ANNOUNCEMENT: The Car Book 2018 is now online!

2013 Hyundai Elantra engine problems: clicking noise from engine after turning car off

Clicking Noise From Engine After Turning Car Off

2013 Hyundai Elantra

This problem may be covered under warranty. Ask your Hyundai dealer.

CarComplaints.com Seal Of This Might Hurt

CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

7.3

2. replace engine block (1 reports)
2013 Hyundai Elantra engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments

Dec 112017

Elantra GT 1.8L

My 2013 Elantra GT was purchased in May 2016 with extended warranty. In October 2017, it started to make a clicking sound. I brought the car in to the dealership in November 2017, and they told me that I needed a new engine block and that they would need to "verify" if this problem would be covered under my extended warranty. Finally, a month later, in December 2017, it was approved for work to be conducted in April, when the dealership was supposed to receive the parts.

During the 5-month wait, my engine failed a couple of times while driving on the highway. I called the dealership and they told me to bring in the car. I did, and they said that my engine was now only working as a V3 and not a V4, as it should be. They replaced my fuel injectors and the related pieces (which I had to pay for since they said it was unrelated to the original engine problem).

I have recurring engine failures and the clicking sound from the engine is getting louder and louder. This problem is affecting other parts of my car that may not be covered under the extended warranty, and then who will be liable to fix those problems??

It is now June 2018 and I still have not received a phone call or an appointment to have my engine fixed. I am extremely disappointed in Hyundai Canada's lack of consideration for their customers and the lack of customer service at the dealership.

- Julia C., Montreal, QC, Canada

Jul 012012

Elantra

The motor makes a TAK TAK TAK sound when the car is shut off. We have seen a spark, also trying to pin point where it is coming from. I've made several trips to the dealer for them to check the car and we were told each time they can't hear anything, and to feel free to come back if it continues. After several visits to the dealer they agreed to keep the car and check it out some more only to call us and say they still can't hear anything. I've taken a video of the car making the sound and sent to the dealer and we never received a call back on it.

The car, also when you crank it, makes a sound like it has a belt issue. The dealer advised this was normal for a Hyundai. We have asked about the RPM's surging while diving sometimes and were told once again they can't find anything wrong with the car..

- melindaal, Satsuma, AL, USA

Sep 242012

Elantra Coupe Se 1.8L

Bought the Hyundai elantra new off the lot with 43 miles, trading a honda civic si 2007 for it. big mistake. Since I've had the car, I been to the dealer twice with issues. First issue a strange hiss noise from the exhaust, when accelerating. Dealer said that was normal, never have had a car do that but then again I've had hondas. Second trip back a clicking noise every time i turn the car off, dealer said that was normal. Apparently the throttle body is resetting itself. Never heard that before, but i have always had hondas. Well now i want my honda back, so i have to wait at least a year to trade for one. I always speak highly of Hyundai, just from the warranty aspect and their styling is at the top. Yes the cars lack performance but you can over look that based there Hyundai assurance, but the customer care really is shitting, I'd rather them replace the throttle body to confirm that, that is a part of what the car does than the shitting answer i was given. I could go on, but i have the vehicle so i'll make the most of it while I have it, but my next vehicle will once again be a honda.

- cavc, Chandler, AZ, USA