ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2018 Honda CR-V engine problems: fuel in oil with overfilled oil level, gas smell in cabin

Fuel In Oil With Overfilled Oil Level, Gas Smell In Cabin

2018 Honda CR-V

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Honda dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: It's rare when a newer vehicle has defect trends. Judging from the identical 2017 model year, the 2018 Honda CR-V is likely to have at least two — overfilled oil levels with a gas smell, & heat not working.

Both problems affecting the Honda CR-V's 1.5L "Earth Dreams" engine appear to be related to cold-climate regions.

CR-V owners report overfilled oil levels due to fuel in the oil, & sometimes a gas smell in the cabin. That problem appears to be related to fuel injection which Honda hopes to fix via a software update. Honda so far has only proposed a recall in China, & regulators there have rejected it because they don't think Honda's plan is sufficient.

CR-V owners also report no heat even after warming up their CR-Vs for 30 minutes — not even enough to defrost the windshield. So far, there has been no fix from Honda for this issue.

8.7

2018 Honda CR-V engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2018 Honda CR-V:

2018 Honda CR-V Owner Comments

Aug 152018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Gas dilution in oil. I have a 2018 Honda CR-V touring that was purchased new 12/11/2017. I change my oil and filter myself every 5,000 miles. The first two oil changes I really didn't pay close attention to how much oil was removed from the oil change. I save the old oil to be recycled and saved the oil from the 15,000(8/15/18) and 20,000(10/13/18) changes in separate containers . 10/13/18 i read a article about oil dilution from gas, I calibrated a gallon jug at 3.7 qts(118 oz) and 4 qts(128oz). The 15,000 oil changed filled the jug completely(138oz) and and still had (12oz) left over for a total of (32oz) more than max fill, the 20,000 oil change was (6oz) over the 4qt mark for a total of (16oz) above max fill. The oil was very black and the viscosity is very thin and has some gas smell. I have not in cured gas odor inside of the cabin. Most of the mileage is on the highway with minimum lengthen of 30 miles per trip. I have an appointment with my dealer to have tire rotated 10/15/18 and I plan to present the data to them and see what their response is..

Update from Oct 18, 2018: On 8/15/18 took my car to the dealer for tire rotation and wheel alignment, during that time I talked to the Service Manager and presented him with all the data from the two oil changes along with the oil from the changes. He said this was the first complaint he had heard of at the dealer which is new and only been open about 6 months. He took a sample of the oil and agreed that it smelled of gas and that he would contact Honda Tech line and get back with me, have not heard back as of 3:30PM 10/18/18. I took a 80ml sample of oil today (184 miles since oil change) and the oil is already very dark and smells of gas. I am going to call and make a formal complaint so there is a case #.

- John Z., Bishop, TX, US

Oct 082018

CR-V Touring 1.5L

200 miles and already fuel in oil. 1 quart over on stick, smell in cabin and I live in San Diego so not a cold weather problem.

- Ken B., San Diego, US

Jul 172018

CR-V EX 1.5L Turbo

Vehicle was purchased new with 18 miles in March 2018. 1st oil change at dealership where vehicle was purchased was done at 6500miles. At the time because of initial issues with oil in the engine on 2017 models I kept checking the oil level even before the first oil change. No issues until this week, I topped off the coolant level and checked the oil level. Oil was very liquid and well above maximum level on dipstick. Called American Honda Motors and opened a case number.

Took vehicle to the dealership the next day (Spring Branch Honda-Houston Texas) service advisor checked my complaint and said that he had never seen anything like it in all his years. Next day he said that the dealer service manager and Honda Techline were involved, they checked each individual cylinder and no pressure loss was detected or any other anomalies. Since there were no warning lights and no symptoms of a problem found, they send me on my way. (I had no gas odor detected and no check engine light(s) ever went on)

They changed the oil at no charge and asked that I come back at 15K miles which was next minor service. I am leaving for a long trip in a few days. Stay tuned'

The vehicle was purchased in Texas, so this issue is not limited to cold weather climates .Motor Trend's 2018 SUV of the year...2018 KBB Best Buy Compact SUV/Crossover and 2018 US News Best SUV for the Money? I'm guessing they never heard of this issue on the 2017's which continues on the 2018 with no fix in sight.

Update from Aug 5, 2018: Long drive to upstate NY, American Honda called advising me they were closing the case. I said that how could they since it was not resolved. Called back and asked me to have Honda dealership in Rochester, NY look at vehicle. Ralph Honda checked vehicle with their best technician, Honda Tech Line again involved. Was told that they saw no codes and it was a "known issue" with Honda and they are seeking a solution.

HOW ABOUT REPLACING THE ENGINE WITH THE NON TURBO MODEL....

- lostfaith, Houston, US

Sep 052018

CR-V EX-L With Navi 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

I expect American Honda motor company to fix the problem like they did for the Chinese and Canadian owners.

- James F., Medford, US

May 052018

CR-V EX 1.5L

• CVT transmission

HONDA please step up and do something about your 1.5L turbo engine before you lose all your customers!

- Jason H., Simi Valley, CA, US

Aug 042018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

CHANGE OIL AND FILTER WITH1890 MILES BECAUSE IS OVERFILLED LEVEL WITH GAS SMELL.

- Daniel C., South Dartmouth, MA, US

Jun 012018

CR-V EXL 1.5L

• CVT transmission

Purchased my 2018 Honda CRV EXL to replace our 2006 Odyssey van that was totaled out in an accident. We actually had 211,000 miles on the van with no problems. This CRV's oil in the gas issue is a major issue for me. This is the first major problem I've had with any Honda cars and I own 7 Honda/Acura vehicles. I plan to call and see what my options are. If they do not address this, I may never buy another Honda again.

- Anthony D., Grand Ledge, US

May 252018

CR-V Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

When the oil dip stick was pulled, there was a strong smell of gasoline coming out of the dip stick hole, and it showed the oil was overfilled with factory oil in the engine. It was overfilled by at least 1/4 inch. When the engine oil was drained during the first oil change at 5827 miles, the oil had a very strong smell of gasoline. The oil seemed like there was almost no viscosity left, and drained like water out of the crankcase. The engine oil was diluted with gasoline.

- Haibin W., Albany, US

May 202018

CR-V EX-L 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Checked the oil dipstick at 1500 miles. Oil level is above the upper mark and strong smell of gasoline on the dipstick. Called Honda dealer today but had to leave a voice mail of the issue. Have not received a response back yet. Found many posts on several web sites with this issue on the CRV and Civic, so it's an engine issue - not just my individual vehicle.

- Wayne R., Mountlake Terrace, US

Mar 012018

CR-V Touring 1.5t

• CVT transmission

Never got to enjoy the new car smell that I paid a lot of money for. Smells like an old carburetor engine with the choke stuck.

- nexttonormal, Bloomington, US

Apr 222018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L 4 cyl Turbo

• CVT transmission

I cannot believe that a brand new car has an issue this bad. It would be one thing if this oil dilution issue were due to an obviously bad part, which Honda could replace and completely fix the issue...but Honda says oil dilution is normal and acceptable. A little oil dilution may be acceptable in Direct Injected engines but, not to this extent! I'm really worried about the long-term effects of the dilution because the oil is not able to properly lube the mechanical parts in its current condition. And the fix is not "change your oil more often."This is either a design flaw, or a faulty manufacturing issue. Either way, if Honda does not step-up and address the issue I will be selling this vehicle and purchasing a new 2019 RAV4.

What stinks the most to me is that this CR-V is my family's 5th Honda vehicle ('02 Civic, '06 RSX Type-S, '08 Accord, '12 Odyssey, '18 CR-V) and it's the first one to have a problem right out of the gate. I know Honda is better than this, but it seems like they don't care.

- Johnny M., Louisville, KY, US

Mar 012018

CR-V Touring 1.5L Turbo

• CVT transmission

Gasoline keeps building up in the oil and it registers as overfilled on the dipstick. Dealer (under massive protest) changed the engine oil at 2200 miles but it is only a temporary fix.

- Michael G., Gresham, OR, US

Apr 012018

CR-V EX-L 1.5L

• CVT transmission

At 500 miles I noticed an oil level increase / due to fuel?

In cold weather so far between 30F-45F the cars take a long time to warm up. At 32F it took 10 miles to get to 185F (measured via Scangauge 2)

- Laszlo B., Wyndmoor, US

Oct 272017

CR-V LX 1.5L Turbo

Gas in the oil can't be good.....since they don't seem to be doing anything about it......I want a 10 year bumper to bumper warranty

- Rick S., Welland, ON, Canada

Mar 172018

CR-V EX

Third oil change in a month was received on 3/15 for fuel in oil. On 3/17, after doing some shopping, I started my car. My 6 year old and her friend were in the backseat and started complaining, begging me to roll the windows down. The gas fumes in the interior of the car were that bad. Only two days after the oil change! That is a safety issue. Reporting to my dealer.

Feb 192018

CR-V EX

Our MPG started to suck, and we noticed it would hesitate on acceleration sometimes. I would smell gas fumes but didn't think anything of it, in the winter scents are a bit more noticeable, thought it was another car. Then one day we were heading to visit family and the kids started complaining about the smell of gas in the back seat, it was making them sick. Turning off the heat helped.

I asked on a CRV Forum I'm part of on Facebook, and someone advised checking my oil for being overfull and smelling like gas. It didn't appear overfull, but I smelled it (yes, I smelled my dipstick) and it burned my nose. No mistaken, it smelled just like gas out of the pump smells.

Brought it into the dealer 2 days later. Engine oil was overfull by 3/4 quart due to fuel dilution. Changed engine oil and filter. Dealer advised I'm one of over 50 people at this dealership with this issue. Further advised I was one of the "lucky" ones since my car didn't stall, strand me, and/or engine light didn't come on. Some have had to have work done due to damage. Dealer advised Honda had no clue, and for me to check my oil if I smelled fuel again.

I opened a case up this same day with Honda, #06702985. Case mgr called me on 2/22 and I missed the call. I called back and left a message. Never heard from Honda until after my next incident, of which I will file my next complaint and continue the story.

Feb 282018

CR-V EX

Here we are, part two. First oil change at 3953 miles on 2/19. First I should say, I live in a rural area. I do not drive frequent, short distances.

On 2/25 I drove 50+ miles one way to do shopping. Got to the first store, just fine. Went to the next store, smelt faint fumes. Third store, overtook the cabin, it was horrible. Went to visit family, out to eat, then traveled 50 miles back home. The long drive made the strong smell go away. Got home, left the car running long enough to bring groceries in, brought the car into the garage, promptly shut it off. Shut the garage door. About 15 minutes later came out to put groceries in the deep freezer and the garage REEKED of fuel. I put the car outside.

On 2/27 I called Honda again, still had not heard from my case manager. Got voice mail. So I called back, spoke to someone and they tried reaching my case manager. Unavailable. So I posted on Honda's FB page and that got a response. I gave them my case # and advised what was happening. Called the dealer, made an appt for 2/28. Brought the car in that day (these are 50 mile one way trips to the deal) and again, oil overfull. Changed oil and filter. Mileage 4272.