts.

Definitely gasoline smell with the old oil.

Very concerned about potential premature wear of the engine.

(I do my own oil changes always on time/ have another car with 330,000 mi still running well !)

- sorinbota, Roswell, US

Jan 222019

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I purchase my new 2018 Honda CR-V in November 2018, not realizing the apparent issues inherent with the vehicle’s engine. Surely had I known at the time I would not have purchased the car. Since December, learning of matters, I have been plugged into various sites and blogs regarding the issues on pretty much a daily basis.

My drive to work is approximated 18 miles one way. Today on the travel, with the outside temperature reading 21 degrees on the car’s display, I noticed, for lack of heat, that it took the car about 8 miles to reach normal operating temperature, which is about half way on the gauge. At about 10 miles, a strong odor of gasoline filled the cockpit of the car. Looking down at the temperature gauge, it had fallen to the quarter mark. I consider driving down the road at 40mph and having the car fill will such a strong smell of gasoline a safety hazard and immediately found a spot to pull over, turned off the car, got out, opened the doors to air it out and looked under the hood where the odor remained. The drive is constant and in the country, so there is no reason for the gasoline odor or for the operating temperature drop except for the car itself.

I am extremely disappointed and concerned since this seems to be one of the symptoms plaguing the car potentially leading to additional serious issues. I have just over 3000 miles on the car and purchased it because I plan on retiring soon and need dependable transportation when on a fixed income. The only thing that I’ve learned from Honda is an excuse, that it is a cold climate issue and will be addressed in those areas. I live in South Carolina where 21 degrees in the winter is not uncommon and hardly considered a cold weather climate.

I demand to know the root cause for the obvious issues with the car and a fix for the long term. Otherwise I want the vehicle replaced with another that doesn’t have an engine associated with these problems or my hard earned money refunded, so that I can look for a vehicle elsewhere.

- james alois, Fountain Inn, US

Nov 072018

click to see larger images

fuel in oil with overfilled oil level, gas smell in cabin

Just like all the other complaints, had the "fix" done by the dealer where they reprogram the car and replace the heater control. Was told this is the fix for the oil/gasoline issue and the poor heat in the cabin. Oil level keeps rising with no change in the rate of increase. Boy do I regret buying this vehicle! Honda will not stand behind their error. As you keep pushing Honda, their response was 1. Never heard of this issue 2. This is normal, Not a problem 3. Honda has addressed the issue. Well, Honda has not addressed the issue because my oil smells like gas and is dark. The oil in the pic shows the oils after several hundred miles.

- fcg020, Crystal Lake, US

CR-V EXL 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Honda America is downplaying the oil contamination problem. Honda Canada is taking it more serious. I live in Northeast Iowa and it gets very cold here. I am watching the oil level rise and concerned my $30K purchase is being damaged as we drive. I am retired and cannot afford extra repair expenses. Honda needs to man-up and fix this issue ASAP. Iowa is not on the list to be fixed first.

Honda has let me down in my last two new cars purchased from them. I had a 2009 Honda Civic Hybrid. The battery design was terrible and was difficult to service. When the batteries started failing, Honda reprogrammed the engines to use the battery less and burn more fuel. Why did I buy a Hybrid?

- Charles C., CEDAR FALLS, IA, US

Jan 042019

• CVT transmission

Brand new Honda CRV 2018. Major issues in first 3000 miles. Am shocked by dealer and corporate Honda total apathy. AVOID this motor at all cost. Honda has not been the least reassuring. I am very uneasy about this motor and Honda customer service. Stay clear!!!!!

- Brian S., cocolalla, US

Oct 122018

CR-V 1.5L Turbo Charged

click to see larger images

fuel in oil with overfilled oil level, gas smell in cabin fuel in oil with overfilled oil level, gas smell in cabin

We took our new CRV on a trip to Nashville, TN from Traverse City, MI. The check engine light came on and the oil can icon lit up. I called the Honda dealer where I bought the c rv from and they had no idea what was going on. I got out and checked the oil and found it high. I brought the Honda to a quick lube to check it. They changed the oil then sent me on my way. After arriving back home TC a few weeks later we got a recall letter from Honda.

On Wednesday, December 26th, Williams Honda in TC did the recall work. On Thursday my wife got in the vehicle to go shopping and the heater would not work. She called the Honda dealer and brought the Honda to them. They said that they did not cause the heater to not work with the recall repair. After doing something, the heater began to work again. This is very worrisome, we are not sure what to do next.

7FARW2H50JE069778

Update from Dec 29, 2018: Update Saturday December 29th, we went for a drive around Traverse City, stopped at the Farmer's Market, visited new car dealerships and returned home and parked it in the garage. During the drive, it took the Honda 45 minutes to warm up so the heater would work properly. It's 22 degrees F in TC. After 45 minutes in the garage I went out and checked the oil level. It was way over full again and smelled like gas. The recall fix obviously did not work.

- Paul K., Traverse City, MI, US

Jan 042019

CR-V EXL 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Checked the oil level on dipstick today after hearing all the gasoline in oil rumors. I've got it too. Very, very, strong smell of gasoline on the dipstick. I know gas and oil will not mix friendly. I'm afraid this dilution will wear out my motor before its time. I bought this CRV to replace a 20 year old Chrysler Concorde. Yeah, I drive my cars a long time before I'm ready to upgrade. I only average 7000 miles a year so with maintenance I usually can keep them going. Not sure if I will be able to overcome this oil dilution. Bet I won't see 20 years in this car. Had I known how widespread this problem was, I would have bought a Toyota Rav4, comparable vehicle with a lot less problems.

- fredbear92, Saint Joseph, US

Oct 182018

• CVT transmission

I bought my 1.5T AWD CR-V in January 2018. The dealer changed the oil at the recommended 5,000 miles in late July 2018. I first noticed a smell of gasoline in our garage in early October 2018 (like we have an old 1960s-era car, with a leaky carbureted fuel system.) I also notice occasional wafts of gasoline smell, when we drive with the windows down & roof open.

In mid-October I did a did a side-by-side dipstick smell test: from the cold engines of my 70,000-mile Infiniti G37 and the CR-V. The Infiniti's oil (3,000 miles-old) was slightly grimy, a tiny bit down from the full mark, and smelled of used engine oil. The Honda's oil (1,600 miles-old) was very marginally above full, looked pristine-clear, and smelled of gasoline.

In late October 2018, at 6,900 miles, I took the CR-V to the dealer for a precautionary early oil change. Two service advisors had never heard of the oil dilution problem. A third told me, "We've only had two."

Now that winter has set in I've noticed that the engine never gets up to working temperature if the cabin heat is on. From cold I drive the car for 10 minutes before switching on the cabin heat. This allows the engine to warm up. The engine can't get itself up to working temperature AND deliver cabin heat simultaneously. It's akin to deliberately keeping an engine cold by both fitting an oversize radiator, and removing the coolant thermostat.

I'm guessing this is why the injectors are squirting in the very rich fuel mixture that's washing down into the oil. Gasoline-thinned oil is a bad lubricant... and horrible for engine longevity.

- fairalbion, Jasper, US

Nov 242018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I’ve always wanted to have a Honda CRV. Waited for my Honda CRV Touring to arrive at dealer directly from the factory and picked it up on September 20, 2018 with only 11 miles. My husband was going to change the oil yesterday (11/24/18). He had to look up oil capacity via the internet because it was not in our new owner's manual. This is when we started seeing comments related to the 2017 & 2018 CRV's with the 1.5 Turbo Honda engine along with 2016 to 2018 Honda Civics with the same motor having the same problems, oil dilution. He checked the oil dip stick level and sure enough we are showing over the fill mark according to Honda's recommendations. Oil level was checked when we purchased the vehicle and it was normal. Oil color is black and smells of gasoline vapors. Yesterday's odometer reading is 1,142 miles. This is a brand new vehicle and Honda is doing what - NOTHING. We have had a total of seven Honda vehicles since 1985. This is our sixth brand new Honda vehicle and our last!!! Why does Honda get away with selling these cars and continue selling these cars when there is a serious long term issue that can damage the engine. It is the consumer at this point that is paying not Honda. Calling the dealership first thing in the morning to return our Honda CRV for oil change minimum and to see what they have to say about fixing this issue. Will they replace the brand new motor due to insufficient lubrication? This is a 170 mile round trip to the dealership and back for this oil change. Have read comments from other Honda owners that have done the same thing and are having to have their oil changed every 500 miles. This is not a fix for the problem. Once again what is Honda doing! Due to my mileage usage of this vehicle, I have no choice but to set up oil change appointments every two weeks. The combustion engine was never designed to use gasoline in the crank case for lubricating of all internal surfaces. Not only is this impacting the crank case, but the oil also lubricates the turbo charger to keep it cool as stated in the owner’s manual. According to the Honda owner's manual, the turbo charger reaches a temperature of 1,292 degrees, so how is gasoline lubricating my turbo. Going to be filing a report With the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) along with Honda Customer Service about this issue. If you have a 2017 or 2018 Honda CRV be sure to check your oil and if you also have this problem report it to the NHTSA and Honda Customer Service.

- Barbara W., Fort Wayne, IN, US

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

just bought this vehicle. It is sucks to have this issue!

- Zhiping L., Dunlap, US

Oct 142018

CR-V LX AWD 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

My new CR-V just turned 391 miles (630 kms) when I checked the oil during a trip to the gas station, and noticed it was way overfilled, and smelled like gas. I went home, and did some research. I got the same results that most people get, when they find out they were also victims of Honda's crap engine defects! I thought getting a Honda was a sure way to avoid big problems. I was wrong. Sadly enough, they are still selling these vehicles knowing this major defect. Thankfully, I am leasing mine for two years only. Because they are the ones stuck with it after the lease, they did the software update (Recall #N61) on November 05. It seems to have helped, but too soon to call it a fix. Do not buy this vehicle, and do not believe them if they says it's normal! It isn't normal, and will eventually kill the engine. Avoid this lemon at all cost!!!!!

- buzzinhornet, Airdrie, AB, Canada

• CVT transmission

I bought 2018 Honda CRV recently. It as less than 200 miles. When I'm driving, I noticed a gas smell in the cabin. Initially thought something wrong. I read the articles online and came to know the Honda CRV has oil dilution issue. I was completely pissed off and my dealer didn't inform me when I bought the car. How come Honda designed the vehicle without the quality check. I never expected this from Honda. I even informed the same to my dealer and they say they are not aware of this issue.

- rkandula, ARLINGTON, VA, US

• CVT transmission

So, I think Honda was trying to make a great next car and they did pretty well. The only one thing probably need more work on the 1.5 turbo engine design. We receive a lot of complaints about gas in the oil is because, for this kind of car size, plus imagine to be loaded with people and stuff, the engine is too weak even it's 190HP. Now imagine under what pressure those pistons work. Therefor we have to take closer look at the design and capability. Thanks.

- demy, Manchester, US

Oct 132018

• CVT transmission

Went camping in Shenandoah national park in VA. Cold overnight, drove home on Sunday and noticed gas smell which eventually went away after driving home. Noticed again during the week. Checked online and saw issues with fuel/oil mix issues for CRV, so I checked the engine oil and noticed strong gas odor, and oil level was way past the high level mark. Took to closest dealer to check, and dealer claimed that high oil level and gas smell is "normal" and didn't do anything. Ended up changing the oil anyway out of pocket.

- km18_crv, Kensington, US

Oct 132018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L I4 Turbo

• CVT transmission

The car is at 1103 miles now, and when checked oil dip stick, the oil level is above the full mark, and the oil smells like gasoline. From forums that I read, this issue has been around for quite a while now. We just bought this car a couple of weeks ago, and the Honda dealer should have known about this issue but did not inform about this to us at all and still made a sale.

I'm so f*cking pissed about how Honda does business these days. Either stop selling this defected cars or at least inform buyers before the sale that there's gonna be some type of fix later which will solve this issue. Now can I keep driving my car and promote premature wear on the engine or should I stop driving this car until mid November Honda comes up with something?

F*cking Honda. This is my first Honda and will be the last for sure. Never f*cking buy Honda. Taking people's money and doing shady business. Did they even QC the engine? Even Korean brands nowadays make much better cars than this.

- Minsuk K., Auburn, US

Oct 122018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

2018 CRV Touring Model. Experienced the oil dilution problem that so many other CRV owners have complained about. Took car to dealer who acknowledged the problem but said there was no fix and said "Honda will come up with something". I left and registered a complaint with the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration. I would suggest all do the same to try to get some pressure applied to Honda. Go to NHTSA.com and register your complaint.

Update from Oct 28, 2018: Website to register complaint with National HighwayTransportation Safety Adm. is NHTSA.gov

- Donald H., Chicago, US

Jun 152018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Checked the oil level when I first purchased it in March of 2018 and it was fine. Didn't check it for about two months and then discovered it was over full. Searched on the internet about the problem and discovered that other people were experiencing the same thing. Called the dealer and they ask me to bring it in. They changed the oil and filter free of charge. They said that they were not aware of the problem. They contacted Honda and the Honda contact was aware this was happening. I checked my oil level after they changed the oil and filter and the oil was above the orange plastic tip on the dipstick. Now after 800 miles, the oil level is about 0.2 inches higher. I bought this car outright - no trade and paid cash. I am sick! I have owned Hondas since 1973 and have had great service from the vehicles in the past. One Accord that my son "inherited" from his mother attained 430,000 mostly trouble free miles. I don't think I will ever own another Honda, but don't know how to successfully get rid of this one. It sure won't last! Do not buy one of these! I should have done more research before I purchased it.

- Stanley M., Columbia City, Indiana, US

Aug 152018

• CVT transmission

Gas dilution in oil. I have a 2018 Honda CR-V touring that was purchased new 12/11/2017. I change my oil and filter myself every 5,000 miles. The first two oil changes I really didn't pay close attention to how much oil was removed from the oil change. I save the old oil to be recycled and saved the oil from the 15,000(8/15/18) and 20,000(10/13/18) changes in separate containers . 10/13/18 i read a article about oil dilution from gas, I calibrated a gallon jug at 3.7 qts(118 oz) and 4 qts(128oz). The 15,000 oil changed filled the jug completely(138oz) and and still had (12oz) left over for a total of (32oz) more than max fill, the 20,000 oil change was (6oz) over the 4qt mark for a total of (16oz) above max fill. The oil was very black and the viscosity is very thin and has some gas smell. I have not in cured gas odor inside of the cabin. Most of the mileage is on the highway with minimum lengthen of 30 miles per trip. I have an appointment with my dealer to have tire rotated 10/15/18 and I plan to present the data to them and see what their response is..

Update from Oct 18, 2018: On 8/15/18 took my car to the dealer for tire rotation and wheel alignment, during that time I talked to the Service Manager and presented him with all the data from the two oil changes along with the oil from the changes. He said this was the first complaint he had heard of at the dealer which is new and only been open about 6 months. He took a sample of the oil and agreed that it smelled of gas and that he would contact Honda Tech line and get back with me, have not heard back as of 3:30PM 10/18/18. I took a 80ml sample of oil today (184 miles since oil change) and the oil is already very dark and smells of gas. I am going to call and make a formal complaint so there is a case #.

Update from Oct 24, 2018: Dealer called me back and said that Honda was aware of the problem and that it was with the software causing to much injector fuel pressure and they are working on a solution, he also said Honda said that it would not cause any damage to the engine, do they think that everybody knows anything about engine lubrication. He did offer to change my oil anytime I felt that it needed it due to fuel in the oil, so I will. I ordered a 100 ml Syringe with Handy Plastic Tubing, Care joy Large Plastic Industrial Syringe + 80 cm(31.5 in) Long Hose Fluid Suction Injector for Scientific Labs Injecting, Drawing Oil, Fluid and Water from Amazon for $8 and Acrux 7 50 ml Plastic Centrifuge Tubes & Blue Screw Cap, 30 Pack Clear Plastic Vial, Graduated Every 5 ML, Standing Plastic Vial, Small Plastic Bottle, Sample Vials, Plastic Test Tube for Cold Storage for $15. The tubing fits down the dip stick tube which means you can get a oil sample anytime you want and the storage tubes are great for retaining you samples. I got a sample after just 184 miles after oil change and the oil was already black and smelled of gas. Will have the dealer change oil and filter after just 500 miles due to i will be taking a 900 mile trip two days after oil change.

- John Z., Bishop, TX, US

Oct 082018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

200 miles and already fuel in oil. 1 quart over on stick, smell in cabin and I live in San Diego so not a cold weather problem.

- Ken B., San Diego, US