ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

$12,170

2. dealership reconnected module (1 reports)
2008 Hyundai Elantra steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Hyundai Elantra:

2008 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Jan 122016

Elantra GS

As I mentioned before the steering wheel can get jammed at any point while driving, making it impossible to do anything. Many times I have almost crushed or got into car accident. This is frustrating because supposedly it was supposed to be fixed by dealer on recall item#127 and 110 last year, but the same problems started reappearing again. It's very dangerous to drive this car!

- Irina S., Spokane, WA, USA

Jan 182013

Elantra

Beware of the 2007-2009 Hyundai Elantra they are cheap for a reason and I will never trust another Hyundai again. If I won one in a contest I would get rid of it immediately. The transmission seems like it's going to fail at any moment, the electric power steering is a constant problem, the interior makes rattling noises, the headlights allow moisture causing the bulbs to fail regularly, it's an all around piece of crap.

If I had more money and time before I bought this car, I would have defiantly bought something else but I am a college student that has a lengthy commute, on a tight budge and my '96 Neon was eating me alive each month. Do yourself a favor don't buy a 2207-2009 Hyundai Elantra I can't speak for Hyundai's other models but I will not but another Hyundai made car again.

- Greg L., Beloit, WI, USA

Apr 112012

Elantra SE 2.0L

My 20 year old daughter lost the steering on a turn and went off the road. Brought car to dealer, they reprogrammed computer for 220 dollars same thing happened a week later.

I called Hyundai main office said bring car to dealer have it fixed for 2400. dollars and because I'm such a loyal customer the would take care of me. NOT they jerk me around for 3 mouths and said it was out of warranty. Last Hyundai for me they lost a good customer.

- Gerard E., West Islip, NY, USA

Jan 202012

Elantra LS

Took back to same dealership, repair estimate $2500.00 which is total crap. This electronic power steering is a piece of crap. The dealership is now stating the motor in the electronic power steering is out. As far as I am concerned it should be considered a safety issue with this car! The manual says you can drive it like that but if I have to maneuver that car in a split second I WILL have an accident. This particular problem with this car should be considered a default. This car is 4 years old and no way with the mileage should something like this be out. I will never purchase another Hyundai product and spread the word about this issue.

- Edna G., Spring, TX, USA

Nov 072011

Elantra LS

I was on my way home from work and proceeded to turn the corner under the freeway and the car acted like it died and could hardly control the steering. The steering wheel would hardly move. Took it to the dealership and they stated they weren't sure why the module had come loose but they reconnected it. It worked for about 60 days.

- Edna G., Spring, TX, USA

Aug 012011

Elantra

This was a scary moment for me .. I was driving my car approx 45-50 mph when the steering wheel wouldnt move. I tried to turn but my car continued to go straight . I had all I can do to get the car to turn a little bit as it felt as though something had snapped. I was able to turn the car enough so that i did not go onto the side walk and hit a building. Once I put the car in park, the steering wheel would not move at all. This couldve been a very dangerous outcome. I had the car towed to the neareast Hyundai dealership. It was found that the problem was a faulty part in the steering column and it will need to be replaced. How do I possibly begin to feel safe driving myself let alone my 5 year old son around in this vehicle.

- lildmc623, West Wyoming, PA, USA