CarComplaints.com Notes: We're not used to seeing any major problems with Hyundai, which makes the early signs of trouble with the 2013 Elantra very surprising, in a bad way.

Early trends show problems with the steering wandering / pulling to one side along with premature tire wear. Elantra owners have tried sensor adjustments, wheel alignments, even replacing axles, most with no luck. Hyundai has made vehicle buybacks through arbitration, but that rarely works out well financially for owners in the end.

Also there is a pattern of complaints about the 2013 Elantra brakes grinding at very low mileage. It seems there was a bad batch of OEM pads & rotors, but so far Hyundai is not doing a recall. Instead Hyundai issued a TSB & dealers have been replacing pads & rotors on a per-complaint basis.

The final straw is that for several years in a row, Elantra owners report significantly lower gas mileage than the EPA estimates, & there's a small trend of engine problems.

2013 Hyundai Elantra wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Hyundai Elantra:

2013 Hyundai Elantra Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

May 012014

Elantra 4-cyl

Our Elantra began making grinding noises when we pressed on the brake pedal that sounded like the brakes or rotor were defective. When the shop inspected the car, they said they could not duplicate the noise, and told us the car was in perfect shape. Over the next few months, the noise became louder when braking, plus it began making a whump-whump-whump noise that appeared to be directly related to the speed and rotation of the wheels. The sound would increase when we steered the car to the right, and would decrease when we steered left. The whumps were barely audible at 5 mph, but were overly loud at 40 mph. I thought it was plastic trim fluttering in the wind, but could not find anything loose. When we took it to the shop again, I think in August, I told them the car was not drivable that they needed to find out what was causing the whump noises and the grinding noises when we applied the brakes. This time they found the problem was caused by the bolt holding the left wheel coming unscrewed. They tightened the bolt under warranty repair service, and the car has not made the whump noise or had grinding brakes since the repair. I doubt this problem was limited to one car in the fleet, and I believe Hyundai should have issued an advisory to their shop managers to be watching for this problem so that it would have been found and corrected the first time that we took the car in.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA

Oct 112014

Elantra

My daughter has a Hyundai Elantra 2013 with 6700 miles, she was driving at 60mph on a freeway and her passenger front tire blew out. She lost control and ran into the concrete barrier on the freeway. She has frame and body damage to her front end. Thank god she is ok except for her collar bone area being bruised from her seat belt. She did not hit anything before the blow out. She could have been seriously hurt. No tire with only 6700miles should have a blow out like this one did. The car has nexen CP671 tires. I am waiting on nexen tire company to call me back. Hyundai really has not offered any help.

- Pearland, TX, USA

Oct 072014

Elantra 4-cyl

Second side wall tire blow out on Hyundai Elantra was driving on a pretty typical road (bumps etc) but no huge chuck holes and tire sidewall gave out.

- Twinsburg, OH, USA

Sep 222014

Elantra 4-cyl

Tires that came factory on the vehicle did not last as long as the tire was rated from the manufactures website. They are nearly bald, due to highway driving, and the manufacture and car company will not honor the tread life warranty. They said that there is not an owner warranty because I did not purchase the tires. This is confusing to me, only because I bought a $24,000 car! Continental was contacted by me to discuss this, and I've taken my vehicle to the dealer. Neither is willing to accept the fact that the tires did not last like they had advertised. Next vehicle I purchase I plan on removing anything with the name Continental on it.

- Virginia Beach, VA, USA

Sep 092014

Elantra 4-cyl

On September 9, 2014, my daughter was driving our 2013 Hyundai Elantra (purchased January 2014) to school on a surface street. She stopped at a stop light and upon accelerating heard a loud noise and pulled over immediately into a parking space. She noticed that she had a flat tire. She called me immediately and I showed up to change the tire. I noticed a large hole in the oem hankook optimo tire and I took it to the dealer (Hyundai inland empire) for repair. The hole was too big to repair and I was told that I needed to replace the tire. Two hours later the service advisor called me and stated that I needed to replace the rim because it was cracked. The cost of replacement was $399 for the rim and $153.67 for the tire. I could not believe that the rim was cracked. There was no significant mechanism to crack the rim. This was a simple flat tire on a high traffic, 30 - 40 mph street, at 7:30 in the morning. Both of my daughters were in the car and both confirm that they heard a loud noise and pulled over immediately. There was no tire sidewall damage and no evidence of rim damage. I have owned 8 cars in my lifetime and have had several flat tires, and I have never had a cracked rim. This is an 8 month old car with low miles and there is no other reason for a cracked $399 rim, other than manufacture defect. I have researched the internet and have found 12 other reported cases of cracked rims in the 2013 Elantra. As a parent, who purchased this car for his daughter based on the safety rating, I am very concerned about the size of the tire blow-out and the cracked rim. I have contacted Hyundai, both customer care and the dealer, and they have refused to cover the cost of the rim or admit any defect or fault. A nine month old rim should not crack with a simple flat tire. The fact that 12 other cases have been reported in the last 9 months is substantial.

- Colton, CA, USA

Aug 112014

Elantra

Was making a left turn at a intersection and T boned a pick up truck, extensive damage to front end of the Elantra front end, [ air bags did not deploy on the Elantra ] even though the whole front end was tore off. Driver door damaged, windshield cracked both front fenders damaged, plus unknown if transmission and or transaxle has been damaged until the car can be repaired. Hyundai has stop any repairs until they send a Hyundai investigator to look at the car, which they say could take up to 6 to 8 weeks to check it.

- Rickman, TN, USA

Aug 282014

Elantra

The tires that came with my Elantra ((hankook H426 215/45 17) had to be replaced in less than 18 months as the side wall was bulging dangerously. My son who has a 2010 Elantra with hankook tires had a blow-out while driving. I think these hankook tires are dangerously unreliable. Thank you.

- Glencoe , IL, USA

Jul 232014

Elantra 4-cyl

Car purchased new (limited trim) in December 2012. During winter 2013 (Dec/Jan timefrime), I hit a significant pothole ona local highway on-ramp blowing out the front passenger-side tire. After being towed to a local repair shop (no spare tire supplied), tire was replaced with a new identical tire. Service station called asking for authorization to replace D/S front tire also since it had a side-wall bubble. I declined permission and when I picked up the car brought it to advantage Hyundai for the second tire. On July 11, 2014, I found another sidewall bubble on the D/S front tire and had the same dealer again sell me a new tire. Today 10 days later, another front D/S tire sidewall bubble. No abnormal potholes encountered. Including the blowout, this is four tire failures in 19 months and 25,000 miles. Tires are 17" low profiles and rubber is from hankook. Situation is unsettling. This is a dangerous situation for anyone driving in this vehicle.

- Bethpage, NY, USA

Jul 142014

Elantra

When driving on the freeway approx 65 mph and you hit a pothole or uneven road the car sways back and forth like a boat I have new tires and just got it aligned thinking it would help but it still sways and feels like it will jump into the other lane. I had noticed it before but didn't think too much until my son drove it and mentioned something. I have viewed the other complaints about this so I know I am not alone thinking this is unsafe.

- Canyon Country, CA, USA

Jun 152014

Elantra 4-cyl

Purchased 2013 Elantra less than a year ago with hankook tires. Driver side tire blew out on 6/15/14 at 11K miles. Thank god it happened going around a corner at slower speed than highway driving. Another tire on the rear was also blistered and ready to pop - we had to change before driving to avoid bending another rim should tire blow. Anyway, to make a long story short, neither dealer or tire manufacturer would take responsibility for this defect and cover under it their warranty. Out of pocket expenses currently at $1600. Had to purchase 4 good year tires (including rim, alignment, strut, etc) since no one is safe driving with tires that came with vehicle (18 yr old daughter is primary driver).

- Crystal Lake, IL, USA

Feb 012014

Elantra 4-cyl

Every few months one of the tires on our 2013 Elantra limited fails while driving. Our car currently has just 11,000 miles and is less than 1 year old and since we bought the car we have had 2 tires blow holes in the sidewall (months apart from each other) and a third developed a large blister. My dealer referred me to Hyundai cust svc, Hyundai customer service told me that they do not cover the tires at all and it is not their problem. Continental tire customer service told me that they manufactured the tire specifically for Hyundai and to their specifications and if there is an issue with design then I would have to pursue it through Hyundai because they do not warrant against "road hazards." I do not feel that this is a safe vehicle for my wife to continue to drive unless this situation is addressed. Currently we have had 2 tires blow out while driving leaving my wife stranded and without a spare (vehicle does not come with a spare!) the car then needs to be towed. Oem tire brand is Continental contiprocontact radial - 215/45R17 87H.

- Thornville, OH, USA

Jun 092014

Elantra 4-cyl

Purchased new 2013 from dealer. Mileage at pick up - 212. I picked the car up, approximately 2 wks after signing paperwork, because my mom was hospitalized. I drove the car for a couple of wks - to work, the hospital. I'm 48 yrs old, I drive cautiously. It's my first new car in 17 years. I'm parking far from all cars + being very careful with the car. The car has been having some problems so I gave it a really close inspection + discovered the front tire had a small bubble, the size of a quarter, in the outer wall. At that point mileage was under 700 miles. I returned to the dealer, salesman implied they would fix it - not the case. The dealer said not our product and sent me to a tire company who they said deals w/ nexen warranty paperwork - not the case. I called nexen on June 12th (mileage was approximately 726 miles) + reported it. I gave them tons of information + told them the name of the dealership manager I've been dealing with on the multiple car issues. They said they would call the dealership + see if they could get them to cooperate with them. They also said they were going to see about replacing the tire on a 1 time basis. To date I have heard nothing. The tires are written about extensively online - many people have trouble with this tire on this car. Some think it could be the combination of the tire size 17" + the car, speculating the car might not be able to handle this size. It's a huge safety issue. Bubbles equal blow outs, endangering the lives of those in the car + those driving or walking in close proximity. Hyundai is also misrepresenting the car and so are the sales people at mirak. I told them I did not want low profile tires. They told me they were not low profile tires. And they told me to look at the sticker. The sticker does not say low profile tires. But the tire pros say - they absolutely are low profile tires.

- Arlington, MA, USA

Jun 172014

Elantra

Flat tire. Brand new from the dealer only 22000 miles on the tire. Not past warranty. No work was ever done on the tire. Found out that it was purchased brand new with a plug in it.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Jun 132014

Elantra

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden my low pressure tire light came on. As I was slowing down, the passenger rear tire suddenly blew and I began fishtailing until I could control the vehicle and come to a complete stop on the side of the road. The vehicle came with hankook optimo tires, and they are only 10 months old with about 22000 miles on them, well under the warranty. Had to get a flatbed tow and purchase a brand new tire from local dealership.

- Cordova, TN, USA

Apr 152014

Elantra

The night I bought this car I drove home and there was a snow dusting on the road. The car seemed to float all over the road. Whenever I hit a small bump, pot hole, or a seam in the road (no matter how small) the car jerks out of control and swerves dangerously across the road. I thought I had to get used to the steering, but it has been a constant issue. I am very nervous for winter to lose control of the car and get into a serious accident.

- Olean, NY, USA

May 102014

Elantra

I was driving on I278 West bound in brooklyn, NY, and my driver side front tire went over a pot hole. It wasn't a deep pot hole since the impact was not severe, so I continue driving. After a minute of driving, the tire pressure indicator came on. That's when I pull over to the side of the highway, and called road side assistance. This has happened four times since I purchased the car. Three out of the 4 cases happened on the driver front wheel. They either had bubble on the sidewall, or completely blew out. There is definitely a problem with the tire design, or the material used. It is becoming extremely unsafe to drive the vehicle due to the frequency of tire blow out.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

Nov 202013

Elantra

Vehicle fishtails and sways when hitting a bump or a seam in the road. This happens every time. Yesterday evening I hit a seam in the road on a curve (dry pavement) and it threw me into the other lane. I'm grateful there was not a car in the other lane it would have caused an accident. Dealership states there is no recall or known issue but this is a very dangerous characteristic of this vehicle and it's going to cause great injury to an owner or passenger. In researching this problem there are many other 2013 Elantra owners experiencing this same issue.

- New Philadelphia, OH, USA

Apr 222014

Elantra

While driving my 2013 Hyundai Elantra down the highway @ approx 50mph, the left rear tire failed in the center of the tread. No warning. The car is driven by my teenage daughter for school and work. She hit nothing in the road. Hasn't hit anything with the tire. Dealership says it was due to a puncture. I refuse to believe that. If you have wire(s) showing, seems to me that would be a tire failure and not a simple puncture. This is not acceptable with me. Hankook tire warranty in New Jersey said to have the dealership send them the tire and they would inspect it to make a determination of failure or puncture. I have as much faith in them as I do the dealership at this point.

- Walker, LA, USA

Apr 142014

Elantra

The contact owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra. The contact stated that while traveling at unknown speeds, she hit a pot hole and experienced a blow out. Upon inspection, it was found that the vehicle was not equipped with a spare tire and the equipment provided was not sufficient to repair the blow out. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue. The approximate failure mileage was 9,000.

- Arverne, NY, USA

Mar 172014

Elantra 4-cyl

The car came with Continental tires and both the front tires sidewall have bubbles. Seems to be tire defect. Hyundai - brad benson Hyundai - NJ refused to cover the tires. Huyndai refused to replace the tires. Continental tires paid 50 % of the cost to replace both the front tires. I still paid 160/- for 2 front tires. There seems to be a defect in the tires or the Elantra 2013 4 dr ltd design. I would like to be compensated. I am scared to drive the car now. Maybe all 4 tires needs to be replaced.

- Dayton, NJ, USA