2003 Honda Odyssey seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Honda Odyssey:

2003 Honda Odyssey Owner Comments (Page 5 of 6)

Oct 292014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Phoned the Honda telephone number listed on a document from Honda's web site entitled "a message to our customers about airbag safety" I provided all of the requested information and asked the Honda representative if my vehicle had a "takata" airbag installed in the vehicle. The Honda representative said that this information was not accessible to them. I told the Honda rep that I was concerned because the primary driver of the vehicle was of small stature, which influences the seat positioning, and therefore I wanted to confirm if a "takata" airbag was installed in the vehicle. The Honda representative said that the only way to be 100% certain was for me to take my vehicle to a Honda dealer and have them disassemble the car and take out the air bag and determine the manufacturer of the airbag visually. The Honda representative said that it would be my responsibility to pay for that service and that it would not be covered by Honda. I think this is very shoddy customer service and it is unacceptable that a manufacturer of automobiles does not have sufficient traceability such that the maker and part number of a component which is so obviously important to safety (an airbag) is known for a particular vehicle. NHTSA is the line of last resort for consumers in situations such as these. The Agency should protect the driving public from manufacturers who refuse to recall defective product that they have long ago sold and reaped the profits from.

- Seymour, IN, USA

Oct 222014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Honda currently has a recall on 2002-2004 Odyssey driver-side air bag for vehicles purchased or registered in "high relative humidity" states (NHTSA recall 14V-351). My '03 Odyssey is purchased and registered in Illinois and not included. However, the vehicle is currently driven by my daughter who is attending college in state of Alabama, one of the "high relative humidity" states included in the recall, for quite some time now. I called the american Honda to discuss about the situation and they did not want to include my vehicle even though it's operated in those affected states. I'm writing to you to express my concerns about the ways this recall is handled. This recall is climate-related safety issue. Any owner who can show proof of operations in those affected region should be allowed and be included in the recall, like my case presented. I'd appreciate your investigation into this matter and make Honda to expand the recall to include vehicles that's "operated" in those states, not just "purchased" or "registered". sincerely.

- Palatine, IL, USA

Jul 242014

Odyssey 6-cyl

On July 24th, 2014 my wife was driving (with one of our young sons) her 2003 Honda Odyssey about 30-35 mph on a neighborhood street. Without any collision or contact with any other object both front airbags and the driver side airbag spontaneously deployed. She was able to pull off to the right shoulder of the road and called me for assistance. Not long afterwards a town of mount pleasant police officer stopped to render assistance. We explained what happened and he confirmed there was no collision and advised me to take photos of the vehicle (which I did). He stated he couldn┐┐T write a police report since there was no collision or accident. We had the Odyssey towed to a body shop. My wife suffered a large contusion, burn and hematoma of the left arm which has been very painful requiring her to visit her physician. We contacted the local Honda dealership (rick hendricks Honda) who told my wife that what happened with the airbags was impossible without a collision and stated there was no recall regarding airbags for this car. We contacted the national Honda customer service center who assigned us a case manager. We found out on our own there is a recall for the airbag sensor because of this very issue (spontanious airbag deployment). We were never contacted by Honda about the recall. A month latter, Honda still has our car and has not fixed the problem.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Feb 012013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the air bag sensor illuminated. The contact stated that the vehicle was repaired under recall NHTSA campaign id number: 13V412000 (airbags). However, the failure recurred. Also, the contact noticed a seat belt sensor code intermittently illuminated on the instrument panel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the seatbelt sensor associated with the air bag malfunctioned. As a result, the independent mechanic referred that the contact to an authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 100,000.

- San Fernandina Beach, FL, USA

Apr 022014

Odyssey 6-cyl

My father just had exited the highway (going 70 mph) and 10 seconds later after taking the exit, he heard a loud bang (described as an explosion) and all the airbags in our Honda Odyssey 2003 model deployed. There was smoke and he could not see. His arm was injured and bruised in this process. Since this was a major cross-section at an overpass above the highway, he immediately pulled over and got off the car. There were tons of cars and subsequently the other drivers started honking since he was right at the intersection while turning left. Keep in mind this is a major intersection! if his airbags had deployed just 10 seconds earlier, who knows what would have happened. A little bit about the car: Honda had recalled this car so my dad had brought it in to their showroom. Honda had then said everything was okay! how could this have happened if everything was okay" this is a major safety issue! my dad is now terrified of driving the car because who knows if it will happen again. After this incident happened, triple a brought the car to Honda's showroom. Honda then had the audacity of accusing my father of "maybe getting into an accident or rear ending someone." They then went on to charge my dad money to even run the diagnostics of the car. Why would he lie" clearly his arm is bruised and this is an honest man! again, this was a recalled car and this car put my dad and other drivers in harm's way. Honda refuses to even acknowledge that this was their fault. Something must be done, Honda and other car companies cannot keep getting away with this. Poor consumers buy their products because we trust them (we own two Honda, including me!). now even I am terrified that something like this could happen to me and my Honda civic.

- Plano, TX, USA

Feb 212014

Odyssey 6-cyl

Driving children to school at 20 mph, driver seat belt locked with a pop and would not let you move forward, passenger seat belt locked with a pop and would not let you move, about 5 to 10 secs later loud bang and front passenger bag deployed another 5 to 10 secs later another loud bang from the front passenger airbag area. SRS light came on, seat belts still locked will not move in or out. Driver airbag not deployed. Drove vehicle to local Honda dealer.

- Flower Mound, TX, USA

Jul 162013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the supplemental restraint system sensor light illuminated. The vehicle was diagnosed by the dealer, who advised that the SRS sensor was faulty and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified and no solution was offered. The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Vacaville , CA, USA

Dec 212013

Service safety recall regarding SRS malfunction was performed on my van by paul miller Honda in caldwell, NJ on 12/21/2013. After the work was done, the SRS malfunction light comes on after 30 minutes of driving. Notified dealer and american Honda. American Honda opened a case for this, N012014-01-0200225. Was advised for a complete diagnostic report from the dealer. Went back to dealer for test on 1/4/14 and a dtc code 53-31, internal failure of SRS unit, was called out on test. Wants SRS unit replaced at my own expense. Advised by dealer that this not related to recall. The recall was adding wires on the harness wires set to the SRS unit. I was advised by american Honda to seek diagnostic test to other dealer. Went to garden state Honda in passaic, NJ on 1/22/14 for a more thorough test. The dealer insist on replacing 2 year battery as this might causes dtc 53-31. Cca on battery was 450, recommended is 550. Told advisor that cca is for cold cranking/starting of van and irrelevant to the problem as long as output is a sustained 12 vdc and I do not have problem when starting the van. Forced to comply at my own expense. Problem still exists with new battery. On 2/6/14 and after 3 trips, dealer recommends replacement of SRS unit on my own expense and not related to recall like the first dealer. The dealer is uncertain if this will resolve the issues. This will be elimination process at my own expense. Van has never had any SRS fault for 10 years. Only after the recall was done when SRS fault light comes on. Now, safety of the driver and passengers are compromised. Air bag may deploy or may not deploy if and when needed. American Honda will not cover the expenses based on the recommendation of dealer. Honda should shoulder all expenses related to the resolution of the SRS fault and the safety of the vehicle. Driver and passenger... updated 02/27/14

- Belleville, NJ, USA

Jan 212014

Odyssey 6-cyl

SRS light appears. The mini-van was taken to service center and I was informed that the driver side airbag inflator module was defective and it needs to be replaced. I note that there is a recall on the 2003 Honda Odyssey driver side airbag inflator module recalls recalls and other components. However, Honda refuses to include my van in the recall. National Highway Traffic Safety Administration should include all 2003 Honda Odyssey in the recall.

- Germantown, MD, USA

Nov 272013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the driver was traveling approximately 30 mph and crashed into the rear of another vehicle. The air bags failed to deploy. The contact was seated in the front passenger's seat and sustained a concussion, severe neck pain and was transported to the hospital via ambulance. The police were called to the scene and a report was filed. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 125,000.

- Chatham, VA, USA

Dec 122013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V412000 (air bags) however, after the recall repair was performed the air bag light continued to illuminate. The dealer would not provide additional repairs. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 150,000.

- Venice, FL, USA

Nov 092013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 13V412000 (air bag) and took the vehicle to the dealer for the remedy repair. The SRS warning light was illuminated at the time. The dealer stated that he could not repair the failure because the remedy was for the failure was not included in the recall remedy. The contact believed that the failure was related to the recall. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure was 174,000.

- Plaquemine, LA, USA

Nov 262013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that the SRS warning light remained illuminated. The vehicle was taken the dealer where the technician diagnosed that the air bag was defective. The vehicle was included in NHTSA campaign number: 13V412000 (air bag) however, the dealer stated that the specific failure of the vehicle would not be covered under the recall campaign. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate mileage was 178,397. Updated 2/4/14

- Ooltewah , TN, USA

Jun 152013

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while traveling approximately 70 mph, another vehicle crashed into the contact head-on. The air bags failed to deploy. The front passenger sustained neck, knee, and chest injuries. The rear passenger sustained injuries to the abdomen. A police report was not filed. The vehicle was destroyed. The manufacturer was not contacted about the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 105,000.

- Cool Rapids, MN, USA

Apr 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The SRS warning light, indicating a problem with the airbags, illuminates periodically. Sometimes when I turn the car off and back on, the SRS light goes out, but it has been coming on more and more often.

- Choctaw, OK, USA

Sep 122013

Air bag light is on, technician says they won't deploy in an accident, although the car has never had a crash. We are original owners. Tech says it will cost $1,500 to fix them. Seems like a manufacturing defect.

- Mckinney, TX, USA

Jan 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The SRS instrument panel light came on and stays lit, indicating some kind of fault with the supplemental restraint system. I have a 2003 Honda Odyssey ex and I have become aware of the ongoing investigation (NHTSA action number: PE13020) regarding the deployment of airbags without a crash in this model year and model. I wanted to report that I too have the SRS light that has come on and stays lit in my van. I am worried that the airbag will deploy while driving and cause an accident and/or injury to the driver or passenger.

- Montgomery, AL, USA

Aug 012013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The airbag light comes on and stays on (2003 Honda Odyssey). I noticed that this is somehow linked to when I shut off my ac in preparation for reaching my destination, leaving the air running with air recycle on. I have taken it to the Honda dealer thrice. When they ran a check the code indicated a problem in the cable. They managed to get the light turned off the first time around indicating that the cable may need to be changed. When the light came back on the second time about a week later the cable was changed. This time the light came back on even before I got the vehicle home from the dealer. The third time I was told that the code indicates a need for cable change and since the cable is new that is not a problem and will require an expensive investigation to get to the bottom of the issue. Since the light was out then they asked to try it out. Again three days later, today 8/26/2013 the light came on as I reached my drive way. This time too I had turned off the ac, leaving the air running for the last couple of minutes. I had been testing this since my third visit to the dealer (3 days ago) and today the light came on again.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 032013

Odyssey 6-cyl

SRS airbag warning light came on and stays on. When we had this checked at our local Honda dealer, thelen Honda (bay city, mi), we were told that the SRS unit has an internal malfunction would need to be replaced at a cost of about $650 to us. We have had all routine service completed at the Honda dealer since we purchased the van. Recently, our 2002 Honda civic was recalled for an airbag defect and this was remediated at the same dealer under the Honda recall. This would seem to be a company systemic manufacturing defect worthy of manufacturer recall and replacement.

- Midland, MI, USA

Jun 182013

Odyssey 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Honda Odyssey. The contact stated that while driving 15 mph, the front air bags deployed inadvertently. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, but was not repaired. The failure and current mileages were 197,000.

- Tequesta, FL, USA